HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Breaking in Graf Skates?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-31-2009, 02:12 AM
  #1
drorange14
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Country: Canada
Posts: 383
vCash: 500
Breaking in Graf Skates?

Alright so I decided to bite the bullet the other day, and I bought a brand new pair of Grafs. I haven't had a new pair of skates for about 7 years, and I don't remember how it was to break in my old skates.


I had my foot measured and ended up with a pair of narrow 705s, which felt great when I tried them on in the store (especially after being baked in the oven). I took them to the outdoor rink today and found that they were really pinching the widest part of my foot, and it was quite painful to lean into a turn and do a crossover. I skated for about 45 minutes before I left, and my feet weren't very comfortable in the skate.

I was under the impression that when you get fitted for a pair of Grafs, they are almost customized to your foot, and they shouldn't hurt your feet when you skate in them. I expected the skate to be somewhat stiff and still have a need to be broken in, but should there be a period where your feet hurt to skate in these skates? I am worried that I have bought the wrong skate model...Any insight would be appreciated.

drorange14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 02:56 AM
  #2
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Being fitted for a skate and getting custom skates are two WAY different things.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 12:40 PM
  #3
SouthpawTRK
Registered User
 
SouthpawTRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
If you are buying a skate off the shelf (even if you have it baked), there's definitely going to be a break in period no matter what. You might want to talk to the shop you bought them from and see if they can punch out the tight area on your foot? I talked to a guy at a recent stick/puck session, that said it took a little while for him to break in his Grafs.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 05:04 PM
  #4
mememe000
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Some states can be heat molded, look that up.

mememe000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 08:44 PM
  #5
Trailwood
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Heat molding won't do anything for the front of the skates. Take them in and get them punched out. If they can't do it, try a ski shop... they do the same thing with ski boots.

Trailwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:48 PM
  #6
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailwood View Post
Heat molding won't do anything for the front of the skates. Take them in and get them punched out. If they can't do it, try a ski shop... they do the same thing with ski boots.
Woaaaa ....if you need to have a boot punched out just days after buying them. They likely don't fit.

Another problem with the original post. Instead of a narrow 705, why didn't they just put you in a regular width 703?

Are they uncomfortable, or painful? Painful is not good, but uncomfortable can be expected even after baking.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 11:29 PM
  #7
nuckss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
I recall my 705s taking almost 3 months to break in and fully conform to my foot. In the meantime, it was a lot of blisters. But, when they passed that point, they were awesome. I've had them for 10 years and only in the last year or so have I noticed wear in the leather and padding on the inside. So, you may need to be patient, and maybe wear a thinner sock if possible until they really start to conform.

nuckss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 11:36 PM
  #8
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckss View Post
I recall my 705s taking almost 3 months to break in and fully conform to my foot. In the meantime, it was a lot of blisters. But, when they passed that point, they were awesome. I've had them for 10 years and only in the last year or so have I noticed wear in the leather and padding on the inside. So, you may need to be patient, and maybe wear a thinner sock if possible until they really start to conform.

Not to take away from your post, but skates from 10 years ago and skates now are WAY different. Every skate i ever had took a long time to break in until the 120 ag's came out, then it was like 3 hrs.


Im not saying your skates should/will break in in 3 hrs or 3 days or 3 months. Im just saying breaking in skates from 10 years ago and breaking skates now arnt even close.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:19 AM
  #9
Maupin Fan
Hot Air
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
skates that fit properly shouldnt take more than a couple hours to break in. it took me an hour to break in my vapor 60s without having them baked, so even a boot that stiff shouldnt take long when fit is correct

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:16 AM
  #10
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,606
vCash: 500
You shouldn't have hardly any pain with a modern skate. It sounds like they put you in the wrong ones...you need a wider skate.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 01:38 PM
  #11
AngryBoss
Registered User
 
AngryBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drorange14 View Post
Alright so I decided to bite the bullet the other day, and I bought a brand new pair of Grafs. I haven't had a new pair of skates for about 7 years, and I don't remember how it was to break in my old skates.


I had my foot measured and ended up with a pair of narrow 705s, which felt great when I tried them on in the store (especially after being baked in the oven). I took them to the outdoor rink today and found that they were really pinching the widest part of my foot, and it was quite painful to lean into a turn and do a crossover. I skated for about 45 minutes before I left, and my feet weren't very comfortable in the skate.

I was under the impression that when you get fitted for a pair of Grafs, they are almost customized to your foot, and they shouldn't hurt your feet when you skate in them. I expected the skate to be somewhat stiff and still have a need to be broken in, but should there be a period where your feet hurt to skate in these skates? I am worried that I have bought the wrong skate model...Any insight would be appreciated.
I had the exact same experience.
Felt great in the store, but horrible on the ice. I couldn't even stand on them after 15 minutes of skating. My feet were in agony.

They had to be widened and modified 6 different times before the store manager decided the skate wasn't right for my foot.

Now I wear Easton's. GREAT skate for my wide, high-arched feet!

