HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Versus

Old
01-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave1022 View Post
Buoyed by higher ratings this season, Versus has agreed to carry N.H.L. games through the 2010-11 season.
Yeah, I've heard something about that, but didn't know if it was real. Well that's pretty dumb...

I'm sure if they went over to ESPN now, especially with the Penguins having Crosby-Malkin and Washington having Ovechkin that ESPN would showcase through their commercials and real sports fans, no matter who or what type of fan they are, would be taking more notice. Real fans tune into ESPN... Even if ESPN isn't willing to pay as much as Versus is paying, the NHL would still benefit more from ESPN. How many fans tune into Versus for bull riding and then they see an NHL commercial? I'm sure if NFL Live was on a commercial break, more people would actually see it.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Honestly, if the debate is ESPN or Versus, I'll take Versus. Not that I don't have a list of complaints about Versus, but ESPN is absolutely unwatchable IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Same here. I was pissed when Time Warner axed HDNET... HDNETMovies was great too.

And the HD feed was ridiculous. I remember when i bought my first HDTV, the first game i watched was on HDNET and i got so excited... and then i turned on Versus and MSG...
I don't even own HD equipment, but I'm hooked on HDNet. I have seen some programming on my neighbor's plasma, and you're right, the picture quality is absolutely stunning. You're not missing much if you're not a motorsports fan though, and there's definitely no more raw hockey streams or movies.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Unpredictable1

The one thing about versus that makes me want to pour Javex in my ears and claw my eyes out:

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 04:09 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
They showed a game every other night too.

I used to watch 4 games a night if the schedule broke right.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Here's the thing with Versus and ESPN -- you pick your poison.

Versus
Pros
- National exposure for the league, but issues with DirecTV and how high up in the channel listings (partly a con)
- NHL is first priority for the network, willing to do what the league wants.
- Marketing and promotions are easy and cheap for the NHL
- A modest network, looking to improve and learn from mistakes of other networks
- Willing to pay handsomely for the league's rights.

Cons
- Crap HD quality feed
- Camera is sometimes shaky/lose puck
- Below-average replays (MSG does a much better job showing the play)
- Annoying/Incompetent commentators/intermission reports and peripheral programming
- The network (when not showing NHL) shows crap like Fishing, WEC, Sports Soup (wtf?) and other stupid stuff

ESPN
Pros
- Worldwide leader in sports presentation
- Excellent quality HD feeds
- Huge national exposure, easily accessible (low channel listing), no cable/provider disputes
- Camera work and replays would be top notch
- Decent commentary and analysis (assuming they kept the same guys they had pre-lockout, melrose)

Cons
- Network arrogance. They are the boss and won't give much back to the league in terms of what the NHL wants.
- "***** status" being delegated to ESPN2 or another lower-tier ESPN channel. Rarely would NHL games be on the main ESPN channel unless NOTHING else was going on.
- Marketing/advertising competition with NBA, NFL and MLB --- NHL would be squelched out easily.
- Will not give NHL fair market value for rights (contract $$), see cheap.
- Little peripheral coverage for the sake of covering the other 3 leagues which make ESPN more money
- ESPN2 and other peripheral channels show bowling, cheerleading and NASCAR -- not exactly flattering for the NHL to be in the same boat.

-----------------------

I probably left some things out but as you can see, neither network is desirable really. Personally, I'd prefer ESPN for the visual coverage and the fact that dumb Americans think ESPN = sports bible in many cases -- so if the NHL is on there, it would have to be legit.

Not exactly ideal though.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 07:49 AM
bubba5

Versus HD feed is the worst! Plus I hate when they put the graphics on the bottom of the screen, it blocks the play.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
- ESPN2 and other peripheral channels show bowling, cheerleading and NASCAR -- not exactly flattering for the NHL to be in the same boat.
Well thought-out analysis, but this part is funny. It's not flattering for the NHL to be on the same network as NASCAR? Have you checked the difference in the ratings between the two sports? NASCAR people should be complaining if they have to get in the same boat with hockey!

Poker and cheerleading get better ratings than hockey too...

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Richie Rich

Call me crazy but I don't mine VS. too much. Probably just because MSG is so bad.

Richie Rich is offline   Reply With Quote