HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Sens at the WJC

Old
01-06-2010, 10:29 AM
SpezDispenser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJong View Post
Horrible coaching by Desjardins. I noticed it at the start of the tourney and it only got worse as the tournament went on. Hopefully that moron won't be back next season....
God, +1.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 10:30 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Some thoughts from Petersson himself on his chokejob against the U.S.

"Really, I was Sweden's best WJC goal scorer in 17 years? Maybe it's a little bigger than a hattrick against Switzerland then. But meh...I don't really care about that."

"I had still had an okay tournament I think. Sadly I couldn't perform in the most important game. I'm ******* pissed about that."

"Why? I prepared myself wrong. I'll have to re-think my pregame preparations. I'm gonna have to try to relax instead of getting jacked up. At least I learned something. Next time I have an important game I'm just gonna relax and take it as it comes."

"I was already jacked up that morning. Everything during the day went wrong, the pre-game skate went bad and I was annoyed by a lot of things. Then it went as it did."

"It's a different type of hockey here. For me, it was a major change. Here, I got a very different role compared to back home. Back home I have to play two-way hockey or get benched after my first mistake. Here I can play a bit more freely and pretty much only play offense. It's the kind of hockey that I enjoy the most."

http://hockeysverige.se/news_show_pe...tml?id=9157588
Excited!

Old
01-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Some thoughts from Petersson himself on his chokejob against the U.S.

"Really, I was Sweden's best WJC goal scorer in 17 years? Maybe it's a little bigger than a hattrick against Switzerland then. But meh...I don't really care about that."

"I had still had an okay tournament I think. Sadly I couldn't perform in the most important game. I'm ******* pissed about that."

"Why? I prepared myself wrong. I'll have to re-think my pregame preparations. I'm gonna have to try to relax instead of getting jacked up. At least I learned something. Next time I have an important game I'm just gonna relax and take it as it comes."

"I was already jacked up that morning. Everything during the day went wrong, the pre-game skate went bad and I was annoyed by a lot of things. Then it went as it did."

"It's a different type of hockey here. For me, it was a major change. Here, I got a very different role compared to back home. Back home I have to play two-way hockey or get benched after my first mistake. Here I can play a bit more freely and pretty much only play offense. It's the kind of hockey that I enjoy the most."

http://hockeysverige.se/news_show_pe...tml?id=9157588
Thanks for this.

I like the intensity, but a) was wondering if there are attitude issues with his distancing himself from the rest of the team, and b) if he thinks he won't be held defensively responsible in North America, he's going to be in for a major disappointment. Sounds to me like he needs to grow up a bit and recognize that he has to play hard in all three zones.

Sick skills, though. If he can get his head on straight he should be a gamer for you.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Minister of Offence

He may be the most skilled guy everytime hes on the ice, especially at the under20 level, so no doubt hes gonna like to play that kinda hockey. He plays pro hockey in Sweden and gets benched when he makes defensive lapses, although he may not like it, I dont doubt he knows if he wants to be in the show thats where hes gotta figure it out. His swedish team has made it his job to play more defensively, good on them.

Wait on this guy a couple more years before you bring him over, unless he agrees to Bingo where he can be watched closely. The shot and hands are NHL calibre and will only get better.

Put on some weight, add some speed, improve defensive responsibility. If he does that I dont see a reason why he wont be a top 6 forward who can put up 70 puts like Murray thinks/hopes.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksens View Post
50-point pace, 6'5, 220lbs, captains of their WHL club usually get consideration for team Canada.

What he has done this year solidified his position on the team, despite concerns that his knee recovery has somewhat stalled.
I could really care less how big x player is, how about we evaluate if he can skate at all first.

Being 6'5 220 doesn't mean anything if you can't catch someone first.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 06:38 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez View Post
I could really care less how big x player is, how about we evaluate if he can skate at all first.

Being 6'5 220 doesn't mean anything if you can't catch someone first.
Ask anyone who watched Spokane at all and they'll tell you if he can skate.

Old
01-06-2010, 06:42 PM
TheWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I don't know. Cowen wasn't very impressive when he actually got out there, IMO.

Scandella played great. Not sure what you were watching. He was by far their best defenseman this game.
Somehow the guy Cowen is reminding me of is Cam Barker.

Barker was a very high draft pick, big guy, supposedly good skater with good offensive tools. I was expecting big things from him in his first WJC (2004, I think), and was more than a little disappointed... his skating seemed below average at that level, and his offensive tools didn't impress either. Unfortunately, he didn't play much the following year... injury, or mono or something took him out of the tourney very early on.

He's turned into an okay NHL player, but certainly not a dominant defenceman by any stretch of the imagination.

Hopefully Cowen will be better.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Ask anyone who watched Spokane at all and they'll tell you if he can skate.
I'm sure he can skate, but it's also plainly obvious he does not have world class speed or mobility right now. I mean he was looking like Aki Berg out there.

What would you rate his skating at right now vs. what he's shown in the past? Was his skating at 100%, 90%, 70%, less?

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 10:43 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeb View Post
Somehow the guy Cowen is reminding me of is Cam Barker.

Barker was a very high draft pick, big guy, supposedly good skater with good offensive tools. I was expecting big things from him in his first WJC (2004, I think), and was more than a little disappointed... his skating seemed below average at that level, and his offensive tools didn't impress either. Unfortunately, he didn't play much the following year... injury, or mono or something took him out of the tourney very early on.

He's turned into an okay NHL player, but certainly not a dominant defenceman by any stretch of the imagination.

Hopefully Cowen will be better.
Wasn't Barker drafted in 2005? He's still insanely young and has had a pretty good career thus far. I wouldn't call him a disappointment at all at this point. Defensemen take a long time to develop and reach their potential. Just look a Chris Phillips. Cases like Bogosian or Doughty are the extreme minority. Expect the same out of Cowen. He'll take a long time to become a great player at this level, especially considering he's already a year behind in his development.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:29 AM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Wasn't Barker drafted in 2005? He's still insanely young and has had a pretty good career thus far. I wouldn't call him a disappointment at all at this point. Defensemen take a long time to develop and reach their potential. Just look a Chris Phillips. Cases like Bogosian or Doughty are the extreme minority. Expect the same out of Cowen. He'll take a long time to become a great player at this level, especially considering he's already a year behind in his development.
If Cowen is at the same point Barker (now) is 4 years from now it will be a dissapointment. Not a terrible tragedy but a dissapointment. Especially if MPS ends up being good.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:49 AM
source

Quote:
He was drafted in '03, and 3rd overall if I remember correctly.

Cowen's stock has definitely fallen a LOT since the WJCs - he didn't really show any bright spots either. Am I disappointed with the pick? Hell yeah, but like you, I'm willing to be patient.

If the knee was so bad, he wouldn't be playing as well as he is at Spokane - the dude just isn't ready for top-flight competition right now. He should spend this season and the next in junior, and then hopefully he will be able to handle a 2nd or 3rd pairing role in the AHL.

At least now we won't see posters penciling Cowen into next seasons NHL roster. Get rid of Picard, Campoli, and Lee!!!!

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:51 AM
shibster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
If Cowen is at the same point Barker (now) is 4 years from now it will be a dissapointment. Not a terrible tragedy but a dissapointment. Especially if MPS ends up being good.
Not necissarily. Ottawa isn't exactly lacking in defense prospects right now, or pro defensemen in general, for that matter. Fact of the matter is that we have Karlsson, Wiercioch, Lee and Picard as very young defencemen in our system. Hopefully at least one of these 4 start to make serious strides, and improve the team. Campoli hasn't seemed like a great acquisition so far, but players do improve.

Just look at the way that we regard Volchenkov. Four years ago, I wouldn't have predicted that he'd be a more effective player than Wade Redden, but it still worked out that way. Imagine if one of our offensive defensemen break out in a similar manner; we'd have a team looking to do damage in the playoffs.

shibster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 09:13 AM
TheWeb

Quote:
As a minor clarification, I meant that I was disappointed in what I saw in Barker's first WJC, not that his career up til this point is a disappointment.

W.r.t. Cowen, would a Barker like development path for him be a disappointment? I think up til this WJC, many Sens fans on this board had very high expectations... that Cowen would be a mini-Chara within a couple of years. So, yeah, for Cowen to be a Barker v2.0 would be a pretty big disappointment to those fans.

Personally, I see two recent opportunities to draft in the top 10, and find it quite possible that we've missed out on getting an impact forward in both (Lee and Cowen vs. Kopitar and MPS). For me, that is disappointing.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote