HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#43: Flyers @ Penguins - January 7, 2010

Old
01-08-2010, 12:13 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1447
#43: Flyers @ Penguins - January 7, 2010

Prior thread reached 1,000 posts.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=722451

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 12:19 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
1st post!

I think GKJ made a point earlier in this thread that Massenhoven is the worst ref in the league at being out of position on judging goals.
Massenhoven sucks as a ref anyway so I dont think anyone should be shocked. At least they didnt let the no goal deter them from their game plan. They stuck to things and stayed focus. Richards got the ENG and it ended up 7-4 anyway so it is all good.
Gagne will just have to get point #500 in front of the home fans on saturday night.
I mentioned on the main board on the no goal topic that they need to find a system to get the call right. That is the whole point of the review process is to get it right. If they are going to be this bad(and its not just the Flyers that have been affected by this) then what is the point of doing it? If the idiots in Toronto are going to be this bad I would rather have Massenhoven or someone else just say goal or no goal instead of wasting time.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 12:58 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

vCash: 500
I don't post too often, but I wanted to throw in my two cents:

Great win last night. I watched the whole game today after coming back from a day on the slopes - Leighton isn't "the answer", but he has done his job... he's kept the Flyers in a position to win games. I honestly hope he stays for the backup job. He's earned in IMO (though sending Bouch out the door would be a hard thing to do... always liked him).

Secondly, Powe, JVR and Matt Carle are quickly becoming three of my favorite players. Powe just doesn't take a shift off and busts his ass the entire game. He might not be the most talented player in the world, but I love his energy.

JVR has, imo, an extremely bright future. I love seeing his enthusiasm and skill on the ice. Those five-hole goals last night were things of beauty, and that third line seems to really be clicking on all cylinders.

Matt Carle is the most improved player on this team. Period. He has been a solid passer, a good defender, and has a potent shot at times. He seems to quietly do his job night in and night out; I've read a lot of talk about possibly dealing him, and I can't believe we'd consider that. Right now, he MIGHT be the best D-man on the team. Team USA is really missing out, I think.

To sum up: Go Flyers! I hope they keep it up and continue to play hard. The last couple games (including the WC) have been fun to watch.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 01:05 PM
JSTAFF

The only wow factors of last nights game was Coburn/Bartulis pairing. My lord is that one horrifying duo.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
The only wow factors of last nights game was Coburn/Bartulis pairing. My lord is that one horrifying duo.
Coburn has made Hall of Famers, All-Stars, and promising young rookies all look like **** this season.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 01:24 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Coburn really needs to get his head out of his ...!

However, this makes negotiations with his manager for a new contract much easier.

Question: Is it worth it?

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 01:31 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowa View Post
JVR has, imo, an extremely bright future. I love seeing his enthusiasm and skill on the ice. Those five-hole goals last night were things of beauty, and that third line seems to really be clicking on all cylinders.
And it was such a major concern going into the season and really all the way up until now. If they keep it up this is a completely different team.

Quote:
Matt Carle is the most improved player on this team. Period. He has been a solid passer, a good defender, and has a potent shot at times. He seems to quietly do his job night in and night out; I've read a lot of talk about possibly dealing him, and I can't believe we'd consider that. Right now, he MIGHT be the best D-man on the team. Team USA is really missing out, I think.
I continue to be surprised by how often he pinches, how deep he goes, and how infrequently the team pays for it. Seems like he knows which plays are risky and which ones aren't. That's an extremely valuable talent to have.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 01:36 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

That game last night has gotten me very excited about the upcoming games. I seriously do love the chemistry that Powe, JVR and Asham have together. Asham's moves and passing are so underrated, though his hands could be a little better burying any one of his numerous chances hes had over the past 15 or so games. That line is pure energy. It's amazing how different I feel after 10 games about the future. This team looked lost and dead last year.

01-08-2010, 01:44 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Coburn has made Hall of Famers, All-Stars, and promising young rookies all look like **** this season.
When Parent returns, Coburn ought to be sporting a purple sweater for a while to hopefully get his head on straight. He's definitely the worst of the six at the moment.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
That game last night has gotten me very excited about the upcoming games. I seriously do love the chemistry that Powe, JVR and Asham have together. Asham's moves and passing are so underrated, though his hands could be a little better burying any one of his numerous chances hes had over the past 15 or so games. That line is pure energy. It's amazing how different I feel after 10 games about the future. This team looked lost and dead last year.
Powe really ties the whole line together.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:01 PM
97FlyersKing18

Big win, I like the way we are trending upwards and getting contributions from all 4 lines. It was so hard listening to those tools on FSN. They are horrible because they are so unenthusiastic when the Flyers do well and then they act like they won the lottery when Sid luckily banked that off the tender. Just a joke of a crew, they directly represent 99.9% of Pens fans with their blind homerism, lack of hockey knowledge, and obnoxiously believing they have always been an elite franchise, which is the only reason why they still have jobs.

I like our top 6, but I really do think that our bottom 6 is top-5 in the league, as long as the Lapperiere-Betts-Carcillo plays good defense and stays healthy. I would like to see JVR and Hartnell switched for a few shifts during the game as JVR-Carter-Briere carried the team from a production standpoint in late October, November, and early December.

However, I still do believe that Hartnell has great value to this team, moreso than he would on any other squad for the folks that are calling for him to be traded. Harts is in more than a slump after not scoring in 16 games, but he has had some golden chances thanks to passes from Danny B and slot rebounds from Carter's shots.

2009 is in the past, nothing we or they can do about it. The Flyers need to keep on push'n through 2010.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:15 PM
chaosof99*

Watching the game in full now and Malkin was in fact offside on the third Pens goal. Still no excuse for the garbage play by the Flyers in the crease on that one and Leighton getting way out of position.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Wolfy
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
Don't worry, OKT is ready and will be back in the lineup soon

And somebody will have to pack his bags when Parent returns, who?

I'm back after a few days in Philly, met a few players, and fans. Had to spend the night at the airport in London, UK. It was closed just because of an inch of snow, the Brits are obviously not used to that white stuff..

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:33 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
Big win, I like the way we are trending upwards and getting contributions from all 4 lines. It was so hard listening to those tools on FSN. They are horrible because they are so unenthusiastic when the Flyers do well and then they act like they won the lottery when Sid luckily banked that off the tender. Just a joke of a crew, they directly represent 99.9% of Pens fans with their blind homerism, lack of hockey knowledge, and obnoxiously believing they have always been an elite franchise, which is the only reason why they still have jobs.

I like our top 6, but I really do think that our bottom 6 is top-5 in the league, as long as the Lapperiere-Betts-Carcillo plays good defense and stays healthy. I would like to see JVR and Hartnell switched for a few shifts during the game as JVR-Carter-Briere carried the team from a production standpoint in late October, November, and early December.

However, I still do believe that Hartnell has great value to this team, moreso than he would on any other squad for the folks that are calling for him to be traded. Harts is in more than a slump after not scoring in 16 games, but he has had some golden chances thanks to passes from Danny B and slot rebounds from Carter's shots.

2009 is in the past, nothing we or they can do about it. The Flyers need to keep on push'n through 2010.
FSN - it's probably closer to 40% of their fans who are like that, but yeah, it is pathetic. Clearly money is what's driving it. Hopefully they'll have enough soon so they can stop because I'd hate to be one of the other 60%, who are generally good and knowledgable hockey fans. The cup is the ultimate but I'd hate for it to be so tainted when we finally get ours.

Bottom 6 - the best thing about it is it frees up Giroux who is still improving and is such a perfect complement for a sniper like Gagne and a player of Richie's caliber. It also frees up Briere to click with Carter. I criticized their chemistry before (Briere and Carter) but it's really working now.

Hartnell - continues to do his job getting in the goalies face and providing the screen. That won't always get you points but it's his primary role and he's contributing as much as he should. The garbage goals will come too and as you mentioned, the chances he's been creating off of rushes are a bonus and will begin to pay off as well.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:57 PM
IrishSniper87

By the way, we beat the Pens 8-4 yesterday.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:04 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post

8-3

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:25 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post

Meh, the Pens wouldn't have pulled Johnson had the Flyers already been up 7-4.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:45 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

I need a replay of this game. I beg you.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:45 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Coburn in that game was just horrifying, the sequence that led up to his holding penalty was awful and the thing is that he had already been horrid up to that point, but that just took it to another level.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:52 PM
JonnyGaloshes

atta way flyboys

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:55 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Honestly though, I NEED a replay. I missed the game last night because my cable was out. I was getting texts and calls all night about how awesome the game was. AHHHHHHHHHH!

Old
01-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Honestly though, I NEED a replay. I missed the game last night because my cable was out. I was getting texts and calls all night about how awesome the game was. AHHHHHHHHHH!
You can catch the highlights on NHL.com. I know there's a site that archives all the games, but I forget what it's called.

Anyways, great game. Not only was that the first time that the Pens have ever lost while scoring four goals under Bylsma, but I just realized this morning that this was the first game that we managed to get more then six goals (which we've don several times so far).

Carle is awesome. Coburn is god-awful. If this keeps up then I definitely know who's staying and who's going in the off-season.

Anyone else notice how great Syvret has been since the Classic? He had several nice plays last night (a few on Crosby) in the defensive zone and he's been getting involved in the offensive zone when he has the opportunity.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 04:14 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
You can catch the highlights on NHL.com. I know there's a site that archives all the games, but I forget what it's called.
Yeah, I know there is a site. I just can't remember the name of it either. I refuse to watch highlights until I see the whole game.

Old
01-08-2010, 04:17 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Yeah, I know there is a site. I just can't remember the name of it either. I refuse to watch highlights until I see the whole game.
nhltorrents.co.uk

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 04:18 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
nhltorrents.co.uk
I love you.

I'm assuming you have to sign up?