HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella must unleash Avery

Old
01-05-2010, 04:33 AM
ck20

vCash: 1050
avery made the bed he sleeps in. he perfectly groomed himself to be utterly hated around the league for being a dirty pest and known for his over-the-top antics (see: blowdeur fiasco). i think the "torts holding him back" scenario goes like this: torts had a talk with him about his play and play style, surely citing the PO series last season against the caps. he wouldn't let avery be a liability again this season and cost the team games and probably said if he kept up his usual shtick, he'd be seeing more and more of the bench. like people said earlier it's not like that's some kind of "you have to do this instead of what you're doing now" threat and is absolutely reasonable to tell him to cut back on the penalties, but just a reminder of what's to come if he just goes around all willy nilly. this, coupled with him ending up in the sin bin for nearly any contact towards another player now (and obviously those anger management sessions he went to), he holds himself back willingly, yet necessarily if he wants to continue playing. although that raises the question: what good is playing if you're half-assing what you're supposed to be doing?

@Fitzy: avery's not even close to being a fighter, he's a bona fide pest. nothing more, nothing less. he has the ability to score a few goals, get a few deflections and things of that sort, but at the end of the day his game is to get under the other team's skin.

Last edited by ck20: 01-05-2010 at 04:41 AM.
ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

vCash: 500
Larry Brooks is good to read when the team isn't doing well because he isn't afraid to call people out and write very critical material (whether it is warranted to specific people or not). I don't like reading Brooksie when things are going well because then it's just boring.

Andrew Gross is the best beat writer in my opinion and he usually has a few sarcastic remarks when the team is bad but he stays professional and doesn't rant or point fingers when the team plays bad (for the most part) -- he just gives the reader the tools to make their own conclusion.

The NY Post is a tabloid newspaper, so that's why you are getting some more sandpaper and "jam" as Torts likes to say when you read Brooksie's critiques.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 10:30 AM
NYRangers84
President's Trophy

I don't know but this year Avery has barely been noticeable to me. I remember in previous seasons when he was such an agitator and a pest to the other team and it was apparent, this year I forget he's on the ice in certain games.

NYRangers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 10:36 AM
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
Avery isn't the problem with this team, no matter how stridently we have some posters arguing he is a cancer, a detriment and a disgrace to the team, the city and civilization in general.

We could send Avery to Hartford tomorrow and you know what?

It wouldn't change a thing for this team, but now we'd have the same posters crying about him killing a roster spot in Hartford.

And I agree, Sean Avery hasn't played like Sean Avery since Torts got here.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
Avery isn't the problem with this team, no matter how stridently we have some posters arguing he is a cancer, a detriment and a disgrace to the team, the city and civilization in general.

We could send Avery to Hartford tomorrow and you know what?

It wouldn't change a thing for this team, but now we'd have the same posters crying about him killing a roster spot in Hartford.

And I agree, Sean Avery hasn't played like Sean Avery since Torts got here.
I agree with you, but he really hasnt been much of a solution at all either.

Theres nothing really to "unleash"

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 10:45 AM
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
I think the constant juggling around of lines and ice time may have something to do with it.

Bottom line,he's gotta' start cashing in some chances.As do any number of other players on the team at the moment.

Let's see how he comes out against the Stars on Wednesday.Should be interesting to see how he greets Turco and Madonna.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
It's difficult, Avery can't completely let loose because it would hurt the team, why do stupid **** and put the team down a man? At the same time, Avery's trying to be more of a hockey player, he still starts stuff if you pay attention, every time the opposing goalie covers up he'll shove the closest d-man or he'll start something after the whistle with the closest player. It's not that he's being held back he's being selective, a controlled aggression kinda like Happy Gilmore

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:53 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Avery needs to play with bravado, he needs to stoke emotions and he needs to skate on the edge.
If I were the coach I would tape above Seans locker.