HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#43: Flyers @ Penguins - January 7, 2010 - 7:30 PM (ET)

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2010, 05:40 AM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
we should only keep 3 goalies until we are sure Emery is healthy, then we dish Boucher or Leighton

Old
01-08-2010, 06:16 AM
Ugene Malkin
ON THE WAGON TRAIL

Wanna wish you guy's congrats on a nice win last night......

Things are definitely going to change for the better real quick on the up swing for them/you.

I was there for the beating...

Old
01-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Sanders418777

JVR JVR JVR....

Right back into the Calder talks. Wouldn't it be nice if he stole it from Tavares.
He's gettin about 5 minutes less ice time as well and only a few points behind him.
This after his horrible drought (along with the rest of the team).

Old
01-08-2010, 06:58 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I'm really happy with the game last night. A lot of people probably said that the win over the Leafs was because it was just the Leafs being the Leafs, and then the Flyers go and practically do the same thing to the Penguins. Team's looking really good. When they're on, they're REALLY on.

Old
01-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Sanders418777

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I'm really happy with the game last night. A lot of people probably said that the win over the Leafs was because it was just the Leafs being the Leafs, and then the Flyers go and practically do the same thing to the Penguins. Team's looking really good. When they're on, they're REALLY on.

Yet some believe that this team isn't talented, isn't elite, and is a first round 1 and done. Talk about player confidence... where is our fanbase's confidence?

When we are clicking we are a contender. Period.

Old
01-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I think he has a thumb up that dog's ass.
Thats not his thumb.

Old
01-08-2010, 08:16 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
As for the flaws being shown tonight, the one five hole goal to Cooke was kind of soft. Other than that I thought he was good.

Of course I know Leighton isn't the goalie of the future, but that's not what you asked is it? I didn't give a definitive answer regarding him maintaining his save percentage. I said I think he has a chance to, given his visible improvement as the games have gone on. If his game regresses in areas to where it was during his first game or two here, then I don't like his chances, but given that he has been trending towards stronger play (confidence? coaching?), I think he has a shot to do it.
Sure, Leighton let in 4 goals last night, but he made some spectacular saves at key moments that sealed the victory last night.

I agree with your assesement of Leighton though. With the exception of the Ottawa game (where I think Laviolette pulled him way too early) I think Leighton has improved with each game. I think the more he gets to work with Jeff Reese the better he will get (for some goalies it takes getting the right goalie coach to get him on track).

As far as I am concerned, once Emery returns and is healthy for 2 straight weeks I'd be fine with waiving Boucher and keeping Leighton as Emery's backup.

Is Leighton the starting goalie of the future? Absolutely not. Could he be a mainstay as the Flyers backup? I wouldn't rule that possibilty out. As I wrote above, I'd like to see him work with Reese for an extended period of time to see how good he can get.

Old
01-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Momentum building
keep it up Sat!

Old
01-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders418777 View Post
Yet some believe that this team isn't talented, isn't elite, and is a first round 1 and done. Talk about player confidence... where is our fanbase's confidence?

When we are clicking we are a contender. Period.

It's not so much that I don't think we have a pretty good team. I just don't believe we have anywhere near the team that San Jose or Chicago do. We could possibly sneak out of the east but we'll need excellent goaltending and great special teams...especially a great PK. Beating the Pens on the road is nice but it would have been nice if we'd done it with Gonchar, Kunitz and Feds in their line up. We'll know better when we see how post-surgery Ray plays.

Old
01-08-2010, 08:48 AM
DrHamburg

The Penguins' NHL-worst power play went 0 for 3. The Penguins have 27 goals on a league-high 187 power plays (14.4 percent).

I find this hilarious and shocking at the same time. How does a PP struggle with sid and malkin? But is anyone surprised the Penguins lead the league in powerplays?

Old
01-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Kaktus*

Flyers work hard (cough Hartnell cough), Flyers do not take stupid penalties as a result we started to win games. It is that simple.

Hopefully we get better on PK and hopefully Coburn & Hartnell improve their play.

Old
01-08-2010, 09:17 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
The Penguins' NHL-worst power play went 0 for 3. The Penguins have 27 goals on a league-high 187 power plays (14.4 percent).

I find this hilarious and shocking at the same time. How does a PP struggle with sid and malkin? But is anyone surprised the Penguins lead the league in powerplays?
It's karma. They get all the ridiculous calls but since they don't deserve them karma won't let them score. GREAT game last nite!

Old
01-08-2010, 09:47 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
lazy bum should have got a hat trick
Looked to me like he did, surprised they didn't change that Carle goal to Carter.

Old
01-08-2010, 09:51 AM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Beating the Pens on the road is nice but it would have been nice if we'd done it with Gonchar, Kunitz and Feds in their line up. We'll know better when we see how post-surgery Ray plays.
As far as being relieved in beating our arch-rivals, yeah, I won't feel much better until we can beat their A-game. But as far as self-assessment, I think the bad calls and last night's goal differential evens it out enough to say we're officially out of our slide.

Going back to the rivalry in particular, some people saying we need to be able to beat them solidly and put up a dominating defensive effort against them on a regular basis, but I'm not sure I agree. No teams will be able to do that because of the kind of game the penguins play. An 11 goal game is Pittsburgh hockey.

Old
01-08-2010, 09:51 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsCannon View Post
i think common sense and the laws of physics constitute conclusive evidence. ****ing morons. my 8 year old cousin could do a better job in the 'war room'.
I have absolutely NO INTEREST whatsoever in allowing faceless and remote NHL replay officials the latitude to use "common sense".

Old
01-08-2010, 09:56 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

As happy as I am about us winning -- and it's very nice to see us string together these wins -- our team defense still really bothers me. I see too many people looking for the fast break and the quick offense instead of the tight D, and that goes for our dman too. Coburn (god help us) and Bartulis are halfway out of the zone when the Pens scored last night, and that has been a consistent problem.

It's great to see our offense going and getting out of this slump, so I won't complain about that, but once it gets to the playoffs, the tight team D is what's going to win it for us, and I haven't seen that yet against too many good teams.

Old
01-08-2010, 10:00 AM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

The fact that they didn't let the disallowed goal take the wind out of their sails speaks volumes about how far this team has come.

A few weeks ago, a bad penalty call against them had them all but giving up.

It's still a work in progress, but I like the direction they're heading.

Old
01-08-2010, 11:03 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2605
Tim P. is on a mission. He is now calling it "dumb" and the officials "blind as bats."

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...115&feedID=695

Quote:
The replay shown in the press box showed the puck clearly over the line as Johnson swipes it back out. Incredibly, the replay officials ruled it “inconclusive,” because you couldn’t clearly see the puck inside the net, just it coming out. Dumb.

“When I shoot, I thought the puck was in but at the same time, he was covering the puck with his pads and his glove,” Gagne said. “I told the referee it’d be better to look at it. Both linesmen and referees said it was pretty much in the net but no, they wanted to make sure it was in or not.

“When they came to the bench … they said it was in the goal. On the bench we were pretty pumped.”

It was a 5-3 game before then and had the goal counted, Gagne would have notched his 500th career point. He didn’t. Officials in Toronto, blind as bats, ruled no goal.

A giant among racehorses, Unbridled became an even more towering figure at stud,
siring a winner of each Triple Crown race, as well as champions, Grade 1 winners, and major producers at stud.

Paulick Report, May 19, 2015
Old
01-08-2010, 11:26 AM
BerubeBox*

I hate to admit it but you really can't fault the officials. If they had called it a goal, and it was actually NOT a goal, then the pens would have been screwed by the bs lack of conclusiveness. They should have the luxury of relying on toronto in questionable situations, that's what the war room is there for. The war room needs to hire better people and/or come up with a better system, bottom line.

Old
01-08-2010, 11:40 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
I hate to admit it but you really can't fault the officials. If they had called it a goal, and it was actually NOT a goal, then the pens would have been screwed by the bs lack of conclusiveness. They should have the luxury of relying on toronto in questionable situations, that's what the war room is there for. The war room needs to hire better people and/or come up with a better system, bottom line.
Though no two situations are identical, the play last night was somewhat reminiscent of a goal in 2005 when the NHL overturned the on ice call.

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/...nt=1&viewall=1

Quote:
Late in the second, a Gagne shot turned into a goalmouth scramble. Devils goalie Martin Brodeur referred to it as a "phantom," but Philadelphia video goal judge Jim Doyle - in conjunction with the NHL's Toronto office, which monitors all games - called it a goal at 18:48 after a prolonged review.

"We felt the puck was where (Devils defenseman Richard) Matvichuk's glove was, and he knocked it out with a swishing motion," Mike Murphy, the NHL's vice president of hockey operations, said by telephone from Toronto last night. "We saw the puck in the net and awarded the goal."

Old
01-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
That would be true if the evidence wasn't conclusive, it was on a number of angles. In order for that not to have been a goal the puck would have had to have broken the laws of physics. And it is common knowledge that the only law of physics that the NHL can break is the amount of ******** that fits inside the frail, AIDS-ridden frame of Gary Bettman.

Old
01-08-2010, 12:00 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Solid win.

This was a statement game. I don't care who we beat, my god we need points.

Old
01-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Pretty much what I posted on the thread in the mainboard. I don't mind the refs going to Toronto at all (I do mind Toronto being stupid). If they know they didn't see enough to make the call, then it's exactly what the refs should do. Massenhoven probably should've been in a position to see it, but what the hell, nobody is perfect.

Old
01-08-2010, 12:07 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl
The fact that they didn't let the disallowed goal take the wind out of their sails speaks volumes about how far this team has come.

A few weeks ago, a bad penalty call against them had them all but giving up.

It's still a work in progress, but I like the direction they're heading.
I agree 100% with this. Night and day attitude on the ice since the death spiral a few weeks ago.

Old
01-08-2010, 12:10 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

PGT is available for additional comments. This has reached 1,000.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=722971

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-08-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Closed Thread