HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ducks(W),Flames(L),Canes(W),Ducks!(L) | (2nd, 5th, 7th, 9th)

Old
01-05-2010, 11:46 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 7932
well that sucked.

that second period should have never happened. 3 shifts of standing flat footed in your own zone, a failed PP attempt, and down 2 goals in just a few shorts minutes.

Gripes Of The Night

1. Someone explain to me why Hornqvist isnt on the top line instead of Dumont

2. Someone explain to me what that 2nd PP unit was all about

3. SOmeone explain to me what Klein and Belak bring to the table

4. Someone explain to me why the guy in front of me has to lean forward all game and why the guy behind me cant shut up

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 01:11 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

vCash: 500
As for your 3rd complaint. I agree that they don't help us at all, if anything they end up hurting us. They shouldn't even be on the roster if it was my decision. And your right Horns, keeps it realz.
Posted via Mobile Device

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 03:16 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
But all that aside, seemed like the team was tentative tonight in the things they could control until that 2nd goal right at the buzzer at the end of the 2nd. A little too late to wake up at that point. They could have played thru the goal and the calls on a good night, I just did not see it in them tonight, or was that just me?
Not just you. In the post game comments Sully said something about having no motivation. Really Sully? How about getting them back for beating you 5-0 last time they were here? Or how about the winner being 2 points ahead of the other and trying to distance yourself from the other teams? The Wings lost again so that could have been 6-7 points ahead of them. This is the same crap they did against Chicago. That was a chance to tie or overtake the division lead but they came out flat with no emotion, same thing tonight. They came out for the third period with great energy and worked hard and forced Calgary to take penalties. Maybe if they play like that starting at 7pm instead of 9pm they win the game.

I really don't understand how the whistle wasn't blown for the Flames first goal. Watching the replay, esp. the overhead view, you can see Ellis have the puck under him, the ref comes in from the side with the whistle up by his mouth but then drops it back down. What happened to the "intent to blow" rule we always get?

Nice goal by Hornqvist. Kipper got too cocky with the poke-check. It worked earlier and he thought he could use it again and Hornqvist just roofed it.

Why is this team so afraid to shoot the puck? 'There's no one between me and the goalie? Oh I better pass the puck to a mass of 6 other players, where maybe only 1 or 2 are my teammates so the other team can take the puck and clear the zone.'

My favorite part of the night though was Shea Freaking Weber nailing Phaneuf along the boards!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 07:27 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
In Dumont's defense, he seemed like the only forward on that line that knew how to forecheck for most of the night. But I would readily swap Sullivan for Hornqvist on the top line.

I want our lines to look like this:

Hornqvist-Arnott-Dumont
Sullivan-Legwand-Ward
Jones-Goc-Santorelli
Thuresson-Spaling-Olvecky/Guite

And when we get healthy:

Dumont-Arnott-Erat
Hornqvist-Legwand-Sullivan
Jones-Goc-Tootoo
Thuresson-Smithson-Spaling

It's a very offensive-minded lineup, granted, but isn't that kind of why we have forwards in the first place?

Quote:
Turning the puck over and killing any momentum we might have generated from an awesome shift by the first unit?

Quote:
3. Someone explain to me what Klein and Belak bring to the table
Trotz is abusing Belak. With McGrattan out, he should have sat Belak, but he didn't have the foresight to think that McGrattan might not play, so we had no extra forward to swap out for him and, thus, were forced to play Belak.

Sulzer should have played over Klein, I agree.

Quote:
4. Someone explain to me why the guy in front of me has to lean forward all game and why the guy behind me cant shut up
Because they're excited about watching the greatest sport on Earth?

I thought Santorelli looked completely out of place regardless of what line he was put on, and needs to get sent back down ASAP. The whole "shut-down line" looked flat, and I thought Legwand had his worst game in a while. We made entirely too many drop passes (Sullivan, Legwand, and Dumont were particularly bad about it), and have a bad habit of giving the puck to Weber when he's marked but not when he's wide open at the point.

Tip of the hat to Jones, I was very impressed with his game last night. He didn't generate much offense, but he brought the physical play to what his historically a very physical team. Now we need at least eight other forwards and at two more defensemen to play like that.

On the flip side, Calgary was just about perfect defensively. They stifled us in the neutral zone, won all the small battles, and blocked all our best scoring chances. We barely ever challenged Kiprusoff, although we scored when we did. Speaking of which, what a fantastic goal by Hornqvist. He had virtually nothing to shoot at, at a bad angle, and he just floated it up high. He's now tied for the team lead in goals.

This was a game both teams needed to win, and Calgary came out ready for it. Fortunately, we have the worst team in hockey coming into the building on Thursday night, so we should be able to bounce back strong and stay ahead of the Red Wings. We'll need Vancouver to beat Phoenix and Detroit to beat LA, but we can get back to 6th with a win on Thursday.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:23 AM
RollingPredFan

I thought that first goal was crap, Ellis had it for like 5 minutes, if you let them hack and whack, yes eventually it will go in. They got away with several hits from behind too.

Having said that they didn't show up until the 3rd period that's why we lost. Sully is starting to tick me off, all he ever does is shy away from any contact, turn the puck over by trying some fancy move that never works.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 10:26 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Gripes Of The Night

3. SOmeone explain to me what Klein and Belak bring to the table

1. He was later in the game... The lines looked like this:

sully - Arnie - Horn
Spaling - Leggy - Ward
Jones - Goc - JP
Thur - Sant - Belak

2. No clue... I wondered that myself.

3. Klein is by far the best skater on the team. He did a good job against Jokinen all night, IMO. Belak, not sure other than to stand at the blueline when in the offensive zone like a dman. He does have a physical edge and is our fighter. But he doesn't seem to be playing his role well -- again, IMO.

4. You sure that wasn't me? LoL. Jk
Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
Why is this team so afraid to shoot the puck? 'There's no one between me and the goalie?

My favorite part of the night though was Shea Freaking Weber nailing Phaneuf along the boards!
Ugh, you are not kidding. We had AT LEAST three 3-on-1's where we did not got a shot off at all. Heck, once we had a 4 on 2 and all we got was a 40-50 MPH weak wrist shot from the top of the faceoff circle right into Kipper's chest, and that was it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
In Dumont's defense, he seemed like the only forward on that line that knew how to forecheck for most of the night. But I would readily swap Sullivan for Hornqvist on the top line.

Hornqvist-Arnott-Dumont
Sullivan-Legwand-Ward
Jones-Goc-Santorelli
Mine are similarly close. With Sully not being great defensively, I am hesitant to pencil him in on the 2nd line:

Horn - Arnie - JP
Spal - Leggy - Ward
Sully - Goc - Jones
Thurs - Sant - Belak

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:

Hornqvist-Arnott-Dumont
Sullivan-Legwand-Ward
Jones-Goc-Santorelli
I wouldn't put Sullivan on our shutdown line.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 10:55 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
I thought that first goal was crap, Ellis had it for like 5 minutes, if you let them hack and whack, yes eventually it will go in..
Ellis never had control of that puck. He thought he did, but it was still loose in the crease, and Moss batted it home.

Another thing I had a problem with last night: why are we suddenly using songs from the NHL10 soundtrack? This has been happening league wide, I know, but I've never heard us playing songs from the game before. Don't they realize how lame most of those songs are?

Old
01-06-2010, 01:31 PM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

Quote:
Another thing I had a problem with last night: why are we suddenly using songs from the NHL10 soundtrack? This has been happening league wide, I know, but I've never heard us playing songs from the game before. Don't they realize how lame most of those songs are?
Really?!? I replaced all of my music with one of those music packs from Operation Sports. Much better!!!

ffwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 01:31 PM
jstreet
Smashville

losing sight of the puck - intent to blow

I dont care how fast Klein skates. When a puck is in our net he is almost always a few steps away from it not covering the guy who swatted it in there.

My favorite part of the night was Hornqvist trying to return the favor by shoving Kipper's own skates out from underneath him. The goal wouldnt have counted but it would have been awesome to score on that play.

Of course instead of 5 guys standing in the crease trying to fish the puck out, the Flames mauled him for it.

Notable that Hornqvist is now tied for the goal scoring lead while seemingly playing half the minutes of our big guns. Cant say enough great things about that guy.

Old
01-06-2010, 01:36 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Eric Staal will miss the game tomorrow, away for "personal reasons."

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 02:57 PM
jstreet
Smashville

awesome news!

Old
01-06-2010, 03:42 PM
FoxMulder91*

Quote:
awesome news!
Yea, it sure is awesome when someone has to miss a game because of a death

FoxMulder91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 03:48 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulder91 View Post
Yea, it sure is awesome when someone has to miss a game because of a death
Oh, please. Not only did he not know(nor did I, as a matter of fact,) it's not like he's celebrating anyone's death. He said it's good news that Staal won't be in the lineup against us. Get over yourself.

Old
01-06-2010, 04:22 PM
belle

Dumont's thinking too much.

At one point in the third he is around the faceoff dot, puck on his stick, clear lane to the net and cannot figure out rather he should shoot or pass. Hope his mojo comes back - soon.

belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 04:33 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
I dont care how fast Klein skates. When a puck is in our net he is almost always a few steps away from it not covering the guy who swatted it in there.
Um, it has nothing to do with speed. He can cut, accelerate, shift his weight, spin, jump, deke, and is stronger on his skates than anyone else on the team at ANY of those categories.

He just happens to be extremely lazy

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 05:26 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I wouldn't put Sullivan on our shutdown line.
I just think it's a complete waste of Legwand's offensive ability to shoehorn him into a purely defensive role, when that might better suit a player like Goc, who has speed, is good in the face-off dot, and doesn't really have the skills to be a major offensive contributor on a consistent basis.

You can put together a line of Jones-Goc-Spaling/Smithson/Tootoo and have it be just as effective at containing the opposition while still chipping in the odd goal, and not sacrifice a lot of offense to make it happen. Putting Sullivan with Ward and Legwand adds a whole new dynamic to the line and gives us two legitimate offensive lines, instead of one scoring line and three lines that might contribute something every now and then, like the teams Bengt-Ake Gustafsson likes to put together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwrx View Post
Really?!? I replaced all of my music with one of those music packs from Operation Sports. Much better!!!
I used music of my own choosing. If my computer is going to actually work now, I can just stream music from my laptop to my 360 and have a whole library of music to work with, with stuff ranging from The Clash to Led Zeppelin to Queens of the Stone Age.

Old
01-06-2010, 05:39 PM
jstreet
Smashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Oh, please. Not only did he not know(nor did I, as a matter of fact,) it's not like he's celebrating anyone's death. He said it's good news that Staal won't be in the lineup against us. Get over yourself.
thanks for clearing that up.

Old
01-06-2010, 05:40 PM
jstreet
Smashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle View Post
Hope his mojo comes back - soon.
problem is that we've all been hoping that for about 25 games now.

Old
01-06-2010, 06:36 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Guite recalled for tomorrow's game

Hopefully that means Belak is meeting Dr Pine.

Old
01-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Webersmashpuck

Quote:

Ick, Guite was terrible his first time here and in the preseason. Belak doesnt really hurt us (he does absolutely zero to help us other than the occasional hit and fight) but Guite from what I remember had some of the worst positioning Ive seen.

Webersmashpuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Ick, Guite was terrible his first time here and in the preseason. Belak doesnt really hurt us (he does absolutely zero to help us other than the occasional hit and fight) but Guite from what I remember had some of the worst positioning Ive seen.
Guite was struggling with learning a new system earlier this season and because of that was caught thinking out on the ice, which in turn lead to slower decision-making and being subsequently caught out of position at times. His work ethic has never been questioned and recently he has been an impact player at both ends of the ice for the Ads.

Bottom line, I think he'll be far more productive now than he was earlier this season in a limited role...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 11:41 PM
thejlb*

Quote:
I just think it's a complete waste of Legwand's offensive ability to shoehorn him into a purely defensive role, when that might better suit a player like Goc, who has speed, is good in the face-off dot, and doesn't really have the skills to be a major offensive contributor on a consistent basis.

You can put together a line of Jones-Goc-Spaling/Smithson/Tootoo and have it be just as effective at containing the opposition while still chipping in the odd goal, and not sacrifice a lot of offense to make it happen. Putting Sullivan with Ward and Legwand adds a whole new dynamic to the line and gives us two legitimate offensive lines, instead of one scoring line and three lines that might contribute something every now and then, like the teams Bengt-Ake Gustafsson likes to put together.

I used music of my own choosing. If my computer is going to actually work now, I can just stream music from my laptop to my 360 and have a whole library of music to work with, with stuff ranging from The Clash to Led Zeppelin to Queens of the Stone Age.
You sir are my favorite person of the day so far. Legwand Has tremendous offensive ability. As well as Ward and throw in Sullivan for one heck of a line. I actually thought about Jones in place of smithson on the 2nd line, but Sullivan works just the same. I always wondered why we have an entire line that has just as much success as failures at times, but the line never gets broken up besides injury. Still shocked Erat was even allowed on the first line.

thejlb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejlb View Post
You sir are my favorite person of the day so far. Legwand Has tremendous offensive ability. As well as Ward and throw in Sullivan for one heck of a line. I actually thought about Jones in place of smithson on the 2nd line, but Sullivan works just the same. I always wondered why we have an entire line that has just as much success as failures at times, but the line never gets broken up besides injury. Still shocked Erat was even allowed on the first line.
Trotz promised Sullivan, Arnott, and Dumont over the summer (probably during Sully's contract negotiations) that the line would be together all season unless one of them is injured.

I've repeatedly mentioned my disdain for this type of promise, but thankfully since then we've seen the line broken up and spread out amongst the lineup with varying degrees of success.

The main reason the SAD line is not working right now is that they are a year older and their skills are not enough to win on sheer talent alone anymore. When playing together they look for the pretty play and routinely refuse to get their noses dirty to actually make a play. Dumping the puck into Sully's side on the rush is an instant turnover and Dumont isn't much better.

Adding a guy like Hornqvist to the line adds grit and opens up more room for his two linemates to work within while not sacrificing much in the scoring department. It is a necessary evil, although I was actually happy to see the line reunited for a little bit to see if we could get Dumont going again. Sadly, it wasn't working and was rightfully broken up Tuesday night. I expect that we will see Hornqvist up on the top line again to start Thursday night against Carolina.

Similarly, Legwand and Ward have developed a great chemistry this season and serve as two-thirds of a great shutdown line. Smithson has found success on this line by keeping his game simple and combining with his linemates to make the unit arguably one of the hardest working lines in the entire league. Thuresson has done a great job filling in so far in Smithson's absence, but I believe it'll be Smitter's job again when he returns from injury in the next couple weeks.

With Goc finally fulfilling some of the potential that made him a first-round pick and Jones and Hornqvist living up to expectations, we've actually developed a solid base of talent to work with this season. Add to that mix our true rookies Thuresson and Spaling making it difficult to send them back and lastly bringing back a healthy Tootoo to the lineup and the team really is going to have some tough decisions to make down the stretch.

My ideal lineup when fully healthy would be...

Sullivan - Arnott - Hornqvist
Smithson - Legwand - Ward
Erat - Goc - Dumont
Jones - Spaling - Tootoo
Belak - Thuresson/Guite (Guite will have to clear waivers to be sent back...)

Suter - Weber
Hamhuis - Franson/Sulzer
Bouillon - Klein

Rinne
Ellis

A mix of skill and grit on the top line, a two-way second line that will play against the opposition's best every night, a third line that can play responsible hockey and provide secondary scoring, and a fourth line that is full of young, hungry players that will bring a lot of grit and enthusiasm to the roster nightly. Belak can be inserted when necessary and either Thuresson or Guite or both will be sent back to Milwaukee instead of riding the pine.

Our defense features one of the top young pairings in the league to play 28+ minutes a night and two veteran-rookie duos that can play 15-18 minutes a night to keep everyone fresh and at their best. Hamhuis and Klein do not pair well together because Klein in particular doesn't communicate out on the ice. They have worked well when paired with others earlier this season and I'd like to see a return to those pairings sooner, rather than later as well.

It's not a sexy roster, but provides the team with enough talent mixed throughout the lineup on a nightly basis to find a way to win playing hockey the Predators way...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 04:20 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:

Even if that's all that comes of the recall, it's a good move. Guite is the kind of player I would expect to replace Belak.

The Hurricanes have also recalled Boychuk and Tlusty from Albany.