HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Supposed Lee drama and trade rumor

Old
01-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Alfredsson11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmBollocks View Post
I don't believe any of this talk of Lee having an attitude but I could definitely see him being traded fairly soon. With Karlsson and Cowen coming through plus Weircoch etc, I don't see too much room for him in the future.

Not to mention whenever I see Lee all I can think of is Kopitar and what could have been.
you could play this game with every pick, besides Elliott, wasn't he picked last in his year.

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

Kopitars been one of my favorite players since the year he was drafted. Not so much a team thing for me just that it would be awesome to have him in a Sens uni.

Tyskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Comely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson11 View Post
you could play this game with every pick, besides Elliott, wasn't he picked last in his year.
Second last tied for an NHL record for latest draft pick to ever play and until they change formats he can never be beat because they don't do that many rounds any more

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:49 AM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelnats Puc View Post
Unfortunately, too many bloggers today consider themselves journalists.
the other way around is a problem as well...

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:54 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
You can, but usually its a case of hindsight. With Lee it isnt. EVERYONE thought it was a crazy pick at the time. Analysts and fans alike.

SilverSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:55 AM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

Kevin Lee is a ******, somehow worse than eklund

West Coast Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 09:29 AM
DDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
So stupid. Tims worked very hard at making Bingo respectable
When even Fuhr calls out a guy as having an anti-Murray agenda, you know it's bad!

DDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 09:32 AM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDT View Post
When even Fuhr calls out a guy as having an anti-Murray agenda, you know it's bad!
From his previous posts Fuhr seems to like Tim, for his work with prospects/drafting/bingo, and not so much Bryan, for his work in Ottawa

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Karl Cowensson
Two Headed Monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
You can, but usually its a case of hindsight. With Lee it isnt. EVERYONE thought it was a crazy pick at the time. Analysts and fans alike.
Everyone did, and rightfully so. But still, Lee was projected to go late in the 1st. It just showed how inflexible the Muckler regime was. He's going to be a solid top 4 IMO, just not the elite talent we could have picked up otherwise. We also have a solid group of D men who are projected to be top 4 or better so he'll probably find himself as the odd man out. Personally I'd lose Picard as Karlsson will replace him on the PP. Lee is a solid all around D who can be effective in all situations which is something none of our other D prospects seem to show, maybe Wiercoch, but I haven't seen his game outside of his point totals.

I still don't get why Fufr is so hard on Brian but is a fan of Tim. Brian has a big hand in Bingo as well, even if Tim is the one micromanaging. Still nice to see him recognize the Murrays' drafting.

Karl Cowensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Cat Herder
Formerly BigSensFan

vCash: 50
Lee I still think has potential. The problem is, there is a log jam at D. Especially after Murray took over.

Murray brought in Kuba, Campoli, Carkner and Picard and drafted Karlsson, Cowen and Weircoch (maybe others?).

Add to the list Phillips and Volchenkov and the space for Lee is slim.

Picard and Campoli are RFA after this season and Volchenkov is UFA.

2 of those will be gone IMO to make room for younger guys, but that does not do much to alleviate the Jam

Defence 2010/11

Phillips /Volchenkov(?)
Kuba / Karlsson
Carkner / Cowen (maybe)

The only chance Lee has to break into a top 6 would be for both Picard and Campoli to leave AND for him to start playing a more physical role, but who does he bump?

Cat Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:04 AM
wjhl2009fan

There are some good blogs very few but there are some.Then you have some blogs that are so bad and have zero truth to them and some people beleave what there saying.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Karl Cowensson
Two Headed Monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSensFan View Post
Lee I still think has potential. The problem is, there is a log jam at D. Especially after Murray took over.

Murray brought in Kuba, Campoli, Carkner and Picard and drafted Karlsson, Cowen and Weircoch (maybe others?).

Add to the list Phillips and Volchenkov and the space for Lee is slim.

Picard and Campoli are RFA after this season and Volchenkov is UFA.

2 of those will be gone IMO to make room for younger guys, but that does not do much to alleviate the Jam

Defence 2010/11

Phillips /Volchenkov(?)
Kuba / Karlsson
Carkner / Cowen (maybe)

The only chance Lee has to break into a top 6 would be for both Picard and Campoli to leave AND for him to start playing a more physical role, but who does he bump?
I do think Cowen has a legitimate chance of making the team, but I think his presence makes Carkner slightly redundant on the back end. I'd give Lee or Picard/Campoli Carkner's spot and use Carkner as the 7th D or a forward. Also Karlsson's offensive game needs to take a big step up before we lose both Picard and Campoli, he'd be the only offensive thread on the blueline, and we'd be back to having the equivalent of the post SCF D that can't move the puck.

Ideally I'd have 2 shutdown D (Phillips/Volchie/Cowen) 2 offensive D (Karlsson/Picard/Campoli/Wiercoch) and 2 all around 2 (Kuba/Lee) and a spare in Carkner as the 7th.

Old
01-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Cat Herder
Formerly BigSensFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Cowensson View Post
I do think Cowen has a legitimate chance of making the team, but I think his presence makes Carkner slightly redundant on the back end. I'd give Lee or Picard/Campoli Carkner's spot and use Carkner as the 7th D or a forward. Also Karlsson's offensive game needs to take a big step up before we lose both Picard and Campoli, he'd be the only offensive thread on the blueline, and we'd be back to having the equivalent of the post SCF D that can't move the puck.

