HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella must unleash Avery

Old
01-04-2010, 02:12 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Tortorella must unleash Avery

Quote:
On Wednesday John Tortorella said that he had no idea why the Rangers came up with their no-show against the Flyers, on Saturday Tortorella said he had no idea why the Rangers are unable to score, and though it is most certainly refreshing to hear an NHL head coach admit that he does not have all the answers, having one or two would seem to be part of the job description.

The Rangers' personnel are deficient. Because of that, it is even more critical that the coach coax the most out of his players by putting them in positions where they are most likely to succeed. That generally means assigning roles to players and constructing lines with unique attributes and job descriptions.

None of this has yet developed for the 19-17-5 Rangers, who begin the second half of their season tonight at the Garden against the Bruins as one of up to eight clubs in the Eastern Conference teetering between a low playoff seed and 29th overall.
Quote:
Avery has looked lost lately. It isn't that his hands have turned to stone around the net, or that he hasn't been able to contribute to the breakout without first going backward with the puck, or that he hasn't been able to cleanly receive passes.

It's that Avery is not fulfilling the role he was born to play, the one in which he forechecks, grinds and cycles like crazy and antagonizes like he's certifiable.

The prevailing wisdom was that Avery would become a better player if he left the extra-curricular activities behind. But that wisdom was actually ignorance in disguise. Avery needs to play with bravado, he needs to stoke emotions and he needs to skate on the edge.
Quote:
Tortorella still hasn't found a place for Avery. That place is on a line of grinders, ideally with Brandon Dubinsky and Ryan Callahan. His place is in the opposition's face. And putting him in that place -- as opposed to in his place -- is the responsibility of the coach.

Once in that place, it is all on No. 16 to fulfill his obligations, to get the puck in deep, to wear down defensemen and to agitate in front.

Once that is in place, it is on him to provide the unique element he brought to New York the first time and then again last spring -- to infuse the team with emotion, to wear the target on his back with the understanding that his coach isn't part of the posse taking aim at the bull's-eye.

If you can't be a little bit pregnant, you can't be a little bit Sean Avery, either.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0bg09IpOG

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:16 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
As much as I love Avery, and as much as I believe he's a valuable asset to this team, him being "unleashed" won't mean a damn thing. We're not a crazy Sean Avery away from being good. Not even close.

As far as Torts holding him back or misusing him, not sure I'm buying that either.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:18 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The Torts-Brooks feud is getting tired as well.

01-04-2010, 02:20 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Although I guess we still don't know for sure if it's Tortorella holding Avery back, or Avery being extra cautious these days?

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Unleash the 250 PIM Avery? Sure, this team needs to be shorthanded more often.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:22 PM
NikC

In Sean's first tenure with the team you immediately felt his pretense when in/out of the lineup. Can any of us say the same about him now?

He hasn't been the same player after Torts benched him in the playoffs last year against the Caps. Avery plays best when on the edge, but Torts has reeled him in to the point of insignificance.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:30 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
In Sean's first tenure with the team you immediately felt his pretense when in/out of the lineup. Can any of us say the same about him now?

He hasn't been the same player after Torts benched him in the playoffs last year against the Caps. Avery plays best when on the edge, but Torts has reeled him in to the point of insignificance.
lol...ok, sure

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:31 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0bg09IpOG
Avery has looked lost lately. It isn't that his hands have turned to stone around the net, or that he hasn't been able to contribute to the breakout without first going backward with the puck, or that he hasn't been able to cleanly receive passes.
It's that Avery is not fulfilling the role he was born to play, the one in which he forechecks, grinds and cycles like crazy and antagonizes like he's certifiable.

The prevailing wisdom was that Avery would become a better player if he left the extra-curricular activities behind. But that wisdom was actually ignorance in disguise. Avery needs to play with bravado, he needs to stoke emotions and he needs to skate on the edge.

if avery's hands didn't turn to stone around the net, or his passes weren't awful on the breakout, or he handles a puck like a hand grenade... this article never gets written.

