HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Carle Olympic Snub

Old
01-04-2010, 03:12 PM
agrudez*

vCash: 500
Matt Carle Olympic Snub

..........................GP.......G.......A...... .+/-
Brian Rafalski.......37........2......15.......9
Ryan Suter...........42........2......18.......7
Paul Martin...........9.........0.......2........1
Mike Komisarek....34........0.......4.......-9
Erik Johnson.........40........4......18.......0
Brooks Orpik........39........0.......14.......0
Jack Johnson........41.......4.......12.....-11

Matt Carle...........41........2.......17......12

Now I know alot more goes into a defenseman than point totals, but those +/- stats for Johnson and Komisarek have to be blindingly bright to anyone honestly thinking of putting them on one of the top 5 Olympic rosters.

The Olympic game, if I am not mistaken, is played with European rules, meaning that the game is more up tempo, so clearly it was the smart decision by Burke to pass up mobile, puck moving dmen like Carle and Goligoski in favor OF defenseman like Johnson, Komisarek and Orpik who are too slow for the NHL as it is... and don't get me started on adding a player who has been injured nearly all season and won't even get back to the league until just a few weeks before the Olympics start.

Decisions like this are what makes me glad that Burke is Toronto's GM because he is stuck in the old NHL and it will ensure the Leafs suck for years to come.

I think I was more pissed about Carle's olympic snub than the 6 on 4 that the Bruins scored on. The whole damn day was brutal.

PS. **** RON WILSON

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:17 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post

Now I know alot more goes into a defenseman than point totals, but those +/- stats for Johnson and Komisarek have to be blindingly bright to anyone honestly thinking of putting them on one of the top 5 Olympic rosters.

The Olympic game, if I am not mistaken, is played with European rules, meaning that the game is more up tempo, so clearly it was the smart decision by Burke to pass up mobile, puck moving dmen like Carle and Goligoski in favor for defenseman like Johnson, Komisarek and Orpik who are too slow for the NHL as it is... and don't get me started on adding a player who has been injured nearly all season and won't even get back to the league until just a few weeks before the Olympics start.

Decisions like this are what makes me glad that Burke is Toronto's GM because he is stuck in the old NHL and it will ensure the Leafs suck for years to come.

I think I was more pissed about Carle's olympic snub than the 6 on 4 that the Bruins scored on. The whole damn day was brutal.

PS. **** RON WILSON
Mike Komisarek is such a huge fraud. All-star starter and now on the Olympic team? GTFO of here.

I'm not even mad about Carle not making it, it's just a joke of who they picked. Kessel is a stud, I get that Burke, but Komi is 1 dimensional.

I really do not want to get into how much the all-star voting is a joke. Canadien fans actually defended voting in Komi, so I lost even more respect for them then I had, which was next to none anyway.

Kinda funny most of the Canadiens All-stars are now playing elsewhere, haha.

bye bye Komisarek -> Toronto, Koivu -> Anaheim, Tanguay -> Tampa, Kovalev -> Ottawa

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:20 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Mike Komisarek is such a huge fraud. All-star starter and now on the Olympic team? GTFO of here.

I'm not even mad about Carle not making it, it's just a joke of who they picked. Kessel is a stud, I get that Burke, but Komi is 1 dimensional.

I really do not want to get into how much the all-star voting is a joke. Canadien fans actually defended voting in Komi, so I lost even more respect for them then I had, which was next to none anyway.

Kinda funny most of the Canadiens All-stars are now playing elsewhere, haha.
I was looking for a reason to pull for the olympic squad and watch it this year, and outside of Bobby Ryan and Phil Kessel i honestly think this team is a joke. Komisarek? Whats the hard on for about this tool? C'mon Matt Carle at least does something, and if team usa used the same rhetoric on why Carter was left off (basically using this years play) it blows my mind even more Carle was left off, i thought he has been absolutly fantastic this year playing with pronger. Carle IMO would be valuable to the olympic team. But whatever, I cant wait to get my team USA Bobby Ryan jersey

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:22 PM
2Claude2Giroux

There's probably a decent chance Carle can go since Paul Martin might still be hurt.

And I honestly thought it was kind of cool that the Canadiens fans tried to vote in all their starters. I know if this was in Philadelphia, I'd do the same for the Flyers.

2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:23 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
I was looking for a reason to pull for the olympic squad and watch it this year, and outside of Bobby Ryan and Phil Kessel i honestly think this team is a joke. Komisarek? Whats the hard on for about this tool? C'mon Matt Carle at least does something, and if team usa used the same rhetoric on why Carter was left off (basically using this years play) it blows my mind even more Carle was left off, i thought he has been absolutly fantastic this year playing with pronger. Carle IMO would be valuable to the olympic team. But whatever, I cant wait to get my team USA Bobby Ryan jersey

I wanted a Carle USA jersey

Old
01-04-2010, 03:25 PM
dookie88

Quote:

There also goes a lot more than the +/- into a defensemen, it's a missleading stat more often than not.

Quote:
The Olympic game, if I am not mistaken, is played with European rules, meaning that the game is more up tempo, so clearly it was the smart decision by Burke to pass up mobile, puck moving dmen like Carle and Goligoski in favor OF defenseman like Johnson, Komisarek and Orpik who are too slow for the NHL as it is
It will be played on NHL-rink size.
And you need some grit in your line-up, if anything that's what Burke knows.
And Johnson, Komisarek and Orpik aren't to slow for the NHL.
They are all playing top 4 roles on their respective nhl teams.
They might not be fast, but they aren't too slow.
That being said, Carle himself isn't exactly a speedster either.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:33 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Claude2Giroux View Post
There's probably a decent chance Carle can go since Paul Martin might still be hurt.

And I honestly thought it was kind of cool that the Canadiens fans tried to vote in all their starters. I know if this was in Philadelphia, I'd do the same for the Flyers.
It's supposed to be an all-stars game, and Komi showed up? They should rename it to the all-popular team. That would be more interesting. They should name the entire team and just vote on the starters then. That would be fair. No wastes of roster spots playing ahead of actual talent.

Quote:
Carter is Canadian.

The Centers are kinda weak, but Kane, Kessel, Brown, Ryan, Parise, Miller, and Thomas are all really good.

Old
01-04-2010, 03:35 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
It's supposed to be an all-stars game, and Komi showed up? They should rename it to the all-popular team. That would be more interesting. They should name the entire team and just vote on the starters then. That would be fair. No wastes of roster spots playing ahead of actual talent.

Carter is Canadian.

The Centers are kinda weak, but Kane, Kessel, Brown, Ryan, Parise, Miller, and Thomas are all really good.
I shoulda said the same rhetoric team canada used to keep carter off....

I still dont think team usa has a chance in hell

Old
01-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Terence Peterman

I don't know why this is surprising everyone. These were the top 7 just about everyone was predicting.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:38 PM
flountown

Mike Komisarek is a joke though (In this sense). I still don't understand why people think he is a top tier player.

I think Carle deserved a shot on the team, especially with his play this year...and as for my jersey selection...

I am going Erik Johnson

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:43 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
There also goes a lot more than the +/- into a defensemen, it's a missleading stat more often than not.
How about this for a damning defensive stat?

............................GvA......TkA.....Ratio (Giveaway to Takeaway)
Mike Komisarek.......36.........7........5.143
Brian Rafalski..........37.........8........4.625
Brooks Orpik...........14.........6........2.333
Erik Johnson............28........25.......1.12
Jack Johnson...........11.........5.........2.2
Ryan Suter..............19........19.........1

Matt Carle...............31........20.......1.55

Carle would have the 3rd best Giveaway to Takeaway ratio on the team, the best +/- and the 3rd most points.

How can we not call this a snub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
It will be played on NHL-rink size.
And you need some grit in your line-up, if anything that's what Burke knows.
And Johnson, Komisarek and Orpik aren't to slow for the NHL.
They are all playing top 4 roles on their respective nhl teams.
They might not be fast, but they aren't too slow.
That being said, Carle himself isn't exactly a speedster either.
Thanks for the clarification on the rink size, I don't know why I thought it was European rules. I also agree you need some grit on your team, but not at the expense of good defense or puck moving defensemen. Other than Rafalski and Suter there is noone that can handle a breakout.

Old
01-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Obviously Canada is the clear favorite but the US team could surprise people, especially if Miller stays hot. I mean, these are teams made up of bonafide NHL players. On any given day anything could happen.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:45 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Mike Komisarek is a joke though (In this sense). I still don't understand why people think he is a top tier player.

I think Carle deserved a shot on the team, especially with his play this year...and as for my jersey selection...

I am going Erik Johnson
My favorite player on Team USA currently = Dustin Brown

Parise is a close second. My homeboy Timmy Thomas is 3rd.

Last edited by IrishSniper87: 01-04-2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: fixed
Old
01-04-2010, 03:52 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
My favorite player on Team Canada currently = Dustin Brown

Parise is a close second. My homeboy Timmy Thomas is 3rd.
Canada?

Old
01-04-2010, 03:55 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Canada?

fixed

Old
01-04-2010, 03:57 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:

fixed
My fav player has to be the kid from right up the street in cherry hill nj, bobby ryan, i hope he does well

Old
01-04-2010, 04:16 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
I was looking for a reason to pull for the olympic squad and watch it this year, and outside of Bobby Ryan and Phil Kessel i honestly think this team is a joke. Komisarek? Whats the hard on for about this tool? C'mon Matt Carle at least does something, and if team usa used the same rhetoric on why Carter was left off (basically using this years play) it blows my mind even more Carle was left off, i thought he has been absolutly fantastic this year playing with pronger. Carle IMO would be valuable to the olympic team.
When I looked at the stats of the guys that made it ahead of Carle I was shocked. The problem with Burke is, he's extremely stubborn and seems to do everything his way and is inflexible. Canada left Carter off with good reason, because his play fell off this year but Carle has become a very good dman over the past 3 months. Komisarek has no reason to be on there and only made it because he's a Laff and because Burke signed him.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:20 PM
dookie88

Quote:
How about this for a damning defensive stat?

............................GvA......TkA.....Ratio (Giveaway to Takeaway)
Mike Komisarek.......36.........7........5.143
Brian Rafalski..........37.........8........4.625
Brooks Orpik...........14.........6........2.333
Erik Johnson............28........25.......1.12
Jack Johnson...........11.........5.........2.2
Ryan Suter..............19........19.........1

Matt Carle...............31........20.......1.55

Carle would have the 3rd best Giveaway to Takeaway ratio on the team, the best +/- and the 3rd most points.

How can we not call this a snub?
I'm sorry, but no.
Give aways are counted like hits, in every arena guys sit around and count, everyone of them with a different view for the game. It really isn't a trustworthy stat, just because of the varying understandings what is a hit/giveaway/takeaway and what is not.
Also giveaways and takeaways are heavily effected by icetime.

For example:
Danny Briere has 11 GvA and 18TkA
Mike Richards has 31GvA and 17TkA

I don't have to tell you who's better defensively.

Quote:
Other than Rafalski and Suter there is noone that can handle a breakout.
I think that Paul Martin (if he will play) and Erik Johnson are competent enough with the puck, too.

Old
01-04-2010, 04:22 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Komisarek has no reason to be on there and only made it because he's a Laff and because Burke signed him.
And because Komisarek has played pretty good in the last few years, despite being in a slump on a sucking team recently.
Burke stated, that they evaluated the players over a longer period of time.

Old
01-04-2010, 04:23 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
When I looked at the stats of the guys that made it ahead of Carle I was shocked. The problem with Burke is, he's extremely stubborn and seems to do everything his way and is inflexible. Canada left Carter off with good reason, because his play fell off this year but Carle has become a very good dman over the past 3 months. Komisarek has no reason to be on there and only made it because he's a Laff and because Burke signed him.
Carter being left off team canada, as well as gagne is justified, but you're theory on why Komi is there just makes too much sence, thats probally what happened, and its a shame, but what can we do. Ill support my country and wish em well.

Old
01-04-2010, 04:41 PM
mgd525

If you put Carle in a foot race with Orpik i think you might be suprised. He's a very good skater. I have no idea why people try to lump Orpik in as a Pilon just because he's big physical D man. He's a better D man then Carle in general. The reason Carle looks so good this year is because Pronger is his partner.

mgd525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:45 PM
flountown

Quote:
My fav player has to be the kid from right up the street in cherry hill nj, bobby ryan, i hope he does well
See I played with him as a squirt for the Little Flyers so it would kind of depress me to have a jersey of a guy I played with and was on par with ability wise (AT THE TIME, not saying now) who went on to be the number 2 pick behind Sydney Crosby...it makes me sad to think of what could have been and what he did so differently...

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:46 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd525 View Post
If you put Carle in a foot race with Orpik i think you might be suprised. He's a very good skater. I have no idea why people try to lump Orpik in as a Pilon just because he's big physical D man. He's a better D man then Carle in general. The reason Carle looks so good this year is because Pronger is his partner.
Carle would look good with anyone other than Coburn as his partner, thats one reason he had such a hard time last year, Orpik wouldnt be a bad partenr with Carle, IMO.

Old
01-04-2010, 04:55 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Carter being left off team canada, as well as gagne is justified, but you're theory on why Komi is there just makes too much sence, thats probally what happened, and its a shame, but what can we do. Ill support my country and wish em well.
At least you don't have to cheer for Crosby like I do!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:56 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I wouldn't call Carle a snub, Komisarek is just garbage, but it could have been some other players too not just Carle. JM Liles is a good player as well that could have been taken.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote