HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal interested in Kovalchuk?

Old
01-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
According to Bob McKenzie, Atlanta wants the following for Kovalchuk!

2 high draft picks, 2 NHL ready prospects, and a promising young roster player.

So, in my opinion Boston is in the perfect position to make the move for Kovalchuk, I know that we don't want to hear this, but Boston can contend this season with him.

To Atlanta:

1st round draft pick in 2010 (from Toronto)
1st round draft pick in 2010 (Boston's)
Joe Colborne
Brad Marchand
Jeff LoVecchio

To Boston:

Ilya Kovalchuk
2nd round draft pick in 2010
That's great but very little teams will be afford to bring in Kovalchuk if they don't take an expensive roster player back.
He's a 6.4M cap hit so you'll need to create room.

Quote:
So, since Boston wants this!

To Atlanta:

1st round draft pick in 2010
1st round draft pick in 2011
Andrei Kostitisyn
Sergei Kostitsyn
Matt D'Agostini

To Montreal:

Ilya Kovalchuk
Doesn't work cap wise anyways.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
Okay first of all it's not impossible to go arround the cap it doesn't take a genius to make a few moves to have enough money

couple trades,waivers and it's done.

Has for kovy wanted 9mil/10mil that's to stay with Atlanta kovalchuck ain't dumb he knows if the thrashers lose him their team is done so why not ask all the money to stay there,if he wants to join a team that will be making a run for the cup he knows he won't get all that.

If this summer he's still not signed and he's after the money then guaranteed he will be a leaf for the next couple seasons but does he really wanna be on a losing team going nowhere again ? That I'm not sure but u never know with these Russians
Well unless you find a way to trade Hamrlik, its not going to happen. Otherwise, wave goodbye to Cammalleri or Plekanec. Trading Gomez would not make sense as we still need 2 offensive centers. Remember we have to resign Markov soon.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:08 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I want to get back to the asking price for Kovy would be. I can't see how it would be that high. ATL is NOT in a position to bargain, either they take what's offered or they lose him for what a 2nd or 3rd round pick when he signs as a UFA on July 1st. (I can't remember what, and if they still get picks when you lose a player to UFA)

The only thing that can raise the value of Kovy would be the other 29 other teams trying to acquire him. Now of the 29 other teams, 5-10 teams would be really pursuing him? Of those 10, how many have what ATL is looking for, 2-3?

I just don't figure Kovy getting THAT MUCH in return(I think I read on the Bruins board, that McKenzie said something along the lines of 2 prospect, 2 high draft pick, plus a player of impact today), the closer we get to the deadline, the less ATL will have to bargain with.

Not saying we have a chance, but if by some miracle we can acquire him then this is my take:

Kovaluchuk is still very young, only way to sign him to some ridiculous contract would be to sign him for the next 13 years like Hossa.

IF he wants 10, and that isn't just to get the **** out of ATL

10 for the first 4 till 31
9 - 32 years old
8 - 33
7 - 34
5 - 35
4 - 36
1 - 37
1 - 38
1 - 39

total of 76 million over 12 years is about a 6.33 average cap hit

This way in the final 3 years of his contract, he can be bought out fairly cheap and we can sign him to something like 2 year 6 mill if that ever has a chance of happening, so that his cap hit drop to 3+the buyout, which is less then the 6.33

but in the first years when making 10, 6.33 will sure look good.

pretty nuts to pay a 40 year old 6.9. but who knows in 10 years what the bottom players of the league will be making, 3 mill average?

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:17 PM
WestIslander

Quote:
I want to get back to the asking price for Kovy would be. I can't see how it would be that high. ATL is NOT in a position to bargain, either they take what's offered or they lose him for what a 2nd or 3rd round pick when he signs as a UFA on July 1st. (I can't remember what, and if they still get picks when you lose a player to UFA)

The only thing that can raise the value of Kovy would be the other 29 other teams trying to acquire him. Now of the 29 other teams, 5-10 teams would be really pursuing him? Of those 10, how many have what ATL is looking for, 2-3?

I just don't figure Kovy getting THAT MUCH in return(I think I read on the Bruins board, that McKenzie said something along the lines of 2 prospect, 2 high draft pick, plus a player of impact today), the closer we get to the deadline, the less ATL will have to bargain with.

Not saying we have a chance, but if by some miracle we can acquire him then this is my take:

Kovaluchuk is still very young, only way to sign him to some ridiculous contract would be to sign him for the next 13 years like Hossa.

9 - 32 years old
8 - 33
7 - 34
5 - 35
4 - 36
1 - 37
1 - 38
1 - 39

This way in the final 3 years of his contract, he can be bought out fairly cheap and we can sign him to something like 2 year 6 mill if that ever has a chance of happening, so that his cap hit drop to 3+the buyout, which is less then the 6.33

pretty nuts to pay a 40 year old 6.9. but who knows in 10 years what the bottom players of the league will be making, 3 mill average?
I like what I am reading, this makes sense but would be hard to sell to the greedy agent!

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:38 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post

9 - 32 years old
8 - 33
7 - 34
5 - 35
4 - 36
1 - 37
1 - 38
1 - 39

He should get at least a Vinny-like contract and he should be still in his peak until 34-35, so no need for him to get less.

27-28-29-30-31-32-33-34 = 8 years x 10million
35-36 = 2 years x 6 millions
37-38 = 2 years x 5 millions
39 = 3 millions
40 = 1 million
41 = 1 million

15 years = 107 millions
Cap hit = 7.13

That's the kind a contract it will take to sign him...

I'd love to get Kovy no2, but we need to trade Gomez to even think about getting him sign to an extension.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 08:37 PM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Well unless you find a way to trade Hamrlik, its not going to happen. Otherwise, wave goodbye to Cammalleri or Plekanec. Trading Gomez would not make sense as we still need 2 offensive centers. Remember we have to resign Markov soon.
You honneslty think no teams would be interested in hammer lol ?

With hamrlik gone u free up 5.5mil why exactly do we need to waive or trade cammalleri exactly ?

Waive BGL trade metro and ur good for kovy this year,I'm not saying it would be our best option we would clearly be really tight on cap but I'm just trying to show it's not impossible to get kovy

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 08:57 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
You honneslty think no teams would be interested in hammer lol ?

With hamrlik gone u free up 5.5mil why exactly do we need to waive or trade cammalleri exactly ?

Waive BGL trade metro and ur good for kovy this year,I'm not saying it would be our best option we would clearly be really tight on cap but I'm just trying to show it's not impossible to get kovy
You can waive as many and trade as many players as you want, but you still have to dress 20 players a night. And that means there will still be salaries on the roster even with the one's you have deleted.

I don't want any player for 10-13 years until they are 40 for 6-7 million per on average.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:00 PM
McNuts

Why the hell would you want to give up important assets to get a player who will be UFA in july? To win a cup? It's not like we were a top 4 NHL team. This "do or die" will end up in a "die" and we can't even sign him in july.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Avim86

Quote:
I like what I am reading, this makes sense but would be hard to sell to the greedy agent!
Yeah and the nhl... you can't cut a player's salary more then half....go cba.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:13 PM
tinyzombies

Whoever gives up the best draft picks wins. Boston is in a good position to do that thanks to Toronto.

actually, picking up Satan kinda indicates that boston might not be in the mix??

Last edited by tinyzombies: 01-04-2010 at 09:24 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:27 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
eklund is a ****ing idiot
why the ****ing hell would the Habs give up that for essentially a rental player

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:30 PM
la25ecoupe

Even Hamilton is interested in Kovalchuk

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:39 PM
scottyG

Forget about trading for him we should just sign him in the off season for a 12-15 year contract with a 6-8Million dollar cap hit.

1)Gainey trades gionta( I like Gio but when a player like kovalchuk comes along you make room)
2)Trades Hamrlik
3)Waives/Trades Laraque

Then your lineup next year **(Dosen't mean this is the way the players will be placed)

Cammy(6.00M)-Gomez(7.3M)-Kovalchuk(7.00M)
A.Kost(3.25M)-Plekanec(4.50M)-Pouliot(.850M)
Moen(1.50M)-Metro(1M)-Paccioretty(.875M)
X(.500M)-Lapierre(.750M)-S.kostitsyn(.750M)
Extra: Pyatt,White,D'ags,X(2.00M)

Forwards:~36.3Million

Markov(5.75M)-Gorges(1.10M)
Spacek(3.83M)-Subban(.875M)
Gill(2.25M)-O'byrne(.942M)
Mara(1.8M)

Extra:Weber,etc(1.5M)

Defense:~15M

Price(3.00M)
Backup(1.00M)

Goalies:4.00M

Total: 55.3 Million Give or take a couple of Million.

Last edited by scottyG: 01-04-2010 at 10:01 PM.
scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Forget about trading for him we should just sign him in the off season for a 12-15 year contract with a 6-8Million dollar cap hit.

1)Gainey trades gionta( I like Gio but when a player like kovalchuk comes along you make room)
2)Trades Hamrlik
3)Waives/Trades Laraque

Then your lineup next year **(Dosen't mean this is the way the players will be placed)

Cammy(6.00M)-Gomez(7.3M)-Kovalchuk(7.00M)
A.Kost(3.25M)-Maxwell(.850M)-Pouliot(.850M)
Moen(1.50M)-Metro(1M)-Paccioretty(.875M)
X(.500M)-Lapierre(.750M)-S.kostitsyn(.750M)
Extra: Pyatt,White,D'ags,X(2.00M)

Forwards:~32.5Million

Markov(5.75M)-Gorges(1.10M)
Spacek(3.83M)-Subban(.875M)
Gill(2.25M)-O'byrne(.942M)
Mara(1.8M)

Extra:Weber,etc(1.5M)

Defense:~15M

Price(3.00M)
Backup(1.00M)

Goalies:4.00M

Total: 51.5 Million Give or take a couple of Million.
All those moves and you end up with a weaker team than we have now...

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:54 PM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
All those moves and you end up with a weaker team than we have now...
Not really... Kovalchuk >>>> Gionta

Hamrlik > Subban (Based on experience but who knows maybe Subban will come in an play good)
Laraque<<<<<< Anybody

Although i forgot about Plekanec I just added him now.

Last edited by scottyG: 01-04-2010 at 10:02 PM.
scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Kovalchuk has very little playoff experience. We're not a contender. So why give up so much to get a UFA who will more than likely leave ? Yeah, that's what I thought.

We need a big number 1 centre more than Kovalchuk.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 03:10 AM
SherbrookeW

This would be a truly insane move. You'd be giving up some of your most valuable assets (including Andrei K. , who will score forty-to-fifty somewhere someday) in exchange for a rental who would have absolutely no motive to sign long-term until he saw, quite rationally, what he could get in the open market first -- and this in a year when we have no realistic chance at the Cup.
Of course, if you could sign him long term...but we have just as good/just as bad a chance of doing that in July as everyone else regardless of what happens in the next few months.

SherbrookeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
who the hell is frad marchand?
Brad Marchand is one of their good prospect. He's got good hands, he looks a bit like Avery, a lot of people hate him !

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Not really... Kovalchuk >>>> Gionta

Hamrlik > Subban (Based on experience but who knows maybe Subban will come in an play good)
Laraque<<<<<< Anybody

Although i forgot about Plekanec I just added him now.
Having a rookie in your top 4 might hurt you more than Kovalchuk will help, as skilled as Subban is, I can't see him top 4 full time for another 18 months AT LEAST.

Plus Kovalchuk is looking for a ridiculous 10 mil contract for 10-11 years, not 7 mil cap hit.

Old
01-05-2010, 07:16 AM
sandman08

i know who Brad marchand is... i was just being an ass.. either way tho.. if bob mckenzie stated the rumored requirements were 2 high picks + 2 nhl ready prospects + 1 young roster player and the proposed bruins trade involved the picks + colbourne, marchand and lovecchio then who is the young roster player theyre giving up? because as far as i can see, those 3 players i mentioned have a whopping 12 games in their nhl careers, all by marchand and all this year , a year in which the bruins have been hit pretty hard by injuries to forwards (off the top of my head, savard, lucic and krejci have missed time plus they traded kobasew).. if the team is going to have to give up a young roster player for a guy like kovulchuk its going to "hurt" in some way, as good as those kids are/maybe, theyre dont 'hurt" the bruins, if i were to venture a guess as to who the young guy would be it'd be someone like wheeler, sobotka or krejci possibly (although i dont think they'd have to give up krejci personally nor would they) and before anyone says "but but but.. look at what they got for hossa" im aware of that trade and im aware of how much it cost then but they had a guy to sell then, his name is ilya kovulchuk, they werent trading the face of the team then, they are now... you have to sell the team to the fans somehow and if youre trading ilya you arent doing it for that, you have to have someone to sell.. the hawks are rumored to be willing to part with guys like barker and versteeg so they can kill 2 birds with one stone, alleviate cap pressure for next year and bolster their cup chances now but if they were to make a trade along those lines it'd still cost a bit more than just those 2 (pick(s) and maybe a prospect or two.. i doubt it'd cost say beach but maybe a guy like aliu or skille, etc)
for the habs i wouldnt be surprised to see the price tag include pk subban as the prospect (or someone else we dont want to see gone)...
are we a cup contender w/ ilya? i dont know. its hard to say really but its going to cost more than its probably worth in the long run heh

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

So, in my opinion Boston is in the perfect position to make the move for Kovalchuk, I know that we don't want to hear this, but Boston can contend this season with him.

To Atlanta:

Joe Colborne
Brad Marchand
Jeff LoVecchio

To Boston:

Ilya Kovalchuk
I can't see Boston paying anything close to that, Toronto's 1st could be Taylor Hall. At the end of the day this is a rental player with no playoff track record. As much as he could be a difference maker it will be a situation where Atlanta will have to drop their demands by a lot or end up not moving him.

Also, Brad Marchand is maybe out for the year with a broken leg.

Old
01-05-2010, 07:43 AM
peicurler91

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenYoung View Post
This proposal isn't very good.
You get your superstar, but you give up your secondary players.
Not to mention a 1st round draft pick (which could be a good pick this year)

peicurler91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 08:13 AM
BLONG7

I think Kovalchuck's agent would take less $$$ over a longer term to make it cap friendly, on a team that has playoffs on it;s mind and is in a REAL hockey market........how well do Markov and Ilya know each other? Maybe at the Olympics Markov could sway Kovy???

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
I think Kovalchuck's agent would take less $$$ over a longer term to make it cap friendly, on a team that has playoffs on it;s mind and is in a REAL hockey market........how well do Markov and Ilya know each other? Maybe at the Olympics Markov could sway Kovy???
I don't know why but I have a funny feeling he leaves for Russia (KHL)

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:

To Atlanta:

Joe Colborne
Brad Marchand
Jeff LoVecchio

To Boston:

Ilya Kovalchuk
From Montreal

1st round pick 2010
1st round pick 2011
Sergei Kostitsyn
Andrei Kostitsyn