HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Decade "Bad" Team

Old
01-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Oilers1*

vCash: 500
All I know is that I have never seen an Oiler play with less heart than Joffrey Lupul.

And while Salo was never going to win a Vezina, he was an above-average goalie who kept this team in a lot of games for a number of years when we were pretending that Anson Carter and Mike Comrie were first-liners. Yeah, he was not at his best in the playoffs but at least he got us there. . . no goalie since can claim he was the #1 on an Edmonton playoff team (Roloson and his handful of mostly terrible games heading into the 06 postseason doesn't count).

Oilers1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:33 PM
oilersblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
This is totally bogus. Where in the world is Corson?
Wrong decade. I'm willing to wager that the 00's bad team would destroy their 90's counterparts (Gord Mark, anyone?).

oilersblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Loweball

I agreed with everything on the original OP's list until I saw the name Tommy Salo. And I was disappointed as you had some good points and were funny and articulate but you lost me..Salo was our best player hands down for two years and I even recall him being outstanding in a losing cause against Dallas in the playoffs one year.

Have to say you were wrong on that one..lots worse goaltenders, including all three we are currently paying. DD is not and never will be more than a AHL goalie, JDD is a tad better, not much and will never be a goalie good enough to win a cup regardless, and Khabibulin is damaged goods and just might be put on the very very top of ALL TIME busts if he retires or needs surgery.

Never evere has our goaltending been in a worse position than now.

Why on god's green earth is Halak not an Oiler yet!!!!!!! Almost anyone can go for him. Anyone but Hemmer.

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:22 AM
slapshot™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loweball View Post
I agreed with everything on the original OP's list until I saw the name Tommy Salo. And I was disappointed as you had some good points and were funny and articulate but you lost me..Salo was our best player hands down for two years and I even recall him being outstanding in a losing cause against Dallas in the playoffs one year.

Have to say you were wrong on that one..lots worse goaltenders, including all three we are currently paying. DD is not and never will be more than a AHL goalie, JDD is a tad better, not much and will never be a goalie good enough to win a cup regardless, and Khabibulin is damaged goods and just might be put on the very very top of ALL TIME busts if he retires or needs surgery.

Why on god's green earth is Halak not an Oiler yet!!!!!!! Almost anyone can go for him. Anyone but Hemmer.
QFT.

slapshot™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:26 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loweball View Post

Gainey probably wants to wait till the deadline to sell him to the highest bidder.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:01 AM
Perfect_Drug

Rookies or not, JDD DD is probably the worst goaltending tandem the Oilers have ever seen.

They were mediocre in the AHL, I don't understand why anyone would think they'd be good at the NHL at this point.

Yes, they are far worse than Conkannen.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 08:53 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Rookies or not, JDD DD is probably the worst goaltending tandem the Oilers have ever seen.

They were mediocre in the AHL, I don't understand why anyone would think they'd be good at the NHL at this point.

Yes, they are far worse than Conkannen.
But that isnt a fair assessment. Our tandem isnt JDD DD. Its Khabby JDD. Which is miles better than Conkanen. Also it isnt fair to throw Roli into that combo. We started the season with those two clowns and no one else.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 10:20 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilers View Post
Salo sucked bigtime. He was a huge reason Weight's team lost a lot of games. Funny three years ago this board unanimously agreed on this, now the kids from the oilerboards are here I see.
Salo finished poorly, but much of his time here he was excellent.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 10:25 PM
smithboy89

Where the hell is Sven Butenschon?

smithboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 12:44 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithboy89 View Post
Where the hell is Sven Butenschon?
I went to University with a guy who looked just like him. I even made him a desktop background of tiled Butenschons. Glad I'm not the only one who remembers him.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 03:29 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studly Wonderbomb View Post
Samsonov is a terrible argument. The guy had 31 points in 43 games here.
His time in Montreal was horrid but not in Edmonton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Penner-Gagner-Nilsson
Jacques-Horcoff-O'Sullivan
Moreau-Brule-Cogliano
Stone-Potolny-Stortini

Visnovsky-Smid
Souray-Gilbert
Staios-Grebeshkov
Strudwick

JDD
DD