HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

"That's a first-line player"- Ray Bourque on MSP

Old
01-05-2010, 08:38 AM
CupofOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post
Everyone should hope MPS doesn't spend time in the AHL. Virtually every single successful Swedish player makes the jump directly to the NHL from the SEL. The only exception are marginal players like Sjostrom.

SEL is a much better training ground for Swedish players than the AHL -- I know of almost no exceptions.
Yeah, but it might be wise for him to spend a year in the AHL getting used to the smaller North American rinks which would be especially important for him considering his style of play using speed as his biggest asset. I doubt he'll want to play in the AHL anyway, it'll be either SEL or NHL next year and i'm thinking that he'll spend one more year in the SEL which i personally would be fine with because based on what i saw of him in the WJC, his game is still really raw and can use some more seasoning in the SEL, he doesn't appear quite NHL ready yet imo.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Yup. 99% of all the good Swedish players didn't downgrade from the SEL to the AHL. MPS either goes back to Timra or plays in Edmonton.
Here's hoping for a new kid-line next season of MPS-Hall-Eberle.

Vet line
Vet line#2
Checking line
kid-line

I am curious, I have heard rumblings of people suggesting 'we' trade away Penner... perhaps I am daft but he is young, big, seems to be finding his groove, and - this year at least - is turning into a bargain. What of trading away Hemsky? I haven't heard that suggested recently - he is getting older, relatively small, has never found his groove, consistently does that circle thing behind the opposing players net and then loses the puck (seems he is unwilling to play in the toughest area of the ice - in front of the net) but has a decent contract (or maybe he doesn't). This team needs to find a first line center - or have Penner in that position and acquire a new LW'r; I would like to seem them acquire Carter - if it is at all possible. Carter is young and brings the sort of game this team needs... plus he would be around when this team becomes a contender (which he would be a big piece of). he should be this teams big acquisition... forget Jagr, Kovalchuk, etc.

Maybe Hemsky would fetch 'us' the defensively capable defenseman many of us have been longing for. Whats Hemsky's value like compared to Volchenkov?

Penner-Carter-Horcoff (I doubt 'we' find a taker for Horcoff - and this gives a very capable top line, which is defensively sound, big, physical, and capable of scoring.)

Jacques/?????-Brule-Gagner (Jacques brings the size this line needs... unless 'we' can find a more capable winger through trade; I wonder if Buffalo still likes Gilbert? Or, a bigger center and move Brule to the wing.)

Potulny/Jacques-Stone-Stortini (There is room for improvement; Stortini however is going nowhere - 'our' coaching staff seems to love him.)

MPS-Hall-Eberle (protected minutes; and the chance for a lot of upside. The top line would draw the top pairings of opposing teams, leaving the bottom two pairings for the kids. This kid-line is a vast improvement over the wunder-kidline of a few seasons ago.)

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 09:04 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Yeah, but it might be wise for him to spend a year in the AHL getting used to the smaller North American rinks which would be especially important for him considering his style of play using speed as his biggest asset. I doubt he'll want to play in the AHL anyway, it'll be either SEL or NHL next year and i'm thinking that he'll spend one more year in the SEL which i personally would be fine with because based on what i saw of him in the WJC, his game is still really raw and can use some more seasoning in the SEL, he doesn't appear quite NHL ready yet imo.
I wouldn't be gutted if he spent another year in the SEL - despite what Bourque and McGuire says, I agree that he looked a little raw. Let him earn a spot at training camp if he can.

I just don't buy into the AHL arguments - particularly with the current state of the Falcons.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 09:22 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
I am curious, I have heard rumblings of people suggesting 'we' trade away Penner... perhaps I am daft but he is young, big, seems to be finding his groove, and - this year at least - is turning into a bargain. What of trading away Hemsky? I haven't heard that suggested recently - he is getting older, relatively small, has never found his groove, consistently does that circle thing behind the opposing players net and then loses the puck (seems he is unwilling to play in the toughest area of the ice - in front of the net) but has a decent contract (or maybe he doesn't). This team needs to find a first line center - or have Penner in that position and acquire a new LW'r; I would like to seem them acquire Carter - if it is at all possible. Carter is young and brings the sort of game this team needs... plus he would be around when this team becomes a contender (which he would be a big piece of). he should be this teams big acquisition... forget Jagr, Kovalchuk, etc.

Maybe Hemsky would fetch 'us' the defensively capable defenseman many of us have been longing for. Whats Hemsky's value like compared to Volchenkov?
ok, this post is pure lunacy.... there a bunch of things wrong with it, but i thought i'd just point out the first obvious thing that is wrong... hemsky is younger than penner, penner was born in 82 and hemsky was born in 83.... hemsky is actually 11 months younger than penner is

the contract comment is another point of hilarity.... you say penner has a good contract and imply that hemsky does not.... well, hemsky makes 150k less per year than penner does.... hemsky scores more points than penner on a year to year basis.... his PPG this year is better as well, and this has been *by far* penner's best NHL season to date

not trying to be a dick here, but there were too many mistakes in this one to let it slide

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 09:30 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post
I wouldn't be gutted if he spent another year in the SEL - despite what Bourque and McGuire says, I agree that he looked a little raw. Let him earn a spot at training camp if he can.

I just don't buy into the AHL arguments - particularly with the current state of the Falcons.
It appears that playing in Springfield has been poison to a lot of Oiler prospects but i would be more comfortable with MPS if he got used to the North American style of play before making the big jump, it seems like a double edged sword but it doesn't matter anyway because there is virtually zero chance that he ever plays in the AHL.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 10:47 AM
hemskysuncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
Here's hoping for a new kid-line next season of MPS-Hall-Eberle.

Vet line
Vet line#2
Checking line
kid-line

Penner-Carter-Horcoff (I doubt 'we' find a taker for Horcoff - and this gives a very capable top line, which is defensively sound, big, physical, and capable of scoring.)

Jacques/?????-Brule-Gagner (Jacques brings the size this line needs... unless 'we' can find a more capable winger through trade; I wonder if Buffalo still likes Gilbert? Or, a bigger center and move Brule to the wing.)

Potulny/Jacques-Stone-Stortini (There is room for improvement; Stortini however is going nowhere - 'our' coaching staff seems to love him.)

MPS-Hall-Eberle (protected minutes; and the chance for a lot of upside. The top line would draw the top pairings of opposing teams, leaving the bottom two pairings for the kids. This kid-line is a vast improvement over the wunder-kidline of a few seasons ago.)
I saw the option of trading Penner on a blog somewhere...I think lowtide. I think trading penner woudl be a product of what got edmonton into this in the first place: Bad contract management. And for that reason, I disagree with any suggestion of trading Hemsky as well. You have two PPG players (Hemsky essentially .9 PPG since the lockout) at a rate well below other PPG players. They are also still young and will improve with age for at least the next 5 years. Why would you trade them? So you can give Gagner 3 million?

Acquiring Carter means no rebuild. so if you suggest that, are you one of the anti-rebuild people? The problem is that you ahve Carter for one less season than both Penner and hemsky, and they are also both better "deals" than Carter's contract. I am not a supporter of the "complete rebuild" side, but I do think we should be patient and let then young kids that should be the stars grow into their positions instead of filling them with someone 2 or 3 years older and stunting their growth. I could only support a Carter acquisition if we send Gagner the other way...not because i dont' want him, but because that is his spot and should be, one day, his money.

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 10:47 AM
tapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
this "rebuild" will take a few year and we're not likely gonna make the playoffs next year so throw the kids out there and see what they can do
... and waste a year on their entry level deals? why? we can miss the playoffs (and get another decent pick) just as well without them next year.

tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Stoneman89

MPS is useless and will never be a decent NHL player.

Because Pierre McGuire said he is unbelievable and is an NHL player right now who will be a star.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post

Seriously... wasn't he ranked 3rd? He doesn't have character issues. He seems interested in coming to North America to play. He's got size... he's really fast and has great hands.

I don't get how we landed him.
Page 7 of last years The Hockey News Future Watch 09 had MPS ranked 3rd overall. There was a full page article on MPS on page 6...

"I love the small rinks".... "I love the high-tempo games, you get a lot of odd-man rushes".......

The concerns raised by scouts were his only 2 goals in the World Juniors... "He lacks a little focus around the net" said one scout.

MPS countered with "I want to make goals, I want to make opponents turn the puck over... I'm just a pure offensive player"...

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 03:52 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
Page 7 of last years The Hockey News Future Watch 09 had MPS ranked 3rd overall. There was a full page article on MPS on page 6...

"I love the small rinks".... "I love the high-tempo games, you get a lot of odd-man rushes".......

The concerns raised by scouts were his only 2 goals in the World Juniors... "He lacks a little focus around the net" said one scout.

MPS countered with "I want to make goals, I want to make opponents turn the puck over... I'm just a pure offensive player"...

I can't wait to see him at camp next year.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote