HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

World Junior Championships Discussion 2009-10

Old
01-06-2010, 01:50 PM
CharlieGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
Gross. Get daddy to chase them with a shotgun until they change their minds.
LOL - Kambo, Daddy isn't the hockey fan of the family.

Another note about last night's game -- the 50/50 winner took home a measly $149,700 last night. There were a few days earlier in the tournament that topped $100,000, but last night's was well worth winning (not that $100K isn't). Not too shabby a way to start the new year, I'd say!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
LOL - Kambo, Daddy isn't the hockey fan of the family.

Another note about last night's game -- the 50/50 winner took home a measly $149,700 last night. There were a few days earlier in the tournament that topped $100,000, but last night's was well worth winning (not that $100K isn't). Not too shabby a way to start the new year, I'd say!
There was a time when I would joke about that being worth 85 bucks.... not anymore...

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
****ing nhl network. god amnit ****ing asdjfadlskjfas;djkf I want to mvoe to candadadlfkjadsl;kfja
i have it recorded from TSN & will record the 2 hour re-broadcast from NHLN tonite

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Superman33

Send a message via AIM to Superman33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I have only watched bits and pieces of SportsCenter this morning, but haven't seen anything about the WJC. Did anyone who watched the whole thing see anything about this? If they didn't say anything about this it would be a huge injustice not only to Team USA but to the sport of hockey itself.
I usually watch SportsCenter for a good 30 minutes every morning while making my lunch and eating breakfast. My post a couple pages back was pretty much dead on. I started around the 15 minute mark and they were just finishing up talking about the GT vs. Iowa game last night. They moved onto the "college football team" aka Kirk Herby and boys talking about the national championship game. Kirk mentioned they had been "stuck" at the stadium since a bowl game was played there last week. I feel like even he knows that this coverage is excessive.

They then moved onto the Gilbert Areanes(?) thing with the guns. After some B-ball they moved onto all coaching changes in the NFL. I usually turn it off at about 45 minutes in. During the entire time I watched the bottom line too, nothing was on there either.

Of course I talked about this injustice to my students today...some of which actually knew that this took place. Most likely because I talked all day about it yesterday. One student claims he saw them put a picture of the team on Sportcenter celebrating after the game. I am thinking it was one of those stupid "freeze frame" things they do with the voting on which one is the best. I didn't watch the top ten plays, but I would also hope the overtime goal was number one. It gives them an out about not talking about it as they mention it for the 10 seconds they show the clip. But knowing ESPN it was probably a dunk or the top 10 mike shanahan moments.

Superman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:28 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman33 View Post
I usually watch SportsCenter for a good 30 minutes every morning while making my lunch and eating breakfast. My post a couple pages back was pretty much dead on. I started around the 15 minute mark and they were just finishing up talking about the GT vs. Iowa game last night. They moved onto the "college football team" aka Kirk Herby and boys talking about the national championship game. Kirk mentioned they had been "stuck" at the stadium since a bowl game was played there last week. I feel like even he knows that this coverage is excessive.

They then moved onto the Gilbert Areanes(?) thing with the guns. After some B-ball they moved onto all coaching changes in the NFL. I usually turn it off at about 45 minutes in. During the entire time I watched the bottom line too, nothing was on there either.

Of course I talked about this injustice to my students today...some of which actually knew that this took place. Most likely because I talked all day about it yesterday. One student claims he saw them put a picture of the team on Sportcenter celebrating after the game. I am thinking it was one of those stupid "freeze frame" things they do with the voting on which one is the best. I didn't watch the top ten plays, but I would also hope the overtime goal was number one. It gives them an out about not talking about it as they mention it for the 10 seconds they show the clip. But knowing ESPN it was probably a dunk or the top 10 mike shanahan moments.
It's things like this that make the NHL less popular than other sports. If ESPN talked about it more, the idiots who all say hockey is stupid I don't get it, would change their minds because the Sports God's of ESPN talked about hockey, so they in turn, have to talk about hockey. Either way, congrats team USA! Can't wait til these guys get to the NHL!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:46 PM
CharlieGirl

A true sign of how Canada feels about this tournament.

Last night, at the Oilers game, they showed the game on the jumbotron, while the game was going on. The players were checking in on the game during timeouts, and when the crowd cheered for nothing that the Oilers had done, the players knew there was a goal by the juniors.

That must have been extremely odd for the teams on the ice!

Old
01-06-2010, 10:28 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

So glad we beat Canada.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 11:10 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

I was a-hootin' amd a-hollerin' after the GWG. Hockey is one of the few sports that I root for the US in because it's one of the few sports that the US isn't completely cocky about.

Last edited by ChumpyG: 01-07-2010 at 12:21 AM.
ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Don Cherry : 'Canada lost because too many juniors were in the NHL'

i KNEW he'd not give the US credit for winning, let alone showing 'American guts and will' like he said about Canada: 'Canadian guts and will won the game' New Years' Eve

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:13 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post

i KNEW he'd not give the US credit for winning, let alone showing 'American guts and will' like he said about Canada: 'Canadian guts and will won the game' New Years' Eve
You had to know he'd pull something out of his ass. He's an idiot. An entertaining idiot sometimes, but still an idiot.

The fact is that Canada was lucky to win on New Years Eve, and if not for Jordan Eberle's magic in the gold medal game, it wouldn't have been close. Canada's coaches didn't adjust their game to counteract the US speed and skill, goaltending was sketchy, and they didn't play as a team.

Would some of the NHL'ers have helped Team Canada? Of course. But you play with the cards you're dealt, and there was enough skill on Team Canada. Outside of a handful of players, they didn't play with heart. And they didn't play as a team. That's why they have silver and a very good US team earned gold.

Old
01-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post

Why does it matter to you what Don Cherry says? When you win something the whole world doesn't have to kiss your feet. Fact of life.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:33 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I dont think anyone gives a **** what Don Cherry says. Isn't he a bit of a joke everywhere by now?

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote