HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PK Units and Enver Lisin

Old
01-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
PK Units and Enver Lisin

So the last Enver Lisin thread is too far back for me to find, and I had a thought the other day that I felt would be interesting.

Most of us know what Lisin brings to the table now. A lot of speed, effort, but little scoring touch and no playmaking ability.

My idea is, simply enough, attempt to teach Lisin the penalty kill. Enver has only 1 minute of PK time all season. A guy with his speed could have a better chance of creating breakaways, and eventually have a "Gaborik effect" on the kill where defenders play cautious in fear of getting burned. In addition to this, his good forechecking over the past couple of games made me consider how he might be on the PK as far as positioning in his own zone.

My goal is, to make Lisin into a faster, albeit less rugged Ryan Callahan on the penalty kill.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

So basically make him into the player we traded him for?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:23 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

Good show ol' chap!

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:25 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

that's what it sounds like to me as well.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Korpikoski wasn't a SHG machine, like I think Lisin could be.

Old
01-07-2010, 12:31 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Oh God no.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Maybe.

Yet, Phoenix uses LK on shootouts. Shorthanded chances are often off the rush. Just thinkin out loud here.

Old
John Torturella

Quote:
I think they need to teach Lisin to hit the net before thats possible.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:34 PM
SkerZ
LGR

What your saying makes sence in theory..I would be ok with seeing him on the pk for a game see if he can create anything...Only thing that scares me is the "he doesn't play well on defense" statements everyone talks about and this could cause a goal

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Synergy27

I have a better idea. Why don't we leave the PK units, which are currently buzzing along at at 86% pace good for 4th best in the NHL, the hell alone. It's not worth jeopardizing the one aspect of the game that this team has consistently excelled in to perhaps further the development of a marginal player.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I have a better idea. Why don't we leave the PK units, which are currently buzzing along at at 86% pace good for 4th best in the NHL, the hell alone. It's not worth jeopardizing the one aspect of the game that this team has consistently excelled in to perhaps further the development of a marginal player.
By your logic, if we had a decent PK early on, we should continue running 4 dmen on the pk and never teach MDZ or Gilroy that facet of the game. Not a good long term strategy at all.

Old
01-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
So the last Enver Lisin thread is too far back for me to find, and I had a thought the other day that I felt would be interesting.

Most of us know what Lisin brings to the table now. A lot of speed, effort, but little scoring touch and no playmaking ability.

My idea is, simply enough, attempt to teach Lisin the penalty kill. Enver has only 1 minute of PK time all season. A guy with his speed could have a better chance of creating breakaways, and eventually have a "Gaborik effect" on the kill where defenders play cautious in fear of getting burned. In addition to this, his good forechecking over the past couple of games made me consider how he might be on the PK as far as positioning in his own zone.

My goal is, to make Lisin into a faster, albeit less rugged Ryan Callahan on the penalty kill.
Ill be nice and just say that Enver Lisin is far too dumb a hockey player to play the PK

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:58 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Nope. Not interested. PK is awesome.

Only experiment I would try with Lisin is giving him better ice time. Now that he's playing harder than he was earlier in the year, I'd like to see how he does with better linemates. Kotalik to the 4th line, play Lisin with AA.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Why? We have plenty of quality penalty killers already and he's certainly not going to replace Gaborik, Higgins, or Callahan as a winger on the PK, so that leaves him as the 4th option at best.

He's finally starting to show some signs of life in terms of forechecking and confidence with the puck; why introduce an entirely different skill set when he hasn't mastered the one that we need him to master? Who cares about shorties when we can barely score on the PP or at even strength?

Lisin needs to be groomed into a secondary scorer. If that's not a possibility, cut your losses and move on. Trying to turn him into Freddy Sjostrom part II is a waste of time.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Lisin needs powerplay time not pk time.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreification View Post
Lisin needs powerplay time not pk time.
Lisin "needs" to become a better hockey player before hes given any sort of additional responsibilities, period.

Hes a fast skater, no doubt. Hes even made some good plays using his speed, which are ALWAYS followed up by a terrible play, or two, or three.

I think he'd be particularly brutal in the offensive zone powerplay setup where playmaking abilities are far more important than speed.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 01:21 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Rangers have one of the best PK units in the NHL, i dont know why you would want to put one of the worst defensive forwards in the league on it.

We already have the closest thing to a "SHG machine" - his name is Marian Gaborik. He keeps the other teams honest and hes one of the best goal scorers in the league and hes no where near close to a "machine".

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 01:24 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:

you mean this guy ?

35 2 4 -6 0 0 0 0 1 4 24 8.33 45

no thanks

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 01:26 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
So, this is the project you are interested in? Making Lisin a productive player is the primary goal for the Rangers. And yet Sean Avery is a worthless clown who brings nothing to the table and they need to get rid off ASAP for the good of the franchise... credibility is not a valued commodity on HFBoards.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 01:31 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Rangers have one of the best PK units in the NHL, i dont know why you would want to put one of the worst defensive forwards in the league on it.

We already have the closest thing to a "SHG machine" - his name is Marian Gaborik. He keeps the other teams honest and hes one of the best goal scorers in the league and hes no where near close to a "machine".
that statement is flat out not true. please prove this.

i think there is an overall positive in having more contributers rather than fewer. gaborik killing penalties does nothing but make him more tired. we are a team full of penalty killers, no need for gaby playing pk.

guys get tired. playing lisin 5 minutes is stupid. period. hes every bit as capable as higgins or kotalik.

i would do what another here stated. lisin needs to be on the pp not the pk.

offensive talent doesnt belong killing penalties. he needs to use his speed going forward not backing up.

torts isnt using him properly. its on him. hes the boss and hes making a mistake.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
you mean this guy ?

35 2 4 -6 0 0 0 0 1 4 24 8.33 45

no thanks
I hate to break it to ya, but Lisin's stats are not a whole lot different. Especially when you consider who he played with that 1st month of the season where he got the bulk of his points. But yeah, foot problem, i know......

The fact you use one player playing with an entirely different team under a different system as proof just makes you look like a Hockey novice.

Old
01-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
that statement is flat out not true. please prove this.

i think there is an overall positive in having more contributers rather than fewer. gaborik killing penalties does nothing but make him more tired. we are a team full of penalty killers, no need for gaby playing pk.

guys get tired. playing lisin 5 minutes is stupid. period. hes every bit as capable as higgins or kotalik.

i would do what another here stated. lisin needs to be on the pp not the pk.

offensive talent doesnt belong killing penalties. he needs to use his speed going forward not backing up.

torts isnt using him properly. its on him. hes the boss and hes making a mistake.
Completely disagree. Keeping the puck out of your net on the PK is not all about sacrificing the body and mucking the corners. It's about putting pressure on your opponent all over the ice and forcing them to make quick decisions/plays with the puck and hopefully causing them to make mistakes. Now, given Gaborik's history of fragility, I can understand why you'd want him on the bench during the PK. But to minimize his (and other similar player's) contribution to it is flat out wrong.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 02:06 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Why? We have plenty of quality penalty killers already and he's certainly not going to replace Gaborik, Higgins, or Callahan as a winger on the PK, so that leaves him as the 4th option at best.

He's finally starting to show some signs of life in terms of forechecking and confidence with the puck; why introduce an entirely different skill set when he hasn't mastered the one that we need him to master? Who cares about shorties when we can barely score on the PP or at even strength?

Lisin needs to be groomed into a secondary scorer. If that's not a possibility, cut your losses and move on. Trying to turn him into Freddy Sjostrom part II is a waste of time.
Lisin = Loser. Get rid of him, he's not going to amount to much in this league. He's worse than Prucha.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
So, this is the project you are interested in? Making Lisin a productive player is the primary goal for the Rangers. And yet Sean Avery is a worthless clown who brings nothing to the table and they need to get rid off ASAP for the good of the franchise... credibility is not a valued commodity on HFBoards.
OT; of course you're right. A player that no other team in the league would take because he is an embarrassment to the league, is more valuable to the club then one of the league's fastest skaters. Because he just put up his one good game of the season.

I think the credibility of the folks who chant "Avery, Avery" when he runs over a goalie and then boo a player for getting jabbed in the neck, or when Rozsival gets a point,(i.e. a large number of fans) is a lot more shot than mine.

Old
01-07-2010, 02:50 PM
chosen

Quote:
How come no one seems to understand how to use this great offensive talent?

Keep fighting the good fight.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote