HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mets willing and able to Host Winter Classic

Old
01-03-2010, 05:57 PM
D713B

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
What about the army of port-o-potties they would need? The cost of security/concession stands/transportation for the public?
I'm guessing you've never been to a concert in Central Park.

That's a picture of the 120k+ fans of Dave Matthews in Central Park.

They managed all this for a Pocahontas showing, that's right, hundreds of thousands of people for Pocahontas.

Half a million people attended a Simon and Garfunkel concert in the 80s.

Quote:
I can't believe that was even an idea that someone pitched.... Why would they ever trade being able to seat 40-50K in a stadium vs. erecting temporary bleachers and having the game in the park? What would they fit, like 10K tops???
If off the top of his head Bettman can state that erecting the bleachers would be too costly, then I think it's fair to say the idea has crossed his mind before and they've at least given it a cursory once over.

Last edited by D713B: 01-03-2010 at 06:14 PM.
D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:57 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
What about the army of port-o-potties they would need? The cost of security/concession stands/transportation for the public?

I can't believe that was even an idea that someone pitched.... Why would they ever trade being able to seat 40-50K in a stadium vs. erecting temporary bleachers and having the game in the park? What would they fit, like 10K tops???
Where would the players change/shower?? What about the coaches wanting to talk to the team at intermission? Where would this happen?

edit: Not to mention but it would a ton of tourist. Not even sports/hockey fans. Pass!

This is suppose to be a hockey game not a concert. Epic Fail whoever came up with the Central Park idea.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 06:04 PM
morffin

They put up temp bleachers in Red Square ..no reason we cant do it here in the greatest city in the world.... conss. stands and the rest would be money makers I dont see vendors backing out because they have to build a temp. sales tent.

A game in Central Park would be a NYC event.. the whole city would get jacked up .. not just hockey fans.. What a TV event that would be ... the blimp shots would be out of this world.... I dont think a game a Bailout Field would have the same jam ..as Torts would say.

The obvious choice would have been Yanks Isle at the real Yankee Stadium but that train left the station.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 06:09 PM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Where would the players change/shower?? What about the coaches wanting to talk to the team at intermission? Where would this happen?

edit: Not to mention but it would a ton of tourist. Not even sports/hockey fans. Pass!

This is suppose to be a hockey game not a concert. Epic Fail whoever came up with the Central Park idea.
because a game in the middle of the great park in the middle of the city would be a spectacle ... because the logistics are easily worked out ... because 15k fans sitting close to the ice is better than 40k fans sitting dozens of yards away from the action.... because its basically a TV event meant to produce eye candy for non hockey fans...Because scheduling wont be a nightmare if they use Central Park ..and most importantly because Buttman says its a bad idea.

Old
01-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
because a game in the middle of the great park in the middle of the city would be a spectacle ... because the logistics are easily worked out ... because 15k fans sitting close to the ice is better than 40k fans sitting dozens of yards away from the action.... because its basically a TV event meant to produce eye candy for non hockey fans...Because scheduling wont be a nightmare if they use Central Park ..and most importantly because Buttman says its a bad idea.
In my opinion, the less people there in-person, the less exciting it looks on TV.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 07:08 PM
94now

I'd say tennis stadium, like Arthur Ash, would be the best.

What makes one think that game is between Rangers and Isles? This is NOT for the Ranngers. Most likely Fishes vs. Caps. That makes Bettman's wish, IMHO.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 07:12 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I'd say tennis stadium, like Arthur Ash, would be the best.

What makes one think that game is between Rangers and Isles? This is NOT for the Ranngers. Most likely Fishes vs. Caps. That makes Bettman's wish, IMHO.
Once again, you have no idea what you are talking about.

From Burnside:

Quote:
The New York Rangers, for instance, are the only U.S.-based Original Six team that has yet to play in a Winter Classic, and it is important they are involved given their heritage and importance to the league. Yankee Stadium may not be a possibility, though, with word college football will be using the facility over the holidays; so, the league must consider ways for the Rangers to host a game somewhere else or invite them to play in the contest as a visiting team.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 07:34 PM
morffin

Ashe Stadium would be good but I dont think you can fit a rink in there... avg rink is what 200 ft long? ..Ashe Stadium doenst have much spare room even for a tennis court which I think is around 80 feet long.

Crease , I somewhat agree with you regarding the crowd size on the tv... but I think the site of a hockey game in the middle of Central Park would offset that.

Old
01-03-2010, 07:49 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT4Johnny View Post
New Shea would have terrible sightlines for a hockey game IMO. Old Shea would have been great!

I can see New Shea hosting a Rangers vs Isles outdoor game, but not the winter classic. Just an Icelanders home game. That could be done yearly outside of the NBC/Winter Classic setup.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 10:54 AM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
The thing I like about the prospect of Citi field is that its 40,000+ and it has limited Center Field seats, which looked awful when I went to Fenway (read about my trip here).

I honestly felt bad for the people in the Fenway Center Field bleachers, as the sightlines from the third and first base sides were amazing. Citi field seems very open-airish, though; and very low to the ground, which isn't good for viewing hockey.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:53 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Once again, you have no idea what you are talking about.

From Burnside:
Really? As if Brooksie does or you, as matter of fact.
It is pure speculation on his part from start to the end. The only info I'd buy is:
1. Mets are ready to let NHL to use their stadium.
2. Yankee's one is out.
3. Mets asked each of NYC based clubs, if they want to be part of it. There's no indication anyone had BOTH teams in mind. Therefore my point is valid.
And besides, before posting anything like this think about when did I eat crows last time. I cannot recall, but i know you did plenty.

Old
01-04-2010, 01:01 PM
94now

Quote:
Ashe Stadium would be good but I dont think you can fit a rink in there... avg rink is what 200 ft long? ..Ashe Stadium doenst have much spare room even for a tennis court which I think is around 80 feet long.
I was thinking to build the surface way above the tennis court. It still would be better then anything else. Yet after some calculations it seems the number of seat remaining will be so small that it won't be worth it. I have to agree with you here.

Old
01-04-2010, 04:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I was thinking to build the surface way above the tennis court. It still would be better then anything else. Yet after some calculations it seems the number of seat remaining will be so small that it won't be worth it. I have to agree with you here.
Does Ashe have the desired capacit? Desired from a league and owner standpoint.

01-04-2010, 04:14 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Does Ashe have the desired capacit? Desired from a league and owner standpoint.
Not really, 22k capacity. They barely squeezed a basketball court in there once.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:20 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Not really, 22k capacity. They barely squeezed a basketball court in there once.

Yeah. Seems to me the owners and league would trade sight lines for capacity. 55k watching hockey is pretty cool.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:27 PM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

This game better be at Yankee Stadium not crappy college football.

FATCHAMALA11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:35 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post
This game better be at Yankee Stadium not crappy college football.
I hate college FB.

Old
01-04-2010, 10:45 PM
nyrmetros

lots of us dislike both college and pro American style football.

Old
01-04-2010, 10:53 PM
morffin

avg. football game has 7 minutes of action!

3 hour broadcast ...7 minutes of action ....no idea why the sport is so popular.

Old
01-04-2010, 10:59 PM
redfzn

Citi Field has the Shake Shack. NYR hockey, Winter Classic, best burgers in NYC... I'm so there.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 11:10 PM
mucker*

The Winter Classic's ratings this year went down, even with it at Fenway.

If the game is not at Yankee Stadium, it is going to miss a lot of cache, and even I as a Ranger fan will feel like this is the backup version.
Find a way to get it at Yankee Stadium, or else do it out west.
Citi Field does not have broad appeal, we want to outdo Boston, and having it there really won't do.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 11:39 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
avg. football game has 7 minutes of action!

3 hour broadcast ...7 minutes of action ....no idea why the sport is so popular.
I always thought I was alone. thank you . haha

Old
01-05-2010, 08:33 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDiv View Post
The Winter Classic's ratings this year went down, even with it at Fenway.

If the game is not at Yankee Stadium, it is going to miss a lot of cache, and even I as a Ranger fan will feel like this is the backup version.
Find a way to get it at Yankee Stadium, or else do it out west.
Citi Field does not have broad appeal, we want to outdo Boston, and having it there really won't do.
I think Bettman knows this. I do think something will be worked out that it's at YS.
CitiField is just another retro park. Now even though YS is new and doesn't have all the history the old place had. You still hear from people that it feels and obviously looks like the old stadium.

Old
01-05-2010, 10:29 AM
NYRRRR

I heard Rod Gilbert presented Jason Bay with a #44 Ranger jersey at his news conference with the Mets. Pretty cool.

NYRRRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 01:03 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post

Really it would just be a seating issue, but Central Park has been the host to a number of massive gatherings. They've hosted speed skating, curling and hockey in Central Park before, just nothing on the scale of a WC.
Standing room and not much seating versus errecting stands that are actually going to provide 45k+ a view of the rink are completely different things. It would never happen.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote