Notices

Goaltending.

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2009, 07:19 PM
PHYS251

vCash: 500
Goaltending.

1. I think Moose is our #1 guy, at least for now. Normally stats don't tell the whole story, but in this case it's pretty damn obvious:

(Goalie, W-L, GAA, Svg.)
Hedberg: 9-6, 2.43, .921
Pavelec: 9-11, 3.52, .903

Just look at that. That's more than a goal a game against Pavelec. And having a 9-6-something record would be a lot better than the record we have now. Just look at the standings: everybody in the East except for Carolina has a reasonable chance of making the playoffs. We keep dropping games like we have been this month, we're in trouble.

Starting him once a week or so, to give Hedberg the occasional rest, is fine. Starting him every other game isn't.

2. There's a chance that the Thrashers are gonna have to go through the whole breed-a-goaltender process all over again. Hedberg isn't getting any younger--he's 36--,Pavelec we already know about, and Lehtonen is a crapshoot. Anybody up-and-coming in case of a long-term worst-case-scenario?

Old
12-31-2009, 07:32 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHYS251 View Post
1. I think Moose is our #1 guy, at least for now. Normally stats don't tell the whole story, but in this case it's pretty damn obvious:

(Goalie, W-L, GAA, Svg.)

Just look at that. That's more than a goal a game against Pavelec. And having a 9-6-something record would be a lot better than the record we have now. Just look at the standings: everybody in the East except for Carolina has a reasonable chance of making the playoffs. We keep dropping games like we have been this month, we're in trouble.

Starting him once a week or so, to give Hedberg the occasional rest, is fine. Starting him every other game isn't.

2. There's a chance that the Thrashers are gonna have to go through the whole breed-a-goaltender process all over again. Hedberg isn't getting any younger--he's 36--,Pavelec we already know about, and Lehtonen is a crapshoot. Anybody up-and-coming in case of a long-term worst-case-scenario?
the goaltending cupboard has a few guys that might make ok backups but not really any starters. if pavelec doesn't work out our best case would be to trade for a strong prospect or younger goalie from a team with depth. i'd really like to see what happens if lehtonen ever comes back, he just might be worth keeping if this is his last injury, pavelec can still be a starter but i'm back to not having a whole lot of hope for him. i really just want to see if hedberg can hold it together for the rest of the season and then go from there

Old
01-06-2010, 05:59 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHYS251 View Post

(Goalie, W-L, GAA, Svg.)

If u dont think u have a goalie in Ondrej Pavelec, good luck finding one...I watched this kid for 2 years in cape breton....hes 22 years old and has shown tremendous upside....goalies often take time to develop...this guy will be in the top 5 in the league in a couple years, just wait and see...
you guys have that finnish kid too, who might be worth something on the trade market...
the impending kovalchuk trade could be the best thing to happen to your franchise....
ask the quebec/colorado franchise how much you can get in return for a superstar.....

Old
01-06-2010, 06:09 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Pavelec lol... He's awful.

But i came to the conclusion it does not matter who the goalie is. This system is a goalies worst nightmare. As much as i want Lehtonen back, it will not make a difference. The only difference is there is a better chance we steal games because of Lehtonen.

Old
01-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

I have lost some much confidence in Pavelec, that when exploring offers for Ilya Kovalchuk, I would seriously look at teams willing to deal young goaltenders as part of the package.

Boston: Rask - Very unlikely given Thomas age
Chicago: Niemi - Better chance than Rask but again unlikely.
Los Angeles: Bernier - Good chance given Quick is also young and their no.1 guy.

What are some of the other teams rumoured to be interested in Kovalchuk?

Old
01-06-2010, 06:33 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
Pavelec lol... He's awful.

But i came to the conclusion it does not matter who the goalie is. This system is a goalies worst nightmare. As much as i want Lehtonen back, it will not make a difference. The only difference is there is a better chance we steal games because of Lehtonen.
pavelec is a future elite goalie..worst thing for a young goalie is to play on a bad team....it kills their confidence....
pittsburgh woulda won the cup the year before if fleury wasn't rushed..

you have to be sooo careful with young goalies, because u can hinder their development if you shoot their confidence...
PAVELEC wil be a star...on atl or on another team...thats up to don waddell.....