Avery is just playing like the rest of the team. Crappy. In fact he and higgins are missing the most opportunities around the net than anybody else on the team. yet brooks writes an article saying that Torts is why Avery is that effective.

How about writing an article that Avery has been playing like crap, hasn't done a damn thing and it is his own damn fault, and needs to start playing better to help his team.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:52 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The Torts-Brooks feud is getting tired as well.
Torts did curse him out couple years ago...

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:55 PM
squishy

I love how Sean Avery's sub-par play is never his own fault, it's always Tortorella's, or the refs', or the league's...

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
if avery's hands didn't turn to stone around the net, or his passes weren't awful on the breakout, or he handles a puck like a hand grenade... this article never gets written.

Avery is just playing like the rest of the team. Crappy. In fact he and higgins are missing the most opportunities around the net than anybody else on the team. yet brooks writes an article saying that Torts is why Avery is that effective.

How about writing an article that Avery has been playing like crap, hasn't done a damn thing and it is his own damn fault, and needs to start playing better to help his team.
I think Avery has been bringing more to the game each night than most of our other forwards, but his inability to finish is becoming a problem. He's never been a natural scorer, but he's a guy you should be able to count on to pot 15-20 goals over 82 games. Right now he's not even close. So I disagree that he hasn't done a damn thing, but agree that he needs to step it the hell up.

Not really buying the "Torts neutered him" argument, either. Tortorella doesn't want him taking copious amounts of stupid penalties, which is certainly reasonable. If Avery can't hone it in *thismuch* and still be effective, then that's a problem.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:57 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBlackRanger View Post
lol...ok, sure
Maybe you just started following this team this season? Look at the team's record with him in the lineup in the past if you need further convincing.

Old
01-04-2010, 03:00 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think Avery has been bringing more to the game each night than most of our other forwards, but his inability to finish is becoming a problem. He's never been a natural scorer, but he's a guy you should be able to count on to pot 15-20 goals over 82 games. Right now he's not even close. So I disagree that he hasn't done a damn thing, but agree that he needs to step it the hell up.

Not really buying the "Torts neutered him" argument, either. Tortorella doesn't want him taking copious amounts of stupid penalties, which is certainly reasonable. If Avery can't hone it in *thismuch* and still be effective, then that's a problem.
Sure the NYR don't need Avery being an absolute lunatic in a playoff game, but the "old Avery" was a catalyst for this team's success in previous seasons. I do recall him almost single handidly helping us make the playoffs in 07', even with Jagr,Nylander, and Shanny on board. He is a shell of that player now.

Old
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Is Larry Brooks going to come up with an anti- Torts article every week, or?

It is becoming a little ridiculous that Larry Brooks can't find another excuse for why the Rangers suck other than "Tortorella this, Tortorella that". A bit unprofessional.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

He is definately bringing grit and tenacity in each game. But his offensive abilities have been woeful this year. He turns over the puck a ton, and he has missed as many wide open chances as Higgy in front of the net.

Like I said, if he buries half these chances, this article doesn't get written. Brooks just needs a scapegoat as to why is golden boy isn't doing much offensively these days.

edit: you are completely right in your second paragraph.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Is Larry Brooks going to come up with an anti- Torts article every week, or?

It is becoming a little ridiculous that Larry Brooks can't find another excuse for why the Rangers suck other than "Tortorella this, Tortorella that". A bit unprofessional.
I think he tends to write things depending on the state of the team. When they're doing poorly, then yeah he goes on and on about whatever he can think up. Coaches, players, management, it's easy to write articles that are critical of the team when they're playing poorly.

When they do well I seem to remember he writes glowing articles about who's playing well, etc.

He just writes what's easy.

edit: I think putting labeling Dubinsky a grinder and putting him with Avery and Callahan kind of lessens his usefulness. Dubinsky can be more useful to this team if he's put with more skilled players and he can allow them more time and space. Put him with grinders and you have a line that works hard but doesn't score, which doesn't do this team any damn good at all right now

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:32 PM
RegalRangers

I don't think Brooks is out to get Torts. I think Brooks is doing his job. The team sucks right now. So many of the components of this team are broken right now that it's impossible not to place a significant amount of blame on Torts. With all the players on this team, we somehow can't find a single line that doesn't have Gaborik on it to regularly contribute?

It's been great watching Team USA in the WJC because for once I don't spend all my time second guessing the coach. Blais is getting results all over that lineup and the team was formed with a plan that they're sticking to. We're not getting results. We've done a 180 from "safe is death" and if it weren't for Gaborik and Lundqvist we'd be spending most of our time seriously debating who to pick first this summer.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
I don't think Brooks is out to get Torts. I think Brooks is doing his job. The team sucks right now. So many of the components of this team are broken right now that it's impossible not to place a significant amount of blame on Torts. With all the players on this team, we somehow can't find a single line that doesn't have Gaborik on it to regularly contribute?
Good point.... All the other beat writers are either clueless (Carpinello) or too afraid to call the team/coach/GM out.

I like that Brooks is harping on the team as much as he has been lately.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:05 PM
haveandare

Brooks talks as if Torts is some kind of idiot. This guy is a good coach. Whether you personally agree with his tactics or not he's had a lot of success. He knows that Avery is useful for getting under other teams' skin, I'm sure. He doesn't need him taking a million penalties a night and thats totally understandable. I love Avery, but his crappy play is nobody's fault but his own right now. IF he doesn't like the way torts is encouraging him to play, they are both grown, professional men who should be able to work it out. Brooks is a professional complainer who doesn't offer any useful advice. Put Avery with grinders? Great idea. We don't need scoring depth or anything. There's a reason this guy writes for a garbage newspaper and torts is an NHL coach.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:24 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Not really sure the purpose of Brooks' argument here, other than to fill a column.

What he really wants is something to write about and hes upset that Tortorella has neutered Averys antics. Avery is in a different place right now because of last years actions and resulting suspension. Tortorella wants him to be on edge but without all of the ********, and i think hes done a great job of that.

Could Avery be a little more pesty? A little more antagonizing? Sure... But how soon everyone forgets the end of last season when they were calling penalties on Avery for stepping onto the ice and getting punched in the face. The Rangers don't need to take any more penalties when they are scoring 1 or 2 a night. If Brooks had a hockey brain he would realize that. There is still some restoration of a normalcy here for Avery's reputation, and while it will never be that of a normal NHL player, I believe they both should be commended for his behavior thus far. If the Rangers somehow make the playoffs, they need Avery to be unleashed THEN, not halfway through the season for a monday night game in January.

Right now, what Avery needs to do is put the puck in the net. That whats this team needs the most right now. Everything else will fall into place after that. And i dont necessarily think hes been playing that badly. I think over the last month or so, hes put together a pretty consistent effort out there, sans a few night were he just hasnt shown up. But that can be said for almost every player on the team.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-04-2010 at 04:30 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:33 PM
HockeyBurd*

I can only dream of a Rangers team with the depth that allows for a third line of Avery-Dubinsky-Callahan. It would be nice for good third liners to actually be afforded to play on the third line with other good third liners.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I find it amazing that I can disagree with every aspect of every article brooks writes.

"unleashing" a player who was so undisciplined that he led the league in penalty minutes, even when he is too big of a ***** to fight anyone his size or larger, is taking a lot of minor penalties and hurting the team.

This guy took something like 60 minors one year, thats like 10 goals against directly if the team has an 86% pk. He is a negative influence, and has a negative impact on the team.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:54 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
I can only dream of a Rangers team with the depth that allows for a third line of Avery-Dubinsky-Callahan. It would be nice for good third liners to actually be afforded to play on the third line with other good third liners.
It would be nice, wouldn't it?

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Garv23

At this point I'd just be happy if Avery stayed onside.

Garv23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:19 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

hey as long as the refs got the memo re. no longer having 2 sets of rules, unleash away. at the very least, taking avery off his meds will be entertaining.

if sean is "unleashed" i expect him to spend lots if time in the box and then in torts' dog house.

note to larry brooks. sean avery really isnt the problem here.

ho hum....the 09/10 new york rangers.

whens pitchers and catchers again ?

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote