HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mid-Season Grades

Old
01-06-2010, 03:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Because he's still playing well, just not meeting expectations. He's supposed to be an elite goaltender and isn't playing like one. I can go with B+ if that makes more sense. As I said, I just pulled the letters out of my ass.
You get an A- for not meeting expectations?

01-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Are you serious?

Is anyone aspiring to be one here? Are you?

One big ****ing critic.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 03:03 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
I wouldn't give neither Higgins or Redden a D.

Higgins plays an all-around solid game, but he's missing his scoring touch. I know it hurts the team not scoring, but I'd still give him a C+.

Close with Redden. I'd give him a C+. I know he doesn't score. I know he isn't quick. I know he doesn't live up to the contract. What I know is that he's not making a ton of mistakes from what I've been watching this year. Yeah, he's slow, but he doesn't jump to far up, if not at all, like he did last year because he probably realizes he's not quick enough to get back in time. So he doesn't get caught out of position as much. I think he's played decent, but nothing worth more than a C+
I like Higgins. I really do. But if you think of C as "Average" then he should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 goals right now. I agree hes done so much to help this team otherwise, but his job as a forward on the top two lines is to score some goals, or at least set them up. If hes at 10 goals right now the Rangers are 50 points or above, i really believe that. The effort is there no doubt- but you need the results to make a team win, same goes for Redden IMO.

C- then.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
I like Higgins. I really do. But if you think of C as "Average" then he should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 goals right now. I agree hes done so much to help this team otherwise, but his job as a forward on the top two lines is to score some goals, or at least set them up. If hes at 10 goals right now the Rangers are 50 points or above, i really believe that. The effort is there no doubt- but you need the results to make a team win, same goes for Redden IMO.

C- then.

I can agree with that.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 03:47 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
What are your expectations exactly?

To have a higher save percentage than .920%?

As far as Im concerned, thats the most important stat for a goalie, and anything around .920 is damn good.
I expect him to be one of the top 5 goaltenders in the league, he's not even top 10 right now. He's not in the top 10 in any goaltending stat except shots faced and saves. He has only 1 shutout this season. There's no way you can say that he's played elite hockey this season no matter who he has in front of him. We've seen way too many soft goals this season.

I know he faces more shots than most goalies, but that's the reality. Plus the fact that he had one of his annual slumps doesn't help.

Technically if I were to grade Lundqvist based on expectations, he deserves more like a B or B-. The only reason why I say B+ or A- is because he's been playing above average hockey, just not elite.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 01-06-2010 at 03:56 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Anyone who gives Hank a A proves a few points.

A) They can not judge hockey talent without having their hearts involved.

B) They prove they will never be a NHL GM or scout

The guy is a B- at best. He has played great at times but he has also been brutal and inconsistent more often then not.
He has some really bad nights (like the first period of that 0-6 shutout), but everyone has those.

How many times has he stopped 30+ shots and only let in 1 or 2 goals to win a game this season?

I'd like to see him get more rest, which I think is partly to blame for the times he is inconsistent.

He DOES let in some painfully soft goals, but hopefully that's something he'll improve on. At least his attitude is right -- He always talks about what HE can improve, not what his team needs to do (and boy are there a lot of things he could be saying about that). If anyone on the team has the right to ***** it's him, and he doesn't do that.

I've love to see him get rid of what seems to be a habit of letting a crap goal in during the first period before he really seems to settle down and get into the zone.

But overall, you can't complain about his performance. Him and gabby are the only reasons we win any games.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Gaborik - A+
Prospal - A-.
Cally - B-
Kotalik - F+
MDZ - B+
Dubinksy - B-
Anisimov - B-
Drury - F-
Staal - B+
Avery - C
Girardi - C
Rozsival - C-
Higgins - C-
Lisin - C-
Gilroy - C
Redden - D+
Boyle - D
Christensen - ??????????? Too early
P.A. - C- Not an NHL player...at least, not on this team.
Byers - D...he struggled.
Brashear - F-
Voros - C+
Sangs - ??????????????? Too early

Hank - B He's been better....a whole lot better.
Johnson - ????????????? Too early

Torts - A+ Love the guy, love his attitude, love the way he coaches, love everything about him. Benches Redden, demotes Drury...accountability is here, no matter what ppl say.

Sather - F+ If he stayed away from free agency, hed be one of the best GMs in the business.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Gaborik - A+
Prospal - A-.
Cally - B-
Kotalik - D
MDZ - B+
Dubinksy - B-
Anisimov - B-
Drury D
Staal - C+
Avery - C+
Girardi - C+
Rozsival - C-
Higgins - C-
Lisin - C-
Gilroy - C+
Redden - D+
Boyle - C
Christensen c-
P.A. - C-
Byers - C+HE HIT HE HAD A FEW FIGHTS WHAT MORE AT A MIN A GAME
Brashear - d-
Voros - C+
Sangs - INC

Hank - B-
Johnson INC

Torts - B-

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 05:28 PM
RyanBozak

Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
Gaborik - A+
Not much to say here, gentlemen.

Prospal - A-
One of the few people responsible for dishing the puck to Gaborik, his passing ability and ability to go to the net has placed Prospal as the second best ranked on the team.

Cally - B-
Has been everything that's expected of Cally aside from missing his scoring touch as of late.

Kotalik - C-
Oh boy, not going to get started here. Aside from the booming shot and missing breakaways, Kotalik has racked up stupid penalties, stupid giveaways, stupid penalties, stupid giveaways, stupid penalties, stupid giveaways.. and more stupid penalties. He needs to stop this crap.

MDZ - B
His role that he is asked to fill night in and night out is huge. As most know, his defensive game can be improved still. His break out passes are extraordinary. He needs to work on his shot, much like Gilroy. He also needs to learn how to read plays more often, there's been far too many times this season he's made typical rookie mistakes, but those are expected, he's a rookie. Fair assessment.

Dubinksy - B-
Was out for quite awhile, but regardless, leads the team in +/-, has shown awesome puck control. Ever since the beginning of him being switched to wing we've seen a different Dubi.

Anisimov - B-
Playing a huge role for a rookie, Ani has shown some great signs here and there of what we're all hoping he will become to be in the future. It's all a learning process from here on out.

Drury - C-
If Drury hadn't shown signs of life any time recently I would have forgot to put his name here. Seriously.

Staal - B+
Probably has been our best defensemen so far. Has shown more of an upside to his offensive game so far, is still hitting aggressively, but needs to still learn on pinching and improve his passing.

Avery - C
Ahh, not much to explain here. Snake bitten perhaps?

Girardi - C
Some nice physical work by Girardi so far this season. His ability to block shots is great. What's not is his vision, passing, skating. He needs to work on this once again.

Rozsival - C-
This really should be a D but whatever.

Higgins - C
Not much to explain here. If it's effort we're talking about, he gets an A. If it's what matters, it's that grade right up there.

Lisin - C
Once again, has shown flashes of skill, flashes of back checking, flashes of vision.. but he needs to put it all together and show a consistent effort night in and night out.

Gilroy - C+
Was originally heading towards a C, but the kid is a rookie. Lest not forget that. His defense could be better, passing could be better, but we really don't know what Torts is asking of him at the moment.

Redden - C-
What.. uh.. maybe 1/6th of the season played so far Redden has played decent? He's more solid than he was a few weeks ago.. which prevents me from giving him a D.

Boyle - C
Has shown brilliant plays sometimes, dumbfounded sometimes. He needs to use his body better.. but I'd say he might have an upside for our 4th line.

Christensen -
Too early

P.A. - C
Effort is there, nothing else is.

Byers - D
Meh

Brashear - D
Aside from fights, meh.

Voros - C
May be getting a bit better at fighting, which we don't need him to necessarily, but the effort is there and has been what I expected Voros to be.

Sangs -
Too early

Hank - B+
How many times has he bailed our ***** this season?

Johnson -
Too early

Torts - B
For having been with us for a half a season now, not including last year, a roster that he was "helping hand pick" and a "supposed" system that we're not playing, this grade could definitely be worse. His accountability, great assessment on overall problems, effort and coaching system bump him up. Overall though, he needs to learn how to coach come game time.

Sather - C
The Gaborik aquisition and Gomez deal explains why this isn't a D. Otherwise, like stated above, if Sather can avoid huge contracts and stupid crap during the FA, he'd be in the B range, possibly even A if he were to consistently keep his trading ways going.

RyanBozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 05:30 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:

The guy is a B- at best. He has played great at times but he has also been brutal and inconsistent more often then not.
He's the only reason we're not bottom feeders in the league. Give me a break.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 06:42 PM
darko

Gaborik: A+
Prospal: A-
Hank: A-
MDZ: A-
Staal: B+
Cally: B
Dubinsky: B
Anisimov: B-
Gilroy: B-
Girardi: C+
Redden: C
Avery: C-
Rozsival: C-
Higgins: C-
Lisin: D
Boyle: D
Voros: D-
Kotalik: D-
Drury: D-
Brashear: F

Didnt rank Christy, PAPs, Byers and Sangs

Torts: B+
Sather: D+

Something along these lines. Now flame away...

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 06:45 PM
RangerFan10

I think everyone's overrating Prospal a little too much. Before he got hurt he wasn't putting up many points, and when he's not on Gaborik's line he's been pretty average like everyone else.

Old
01-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
He's the only reason we're not bottom feeders in the league. Give me a break.
Oh God stop it man, The fact Gabby has 28 goals is the reason we are not dead last freaking Roloson has 15 wins on the Long island. My god do people over value Ranger players

Old
01-06-2010, 08:03 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Gaborik: A+
Prospal: A-
Hank: A-
MDZ: A-
Staal: B+
Cally: B
Dubinsky: B
Anisimov: B-
Gilroy: B-
Girardi: C+
Redden: C
Avery: C-
Rozsival: C-
Higgins: C-
Lisin: D
Boyle: D
Voros: D-
Kotalik: D-
Drury: D-
Brashear: F

Didnt rank Christy, PAPs, Byers and Sangs

Torts: B+
Sather: D+

Something along these lines. Now flame away...
Wish there was something worse than an F. How bout GF for GIGANTIC Fail.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:29 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Oh God stop it man, The fact Gabby has 28 goals is the reason we are not dead last freaking Roloson has 15 wins on the Long island. My god do people over value Ranger players
May I ask to see your grades?

So quick to criticize everyone elses... lets see yours.

Old
01-06-2010, 09:31 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Wish there was something worse than an F. How bout GF for GIGANTIC Fail.

That's a fair description of Brashear and his game this season.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:32 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I think everyone's overrating Prospal a little too much. Before he got hurt he wasn't putting up many points, and when he's not on Gaborik's line he's been pretty average like everyone else.
I think his contract and incoming expectations have a little bit to do with it. Plus we are talking about the first half on a whole. Ok maybe a B+... Either way hes played well and hes been a role model for the younger kids... he competes...

Old
01-06-2010, 09:34 PM
GuyWithStatsDegree*

Quote:

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not a Rangers fan and just came across this whilst browsing the boards. However, I do live in the NYC area and follow the local teams as well as my own, so I feel comfortable commenting on this.

There are two reasons the Rangers aren't pencilling Hall/Seguin into their lineup for next season: Marian Gaborik and Henrik Lundqvist. Your mindboggling refusal to acknowledge one of your best players speaks to your own inability to "judge hockey talent".

And asserting that no one here will become a GM or scout...are you a child? That is such a ridiculous statement to make when trying to argue a point (and an indefensible one at that). Man, those Hurricanes sure stink this year! When do you think Peter Karmanos will give you a ring about replacing Jim Rutherford? I mean, you've obviously proved your hockey acumen by steadfastly contending that Lundqvist (in so many words) is not very good. Only NHL GMs and scouts share that opinion, so your candidacy is assured.

Also, if Lundqvist has "been brutal and inconsistent more often th[a]n not" don't you think his numbers would reflect that? Over the course of a season, if you play poorly more often than you play well, the proof appears in your GAA (Lundqvist's is 2.41, not counting tonight) and your SVP (Lundqvist's is .920, also not counting tonight). Those would lead one to conclude that he's performed well with greater frequency than he has performed poorly (especially considering the Rangers as a whole are not very good). Simple, no? But, I suppose GM Dagoon sees beyond such trivialities.

Edit: Before I posted this, I checked out your info. It's a habit of mine, since I really don't think it's worth it to argue with teenagers. Succinctly put, if you've followed the game for three decades and hold the opinions that you do, then I think you've gone as far as you can realistically go. In hockey terms, it would be time to hang 'em up.

