Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2009, 04:19 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

vCash: 500
Kovalchuk Contract

Assuming 10 year period is fixed what is the maximum amount per year would you pay Ilya.

Old
12-29-2009, 04:26 AM
FrenchKheldar

8M$ for 10 years. By the way, it will be interesting to see if Kovalchuk becomes the first UFA to be signed to a very long contract. All the previous monster contract (Yashin, DiPietro, Ovechkin, Crosby, etc...) have been with players already with their team, which makes sense. You want to know who you're in bed with before signing a contract !

Old
12-29-2009, 04:38 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

I don't have a problem giving him $10 million or whatever he is asking even if it does seem to be overpaying comparing to other stars of this league.

Every team as a few players that are overpaid by a million or two. I say I rather have one of those 'overpaid' players as the best player in the team rather than a goalie who can't get on the ice or top 6 winger or defenseman that isn't producing.

Also if it means that the team will have to get rid of the internal cap then it shows me that ownership are serious about playoff ambitions. The NHL has a salary cap to restrict team spending, I don't understand why Thrashers need to further restrict themselves compared to the other 29 teams in the league. I know that currently the Thrashers are making a loss due to poor attendance and season ticket sales but I am pretty sure the Atlanta Spirit Group is making a profit through it ownership of Philips Arena which more than offsets any loss the Thrashers are currently making.

Old
12-29-2009, 07:57 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

9.5 a season

Old
12-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchKheldar View Post
8M$ for 10 years. By the way, it will be interesting to see if Kovalchuk becomes the first UFA to be signed to a very long contract. All the previous monster contract (Yashin, DiPietro, Ovechkin, Crosby, etc...) have been with players already with their team, which makes sense. You want to know who you're in bed with before signing a contract !
Hossa signed a 12-year deal with the Blackhawks worth $62.8 million as a UFA.

Old
12-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Capa*

I can see Kovalchuk getting a 100million dollar contract.. 10 for 10...and i would have no problem with that. People on these boards seem to think we cant build a team with him making 10 or 11 per year, but look at Washington (or SJ...etc.) who is one of the best teams in the league with AO making 9 per and a ton of overpayed players. As long as we are smart but not necessarily too cheap either we will be fine. Overactions by so many of you

Old
12-29-2009, 09:37 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNulty View Post
Overactions by so many of you
Look out!! On the second post...calling us out!

There's a new sheriff in town!

Old
12-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Capa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Look out!! On the second post...calling us out!

There's a new sheriff in town!
lol, whatever kid. You've been here since 2009? Ive been visiting these boards since 2004...

Old
12-29-2009, 11:01 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
I can see Kovalchuk getting a 100million dollar contract.. 10 for 10...and i would have no problem with that. People on these boards seem to think we cant build a team with him making 10 or 11 per year, but look at Washington (or SJ...etc.) who is one of the best teams in the league with AO making 9 per and a ton of overpayed players. As long as we are smart but not necessarily too cheap either we will be fine. Overactions by so many of you
No, 10 or 11 million on one player is a big deal for us even if it isn't for SJ or WAS. Their models don't work for our team because ownership has to keep spending 8 million or so under the cap because our team isn't profitable. When your team's mandated cap is below the actual cap, all the sudden Ron Hainsey's extra 1.5 million or so onto what he's worth becomes magnified.

Quote:
lol, whatever kid. You've been here since 2009? Ive been visiting these boards since 2004...
Nobody calls out the McNulty. Nobody.

Old
12-29-2009, 11:04 AM
pfloyd75

I'd give him 10 per. I am hoping that he'll sign for less obviously.

A lot of folks say he's worth 8-9 million but that 10 is crazy. To me, there isn't really a huge difference between the two. I mean is 1-2 million a season on the payroll going to be the difference between a cup contender and a cash-strapped cellar dweller? Besides, with inflation and all 10 million might not be that bad of a deal for Kovalchuk in 5-6 years.

Old
12-29-2009, 11:22 AM
hockey momma

9mill

Old
12-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Capa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post

Nobody calls out the McNulty. Nobody.

Respect lol. Good Ol Jimmy.

Old
12-29-2009, 12:33 PM
localmouse13

I'd like to see $9 million at 10 years, but I think he'd have signed already if this were agreeable.

Hopefully, the organ-eye-zation won't sign him to the league max. I can't see how that wouldn't handcuff the team in the future.

Old
12-30-2009, 06:56 AM
FrenchKheldar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
Hossa signed a 12-year deal with the Blackhawks worth $62.8 million as a UFA.
Thanks for the reminder. I try my best to forget about Hoss' But Kovy is probably too young to have a 10-year, 80 M$ deal, we would have to look into something like 15-year, 120 M$ with about 10-year at 10M$ and decreasing salary then to get the cap impact down. But can the ownership afford to pay somebody 10M$ a year, no matter what the cap issues are? Not many proofs of this on the Thrashers or Hawks roster

Old
01-06-2010, 05:39 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchKheldar View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I try my best to forget about Hoss' But Kovy is probably too young to have a 10-year, 80 M$ deal, we would have to look into something like 15-year, 120 M$ with about 10-year at 10M$ and decreasing salary then to get the cap impact down. But can the ownership afford to pay somebody 10M$ a year, no matter what the cap issues are? Not many proofs of this on the Thrashers or Hawks roster
kovy is top 3 talent in the world....give him a blank cheque....

the cap is going down next year, so many teams will be very careful on term, only way hes gonna get into 6+ years is in a major market with no money issues (i.e. tor,mtl,nyr,bos,phi) 4 out of those teams lack cap room, and the other one, lacks anything worth while to trade for...

in my opinion, hes going to the salary capless KHL, for 15 million per season, salary paid by some Russian oligarch....

Old
01-06-2010, 05:58 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Still amazes me that we're talking about paying a guy $100 million to play a game when cops in my town only make around $40,000.

The deal is you can't just give Kovy a blank check. It hamstrings the franchise from building and retaining around him. Granted, I'm looking at the difference between 8 million and 10 million. That's one, maybe two players. Still, it's something to think about.

Old
01-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneel View Post
Still amazes me that we're talking about paying a guy $100 million to play a game when cops in my town only make around $40,000.

The deal is you can't just give Kovy a blank check. It hamstrings the franchise from building and retaining around him. Granted, I'm looking at the difference between 8 million and 10 million. That's one, maybe two players. Still, it's something to think about.
My wife's a teacher. Every time I tell her about one of these contracts she gets really upset. She usually has some line about the fact that she is teaching America's future and that Police and Fireman protect us and "enter overpaid athlete here" is getting paid what to hit/throw/shoot a puck/ball?

Old
01-06-2010, 06:13 PM
KevFist
is best pony

It also amazes me that we're talking about a $10 million being a big contract. That's miniscule in other sports.

Old
01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

According to the poll, $9 million seems to be Kovalchuk's worth among us Atlanta fan which seems to be 'only' $1million away from what kovalchuk was originally asking. If I was DW/ownership, I would bit my tongue and just sign him for $10 million.

Ilya on the other hand, and after witnessing a 9 game losing streak, 17 including last win in regulation may have a change in heart and that money may not matter anymore.

Old
01-06-2010, 07:29 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
Ilya on the other hand, and after witnessing a 9 game losing streak, 17 including last win in regulation may have a change in heart and that money may not matter anymore.
Considering Kovalchuk's shoddy play has played a part in quite a few of these losses, I don't think he has any room to talk.

Old
01-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
Considering Kovalchuk's shoddy play has played a part in quite a few of these losses, I don't think he has any room to talk.
Is his play really been that bad compared to his entire career? Kovy is still killing it offensively, he has just fallen back into bad habits defensively again which is disappointing but not a huge surprise for me given he was never that good to begin with.

Old
01-06-2010, 08:46 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Lol at being surprised that Kovy doesn't play defense. If that surprises you than i wonder what else surprises you.... I'll take 50 goals every year and walk away the clear cut winner.

Old
01-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

Hossa really screwed the Thrashers over the summer.Kovalchuk has played with him and knows he is better than Marion. This is what he'll want to base his contract off of.

Hossa got a ridiculous contract, so Kovalchuk has the potential to receive one of the biggest in the league.

Old
01-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Lux Aurumque*

I'd give him 8 million per year, and not a penny more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
01-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

9. any more and there just aren't enough ways to clear salary in order to keep our younger players

Closed Thread