HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Callahan Or Dubinsky

View Poll Results: What do you do?
Trade Callahan and keep Dubinsky 44 44.90%
Trade Dubinsky and keep Callahan 54 55.10%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-04-2010, 09:05 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
Where is "C: Trade them both"?

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
It's easier to be considered a smarter player when, on a nightly basis, you demonstrate the ability to understand the game at a higher level than the other guy, which Callahan does.

If anything, the gap is closing. I'm a fan of both players, but Dubinsky isn't doing anything to show that he's got another level. It's disappointing, but it's the case, despite his little point streak that he's on.

Factor in that Dubinsky will have more value in a trade because of his reputation and, personally, the decision is easy to me. I'd rather hold on to the great third liner than the average second liner, especially when the average second liner will bring back a bigger return.

Callahan is already one of the NHL's best in his role. Dubinsky, you're not even sure what you get out of him on a game-by-game basis. Sometimes he looks like a legit top 6 forward, and other nights he looks like he belongs on the third line. There's only so long that this pattern can continue before you start to wonder what's going to happen with the guy.

I'd rather hold on to both, but I understand that Dubinsky is one of the few pieces on this team that could have any major value. To get something good, he's probably going to have to go.
Id rather hold on to both too. I've said repeatedly that, if this was actually a good team with solid personnel, Avery-Dubinsky-Callahan would probably be one of the best 3rd lines in the NHL. But I do think you're selling Dubinsky short here, which is strange because you go on to admit that Dubinsky has more value than Callahan on the trade market, which I agree with.

I also agree that Dubinsky is pretty inconsistent, but I think that has something to do with having much more on his plate than Callahan. Callahan has settled nicely into his 3rd liners role, and hes counted on to play energetic/physical hockey every night. At this point, any offensive contribution from him is pretty much considered a bonus.

I think Dubinsky could be just as successful in that role, but he plays with Gaborik and is expected to make plays and contribute offensively, and hes been doing it pretty damn well lately on a team that couldnt score in a whorehouse.

Dont get me wrong, I like Callahan. Hes an excellent 3rd liner. But he also handles the puck like its a hand grenade and has tunnel vision on the ice. I fail to see why Dubinsky receives the flack when hes a 2nd/3rd line tweener trying to reach his ceiling of a top 6 forward.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:45 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

This is how i feel.

You know what you are going to get from Callahan every night. He has shown the potential to score 20 goals already in his career, and he will excel in any situation you put him in sans the first line. With the right linemates... who knows. But we all know on a good team, hes a prototypical 3rd liner. He has extreme tenacity and hits every night. He has made the USA Olympic team because of this, and its a reward for his hard work, dedication and leadership.

Dubinsky is wildly inconsistent, and he's played over 200 NHL games and IMO is still aways away from where i thought he would be at this stage in his career. He has the potential to be a gamebreaker at times but on other nights hes a liability. Hes still learning to be a consistent player. I dont think that can be disputed. Some may think he has a bigger upside, i think his ceiling is at best a 2nd line center. Yeah, you are playing him on the 1st right now, but he isn't a 1st line center. Is that 2nd line center a marginal one or a very good one? Thats really the debate.

Both are signed for another year and are RFA status which is very appealing for their cap number.

I would rather keep Callahan. He is an Alternate Captain and on a good team he would be an extremely valuable 3rd line/PK player. If Tortorella is going to be around for a while, he also fits into what he wants to do to a tee. Not that Dubinksy doesnt, its just that his growth hasnt been achieved yet. And if you a trading one of these guys for Kovalchuk, youll need an open space at center to get the right guy in here to set him up. Dubinksy is not that guy, not from what ive seen. Hes better used on the wing as we have seen of late.

A lot depends on what the Rangers want from these guys and what they plan to do with the other contracts. Its kind of silly we are having this conversation when guys like Drury, Redden and Rozsival should be the first to go before having to do exactly what got us in this predicament the first playoff drought, which is selling off younger players to get veterans. I think Kovalchuk is an exception here though, which is scary.

Of course the best scenario would be to hold onto to both of them AND get Kovy.

But like Sting said, right now this is an easy decision IMO.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-04-2010 at 09:50 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 11:01 AM
aslim240

I assumed this was the same trade with one or the other.

I chose trade Callahan because Dubi can do pretty much everything Callahan can, but he is a little bigger and plays center.

But they are very similar players -- hardworking, streaky scoring, penalty killing, etc.

aslim240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Edge

Right now, both are in the same boat. Second/third line players on a good team.

Callahan might have the better results of the two, but Dubinsky likely has more natural ability.

Ideally, they play together.

If you force my hand, I probably hold on to Dubinsky over Callahan. But I wouldn't be happy about it, unless Dion Phaneuf is coming the other way.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:36 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Where is "C: Trade them both"?
Why? They aren't the problem on this team.

I'll take "D: Keep them both"

We all know who the dead weight players are on this team. Yeah, it will be incredibly difficult to get rid of them, but we aren't going to get better as a team until we do.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:54 PM
satrabyk

Both are pretty decent 2nd line players but if it was up to me i would defenitely keep Dubinsky over Callahan. I think they both are phsyical and play tough, but Dubi is capable of much more offensive talent over Callahan.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Garfinkel1

I love Cally but Dubi is the better hockey play now and in the future.

Cally hits a lot but honestly... He doesn't hit hard. He is the exemplary hockey player that works till he can't breath but at the end of the day Duby is the better player. Cally isn't creative with or without the puck, he doesn't have the hands to finish and imo he is worse defensively.

I would say cally is better than Dubi in.
Gritt, Checking. These don't win games though...

Never in a million years would I trade Dubi instead of Cally. The man love is getting out of hand. Cally is the PERFECT 3rd line player. Maybe he scratches the 2nd line surface. I could see him getting better and being a legit 2nd line player. Dubi is already a 2nd line player.

Garfinkel1 is online now   Reply With Quote