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 02:22 PM
  #12
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,606
vCash: 500
The tip I've heard is to walk around a lot before trying on skates. Your feet will get some blood to them and widen a bit. So go for a good 15-20 minute walk in comfortable street shoes, then try on some skates.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 09:50 AM
  #13
WDR357
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boston Area
Country: United States
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
FWIW, I just bought 705's last month. Oddly, only my left foot has had some small issues with what you describe. A little rubbing up in the front of my foot. I also have a little bit of the heel getting friction but otherwise they've been great. I do not lace tightly until I get to where my arch and ankle meet. That is, all I do with the laces prior to that is make sure there is no slack in them but I don't tighten. There really isn't any need for me to at that part of the boot as the skates fit me as they should. I have no side to side movement up front. I assume the heel friction is just a function wearing them in and has left me with only one blister.

I would make sure you're not lacing them tightly up front. Just take out the slack in the laces and then go tight at the arch/ankle meeting point to seal your heel into the boot. I've loved my 705's thus far even with those small issues.

WDR357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:04 PM
  #14
kingpest19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Not to take away from your post, but skates from 10 years ago and skates now are WAY different. Every skate i ever had took a long time to break in until the 120 ag's came out, then it was like 3 hrs.


Im not saying your skates should/will break in in 3 hrs or 3 days or 3 months. Im just saying breaking in skates from 10 years ago and breaking skates now arnt even close.
Last time I looked at a pair of 705s there were built with the same materials as the ones i bought 9 years ago. If the materials havent changed the break in time is still going to be the same.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:29 PM
  #15
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,461
vCash: 501
Some materials may have changed. The foams on the inside for instance. The ones in there now are made to break in with baking, which will greatly speed up the process.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:40 PM
  #16
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
graf switzerland made the skates with felt tongues, leather boot, suede interior and plastic outsoles but since they were bought out by a canadian company(if i remember correctly) they have been trying to make a more contemporary skate with more composite materials and water resistant interior and even chaning some of the boot too but havent really been able to get it right and compete with other companies.

many people who buy grafs are previous owners of grafs. they still are more traditional skate but not as much as they were before they were graf canada. they are pretty heavy but people most realize that when they aer getting graf skates

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 09:47 PM
  #17
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Last time I looked at a pair of 705s there were built with the same materials as the ones i bought 9 years ago. If the materials havent changed the break in time is still going to be the same.
When was the last time you looked?

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 10:44 PM
  #18
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
When was the last time you looked?
You can still get old school 7 series Grafs.

First line in the 703's product description -
Quote:
It has been in production the longest and continues to be the most popular of all models

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 10:58 PM
  #19
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
You can still get old school 7 series Grafs.

First line in the 703's product description -

So you are saying they havnt been changed in 10 years? at all? in any way? come on

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 07:19 AM
  #20
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
So you are saying they havnt been changed in 10 years? at all? in any way? come on
No, Graf is saying that, that's why he posted the product description.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:19 AM
  #21
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
So you are saying they havnt been changed in 10 years? at all? in any way? come on
Like Gino said, Graf's saying it. Check out the Graf site.

http://www.grafcanada.com/hockey_skates/703.php

The 703's they show are almost identical to the ones I bought some 10 years ago. Changes are new composite out-sole, SIDAS footbed, and the airnet lining from the ultra series.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:57 PM
  #22
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Like Gino said, Graf's saying it. Check out the Graf site.

http://www.grafcanada.com/hockey_skates/703.php

The 703's they show are almost identical to the ones I bought some 10 years ago. Changes are new composite out-sole, SIDAS footbed, and the airnet lining from the ultra series.
So it is the same but it is different, gotcha

Nowhere on the Graf site does it say anything about the skate not changing in 10 years. PLENTY of places on the site does it say improving EVOLUTION and DESIGN is the top goal of Graf.

PS you mean these 703's

"New for the 703 is a Microfibre quarter construction that provides maximum lateral support, durability and weight reduction. This evolution makes for a marked improvement in fit and function. We've also improved the 703 logo insert cut to give more moldability in the ankle bone area. The premium level 703 also features GRAF's new ready-to-fit footbed with SIDAS Technology. Molded in the athlete's power position, the footbed aids in responsive push off and improved heel lock. Experienced skaters will love the superior quickness and appreciate the enhanced fit. If you're ready to take it to the next level, the 703 is where you want to be."

I guess if the skate looks almost the same, it must be the same though.


Last edited by CanadaBacon: 01-10-2010 at 02:22 PM.
CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:58 AM
  #23
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
So it is the same but it is different, gotcha

Nowhere on the Graf site does it say anything about the skate not changing in 10 years. PLENTY of places on the site does it say improving EVOLUTION and DESIGN is the top goal of Graf.

PS you mean these 703's

"New for the 703 is a Microfibre quarter construction that provides maximum lateral support, durability and weight reduction. This evolution makes for a marked improvement in fit and function. We've also improved the 703 logo insert cut to give more moldability in the ankle bone area. The premium level 703 also features GRAF's new ready-to-fit footbed with SIDAS Technology. Molded in the athlete's power position, the footbed aids in responsive push off and improved heel lock. Experienced skaters will love the superior quickness and appreciate the enhanced fit. If you're ready to take it to the next level, the 703 is where you want to be."

I guess if the skate looks almost the same, it must be the same though.
I'm not basing this on looks. I spent years in a 703 and when I hold the new 703 the differences seem minor.

The core of that boot hasn't changed in years. That's something even Graf admits. They've made some improvements by adding new features but the design (I'm not talking looks either) of the boot is still the same.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.