Notices

Jeff Schultz (ugh) on Kovy Negotiations

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2009, 07:22 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
IMO, the media has it wrong. The departure of Kovy would NOT mean the demise of the franchise. Winning in the playoffs would erase the trade of Kovy. I say package him with our first and get NHL players who can step in this year and help a playoff push.

Old
12-21-2009, 10:14 AM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
IMO, the media has it wrong. The departure of Kovy would NOT mean the demise of the franchise. Winning in the playoffs would erase the trade of Kovy. I say package him with our first and get NHL players who can step in this year and help a playoff push.
I don't see why ATL would need to throw in anything past Kovalchuk, they'd clearly be parting with the most significant asset in any trade.

I have a soft spot for this Thrashers team so it sucks to see him playing hardball like this, Kovy is a franchise player but, as the saying goes, the team lost with him and they can lose without him. With Bogosian, Kane, Pavelec/Lehtonen - there's clearly a new core to build around and if Kovy doesn't have the patience to work with that group, it's best to ship him out.

I tend to think the sooner he's dealt the more return ATL can expect but one would have to think the rest of the team would be deflated to see him go so soon. At any rate, you definitely don't want to wind up like MINN or FLA, keeping the player to compete for a playoff spot and then seeing him walk for nothing or peanuts after the first round.

What do Thrashers fans think the odds of him going to a KHL team are? I would've assumed that wasn't a significant possibility but if he really does want max $ he'll get it over there. Would that ease the pain of losing him? Knowing that, at the very least, no other NHL team has him.

Old
12-21-2009, 11:27 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I hope he's not digging a deeper hole... From Vivlamore...

Quote:
There is no new update on the Ilya Kovalchuk contract talks. I have talked to both sides in the past week. Kovalchuk’s agent was in town on Saturday and talks continue. Kovalchuk stated again on Monday morning that he would like to stay with the same team his whole career. However, he understands that hockey is a business.

It is my understanding that there is no truth to the recent trade rumors, including a trade to Vancouver. I will continue to chase the story and provide updates when relevant.
http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrashe...thrashers_blog

Old
12-21-2009, 11:28 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeShot View Post
I don't see why ATL would need to throw in anything past Kovalchuk, they'd clearly be parting with the most significant asset in any trade.
Because we need a player who can help us battle for/in the playoffs THIS YEAR. I know we're not getting a 50 goal scorer back, but as close as we can would be nice.

Old
12-21-2009, 11:37 AM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Because we need a player who can help us battle for/in the playoffs THIS YEAR. I know we're not getting a 50 goal scorer back, but as close as we can would be nice.
I'm curious about this. I've been thinking that since Ilya has scored 40-50 every year yet is consistently a minus player, a thirty-goal, plus player might be just as valuable.

Is a guy who scores 30 but is only on the ice for 20 against more valuable than a guy who scores 50 but is on the ice for 70 against? I'm considering the same TOI.

Old
12-21-2009, 11:55 AM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerd_trandle View Post
I'm curious about this. I've been thinking that since Ilya has scored 40-50 every year yet is consistently a minus player, a thirty-goal, plus player might be just as valuable.

Is a guy who scores 30 but is only on the ice for 20 against more valuable than a guy who scores 50 but is on the ice for 70 against? I'm considering the same TOI.
This reasoning is precisely why I've been digging all of the flyers fans offering Carter+. The guy scored 46 goals last year and is much better than kovalchuk defensively and they wear the same number, which could make for some interesting sweater alterations around the Bulb. If only the fans could dictate what the GM does.

Old
12-21-2009, 01:03 PM
FrenchKheldar

Quote:
No matter what, whether we'll keep Kovy or deal him, we'll get crushed in the playoffs and that is fine. The real question is do you think this group without Kovalchuk but with a couple of additions via trade (Kovalchuk and a trade involving one of our goalies) is incapable of making the playoffs? I respectfully disagree. If we play with heart, this team without Kovy can easily be a 6-7 seed this year.

Old
12-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

that is a heck of an outfit there kovy...

Old
12-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Georgia Dawg

This is one of CV post after his blog:

Quote:
Toby: All I can say is that to be knowledge those figures can’t be accurate because, according to Waddell, they haven’t talked financial terms yet. Just length of deal to this point.
How have they not discussed financials yet?

Old
12-21-2009, 03:11 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Dawg View Post
How have they not discussed financials yet?
Agreed...didn't Dub announce they were talking term months ago? If that's the case, financials will take 3 years.

Old
12-21-2009, 04:24 PM
The Sneak

Quote:
I hope he's not digging a deeper hole... From Vivlamore...

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrashe...thrashers_blog

You hope who isn't digging a deeper hole?

If you're talking about Kovalchuk what's wrong with what he said? He'd love to stay here but understands the economics involved. Perfectly in step with the script.

I hope you don't think Ilya is at fault here. With any of this. It is his right under the collective bargaining agreement to pursue free agency at the end of this contract.

He is not holding out. He is honoring his contract as written. If anything he is exceeding expectations. Coming back from a broken foot early. Acting as captain. One of the team leaders in scoring.

He has every right to request whatever he wants in a new contract.

Sorry you don't like that, but as Kovalchuk says, its a business and this is his job.

Old
12-31-2009, 04:08 PM
StevenintheATL

His latest blog has got me steamed because he's throwing the "r-word" out there (relocation).

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-bl...f_schultz_blog

Old
01-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenintheATL View Post
His latest blog has got me steamed because he's throwing the "r-word" out there (relocation).

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-bl...f_schultz_blog
Dear Santa,

Please bring me a job where I can just pull stuff out of the smelly end of my alimentary canal and put it in a paper.

Quote:
A player can ask for a no-trade clause in his contract. But he can’t ask for a clause that reads, “If the franchise relocates to Winnipeg or Quebec, the player can opt out.” Doesn’t work that way. And I would like to see the look on the face of the next owner when the Thrashers tell him, “Well, we can bring Todd White with us but not Kovalchuk.”
********. You can put anything in a contract that you want. Schultz is a window-licker. I honestly don't know how he figures out the velcro on his shoes sometimes.

Everyone knows that Bettman wants hockey to succeed in the sunbelt. If you think that either he or the NHLPA is going to disapprove of a contract that makes Kovalchuk a free agent if the team moves out of Atlanta, you aren't paying attention. That's a great poison pill for keeping the team from moving.

Old
01-02-2010, 09:58 AM
StevenintheATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
Dear Santa,

Please bring me a job where I can just pull stuff out of the smelly end of my alimentary canal and put it in a paper.

********. You can put anything in a contract that you want. Schultz is a window-licker. I honestly don't know how he figures out the velcro on his shoes sometimes.

Everyone knows that Bettman wants hockey to succeed in the sunbelt. If you think that either he or the NHLPA is going to disapprove of a contract that makes Kovalchuk a free agent if the team moves out of Atlanta, you aren't paying attention. That's a great poison pill for keeping the team from moving.

I say we should all bombard the AJC Sports Vent with anti-Schultz submissions.

Old
01-02-2010, 10:18 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenintheATL View Post
I say we should all bombard the AJC Sports Vent with anti-Schultz submissions.
no way,

the more submissions they get, the better they like Schultz. Their goal is to get readers, not make them happy....

Best is to limit their hits entirely.

Old
01-02-2010, 10:57 AM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
no way,

the more submissions they get, the better they like Schultz. Their goal is to get readers, not make them happy....

Best is to limit their hits entirely.
DING DING DING DING DING!!!! Winner winner, chicken dinner! The only way to get any from of media to do what you want is to ignore it. No hits/viewers/readers = no money = change in gameplan.

Old
01-04-2010, 09:15 AM
GetPucksDeep

I've coined a new word to describe the kovy situation....

It's just one big Klusterchuk

Old
01-04-2010, 09:28 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetNoneIn View Post
I've coined a new word to describe the kovy situation....

It's just one big Klusterchuk
Nice!

Closed Thread