HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts costs us one...

Old
01-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
is that guy basically saying you should experiment with your first two and leave the best for last so you know if the first two are any good? And then what, make them the third? Again, if you don't get to the third you leave your best guy out of the competition - I think you'd want to be 100% sure you get your best guy a chance to shoot. I can't see it any other way. Heck, I think that even statistics would support that statement. Oh, and by best I mean the player(s) believed to be the best shootout guy, who is not necessarily the teams leading scorer.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 01:58 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
is that guy basically saying you should experiment with your first two and leave the best for last so you know if the first two are any good? And then what, make them the third? Again, if you don't get to the third you leave your best guy out of the competition - I think you'd want to be 100% sure you get your best guy a chance to shoot. I can't see it any other way. Heck, I think that even statistics would support that statement. Oh, and by best I mean the player(s) believed to be the best shootout guy, who is not necessarily the teams leading scorer.
I follow the same logic, Fletch, but I've now been told by at least one person with a great statistical acumen that I'm wrong. I'm waiting to hear back from Tom Awad as well...

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 01:59 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Received this email from my buddy Timo Seppa--from ESPN/Puck Prospectus/etc--on his take, and this is what he said:

I certainly stand corrected! Good work, f2d.
So it seems like Torts should start taking a gamble with players like Anisimov, Lisin, etc. because the shootout percentages on this team are pretty awful.

Kotalik and Christensen are definitely the go to guys, followed by Prospal with a 40% percentage, but after that it gets a little complicated.

Gaborik has an 11.8% shootout percentage, one of the worst in the league since the shootout was implemented. Drury has a 21.4% shooting percentage in 14 attempts so he may be an OK option.

After Drury, everyone else on the team has had 8 or less shootout attempts, with the vast majority of players having only 1 shootout attempt. Hopefully some of them these guys can score, otherwise the Rangers may go from being one of the best shootout teams to one of the worst.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 50
What timo is saying is that the order doesn't matter for THAT game, but it DOES add value by getting you a history on your players by letting unproven players go first.

That's a pretty good point, if you got a guy you know is a good shooter, it doesn't matter if he doesn't get a chance. You want to build up statistics on your unproven guys so you can use that to decide who shoots in future games.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:17 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
It was pretty appauling that Ryan Callahan shot 2nd for a couple reasons.

First being there was a chance Gaborik never got his opportunity, and second being Callahan doesnt have any hands.
Callahan buries a lot of the breakaways he gets.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:19 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Bottom line is the shootuout is about who has the best hands. Putting Callahan out second was ridiculous.
It's not about who has the best hands, it's about who can put the puck in the net in a shootout. It's not always the people that have the best hands by any means. You mean to tell me Jagr and Gaborik don't have good hands? Because neither had/have a good track record in shootouts.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:27 PM
segmentation fault

What does it matter? I said to myself "they are losing if it goes to a shootout," and I based it on guys like Kovalchuk (who seemed to show some mercy) and the fact we have a rookie goaltender in play.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:39 PM
TomLaidlaw

I love that there is a binomial tree in this thread. If this thread was in high school it would get a wedgie and its lunch money stolen.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote