HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Two men die after playing recreational hockey at Sharks Ice in San Jose

Old
09-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Pedagogue

vCash: 500
This is a sad story. My condolences to the family. I am not sure what the cause of death was. I am assuming a heart attack. Hockey is a very strenuous sport that puts a lot of pressure on the heart. Unfortunately, this is more common than people realize. Any player in their mid to late 30's should know their limits.

Pedagogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:00 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
If you play hockey to keep in shape, this can happen. These guys, if they don't exercise any, go from 0 stress to a lot of stress on the heart suddenly, bad idea eh?

Not really, think of the hundreds of thousands of oldtimers whos only activity is hockey once a week.

****** deal Southpaw, unfortunatly these things happen, its a shame it happened to your brother and your family.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:11 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
My brother Brian was one of the two players that passed away that night at Sharks Ice in San Jose. Even though it's been more than 7 months after the passing of my brother, I still am in shock that he is no longer here with us. My brother passed away doing what he loved the most; hockey.

I remember years ago he wanted to get some inline skates so that he could take up playing roller hockey. I had a friend that worked at a local skate shop and he hooked up my brother with a good deal on some skates. Brian played roller hockey for quite some time and then eventually graduated to playing ice hockey. He played for a long time at Hockey Workout, until they shut their doors. He eventually joined the adult league at Sharks Ice.

By no way, shape or form was my brother out of shape as someone had mentioned earlier. He lived a very healthy lifestyle; no drinking, no smoking, plenty of exercise (cycling was his other big passion) and of course hockey was on the top of his list.

After my brother's passing, I started to develop a greater interest in hockey. Perhaps it was a way for me to fill a void in my life since he was no longer with us. Will I ever play hockey? Perhaps in a year or so, once I feel like I'm in decent shape. Until then, I like going out to Gretzky Hour to work on my skating and stick handling.

I really appreciate all the kind words that have been said on the HF Forum; definitely very heart warming to say the least.
Wow...I can't imagine what It would feel like, and I apologize for some of the ignorant remarks, it is the internet after all...Condolences bud, he's up there in the rink in the sky

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:30 PM

A guy from my midnight shinny crew had a heart attack and died on the ice (while I was away). In memorium, we had both dark and light jersey's made up with personalized crests. I think it is a wonderful way to remember someone who passed away doing something they loved.

15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Moses Doughty
Long term bandwagons

Southpaw, I send my condolences to your family and say sorry for the ignorant retards saying dumb things.

BTW the person who said that ambulances go there every 18 months, only a little more than a year before a goalie(from the same organization that I was with at the time) almost died from blood loss after getting his wrist cut by a skate.

Weird thing is, the guy that saved the goalies life was my counseler at hockey camp(which is in Minnesota in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by Moses Doughty: 01-04-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 01:14 AM
TheSandman

Southpaw, my condolences to you and your family. With what you've been through, you have a lot of courage to go out there to the rink and play.

TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 07:57 PM
sharkticon

Quote:
My brother Brian was one of the two players that passed away that night at Sharks Ice in San Jose. Even though it's been more than 7 months after the passing of my brother, I still am in shock that he is no longer here with us. My brother passed away doing what he loved the most; hockey.

I remember years ago he wanted to get some inline skates so that he could take up playing roller hockey. I had a friend that worked at a local skate shop and he hooked up my brother with a good deal on some skates. Brian played roller hockey for quite some time and then eventually graduated to playing ice hockey. He played for a long time at Hockey Workout, until they shut their doors. He eventually joined the adult league at Sharks Ice.

By no way, shape or form was my brother out of shape as someone had mentioned earlier. He lived a very healthy lifestyle; no drinking, no smoking, plenty of exercise (cycling was his other big passion) and of course hockey was on the top of his list.

After my brother's passing, I started to develop a greater interest in hockey. Perhaps it was a way for me to fill a void in my life since he was no longer with us. Will I ever play hockey? Perhaps in a year or so, once I feel like I'm in decent shape. Until then, I like going out to Gretzky Hour to work on my skating and stick handling.

I really appreciate all the kind words that have been said on the HF Forum; definitely very heart warming to say the least.
SouthpawTRK,

Again, my condolences. I don't think there is any better honor than to play a hockey game yourself in Brian's name, even if it takes a while for you to learn.

I lost my grandmother a few years back, and she never got to see me graduate college, so one of these days i plan to bring a copy of my diploma to her grave site back east. It may take me a while to get out there, but one of these days i will do it.

take care and keep your head up!

sharkticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

I'm sorry you lost your brother .... your post makes me think because I am 41 and play a lot of ice hockey.

I am also "in shape", I do not drink and do not smoke anything.

If I have a heart attack while playing that is what happens, unfortunately heart attacks have a high mortality rate when 911 is called because of the response time involved to get help. Cardiac Arrest is best treated when at the hospital when it happens, most heart attack survivors had symptoms without their heart stopping and could get to a hospital. Full Cardiac Arrest however almost always results in death when CPR does not get the heart going.

As the article mentions CPR was administered as well as a defibrillator for one of the emergencies mentioned. I know fear of having a heart attack while playing isn't going to stop anyone from playing UNLESS a doctor tells them they are a high risk and should not exert themselves physically like that.

I wonder how many players are at risk and if it could even be detected. This thread reminded me of a guy I knew in the early 90s who was 42 and had a heart attack and died while playing hockey.

I just hope it doesn't happen to me because like I said I won't stop playing even in my 50s or 60s if my health permits it.

I am extremely sorry for your loss seriously.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 11:03 PM
SouthpawTRK

I wanted to say once again thank you to everyone for their words of sympathy regarding the passing of my brother. From the tragic day of his passing, things will never be the same for our family, Brian will always be remembered in our minds and hearts.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 10:30 AM
WDR357

From one Southpaw to another, please accept my belated sympathies.

As for 40 being such a risk issue, I'd say hogwash! I play with a guy who is 66 and keeps up with the prep school kids we play with occasionally. Obviously it makes news when someone passes while exerting themselves but for the most part a fit individual has little to worry about.

WDR357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 10:57 AM
edmonton_ice

Sadness

SouthpawTRK

I am tearing up reading the posts about the death of two men on the ice. In Edmonton there have been several incidences where seemingly healthy men fall dead from undetected heart issues. My best friendís brother had chest aneurism and his mother found him dead at the computer in the morning.

I want to send out my condolences to families of two young men who passed away. I will definitely be thinking of them when I play my next men's league game this weekend.

Hockey is a great sport and fans need to unite during these tragedies and be strong for each other.

I am sure your brother is watching down on us while he plays an awesome game of street hockey.

edmonton_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Hockeyfan68

It goes to show anything can happen at any time and it can be from anything.

I had a cousin die at 42 from a blood clot in his lung which originated from a bad vessel in his leg. He was found at home in his bathrobe getting ready to eat breakfast.

We all hope this stuff will give symptoms first so we know what is wrong but often there are none and it just happens.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 12:12 AM
raganblink

south-

In May my buddy who was 30 had a heart attack and died on the bench. He had a beer belly but wasn't really that out of shape. ****ing shame we couldn't save him. **** hurts, I know how it feels. Be thankful you were not there. You wouldn't want to be, being helpless on an act that you can't control that takes someone you love is the worst feeling i've ever had, wouldn't wish it on anybody.

Haven't had a day go by thinking about how I couldn't save his life. Weirdly, the only way that makes things feel better is if i play hockey on that same sheet he died. Haven't lost a game on it, have played out of my ass, and when i play with his brother it helps so much ease the pain. Wish he was here, but, playing with his bro and when we play we remember who he was and not how he died- it eases the pain.

Good to hear you're playing to try to fill in a void to remember him. Whatever you can do to remember and not forget everything about him the less the pain feels.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 11:53 AM
SouthpawTRK

When I was at the Sharks home opener, I had a lot of old memories come back of my brother. It was in the late 90's when I went to my first Sharks game with my brother Brian; they were playing the Panthers. I had gotten some tickets from my boss (second row from the glass) and we had a great time. One of the other memorable time that I had with my brother at the Sharks tank was the night that Roenick scored his 500th goal. On the night of the Sharks home opener; as Heatley scored his hattie; my eyes got a little teary. It was truly amazing to see Heatley score a hattie on the home opener and the Heatley chant from the crowd. I guess it was the combination of Heatley's success, the support from the crowd and wishing that my brother could be with me at the game, that made me get a bit sad. I know that my brother would have had a blast watching the Sharks clean house with the Bluejackets, I wish he could have been there with me. While I really wish my brother could be here with us today to enjoy watching the Sharks, I really wish he could be here to be with his wife and daughter that he never got to see. My family and myself thank all of the support and kind words from all the HF members.

Last edited by SouthpawTRK: 10-12-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old
01-04-2010, 04:06 PM
SouthernSniper54

South-

Sorry to hear about your bro, I'm reading these posts at work and its taking every bit of my strength to choke back the tears. I have lost friends but never a sibling, I cant imagine how hard it is for you. Just know we all support ya and feel for ya. I am sure your bro is in good company with the Hockey Gods and all.

SouthernSniper54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 06:05 PM
SouthpawTRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSniper54 View Post
South-

Sorry to hear about your bro, I'm reading these posts at work and its taking every bit of my strength to choke back the tears. I have lost friends but never a sibling, I cant imagine how hard it is for you. Just know we all support ya and feel for ya. I am sure your bro is in good company with the Hockey Gods and all.
SouthernSniper54,

Thank you very much for the kind words about my brother. I too am sure that he is in good company with other loved ones that have passed, as well as the Hockey Gods. I really miss him a lot...

Old
01-04-2010, 08:56 PM
rinkrat22

being a paramedic and avid hockey player I am going to suggest that all you guys LEARN CPR. Its like a 4 hour class. your local Fire Departments' if they don't offer classes can send you to the people that do give them. You can get a mask that you could keep in your hockey bag that you can use for mouth to mouth to protect from any germs. although CPR will not "save" a life it does help to sustain life until advanced care arrives. I don't know all the info to say what did or could of happened, but wouldn't you feel better knowing that you might be able to help? for all the time we spend on here debating whats the best stick or should I wear a visor or cage I think learning CPR wouldn't be that big of a sacrifice.
end of sermon

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 12:01 PM
SouthpawTRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
being a paramedic and avid hockey player I am going to suggest that all you guys LEARN CPR. Its like a 4 hour class. your local Fire Departments' if they don't offer classes can send you to the people that do give them. You can get a mask that you could keep in your hockey bag that you can use for mouth to mouth to protect from any germs. although CPR will not "save" a life it does help to sustain life until advanced care arrives. I don't know all the info to say what did or could of happened, but wouldn't you feel better knowing that you might be able to help? for all the time we spend on here debating whats the best stick or should I wear a visor or cage I think learning CPR wouldn't be that big of a sacrifice.
end of sermon
You are absolutely correct that everyone on the ice; both players and referees should have proper training on CPR. I have some vacation time next week (I'll be staying at home), so I will sign up for a CPR class.