Ideally I'd have 2 shutdown D (Phillips/Volchie/Cowen) 2 offensive D (Karlsson/Picard/Campoli/Wiercoch) and 2 all around 2 (Kuba/Lee) and a spare in Carkner as the 7th.
I really doubt that Weircoch makes this team next year. He will either play in Bingo or back in University (he is still eligible isn't he?)

There is a huge difference between College and NHL level. Especially with the amount of games played. He will need some time in the AHL I think

Old
01-07-2010, 10:57 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
is he a journalist? Or just a blogger
well, I heard that his mom came home unexpectedly and caught him with his laptop open blogging his podcast.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 11:02 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
I still vividly remember the let-down/bewilderment on hearing his name picked. I was just thinking "wha, what did, who, what, who did they pick with their 1st?!!WTF?!!"

I had much the same reaction on hearing Jim O'Brien picked as our 2007 1st rounder as well.

Old
01-07-2010, 11:06 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
I do think Cowen has a legitimate chance of making the team, but I think his presence makes Carkner slightly redundant on the back end.
There is no way that Cowen replaces what Carkner brings. Two totally different players.

And Cowen should be playing AHL next year to develop.

Old
01-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Comely

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
There is no way that Cowen replaces what Carkner brings. Two totally different players.

He cant play in the AHL next year because he was drafted from the CHL. It is CHL or NHL next year which sucks because he should be in the AHL.

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Cat Herder
Formerly BigSensFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comely View Post
He cant play in the AHL next year because he was drafted from the CHL. It is CHL or NHL next year which sucks because he should be in the AHL.
I thought that rule only applied it the person was 18 or under. Cowen turns 19 this month.

I could be mistaken about the rule though

EDIT:

Found this (http://thrashersprospectsannex.blogs...ave-to-be.html)

Specifically, the rule says that players have to be 20 years old by Dec. 31 to play in the minors if they played in junior before they were drafted by the NHL OR have completed four seasons of junior eligibility. That second condition rarely comes into effect. It would only apply to players who began in the CHL at age 15.

Cowen is in his 3rd full year and will only be 19 on Dec 31. He did play 6 games in 2006/7, but I am not sure if that counts as a season

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=98865

Old
01-07-2010, 11:30 AM
DDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
From his previous posts Fuhr seems to like Tim, for his work with prospects/drafting/bingo, and not so much Bryan, for his work in Ottawa
Hence the . I was trying to make a point about Kevin Lee moreso than Fuhr.

DDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Karl Cowensson
Two Headed Monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post

Carkner's intangibles are just as effective as a forward. Cowen will be physical and better defensively. He isn't AHL eligible, which is agree should be his next step, but wouldn't be out of place on the bottom pairing.

As for Wiercoch, he obviously won't be ready next year, or ever possibly. That's why I think it was shortsighted of posters wanting to trade away Picard and Campoli, we still need one of them at least.

Old
01-07-2010, 02:10 PM
BCVMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
So stupid. Tims worked very hard at making Bingo respectable
And he has failed, yet again.

BCVMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 02:12 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Everyone did, and rightfully so. But still, Lee was projected to go late in the 1st.
Just to clarify. Lee was a riser in the second half of that year leading up to the draft, and was projected to go somewhere between 10-15. Bob McKenzie's rankings, which we all know are pretty accurate every year, had him at 14, so it wasn't a huge reach like people seem to think it was. I just don't think people knew who Lee was at the time.

I think every Sens fan is pretty much expected Lee to be dealt. I'd be pretty surprised if he wasn't, that's for sure.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 02:20 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCVMA View Post
And he has failed, yet again.
Before Tim
05-06 35-37-4-4
06-07 23-48-4-5

With Tim
07-08 34-32-9-5
08-09 41-30-5-4 (With the loss of Elliott for half the year)
09-10 15-15-3-1 (Lots of games left)

Record looks respectable to me.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 02:29 PM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Just to clarify. Lee was a riser in the second half of that year leading up to the draft, and was projected to go somewhere between 10-15. Bob McKenzie's rankings, which we all know are pretty accurate every year, had him at 14, so it wasn't a huge reach like people seem to think it was. I just don't think people knew who Lee was at the time.

I think every Sens fan is pretty much expected Lee to be dealt. I'd be pretty surprised if he wasn't, that's for sure.

Looking at that link, Ottawa drafted a player who was further down the prospect chart from their actual draft position (gap between propsected draft position and actual) by 5 places. That is second only to San Jose who were definitely off the chars with Setoguchi.

That is quite a leap really especially when you have a top 10 draft pick. Why have staff and scouts if you're not inclined to listen to them. To me a GM doesn't have the time to devote to following prospects that his scouts and analysts do. He needs to recognize his limitations and trust in others to inform his decision making.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 02:36 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
That is quite a leap really especially when you have a top 10 draft pick. Why have staff and scouts if you're not inclined to listen to them. To me a GM doesn't have the time to devote to following prospects that his scouts and analysts do. He needs to recognize his limitations and trust in others to inform his decision making.
Huh? You think Muckler made this pick without listening to his scouts? They were probably the ones who told him to take Lee. I'm sure he didn't ignore them and just go out on his own and take someone.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote