HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richter or Henrik Lundqvist

View Poll Results: Who ya got?
Mike Richter 83 30.97%
Henrik Lundqvist 185 69.03%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-04-2010, 02:11 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Good points, and I agree. That said, I have a gut feeling that when all is said and done, Henrik Lundqvist will have the more impressive career.

It's tough though, since I'm not sure if I'm voting based on who is more talented, who I would want in a big game, or who will have the better career. For those respective categories, I'd go: Lundqvist, Richter, Lunqvist (eventually).

Nice to hear from outsiders, though. Thanks.
Well another thing to point out is that another blinder for the Richter fan boys is that Richter won a Cup (and I mean literally WON THE CUP, he wasn't just on the team) while Lundqvist hasn't. I don't think Lundqvist has fully played to his potential though, so we're also basing this thread/poll on proven skill vs. potential skill. I'll personally disagree with you, I think even when it's said and through, Richter will still be considered the better goalie.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:13 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
Richter was not ever a Butterfly style goaltender. Has nothing to do with his size.

Richter was always a positional standup goalie, with excepetional athleticism, vision, anticipation and reactionary instincts.
I never said he was. But considering Standup Goalies generally suck unless their absolutely huge, the fact that he didn't give many holes just states even more why he's the better goaltender of the two.

Richter by far had some of the best positioning a goalie can have. He always did a great job cutting down angles and getting big in the net.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:14 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Well another thing to point out is that another blinder for the Richter fan boys is that Richter won a Cup (and I mean literally WON THE CUP, he wasn't just on the team) while Lundqvist hasn't. I don't think Lundqvist has fully played to his potential though, so we're also basing this thread/poll on proven skill vs. potential skill. I'll personally disagree with you, I think even when it's said and through, Richter will still be considered the better goalie.
As a Rangers fan, I'm banking on no less than 3 Cups from Henrik before he's done.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
As a Rangers fan, I'm banking on no less than 3 Cups from Henrik before he's done.

"Banking " on it?

Prepare for bankrutpcy

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:04 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
Are you seriously comparing Hank to Hasek? Hasek won multiple Vezina trophies and was the most dominant goalie in hockey for a long time.
You didn't understand my point at all.

For the record, Hasek was hands-down the best goaltender I have ever seen.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

I don't believe there's any aspect of goaltending, that, Lundqvist is more talented in.

None whatsoever.

Richter was by far much more naturally gifted in every aspect. Including natural athleticism, hockey instincts and natural reactionary instincts.

The Rangers had Beezer and Bob Froese on the roster, when Richter got his first 23 NHL games.

The Rangers had.....Steve Valiquette when Lundqvist came here.

Old
01-04-2010, 03:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
The Rangers had.....Steve Valiquette when Lundqvist came here.
Try again.

01-04-2010, 03:07 PM
chosen

Quote:
This is a no-brainer.

Mike Richter.

Lundqvist hasn't earned the right to be mentioned in the same breath as Richter.

Wins my ass. Ulitmately he (Lundqvist ) doesn't get it done in the big spots and this season is exposing him as a goaltender who benefited greatly from Renney's system. And he's never been more than 5 to 8 games above .500, in his four and a half year career.

Take away that protective system (and quality third and fourth liners like Blair Betts, Jed Ortmeyer, Sjostrom...etc) and you have a goaltender who's getting exposed and crappin' the bed in big spots. And let's face it, he's been crappin' the bed in bog spots in his four previous seasons. "

Rangers All-Time Record Stats are complete and utter nonsense. The Rangers organization, for all their years of existence; have a fairly paltry and pathetic history. The only thing that matters is how a goaltender performs in Big Games and in Big Spots. Lundqvist has been routinely outplayed and out-classed in that area, every Playoff Season.
Great points!

Lundqvist had the benefit of Betts, Ortmeyer and Sjostrom. All Richter had were those stiffs Leetch, Messier, Graves and so forth.

Old
01-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
He's been in only one. That's hardly a statistical trend.
And that's why it's too early to hold this contest. Hence, why I said in my original post, until Lundqvist wins a Stanley Cup, I'm picking Richter. Winning the Olympics in 2006 was an amazing feat, but it's no comparison to a surviving a Stanley Cup marathon and winning it all. Plus, if you want to start comparing international play, Richter was the big reason why the United States won the World Cup in 2006; to me that is compariable to winning the Olympics (even harder perhaps, there were less teams involved and it was best 2 out of 3 in the finals--almost any decent team can get lucky in one game).

Lundqvist will probably be the best goaltender in Rangers history. But not yet.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post

For the record, Hasek was hands-down the best goaltender I have ever seen.
And the funny thing is, Hasek had no real traditionally defined style of goaltending.

He was all about complete and absolute hockey instinct, vision, anticipation and incredible athletic abilities. He flopped, he dove, he stood up, he flipped, he stretched, he gloved, he kicked, he slid ......he did whatever it took to stop the puck.

Unlike Lundqvist, who if the shot/puck doesn't comply and cooperate with his "style and position" ...pretty much gives up on the hardest of shots and plays.

Old
01-04-2010, 03:15 PM
chosen

Quote:
Anyone who thinks this guy (Lundqvist) plays a consistently sound goal, has no clue about goaltending.
If the vast majority is wrong, perhaps they're not.

Old
01-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Try again.
I don't have to try.

Even an one-eyed, drunken hockey scout sees the huge differences between Richter and Lundqvist; in Richter's overwhelming favor.

Maybe you guys need a drink and a sharp pencil

Old
01-04-2010, 03:16 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I don't have to try.
You should if you're saying that the Rangers had Valiquette when Hank got here.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Tiki Talk
Oh Baby

I love Hank, but its Richter all the way for me. When he was on the guy was just phenomenal.

I have yet to see any goalie in any competition rival Richter's performance in the 1996 World Cup. He was just amazing.

Tiki Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:21 PM
chosen

Quote:
I don't believe there's any aspect of goaltending, that, Lundqvist is more talented in.
Forgetting everything else you have posted on this subject, let's see how you handle this one:

Lundqvist is not a great puckhandler but Richter is one of the worst I have ever seen. Because of this, there were tons of frozen pucks in the Rangers end leading to faceoffs. True or not?

Old
01-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You should if you're saying that the Rangers had Valiquette when Hank got here.

Oh okay, brainfart. They had Mister Weekes. Mister Weakes. Yeah, that's so different

Old
01-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Forgetting everything else you have posted on this subject, let's see how you handle this one:

Lundqvist is not a great puckhandler but Richter is one of the worst I have ever seen. Because of this, there were tons of frozen pucks in the Rangers end leading to faceoffs. True or not?
In the beginning. Richter worked on that and improved.

Lundqvist is even worse now than Richter ever was.

Old
01-04-2010, 03:26 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
And the funny thing is, Hasek had no real traditionally defined style of goaltending.

He was all about complete and absolute hockey instinct, vision, anticipation and incredible athletic abilities. He flopped, he dove, he stood up, he flipped, he stretched, he gloved, he kicked, he slid ......he did whatever it took to stop the puck.

Unlike Lundqvist, who if the shot/puck doesn't comply and cooperate with his "style and position" ...pretty much gives up on the hardest of shots and plays.
You claim to be an expert and think that Lundqvist only tries when the shot "complies" with his style? Good god

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
This is unequivocally one of the dumbest things I've ever read here. You claim to be an expert and think that Lundqvist only tries when the shot "complies" with his style? Good god, you must fall down a lot.
Certainly more accurate than his nickname "The King".

And much more accurate than the gross exaggerations of many of the Lundqvist Fanny Club.

Old
01-04-2010, 03:35 PM
rmd3003

It's not good comparison. One is long done playing. Another is just getting into his prime. You must wait until Lundquist is 35.
Yes, Richter won cup but he also had great players in front of him.........

rmd3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:39 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
Until Lundqvist wins a cup, I think this goes to Richter. However, if Henrik ever gets a cup, I think you have to go with him. I was never overly impressed with Richter, but I was young when he was playing and was mainly just a Blues fan as opposed to a hockey fan.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:05 PM
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues

Quote:
At the risk of driving Richter's legions mad, I submit that Richter was the 2nd best goalie in the Finals when they won the Cup.
I agree with you and I voted for Richter though I'm hoping Lundqvist proves me wrong.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Chimp

This thread is ridiculous. On so many levels.

1. Why do you even try to compare two goalies from two different eras, who never played together and certainly didn't play in front of similar teams together? How can you try to compare incomparable things? They played goalies? Yes! And there ends the similarities.

2. Does the answer even make sense?

3. Some of the arguments in these threads for either goalie, are ridiculous. And you should know it. "Won the Cup with his team?" Jesus... When will that stop being assumed as a logical, valid argument? Hint: Try dividing the imaginary points you give your goalie for winning the cup, with the number of players who helped carry the team. This will give a less crappy - but still crappy - answer. No goalie has ever won the Cup with a at least mediocre team in front of him.

The question of this thread, is a wolf in disguise. The real question is: Which goalie do you like the most? Because there can really be no valid arguments for who was better, so you have to make the arguments up, assuming the position as agitator for the goalie you liked most. You certainly won't make up pro-arguments for the goalie you liked the least, did you? Or even count them in the back of your head, for there is none to count!

Or wait? Am I being too harsh here? Since this is a very common phenomena, for some sports-nerdic reason? Like for the trekkies, which Star Trek boy-magnet was the prettiest? Or wait, this is the point of forums, is it? Damn, I just got depressed.

edit: Stupid Eeyore, get on your own row!
edit2: I vote on Lundqvist, because I think he speaks better Swedish than Richter and is well dressed.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-04-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:42 PM
bubba5

Come on, why is this a thought, Richter won a cup, won many series by himself (1997 series against Devils), Hank has won 2 playoff series, can the guy get into a conference final first. Can we stop talking about Hanks win totals too. These days there is always a winner, Richter has ties, you could not win by the cheap shootout rules. Plus his first few years he split time with the Beezer so he did not play 70 + games a year.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 06:02 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Richter was was an nhl all star before he was given the job full time and played at the same time as roy, brodeur, belfour, cujo and hasek -- all hall of famers.

Until Henrik gets out of the 2nd round he doesnt stack up.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote