HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Getting season tickets...

Old
01-04-2010, 06:54 PM
bubba5

vCash: 500
Call Bettman, He lied and lied and lied when he told the public that the lockout was for the fans to control spending so ticket prices would remain low. When it is only about supply and demand.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 11:41 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Call Bettman, He lied and lied and lied when he told the public that the lockout was for the fans to control spending so ticket prices would remain low. When it is only about supply and demand.
yea, we were all lied to.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 12:03 AM
mucker*

Getting STH to MSG is quite difficult.
For as long as I can remember, and from checking attendance histories, the Rangers in spite of being pretty medicore as far as I can tell (60s/70s/80s) have always been a tough ticket in town.
From my standpoint, they are 2nd only to Toronto in terms of fan loyalty because we show up in spite of our record.

Even today MSG is still sold out nightly. Thus if they have almost 200 straight sell outs, it stands to reason that STHs are few, far between, and quite expensive.
If any are available they most likely are 50s or 100 level seats dropped by brockers due to the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RothmanHockey View Post
And yet, the team still has the bones to call every game a sellout.

It's only a sellout because MSG buys up all unused seats at some point before/right after the game begins so they can call it a sellout.
I do not believe this for a minute. Did you see how packed the stands were tonight?
If MSG did this, then every other team in hockey would.
Do you think the Devils would have such low attendance?
Heck what about the Bruins, wouldn't their owner do the same?

Either this does not happen, or if it does everybody must do it, but tickets must be so tough to get at MSG that likely they do this for 500 or less returned seats from the other team.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 12:40 AM
nyrmetros

MSG buys up all unsold tickets before the game is over. It's a tax write off anyway for them.

Old
01-05-2010, 01:00 AM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
MSG buys up all unsold tickets before the game is over. It's a tax write off anyway for them.
Proof?
If this was the case as I said, then why do the Devils have such low attendance and the Bruins not sell out nightly?
I can't believe only MSG would do this, so either it doesn't go on or everybody does it and instead MSG only has to buy up a limited amount.

Old
01-05-2010, 01:03 AM
17futurecap

You can go on ticketmaster right now and get 10 tickets in a row for Wednesday's game, they definitely buy all the tickets.

Section
Row
Seats
Description
J
1 - 10
Price Level 5
LOGE LEVEL SEATING
CLUB SEATING
Type
Full Price Ticket
Ticket Price
US $162.00 x 10
Price Details
Convenience Charge
US $12.50 x 10

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 01:15 AM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
You can go on ticketmaster right now and get 10 tickets in a row for Wednesday's game, they definitely buy all the tickets.

Section
Row
Seats
Description
J
1 - 10
Price Level 5
LOGE LEVEL SEATING
CLUB SEATING
Type
Full Price Ticket
Ticket Price
US $162.00 x 10
Price Details
Convenience Charge
US $12.50 x 10
1) Those are high end corporate seats, which I suspect are due to the economy.
2) If MSG buys these up, one wonders then just how many other NHL teams do as well?
Do you honestly think this is the Rangers?
Wonder how many the Devils, Islanders, and Bruins do, all of whom do not sell out nightly.

Old
01-05-2010, 02:38 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDiv View Post
Getting STH to MSG is quite difficult.
For as long as I can remember, and from checking attendance histories, the Rangers in spite of being pretty medicore as far as I can tell (60s/70s/80s) have always been a tough ticket in town.
From my standpoint, they are 2nd only to Toronto in terms of fan loyalty because we show up in spite of our record.

Even today MSG is still sold out nightly. Thus if they have almost 200 straight sell outs, it stands to reason that STHs are few, far between, and quite expensive.
If any are available they most likely are 50s or 100 level seats dropped by brockers due to the economy.

I do not believe this for a minute. Did you see how packed the stands were tonight?
If MSG did this, then every other team in hockey would.
Do you think the Devils would have such low attendance?
Heck what about the Bruins, wouldn't their owner do the same?

Either this does not happen, or if it does everybody must do it, but tickets must be so tough to get at MSG that likely they do this for 500 or less returned seats from the other team.
I did -- the 300's and 400's were completely packed, the 100's and 200's were not full at all. I find it hard to believe they had 3,000 fans not show up tonight. My guess is, they're getting 16,000+ most nights, but are having trouble selling the expensive seats. But they are definitely not getting 18,200 every single night. I'm at the building for 30 home games, and there is a very rare night the stands are nearly completely full. It happens on Friday/Saturday nights and for the biggest games, but it does not happen terribly frequently. The Garden probably buys up 500-1,000'ish seats, and there are about 1,000 no shows (STH's that are corporations who don't use the tickets, mostly)

The reason I don't think they're actually sellout out is because there are a few no-shows in the 300/400's, but look how few and far between they are. Look how empty the bottom of the rink looks in the middle of the second period. There is no way EVERY SINGLE empty seat in the lower areas are all no-shows.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 09:38 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDiv View Post
Proof?
If this was the case as I said, then why do the Devils have such low attendance and the Bruins not sell out nightly?
I can't believe only MSG would do this, so either it doesn't go on or everybody does it and instead MSG only has to buy up a limited amount.
My friend wanted to go to the Ranger game last min on Dec 23rd. (CHRISTMAS TIME NO LESS) 4 hrs before the game, my rep had 4 different sets of FOUR seats for her to choose from. Yes, they were all clubs, but that's not the point. The point is that 4 hrs before the game at least 16 seats weren't sold. He didn't say, these could go some move quick. He said, let me know as late as 6:30 and they'll be at the will call. No chance they sold all those seats yet the game was a "sellout". Its not absolute proof, but common sense says they are freakin LYING when they say they sold out...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

I really doubt that the rangers are buying their own tickets.

I wouldn't believe it unless I saw some proof. There's no way they'd be able to do something like that and not have news of it leak out.

Think about how many scalpers there are outside MSG.. which means there has to be a decent # of people going to the game without tickets already, so they could be buying them from the box office right before the game.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:59 AM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
The fact is this: If the Rangers charged as much as the average team does, the games would be consistantly sold out and ST would be impossible to come by.

01-05-2010, 12:13 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
The fact is this: If the Rangers charged as much as the average team does, the games would be consistantly sold out and ST would be impossible to come by.
Wow. That sounds like a horrible business model. So even when they stink nobody would give up their seats and every yr forever they would sell out??? Why would you want that when you could have 5000 empty seats a night and have to buy your own tickets so you can claim to be sold out???

Plus, this way you get to piss of the most loyal fan base this side of Canada. I have always believed selling less product while squeezing your client for every last dollar is the KEY to success...

Old
01-05-2010, 01:15 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Wow. That sounds like a horrible business model. So even when they stink nobody would give up their seats and every yr forever they would sell out??? Why would you want that when you could have 5000 empty seats a night and have to buy your own tickets so you can claim to be sold out???

Plus, this way you get to piss of the most loyal fan base this side of Canada. I have always believed selling less product while squeezing your client for every last dollar is the KEY to success...
Hey, I'm not saying that this is a good business model...I'm just stating the facts.

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Giacomin

I just called my rep. today and we had a conversation about getting my co-worker ST,s and he told me again that the 300,s and 400,s are sold out and basically if you want them you have to do a season in the 100,s and 200,s. He also said that he gets about 10 new requests a week for upper level ST,s and there are I believe 8 reps so that is 80 requests per week. I am sure many are duplicates but if they get 10 different people requesting Seasons per week that is probably 1000 tickets per year that people would be willing to purchase. The problem is that MSG has to readjust their pricing in the 100,s and 200,s.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 03:46 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Hey, I'm not saying that this is a good business model...I'm just stating the facts.
I know... I was just demonstrating the stupidity of it all. On top of pissing off the base, its not even a smart strategy. If pissing on their fans resulted in greater profits, it would be unethical, but at least justifiable.

The fact that it is also lowering revenues just demonstrates why being the son of a great CEO doesn't make you qualified to be one...

Old
01-07-2010, 10:18 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
The problem is that MSG has to readjust their pricing in the 100,s and 200,s.
Not going to happen.

Old
01-08-2010, 01:48 PM
aslim240

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
The problem is that MSG has to readjust their pricing in the 100,s and 200,s.
I have been saying that for years, but I am not optomistic that they are going to change. And I agree that it is foolish of them not too.

aslim240 is offline   Reply With Quote