Old
01-06-2010, 07:15 PM
StevenintheATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
pavelec is a future elite goalie..worst thing for a young goalie is to play on a bad team....it kills their confidence....

you have to be sooo careful with young goalies, because u can hinder their development if you shoot their confidence...
PAVELEC wil be a star...on atl or on another team...thats up to don waddell.....
This is why the Thrashers need to fire Steve Weeks and bring in someone else. I think that as long as he is the goalie coach, we're going to have spotty goaltending.

Old
01-06-2010, 08:26 PM
ArVeeDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post

People are just grasping at straws. They have to find some reason to explain our losing and blaming Pavelec is one of the most popular. You'd be the same way if your team has never had any success. We're desperate to see a winner. For all of his flaws Pavelec has shown that he can dominate a hockey game numerous times. In all honesty he gets hung out to dry by our terrible defense every night. No rookie goaltender should have to put up with the 40+ quality shots that he does. It's the same thing with Bryan Little. Guy is struggling to hit the net and half of the fanbase wants to get rid of him.

Old
01-06-2010, 08:38 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

LOLOL... you get in touch with me when Pavelec becomes a star in the NHL.... hilarious.

Pavelec is awful he had 1 good game and it was because a team made him look good by shooting directly into him lol.

Old
01-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Shameus

I was watching ESPNews this afternoon. They had Melrose, Barnaby, and Hradek all on talking NHL and the WJC. They mentioned Lehts specifically when talking about trades. Melrose and Hradek both talked about how disappointing Lehts was considering all of his hype around draft time and his early career. Said he would be lucky to get a contract bigger than his current one considering how injury prone he was. Barnaby stopped just short of calling him a terrible goalie and said no team would probably go to the playoffs with him. For what it's worth. They said stuff about Kovy too, but I'll post that in the contract thread.

Old
01-07-2010, 02:50 AM
ArVeeDee

Quote:
LOLOL... you get in touch with me when Pavelec becomes a star in the NHL.... hilarious.

Pavelec is awful he had 1 good game and it was because a team made him look good by shooting directly into him lol.
Please excuse our rookie goaltender for not carrying the worst defense in the league. As much as you cry about John Anderson's defensive system (or lack thereof) I figure you would realize that Pavelec is a very small problem in the grand scheme of things. In case you haven't noticed your boy Hedberg hasn't been very good recently... Or does he get a free pass because you like him? I guess the defense is only to blame when Moose is in net.

Last edited by ArVeeDee: 01-07-2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old
01-07-2010, 04:03 AM
sparxx87

Quote:

have you ever watched him play?
i watched him for 2 seasons in cape breton, im hard pressed to think of him having a bad night....very rare...
when he makes the save, then saves the rebound, and then again, and then on the 4th shot player scores, is that the goalies fault, or might you then ask wheres the d?
Lehtonen has talent, but hes injured with a gust of wind...
give pavelec some time to refine his game, and you wont be disappointed...i've seen what this kid can do...dominated the qmjhl which is where half the nhl goalies have come from(luongo, brodeur, roy, fleury)...if don waddell wanted to trade him tomorrow there wouldn't be a single team that wouldn't inquire...
teams that have exceptionally talented young players, dont trade them!!

Old
01-07-2010, 09:30 AM
DoomMF

1. Right now Hedberg is playing better. If we're trying to make the playoffs you ride Hedberg for a bit. 3 goals a game is better than the 4 or 5 that Pavelec ALWAYS gives up.

2. Pavelec is a great young prospect. Anyone dismissing a 22 year old for a bad stretch is crazy. At this point it's up in the air if he turns out to be something special, but so far we've seen him be very good, and now very bad. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

3. Lehtonen is the wildcard. In spite of what Barnaby says, Kari has always performed well on some pretty poor teams w/out much defense in front of him. He is not as consistent as you would like, but he is top-tier talent and has put together some strong, but injury riddled seasons. People go crazy about how great MAF is, but I've never seen anything in MAF that would make me think he's better than Kari. On a better team, yes, better overall - not sure.

Of course I would take MAF over Kari because of how injury prone Kari is, but Kari has played 45+ games a year for 3 straight years, so it's not quite as bad as people make it out to be.

4. When Lehtonen comes back his play will determine who survives the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of these three traded by the end of the year.

Quite frankly I think Kari is the best of the three, and I'm hoping when he comes back he can play at a high level. If he doesn't, I guess we deal him and ride the hot hand the rest of the year. Hopefully if that happens Hedberg and Pavelec decide to get hot at different times instead of playing well at the same time and then awful at the same time. (Of course the D has a lot to do with this as well).

Old
01-07-2010, 01:41 PM
CaptainKishimoto
=-{Astral Finish}-=

I just had a thought...since DiPietro has come back, the Islanders have 3 goalies. Should we try and trade to get Martin Biron (and send Pavelec down to the AHL)? It would be good for us in the long run (Pavelec needs more playing time, and getting pulled/shelled in the NHL doesn't help his development), and Biron has played well in the past (I don't really know what to think about this year, since he is playing with a rather weak Islanders defence).

Old
01-07-2010, 02:18 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKishimoto View Post
I just had a thought...since DiPietro has come back, the Islanders have 3 goalies. Should we try and trade to get Martin Biron (and send Pavelec down to the AHL)? It would be good for us in the long run (Pavelec needs more playing time, and getting pulled/shelled in the NHL doesn't help his development), and Biron has played well in the past (I don't really know what to think about this year, since he is playing with a rather weak Islanders defence).
Well if you think its possible that the weak islanders defense is what is causing him problems, I can't imagine how he'd do any better playing for us if that were the case. Ours isn't any better.

Old
01-07-2010, 02:25 PM
DoomMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKishimoto View Post
Biron has been a victim of a lack of goal support and sporadic play. Especially for a #1 that has to hurt quite a bit. No clue why, but the Isles light up the scoreboard for Rolo, and put nothing up for Biron.

That being said, he could help the team, but why roll the dice before Lehtonen returns? Let's say Pavs puts together a few good starts, and Hedberg is still playing well when Kari returns. Then if Kari looks decent, we have WAY too much goaltending.

At this point riding it out till Kari returns is the only option IMO.

Old
01-07-2010, 04:15 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Sparx - Lol. Have i ever watched Pavelec play? Is that a serious question? Please tell me you thought i was a fan from another team trolling here.

Arvee - I don't give anybody free passes. This is the first season i started to like Hedberg. You make it sound like i was a fan of him 2-3 years back. I am a Lehtonen fan because he is a great goalie that has injury problems. Lehtonen doesn't get free passes either but i won't hate on a player because he gets injured. Besides Lehtonen doesn't need free passes, he is a star. When healthy he is the guy. He will be healthy when he returns and this whole board that wants him gone will be his #1 fans.

I can't fully blame Pavelec because of Andersons horrible goalies worst nightmare system. But he has not really played any good games in my eyes. In my eyes he's played 2 or 3 solid games and thats it. The Montreal game was a fluke.

Old
01-07-2010, 05:59 PM
CaptainKishimoto
=-{Astral Finish}-=

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomMF View Post
Biron has been a victim of a lack of goal support and sporadic play. Especially for a #1 that has to hurt quite a bit. No clue why, but the Isles light up the scoreboard for Rolo, and put nothing up for Biron.

That being said, he could help the team, but why roll the dice before Lehtonen returns? Let's say Pavs puts together a few good starts, and Hedberg is still playing well when Kari returns. Then if Kari looks decent, we have WAY too much goaltending.

At this point riding it out till Kari returns is the only option IMO.
When is he expected to return anyhow?

Old
01-07-2010, 06:29 PM
DoomMF

I think 2 weeks is the latest optimistic estimation of a return (i read that the other day).

Closed Thread