HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#43: Flyers @ Penguins - January 7, 2010 - 7:30 PM (ET)

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Sorry to invade enemy lines, but I just wondered what Flyer fans thought of Leighton? I was at the game tonight and thought he looked very solid. He was confident and stood his ground all night long.

Could he be a possible solution for this season?
The majority of his success one this run has been attributable to the defense really bearing down. This was his best performance as a Flyer, by a lot in my opinion.

Old
01-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
I had bragging rights tonight. Twas a good evening.

I hope this is a step in the right direction. This team is showing how much talent they have when they just play the ****ing game...let's see some consistency.
The defensive breakdowns drove me up a wall tonight. I would have liked to see them lock it down better when they got it to 5-2 in the second.

They didn't sag when they didn't get a call or had a bad shift, which shows that at the very least they're gaining confidence. That is a great sign.

Old
01-08-2010, 12:25 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Sorry to invade enemy lines, but I just wondered what Flyer fans thought of Leighton? I was at the game tonight and thought he looked very solid. He was confident and stood his ground all night long.

The Flyers are an unlucky team. We have always been that way. Now in comes Leighton and somehow this guy is the luckiest guy of all. Personally, I hope he stays as a backup. The team seems to play very well defensively infront of him.

Old
01-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

Solution? What's that supposed to mean? Emery is our starter. Leighton may end up sharing the backup job with Boosh until a move is made. Boosh is signed for another year so it's not as easy as giving Leighton the backup job when Emery returns, especially with Leighton's resume of suck.

He's been good for us though. For the most part, this game excluded of course, Leighton has been extremely lucky throughout his starts. Usually either the defense bails him out or the opposition just flat-out doesn't capitalize on stuff like bad rebounds and/or bad positioning.

I'm a supporter of keeping all three goalies provided that whatever move we make to keep all three of them isn't one that will hurt us.

Old
01-08-2010, 12:41 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Nice win tonight. The thing you have to like the most is that everytime the Pens seemed to chip away at the lead, the Flyers had a answer. They stuck to playing solid hockey.
JVR had his 3rd straight 2 point game. Guess he has busted threw that wall he seemed to hit in December. You would think that JVR deserves more ice time, but you would have to agree with the sentiment on the board you cant break up the JVR/Powe/Asham line as much as some would be tempted to drop Hartnell down with his play of late.
As far as that goal that was waived off goes, it was in but if it had counted the Pens more then likely dont pull the goalie in the final minute anyway and it still would have been 7-4.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 01-08-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old
01-08-2010, 12:50 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
Nice win tonight. The thing you have to like the most is that everytime the Pens seemed to chip away at the lead, the Flyers had a answer. They stuck to playing solid hockey.
True. However, on the opposite side of it the Pens always seemed to have an answer for us scoring on them. Still though, I know what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
JVR had his 3rd straight 2 point game. Guess he has busted threw that wall he seemed to hit in December. You would think that JVR deserves more ice time, but you would have to agree with the sentiment on the board you cant break up the JVR/Powe/Asham line as much as some would be tempted to drop Hartnell down with his play of late.
Prior to this game I would have supported switching Hartnell and JVR around. I'd like to keep the lines the way they are right now though. That JVR line is great and it would probably benefit JVR to get lesser minutes anyway considering that he's a rookie.

Old
01-08-2010, 01:03 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
True. However, on the opposite side of it the Pens always seemed to have an answer for us scoring on them. Still though, I know what you mean.

Prior to this game I would have supported switching Hartnell and JVR around. I'd like to keep the lines the way they are right now though. That JVR line is great and it would probably benefit JVR to get lesser minutes anyway considering that he's a rookie.
Asham has been playing very well recently... He also seems to have some chemistry with JVR.

Old
01-08-2010, 01:03 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Leighton sucks. And I don't mean that in a bad way. He's a career back-up and not an answer to anything. His rebound control is horrible and his positioning is almost equally horrible whenever there is strong pressure. He is better than average at stopping the first shot but every legitimate starter in the league is just as good at stopping the first shot and all are better with rebound control and positioning themselves to stop rebounds.

The defense is doing a great job keeping quality chances to a minimum and they are generally pouncing on the rebounds and loose pucks first. The rare times that they don't, the puck has almost always found its way to the back of the net.

Leighton has exceeding every expectation, it is true. But do you really think he'll keep up his insane save percentage? He's a .900 goalie. Period. When Boucher and Emery are healthy there is no comparison.

Old
01-08-2010, 01:05 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Leighton sucks. And I don't mean that in a bad way. He's a career back-up and not an answer to anything. His rebound control is horrible and his positioning is almost equally horrible whenever there is strong pressure. He is better than average at stopping the first shot but every legitimate starter in the league is just as good at stopping the first shot and all are better with rebound control and positioning themselves to stop rebounds.

The defense is doing a great job keeping quality chances to a minimum and they are generally pouncing on the rebounds and loose pucks first. The rare times that they don't, the puck has almost always found its way to the back of the net.

Leighton has exceeding every expectation, it is true. But do you really think he'll keep up his insane save percentage? He's a .900 goalie. Period. When Boucher and Emery are healthy there is no comparison.

How can you say no to that?

Old
01-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

How can you say no to that?
I think he has a thumb up that dog's ass.

Old
01-08-2010, 01:08 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:

no one is going to deny Leighton on what he is, a career backup at best. But you have to give him credit for doing what he was brought in to do. Give the Flyers a chance to win every night. Yes he benifited from strong offense at times. But he was good when he was asked to be. He will probably be waived again this weekend when Emery officially gets back though, and he probably will get claimed by someone given how he looked in the past couple of weeks.

Old
01-08-2010, 01:16 AM
KevinLin

Quote:

Could argue Boucher is a .900 goalie...infact they share a .899 save percentage. Both have a lot of faults and because they are flawed their save percentages fluctuate from year to year. Boucher is not superior to Leighton...ride the hot horse. No one is claiming boucher this year.

Old
01-08-2010, 01:18 AM
PhilaFlyers

Yeah Boucher kinda blows too, stick with Leighton.

Old
01-08-2010, 01:19 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Ever since Pyorala stopped playing... Ive been depressed... until Leighton the Great came. He here to save our team....

Old
01-08-2010, 01:20 AM
KevinLin

Basically for me it comes down to who is most likely to stay hot and have an abnormally good year...28 year old Leighton or 33 year old Boucher.

Old
01-08-2010, 01:20 AM
chaosof99*

7-4. Couldn't have asked for much more. Unfortunately couldn't stay up to watch it. Got an exam today and wanted to get my sleep pattern right. Just saw the highlights Carter is scoring again. What a surprise O_O. Also JVR scored twice with the same move, on different goaltenders

That goal that was waved off is a ****ing joke though. You can clearly see Johnson fishing the puck out from behind the goal line on one of the angles.

Old
01-08-2010, 01:31 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
I honestly don't know. He has looked better and better to me with each appearance.

Tonight he used a lot of different skills to make some tough saves. I thought he moved laterally really well, saw the puck well (particularly through traffic), looked better at tracking walk outs from behind the goal line. The one issue was still rebound control.

Old
01-08-2010, 01:32 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Finally!! A win over a team that we have struggled against of late. Gotta say I had a good feeling about this game going in.

Old
01-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I honestly don't know. He has looked better and better to me with each appearance.

Tonight he used a lot of different skills to make some tough saves. I thought he moved laterally really well, saw the puck well (particularly through traffic), looked better at tracking walk outs from behind the goal line. The one issue was still rebound control.
He made some big saves but he also showed all of his flaws. Ride the hot goalie for now but Leighton is not the future. Every game that our defense doesn't play very well in is going to be a loss with him. And once his save percentage starts normalizing...

Old
01-08-2010, 01:56 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
Finally!! A win over a team that we have struggled against of late. Gotta say I had a good feeling about this game going in.
To be fair, the Pens themselves have struggled a lot lately.

Quote:
He made some big saves but he also showed all of his flaws. Ride the hot goalie for now but Leighton is not the future. Every game that our defense doesn't play very well in is going to be a loss with him. And once his save percentage starts normalizing...
I agree completely with this. In fact, this is pretty much what I've been saying and thinking since the Tampa Bay game.

I fear the game where the defense doesn't bail Leighton out. That will be a loss for sure.

In my mind Leighton hasn't even been giving us as much of a chance to win as the defense has been giving Leighton a chance to win. If that makes any sense.

Leighton played well today, but he once again showed his flaws. He was kind of weak on most of the goals. I remember one Crosby shot where his glove was very out of position and another goal where he pretty much skated out of the net instead of hugging the post which caused a puck that deflected off one of our d-men to go in a virtually empty net. Hell, even that so-called "left-hand larceny" wasn't that great of a save. Leighton played it well, but he pretty much just followed Guerin (who seemed reluctant to shoot it) and then held his glove in the only real position Guerin had to shoot at (considering that he didn't have enough of an angle to get it over Leighton's glove).

Old
01-08-2010, 02:09 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
To be fair, the Pens themselves have struggled a lot lately.
Oh I know. That's part of the reason I had a good feeling about this game. My reasoning for the good feeling was that the Pens had been struggling, but had just snapped a bit of a losing streak. How many times have we seen a team win a game big to end a losing streak (not just the Flyers), only to come out and lose the next game? The other part of my reasoning was the Flyers were probably due for a win against the Pens, and were probably going to be the less cocky of the 2 teams since they have absolutely ZERO reason to feel cocky going up against anyone at this stage (especially the Pens).

Old
01-08-2010, 02:43 AM
KevinLin

Quote:
I don't expect him to be the goalie of the future I expect him to have a decent and then probably suck next 2 years. Same thing with Boucher but he is in a suck year after a decent year. That is how back ups are they have up years and they have down years. Up years are usually when they feel like they were slighted or undervalued....down years come when they get multi-year deals.

EDIT: Like I said they both have career save percentages of .899, however most of there years are either up from that or down.

Boucher:
2000: .918 sv % 35 Games
2001: .876 sv % 27
2002: .905 sv % 41
2003: .894 sv % 45
2004: .906 sv % 40

2006: .854 sv % 3 games .877 sv % 11 games
2007: .884 sv % 15 g .866 sv % 3 games
2008: .932 sv % 5 games
2009: .917 sv % 22 games
2010: .896 sv % 17 games

Leighton is more consistently near .900, but he is due for a decent year and the trends say Boucher is due for a stinker.

Last edited by KevinLin: 01-08-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old
01-08-2010, 03:30 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
As for the flaws being shown tonight, the one five hole goal to Cooke was kind of soft. Other than that I thought he was good.

Of course I know Leighton isn't the goalie of the future, but that's not what you asked is it? I didn't give a definitive answer regarding him maintaining his save percentage. I said I think he has a chance to, given his visible improvement as the games have gone on. If his game regresses in areas to where it was during his first game or two here, then I don't like his chances, but given that he has been trending towards stronger play (confidence? coaching?), I think he has a shot to do it.

Old
01-08-2010, 03:42 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

very well played game by the flyers.

my observations...

- the offense played very well; they forchecked like crazy and i love to see that. they got to loose pucks in the pens zone and never gave up on the play. they shot the puck in situations when i would have otherwise found myself shouting "SHOOT YOU MORON!" at the tv, and it rewarded them.
- i would, however, like to see them better on the boards. not just the wingers and the role players, but everyone. every player on the ice needs to be better on the boards. the offense will be one of the hardest to stop if that happens.
- the defense is still giving up WAY too many chances for the opposing team to come back with speed. this includes breakdowns in the neutral zone, defenders caught not moving their feet, which ultimately leads to an inability to hit or take your man off the puck.
- i did notice that the defense is doing a better job of clearing rebounds by getting sticks and bodies in between leighton and the attacking forward. this was KILLING us before, especially when we played a team like the penguins that drives their offense in one at a time in order to get the defense down too far, inabiling them to create turnovers or breakout.
- they need to STOP making desperation passes in the defensive zone in order to breakout or stop a cycle. it almost ALWAYS ends up a turnover. I.E. Carter's blind pass in the defensive zone that went directly to a penguin defender and then directly behind leighton. they need to be more patient and collected in the defensive zone. Carter could have just as easily turned, observed and cleared efficiently.
- gagne needs to hit the ****ing net.
- giroux needs to move his feet. how many open nets has he missed because he wasn't in position and had to reach and poke for the puck? more than once and that is too many. not to mention the 3 open nets he missed in the winter classic.
on the "officiating".

1. that penguin goal where malkin accepted the puck and got it down low which ultimately led to crosby's 2nd goal should NEVER have even gotten that far because malkin was about 2 feet offsides.
2. there is ABSOLUTELY no way that the goal disallowed was not a goal. you can quite clearly see the red line, johnsons pads PAST the redline and the puck coming back out of the net. You cannot see the puck until it comes out of the net, which by the laws of physics, tell you that it was across the goaline. i think common sense and the laws of physics constitute conclusive evidence. ****ing morons. my 8 year old cousin could do a better job in the 'war room'.

Old
01-08-2010, 04:29 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsCannon View Post
very well played game by the flyers.

my observations...

- the offense played very well; they forchecked like crazy and i love to see that. they got to loose pucks in the pens zone and never gave up on the play. they shot the puck in situations when i would have otherwise found myself shouting "SHOOT YOU MORON!" at the tv, and it rewarded them.
- i would, however, like to see them better on the boards. not just the wingers and the role players, but everyone. every player on the ice needs to be better on the boards. the offense will be one of the hardest to stop if that happens.
- the defense is still giving up WAY too many chances for the opposing team to come back with speed. this includes breakdowns in the neutral zone, defenders caught not moving their feet, which ultimately leads to an inability to hit or take your man off the puck.
- i did notice that the defense is doing a better job of clearing rebounds by getting sticks and bodies in between leighton and the attacking forward. this was KILLING us before, especially when we played a team like the penguins that drives their offense in one at a time in order to get the defense down too far, inabiling them to create turnovers or breakout.
- they need to STOP making desperation passes in the defensive zone in order to breakout or stop a cycle. it almost ALWAYS ends up a turnover. I.E. Carter's blind pass in the defensive zone that went directly to a penguin defender and then directly behind leighton. they need to be more patient and collected in the defensive zone. Carter could have just as easily turned, observed and cleared efficiently.
- gagne needs to hit the ****ing net.
- giroux needs to move his feet. how many open nets has he missed because he wasn't in position and had to reach and poke for the puck? more than once and that is too many. not to mention the 3 open nets he missed in the winter classic.
on the "officiating".

1. that penguin goal where malkin accepted the puck and got it down low which ultimately led to crosby's 2nd goal should NEVER have even gotten that far because malkin was about 2 feet offsides.
2. there is ABSOLUTELY no way that the goal disallowed was not a goal. you can quite clearly see the red line, johnsons pads PAST the redline and the puck coming back out of the net. You cannot see the puck until it comes out of the net, which by the laws of physics, tell you that it was across the goaline. i think common sense and the laws of physics constitute conclusive evidence. ****ing morons. my 8 year old cousin could do a better job in the 'war room'.
Ah!! See? This is the NHL we're talking about here. Common sense? Psssshhhhh!!! And don't get me started on their absolute disregard for the laws of physics (if a guy is CROSS CHECKED into the goalie, how is he supposed to "make an attempt to not hit the goalie"????).

Closed Thread