HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts says Ranger players are treated too good by organization

Old
01-04-2010, 01:37 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
The Torts comment to Gianonne regarding Tavares is pure Tortorella.That had nothing to do with NYR PR. He hates when reporters ask him about other teams/players etc.
He doesn't really have anything to say or answers regarding his own team. Why not try another one.

01-04-2010, 02:07 PM
94Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
With all due respect, I honestly think that you're really reaching to suggest that the following points have anything to do with anything right now:

----------

Furthermore,

Tortorella deserves some credit for helping us get in, but only some. The deadline deals gave us a jolt -- specifically Antropov's goals, he had 13 points in 18 games down the stretch. Plus, we have a track record of finishing strong the last couple of years, with many of the same players, which pre-dates Tortorella.

And even if you want to give him more credit than I would for getting us in the playoffs... I wonder how much blame do you give him for getting us out of the playoffs, by way of benching Avery (our best player by a mile in Game 7, remember) and getting himself suspended?

Further, having no filter is generally considered bad management, not good management.

----------

And finally,

First, criticizing Renney through hypotheticals is a little absurd.

Second, the final bolded part is grossly untrue.

The points I made were all a part of the teams losing culture. It's a BIG issue, and it always has.

For you to not see the utter garbage and B.S. that goes on with the Rangers losing culture and the way the organization that's always been there with the exception of 1994, is really sad.

The thing about Renney is not hypothetical. Have you ever taken the time to listen to this guy in the press conferences. The fricking guy was delusional, and pretty much said the same thing over and over again in them. Tom Renney is the same guy that just stood there behind the bench emotionless as the Rangers were penalized for 5 5 on 3's last year against the Blackhawks in Chicago!!! It wasn't until the 5th and final 5 on 3 that you even saw a reaction from Renney. I know damn well what he would've done, not a damn thing! Renney is not that type of personality to say something. He's more politically correct.

As far as your points about Tortorella screwing up and benching Avery last year, you're right he did. He screwed up, but at the same time I don't even know what the Rangers were even doing in that series being even in a 7th game to begin with. With the exception of Game 1, Washington outplayed us that entire series, and were the better team by far. You're talking as if the Rangers had a shot at the cup or something. Which they didn't, and didn't and still don't have the talent for it, or to compete at that level.

Tortorella deserves some of the blame for screwing up and benching Avery. But, we should'nt have even been at that point anyway.

See, I would'nt have even mentioned Tom Renney if no one had even mentioned him in the first place. Most of the Renney supporters are like leeches, or vultures. When the Rangers aren't doing good and winning games, most of them, because they can't come to terms with the fact he was fired, will be there to say "I told you so" "it's because Renney isn't the coach anymore". Move on already. When and if Tortorella is fired/let go, I certainly wont be harping on John Tortorella not being here.

94Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:12 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Obsession View Post
The points I made were all a part of the teams losing culture. It's a BIG issue, and it always has.

For you to not see the utter garbage and B.S. that goes on with the Rangers losing culture and the way the organization that's always been there with the exception of 1994, is really sad.

The thing about Renney is not hypothetical. Have you ever taken the time to listen to this guy in the press conferences. The fricking guy was delusional, and pretty much said the same thing over and over again in them. Tom Renney is the same guy that just stood there behind the bench emotionless as the Rangers were penalized for 5 5 on 3's last year against the Blackhawks in Chicago!!! It wasn't until the 5th and final 5 on 3 that you even saw a reaction from Renney. I know damn well what he would've done, not a damn thing! Renney is not that type of personality to say something. He's more politically correct.

As far as your points about Tortorella screwing up and benching Avery last year, you're right he did. He screwed up, but at the same time I don't even know what the Rangers were even doing in that series being even in a 7th game to begin with. With the exception of Game 1, Washington outplayed us that entire series, and were the better team by far. You're talking as if the Rangers had a shot at the cup or something. Which they didn't, and didn't and still don't have the talent for it, or to compete at that level.

Tortorella deserves some of the blame for screwing up and benching Avery. But, we should'nt have even been at that point anyway.

See, I would'nt have even mentioned Tom Renney if no one had even mentioned him in the first place. Most of the Renney supporters are like leeches, or vultures. When the Rangers aren't doing good and winning games, most of them, because they can't come to terms with the fact he was fired, will be there to say "I told you so" "it's because Renney isn't the coach anymore". Move on already. When and if Tortorella is fired/let go, I certainly wont be harping on John Tortorella not being here.
LOL... Now yer just being silly. Don't ruin all the good stuff you wrote previously with this junk..

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Renney, for all his faults, always talked about the game. 3 straight playoff appearances and you never once heard him spew crap about the personal lives of his players. Even when he was done in by faulty personnel and even faultier personalities last season, he still took the high road.

What you're seeing as accountability and a change in culture, Im seeing as desperate measures by a desperate man.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
I am totally with Torts on this. You have to change the culture.

I'm not one of those Ranger fans who keeps referring back to Messier, but I will here. It was one of the primary things he changed. He got everyone on the bus as a team. He reminded everyone in the locker room of the great tradition of an Original 6 team. Of the pride that should come with that.

We're all whining about the big contracts, and how we don't see a complete effort every night or even every period from this team, and now we have a coach who points out what he sees as examples of the players being spoiled and we're not onboard with this?

Of course it's the players. They are the ones who have to get it done, and they are the ones who will get the glory.

10 freakin' limos. sheesh

Drive around in a limo all you want on your own time, lord knows you've got the money. But when it's game time, be a team.

bah
Just going to quote myself here for a moment for those that joined late.

This is NOT about the LUXURY part of things, I'm sure the buses are just as nice as the limo's.

The point is to behave as a team and have a unified goal. Personnel changes, but the culture remains. So as fans what culture do we want our team to have? better yet, what kind of team to we deserve?

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:17 PM
94Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
LOL... Now yer just being silly. Don't ruin all the good stuff you wrote previously with this junk..
Ok. I wont be saying anymore. LOL.....

I didn't mean to say it like that, but that's how it comes off.

94Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Renney, for all his faults, always talked about the game. 3 straight playoff appearances and you never once heard him spew crap about the personal lives of his players. Even when he was done in by faulty personnel and even faultier personalities last season, he still took the high road.

What you're seeing as accountability and a change in culture, Im seeing as desperate measures by a desperate man.
Once again some sanity

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:

You made points about the Garden of Dreams foundation, Al Trautwig, John Giannone, Sam Rosen and Joe Micheletti.

I think if you have a problem with the culture, you should find some better examples/arguments, that's all. Those points you made have nothing to do with culture in any way that is relevant to the players and what happens on the ice.

(I want to write this in a way that doesn't come off as sarcasm. I may be failing at that. Its not my intent.)

Quote:
The thing about Renney is not hypothetical.
You talked about what Renney WOULD HAVE DONE during/after this year's game in Calgary. Say what you want about Renney's character, demeanor, what have you, but I don't think you should bother arguing what he would have done in some situation that he wasn't actually in.

Last edited by Kind of Blue: 01-04-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Kind of Blue

We weren't talking about culture when we were 7-1. Torts didn't have anything to say/do about the players' method of travel to local arenas when we won in Jersey in October.

Then we started losing a bit, and Torts couldn't steady the ship.

The players keep talking about gripping the stick too tight. That has to do with the environment and atmosphere in a team. The coach is responsible for that.

And effort has come up. Professional athletes generally play hard (especially in this sport); however, I've heard several athletes say privately that there are just some coaches that you give everything for, and others you may not always. I honestly believe that could be the case here.

Last edited by Kind of Blue: 01-04-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Totally agree. It's always something with Torts.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:36 PM
zelrio*

I wonder why during Renney's tenure Glen Sather gave horrible contracts to the likes of Drury, Gomez, Rosifail, and Redden, yet on what was tantamount to the eve of Tortorella's first full year in the NHL, he makes a genius trade with Montreal and then acquires the best player in the league.

zelrio* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:38 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelrio View Post
I wonder why during Renney's tenure Glen Sather gave horrible contracts to the likes of Drury, Gomez, Rosifail, and Redden, yet on what was tantamount to the eve of Tortorella's first full year in the NHL, he makes a genius trade with Montreal and then acquires the best player in the league.
What?????????

The sample size isn't large enough to wonder about this.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote