HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The goaltending situation

Old
01-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Emery's new mask featuring Pelle, Hextall and Parent is AWESOME!!!!

So awesome. This is a good one.
Great, great mask. Kinda feel bad he couldn't debut it at the WC.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Bryz4shiz

That mask is dope.

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 04:12 AM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
On the back it almost seems like he's signifying hanging the gloves up on his boxing helmets with this one.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 10:42 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Maybe you can debate back-ups, but Leighton's never been a starter and Boucher's never been a full time starter for a playoff team.
What does what either goalie did in the past have to do with anything? What matters is now. And, IMO, neither are good options. In the Ottawa game, sure Leighton gave up 2 softies, but the Flyers battled back and Boucher rewarded them with giving up 5 goals in 50 minutes of play.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
What does what either goalie did in the past have to do with anything? What matters is now. And, IMO, neither are good options. In the Ottawa game, sure Leighton gave up 2 softies, but the Flyers battled back and Boucher rewarded them with giving up 5 goals in 50 minutes of play.
Yeah, and before the Ottawa game, Leighton had a .962 save percentage and a GAA below 2.00.

What I was saying was that neither Leighton or Boucher had ever been a starter before for a playoff team. When Emery is healthy, he has to be the guy. If he can't be, they'll need to make a deal.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:47 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

I like Emery, and hope he plays well enough to be our guy long-term. If not, Ilya Bryzgalov is a guy I'd love to see this team acquire. He's talented, seasoned (unlike the Schneiders, Hardings, etc.) and reasonably priced under his current contract. Problem is we'd have to trade for him.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
I like Emery, and hope he plays well enough to be our guy long-term. If not, Ilya Bryzgalov is a guy I'd love to see this team acquire. He's talented, seasoned (unlike the Schneiders, Hardings, etc.) and reasonably priced under his current contract. Problem is we'd have to trade for him.
Teams don't trade top 10 goalies. If Emery doesn't pan out, the best option out there that could be had for something reasonable would be Halak. But, hopefully Emery pans out and signs for something affordable.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 01:32 PM
DoomMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
Eh, the goalie situation is a tough pill to swallow, an upgrade is certainly needed.

Boucher is coming off an injury an inconsistent. A decent back-up/

Leighton is a wild-card, but his past performance indicates he won't stay this good for that long.

Emery has been pretty poor. He had one VERY nice run for about 6 games this year, but let's face it, if Leighton tore through Carolina, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, etc...to put up good stats we would all be questioning the legitimacy of it. You want to believe in Emery so you can look at his stats after that stretch and pretend he was playing great pre-injury.

He wasn't, he was pretty pedestrian, and dominated the same teams that Nitty dominated for us last year. Otherwise, he was pretty weak all year. Hell, Leighton had a similar run to Emery's and nobody is ready to crown him King of Philly.

The one thing Emery has going for him is that he put together a decent run once Ottawa's D came together in the cup run year. Otherwise, his track record is pretty bad too.

God, Bryz would be perfect for this team.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Mike Richards 18

vCash: 50
i say before the trade deadline we need to acquire goaltending insurance!! weather its a true number 1 or a solid back up like Halak with the option to let go or re up

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 07:52 PM
CptCannon

What's gonna happen to Leighton once Emery's back and able to play to the max? Assuming Emery is the starter and Boucher being the backup.
Waived?
Traded for 15th round pick?

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 08:01 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRiles View Post
What's gonna happen to Leighton once Emery's back and able to play to the max? Assuming Emery is the starter and Boucher being the backup.
Waived?
Traded for 15th round pick?
Kept, probably...he costs a nice 300k.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 08:24 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Yeah, and before the Ottawa game, Leighton had a .962 save percentage and a GAA below 2.00.

What I was saying was that neither Leighton or Boucher had ever been a starter before for a playoff team. When Emery is healthy, he has to be the guy. If he can't be, they'll need to make a deal.
boosh has started won and stolen playoff games before. if emery cant go theres no need to make any panic moves. a significant improvement would mean a significant cost and i dont think it would be worth it with our depth to over-pay.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 08:27 PM
mm6492

Didn't they get Ilya Bryzgalov off waivers for nothing?? Thats a steal if I remember correctly.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Didn't they get Ilya Bryzgalov off waivers for nothing?? Thats a steal if I remember correctly.
Yes.

Edit: We could have had this every post-game!

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 08:21 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
boosh has started won and stolen playoff games before.
10 years ago. What does that have to do with 2010?

Old
01-06-2010, 09:24 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
10 years ago. What does that have to do with 2010?
because if the move is to be made who are the veterans who could be available. your looking at turco who is showing his age and will require moving significant salary or maybe hedberg who has been just as long out. i dont know that biron is going to still be available by the time we know the deal on emery and if so will he be worth the price?

as far as a younger guy hiller halak schneider you get the possibility of a long term answer but again price is a factor. a move like this could crush our roster depth and thus our chances in the playoffs anyway.

my point was that if your going to go into the playoffs with medicre goaltending you might as well keep the guy you have in boucher rather than overpay to make a marginal upgrade. its kinda the point in having a reliable veteran backup.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 10:27 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
my point was that if your going to go into the playoffs with medicre goaltending you might as well keep the guy you have in boucher rather than overpay to make a marginal upgrade. its kinda the point in having a reliable veteran backup.
While I agree to not overpay for a marginal upgrade I just don't think that the fact that he won some playoff games 10 years ago really much matters.