HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MSG contract with DirecTV expires tonight *UPDATE 1/4/10: Contract Renewed*

Old
12-31-2009, 06:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Simple solution: Get rid of Direct TV and get IO.

I made the switch awhile ago...Direct TV is garbage.

edit - actually only flaw with Io/cablevision is Center Ice is still not in HD...so thats actually a big flaw.
can you get them to run the cabling down to Atlanta? and ill buy it ASAP.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
can you get them to run the cabling down to Atlanta? and ill buy it ASAP.
You would regret it...

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 06:11 PM
17futurecap

Please don't let this happen, first no Versus, now no MSG. As much as the Rangers make me sick I watch every game.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 06:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
If all the professional sports leagues were car companies, what would the NFL be? It would be a luxury car. Look at the price points for every NFL product (tickets, tv package) relative to the other sports and it confirms it. Low quantity, high "quality".
If you want to use the analogy:

A tire company makes tires that improve handling in all conditions while decreasing fuel consumption by half. Would that company only sell those tires to BMW? Or would they want to be able to sell to as many people as possible — people who drive everything from a Chevy to a Lexus?

Quote:
It's not written in the NFL league charter or anything but the case that the nation comes to a grinding halt every Sunday in Fall / Early Winter is pretty good evidence supporting my point.
The sport is amazingly popular. To say that "people will do anything to watch NFL football" is going too far. Eventually, they get fed up.

Quote:
No. I am pretty sure NFL owners and execs. aren't living off food stamps.
Pay my PSL for my Giants seats for me and then tell me the owners have plenty of money and don't need to make more.

Quote:
Sure it looks good to increase volume of sales, but long term if they become dependent on that income and then the other cable providers decide to play hardball on negotiating rates, it cuts into their profit margins. Again, the NFL operates on quaility (i.e. profitability) not quantity (sales) [see this article of WalMart and Vlasic for a good example of how increasing your reach can have negative effects: http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html, Vlasic is a premium brand of pickles so it is comparable].

It's a good strategy for them. DirecTV has leverage over their competitors and the NFL can charge a higher premium to DirectTV instead of having to make up the decreasing in revenue by managing packages to more providers at a lower rate.

To say its a bad business decision to do this I think is keeping things to simplistic. Like posters have mentioned the NFL does really well and doesn't need to second guess their strategy.
It's a great strategy for DIRECTV. I don't think it is for the NFL. Would the NFL take a dollar less to reach a lot more customers? I say yes. A move that a failed marketer like Bettman didn't understand when he choose to go to OLN.

12-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
You would regret it...
You work for DTV, don't you?

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 08:26 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If you want to use the analogy:

A tire company makes tires that improve handling in all conditions while decreasing fuel consumption by half. Would that company only sell those tires to BMW? Or would they want to be able to sell to as many people as possible people who drive everything from a Chevy to a Lexus?
I don't think thats a correct analogy: most technology in cars are reserved for the luxury brands. If someone made tires that reduced fuel consumption by half, you can be sure it cost a lot to research and develop them, which means the tire company would be asking a higher price from car manufacturers to make up for the high cost. Only luxury car makers could afford it, so whether or not the tire company would want to be able to sell it to the cheaper brands is irrelevant. The same scenario is in the pharmaceutical industry: there are a lot more patients who need drug X then the company sells drug X to. Again, they do well also.

The NFL is different, they own the rights to the NFL brand and properties, which is invaluable. The won't just sell it to everyone. Maybe down the line yes, but at this moment in time its a cash cow. The NFL is getting almost a billion a year from DirecTV. They are forcing DirecTV to develop technology to increase their penetration (think online) instead of taking on that responsibility themselves. Could the NFL do this if they were selling their product to several other vendors? It would be very difficult.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 02:21 PM
prone10

Sounds like its resolved

Good thing it was resolved. I switched to DirecTV in August and MSGHD was one of the main reasons. IO isn't available in my area and DirecTV was my only option. The whole VS thing has me peeved so this is good news.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...e_Contract.php

prone10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 05:15 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Simple solution: Get rid of Direct TV and get IO.

I made the switch awhile ago...Direct TV is garbage.

edit - actually only flaw with Io/cablevision is Center Ice is still not in HD...so thats actually a big flaw.
Terrible solution. I switched TO DirecTV from IO because the IO DVR is complete outdated garbage, the HD compression on IO is a pixelated joke and the selection of HD channels is embarrassing in comparison.

I did keep IO and the OptVoice because those services are excellent but if you are comparing TV services I strongly disagree.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 08:20 PM
rickyrod

Okay, now that this is fixed get Food Network back on Cablevision, dammit.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Jersey Girl

Great news that it was resolved, apparently two hours before it could have gone off the air! Now nobody will be forced to switch back to Cablevision, with their garbage DVR, garbage customer service, and garbage selection of HD hockey...amongst other things.

Old
01-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreification View Post
You work for DTV, don't you?
It's more that Cablevision is awful. If Fios or Dish Network carried the same amount of HD hockey as DirecTV, I would be sounding the trumpets for them as well over Cablevision.

Dish is better than FIOS regarding out of town games in HD, but neither Fios or Dish has MSG HD...and DirecTV does. At the moment DirecTV is the clear and obvious choice. If something better comes along, I'll let you know...

Old
01-04-2010, 11:13 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Question: If you're in a Cablevision/IO area, can you get DirectTV with MSG HD? Ie... do they not allow MSG HD on competing services if Cablevision/IO is in the area?

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Question: If you're in a Cablevision/IO area, can you get DirectTV with MSG HD? Ie... do they not allow MSG HD on competing services if Cablevision/IO is in the area?
Yes you can. The contract was just renewed on Thursday.