HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Reebok Edge Hockey Socks

Old
01-05-2010, 01:49 PM
gintonic

vCash: 500
Reebok Edge Hockey Socks

Anyone have experience with these socks? Specifically what I'm interested in is if they hold up longer without holes than the regular socks. If not, I don't how you'd justify the extra 10 or so bucks for them.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 01:56 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

They're durability is questionable. In no way do they last longer than traditional socks, but they're easy as hell to put on and light as a feather.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 01:58 PM
pfloyd75

I've only played in them once when I forgot to pack socks in my bag and a teammate loaned me a pair of the RBKs. I prefer the old style socks personally. Not sure about durability but they do seem flimsy. My main beef was that they didnt seem to stay up and secured to my velcro as well as traditional socks do.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 02:12 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfloyd75 View Post
I've only played in them once when I forgot to pack socks in my bag and a teammate loaned me a pair of the RBKs. I prefer the old style socks personally. Not sure about durability but they do seem flimsy. My main beef was that they didnt seem to stay up and secured to my velcro as well as traditional socks do.
don't they come with the velcro patch on the sock so that it matches onto the jock short velcro?

that should be much better than the sock cotton onto the jock short velcro.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 02:25 PM
pfloyd75

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
don't they come with the velcro patch on the sock so that it matches onto the jock short velcro?

that should be much better than the sock cotton onto the jock short velcro.
The ones I had did have parts that were designed to stick to velcro but they werent actually velcro- it was just a different type of material. It didn't stick like traditional socks IMO.

Old
01-05-2010, 02:27 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
I perfer cotton. I am actually seeing less and less of these Edge socks in my league now.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Pog Form

A few guys on my team wear the RBK socks, but I'll be sticking with my cotton ones until they fall apart. Actually, I'll probably stick with them long after they fall apart too.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 04:14 PM
woodford

The velcro tabs are meant for the RBK 9K pants, hence why they do not work with the jock plus type of underwear.

As for durability, no they will not last as long as traditional cotton socks. My son is playing novice and he burned through a pair in a matter of a dozen skates (mind you he is in novice and falls frequently). But for $25 bucks one would think that they would be more durable.

On a side note they are really slippery, ie. you will slide a lot further if you fall down on your knees.

woodford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 02:12 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
I love the pro ones, and they're pretty durable by and large.

Retail ones I haven't tried, but they look like crap and only come in kid or the size equivalent to the pro xl, which there is no way in hell would work for me.

Oh, and the pro ones stick to the velcro They breathe really well and keep my legs noticeably cooler.

The cooler and performance aspect is what you're paying extra for- not durability. Cheap and durable is easy, but if you build them to be both durable and preform, the price becomes more then they think the average player or parent will pay. The pros get those ones, retail customers get a cheaper version that still performs similarly but is made of much cheaper material.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 11:27 AM
pfloyd75

Hmm. I didn't notice the coolness factor when I tried them but I wasn't really looking for it. Being a goalie most of the time, I find that anytime I skate out is a very cool experience by comparison. Also, the ones I tried were the pro ones from a Thrashers team gear sale. I'd be willing to try them again, but considering the 10 pairs or so of cotton socks that I have in my closet- it might be a while before I break down and get some.

Old
01-08-2010, 06:13 PM
MatthewT

I prefer the new rbk over the cotton

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 11:50 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
The Rbk socks also have a flaw- they are not cut proof. This is contributing to the loads of NHLers' that are getting leg/calf/ankle lacerations in game. The Nike swift socks, in my experience, are a much safer sock in that aspect.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote