HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Questions about Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2004, 11:52 PM
wasting time

vCash: 500
Questions about Prospects

Based on the progress of this season, I am seeking perspectives on certain prospects. I have added my opinions based on limited info:

Ian White - too good to ingore for the NHL? Is this guy legitimate even with his size? I watched 3 games of his this year and he is not a defensive liability at all it seems. I do like his comparisons to Rafalksi. I think he is the real deal.

John Doherty - I have a feeling that this guy is an absolutely brutal 2nd round pick. He will never come close to getting a sniff.

Konstantin Volkov - Segei Berezin? 3 years away?

Robbie Earl - He is an NHLer, bad rep and all. A Darby Hendrickson kind of player, maybe a Geoff Sanderson at best.

Wosniewski vs. Harrison - who will be a 5 or 6 D man at the NHL level for more than a cup of coffee?

Tellqvist - Lucky to become Hedberg, far more likely to be Corey Hirsch.

Colaiacovo - Mathieu Schneider 12 years younger.

Kelly, Kronwall, D'Amour, Seikola or Marsh - who will play 100 NHL+ games? who will not?

Kyle Wellwood - He looked brutal in his first NHL game, but the kid has got real spunk. He is an NHLer in the likes of Shawn Bates.

Pierre Hedin - will we ever see him again? My guess is no.

Roman Kukenberg - I give him a couple years at best in the NHL. Is he really a prospect or just a middling European player?

Last edited by wasting time: 12-31-2004 at 12:00 AM.
Old
12-31-2004, 12:04 AM
Dark Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
Kyle Wellwood - He looked brutal in his first NHL game, but the kid has got real spunk. He is an NHLer in the likes of Shawn Bates.
I disagree with the "he looked brutal" thing because a) the whole team looked brutal in that game, b) he barely got any ice time at all, and c) I noticed him when he was out there, and not in a bad way.

Old
12-31-2004, 12:09 AM
wasting time

well, he did seem pretty confused to me. he is one of those guys who I think is benefitting from the NHL lock out right now. He will have a lot of confidence when he enters camp and I think will kick a veteran (and his salary) on the street (see ya Tie - the lock out is all about guys like you).

Old
12-31-2004, 01:58 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
Ian White - too good to ingore for the NHL? Is this guy legitimate even with his size? I watched 3 games of his this year and he is not a defensive liability at all it seems. I do like his comparisons to Rafalksi. I think he is the real deal.
He's not a great prospect... he's no Brian Rafalski.

A realistic comparison is Marc Andre Bergeron of Edmonton.

Quote:
John Doherty - I have a feeling that this guy is an absolutely brutal 2nd round pick. He will never come close to getting a sniff.
He's possibly the most talented defenseman we have. It is a bit upsetting that we picked him, but time will tell where he'll end up. He's still got tremendous talent and was labeled as a project since day 1.

Quote:
Konstantin Volkov - Segei Berezin? 3 years away?
Our scouts compared him to Igor Larionov... where'd you get Sergei Berezin?

Quote:
Robbie Earl - He is an NHLer, bad rep and all. A Darby Hendrickson kind of player, maybe a Geoff Sanderson at best.
He's a hell of a lot more talented than Darby. If he continues developing at this pace, he'll be in the NHL by 2006 or 2007. Personally, I've seen clips of him, but from everything I hear I liken him to Mike Comrie.

Quote:
Wosniewski vs. Harrison - who will be a 5 or 6 D man at the NHL level for more than a cup of coffee?
Woz is a career AHL'er. Jay Harrison's got a lot more upside... though he's been a disappointment so far. I can't see him being anything more than a #5 defenseman.

Quote:
Tellqvist - Lucky to become Hedberg, far more likely to be Corey Hirsch.
His upside is Tommy Salo (prior to Salt Lake), his downside is Johan Hedberg. He's improved a lot and if he can stay healthy, he'll have a place in the NHL as atleast a #2 goaltender in a couple years.

Quote:
Kelly, Kronwall, D'Amour, Seikola or Marsh - who will play 100 NHL+ games? who will not?
Regan Kelly sucks.

Kronwall, Seikola, and Marsh are long shots to play in the NHL for an extended period of time. Dominic D'Amour is good, in a couple years he'll make a run at it... I see him as a good NHL defenseman, his size, skating, strength, and style of game will likely find him in the league somewhere if it's not with Toronto in 6 or 7 years.

Quote:
That was an AHL lineup... he'd obviously not look great vs. the Senators at age 20.

Quote:
Pierre Hedin - will we ever see him again? My guess is no.
I think so, he's still a good defenseman. I haven't lost faith in him.

Quote:
Roman Kukenberg - I give him a couple years at best in the NHL. Is he really a prospect or just a middling European player?
It's Kukumberg, and I think we'll see him in the lineup sooner rather than later. He's a regular with Team Slovakia and was an all-star in the Slovakian League last year at age 23. Potential isn't very high, but he's a good pickup in the draft.

Old
01-01-2005, 09:32 PM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Steen
Quote:
He's not a great prospect... he's no Brian Rafalski.

A realistic comparison is Marc Andre Bergeron of Edmonton.
Maybe, but he has stepped into the AHL right away and is among the best on the ice. I find that hard to ignore. Bergeron is not bad though, at all. I'd take it.

Quote:
He's possibly the most talented defenseman we have. It is a bit upsetting that we picked him, but time will tell where he'll end up. He's still got tremendous talent and was labeled as a project since day 1.
I have heard nothing positive about his results since he was drafted. I hear he is big and skates nice, but he is not seemingly delivering the mail it seems.

Quote:
Our scouts compared him to Igor Larionov... where'd you get Sergei Berezin?
Our scouts have yet to get me to drink the cool aid. If he was really Larianov, would he be around so late in the draft? He can't seem to crack the Super League right now when lots of others his age have. I picked Berezin because he is small, skilled and speedy and a middling draft pick.

Quote:
He's a hell of a lot more talented than Darby. If he continues developing at this pace, he'll be in the NHL by 2006 or 2007. Personally, I've seen clips of him, but from everything I hear I liken him to Mike Comrie.
Great!

Quote:
His upside is Tommy Salo (prior to Salt Lake), his downside is Johan Hedberg. He's improved a lot and if he can stay healthy, he'll have a place in the NHL as atleast a #2 goaltender in a couple years.
But he is 23 and is not nearly as good as Aubin???

Quote:
It's Kukumberg, and I think we'll see him in the lineup sooner rather than later. He's a regular with Team Slovakia and was an all-star in the Slovakian League last year at age 23. Potential isn't very high, but he's a good pickup in the draft.
My point exactly - a middling European player.

Closed Thread