GuyWithStatsDegree* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Gaborik- A
Lundqvist B+
Prospal B
MDZ B
Staal B-
Callahan B-
Dubisnky B-
Anisimov C+
Rozsival C+
Girardi C+
Gilroy C
ReddenC
Drury C-
Lisin C- for effort
Boyle D+
Avery D+
Kotalik D
Brashear F
Valiquette F

others I dont care or incomplete

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 11:05 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Henrik Lundqvist is a top 10 goalie in this league, I really don't care if you don't like him.

I'm not sure what Hank's gotta do to earn more than a B+ from everyone but to see some people almost gave him a C makes me think there are more people that undervalue Lundqvist. Wouldn't surprise me if they're the same ones that think bringing Prucha and Dawes back is the answer to our woes.

Lundqvist has faced the 2nd most amount of shots of any goaltender in the league. Dwayne Roloson is 14th on that list. Henrik is 12th in GAA in the league, Roloson is 28th. Hank is 12th in SV%, Roloson is 20th. Hank's also played in 10 more games than Roloson. So irrelevant to bring that comparison in too...FYI.

Old
01-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
May I ask to see your grades?

So quick to criticize everyone elses... lets see yours.
they are posted right above u

Gaborik - A+
Prospal - A-.
Cally - B-
Kotalik - D
MDZ - B+
Dubinksy - B-
Anisimov - B-
Drury D
Staal - C+
Avery - C+
Girardi - C+
Rozsival - C-
Higgins - C-
Lisin - C-
Gilroy - C+
Redden - D+
Boyle - C
Christensen c-
P.A. - C-
Byers - C+HE HIT HE HAD A FEW FIGHTS WHAT MORE AT A MIN A GAME the kid showed heart
Brashear - d-
Voros - C+
Sangs - INC
Hank - B-
Johnson INC

Torts - B-

Old
01-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Gardner McKay
What a time

Quote:
Gaborik - A+
Prospal - A-.
Cally - B-
Kotalik - D
MDZ - B+
Dubinksy - B-
Anisimov - B-
Drury D
Staal - C+
Avery - C+
Girardi - C+
Rozsival - C-
Higgins - C-
Lisin - C-
Gilroy - C+
Redden - D+

Boyle - C
Christensen c-
P.A. - C-
Byers - C+HE HIT HE HAD A FEW FIGHTS WHAT MORE AT A MIN A GAME
Brashear - d-
Voros - C+
Sangs - INC

Hank - B-
Johnson INC

Torts - B-
And Im supposed to take this seriously because?

In front of him he has... two rookies on defense, one of which is like what a - 21, two incompetent veterans, and only two legitimate good defensive defenseman.

Look at the grades you gave them yourself... its so contradicting.

Do you take those things into account or just choose to ignore them? I cant help but laugh

Last edited by Gardner McKay: 01-06-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Gardner McKay
What a time

Looks like we will be able to better guage Johnson after tonight. Not that one game will make him or break him but get an idea at least.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 11:32 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

THN gives Gaborik the Hart in their mid season blog awards: http://www.thehockeynews.com/

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 11:35 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Gaborik - A+
Prospal - B+ (Is trailing off a bit, though)
Cally - B
Kotalik - D (Really? 3M a year? Really?)
MDZ - A- (What more could we ask of a young kid like this?)
Dubinksy - C
Anisimov - B (Will go up with more playing time)
Drury - D-
Staal - B (Has seen his game come around a lot lately)
Avery - C
Girardi - C+ (Getting a lot better)
Rozsival - C
Higgins - C
Lisin - D (Not a NHLer)
Gilroy - C (Average -- what I expected)
Redden - D (Where did this guy's game go? Looked great early on, sucks dick now)
Boyle - C (Better defensively than he's ever been in his career)
Christensen - D (Not a NHLer)
P.A. - D (Not a NHLer)
Byers - Incomplete
Brashear - F (Get the **** off the team)
Voros - C (Better year for him, but still Voros)
Sangs - Incomplete

Hank - B+ (Getting hot at the right time)
Johnson - Incomplete (Minor league grade: A)

Torts - B (Finally starting to take over...)

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote