Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

2010 ohl draft

Old
01-04-2010, 01:47 PM
simple1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumping jim View Post
I too like Hooey(FWD). plays with alot of grit and jam. He is a player who you would hate to play against. He should be a 2nd - early 3rd. Good team player - that plays to win.

How tall is Kea?
Hooey's not interested in grinding it out with a big D man, you will find him pounding little guys. I don't see him as a high round candidate anyway.

Kea has a cousin who is 6'5, 200. They played on the same team last year so I can see where an observer might get them mixed up. Justin Kea is looks to be 6'1 185. He's not a gritty and tough player, but he no slouch either. He'll go to the dirty parts of the ice and when needed he uses size and strength very well.

simple1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Falcons93

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple1 View Post
Hooey's not interested in grinding it out with a big D man, you will find him pounding little guys. I don't see him as a high round candidate anyway.

Kea has a cousin who is 6'5, 200. They played on the same team last year so I can see where an observer might get them mixed up. Justin Kea is looks to be 6'1 185. He's not a gritty and tough player, but he no slouch either. He'll go to the dirty parts of the ice and when needed he uses size and strength very well.
I think the lowest Hooey will go will be in the 4th-5th round. I also can't agree with Kea being 6'1. He's definately not 6'5 but he isn't 6'1 either. I'd say 6'2/6'3. I've seen him in person several times and he's significantly taller than me (5'10). 185 sounds about right though. He's got to put more weight or muscle on his frame, no doubt about it.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Falcons93

Top 10 Rankings per thescout.ca

1. Nick Ebert -Waterloo Blackhawks
2. Matia Marcantuoni -Toronto Marlboros
3. Matthew Campagna -Toronto Young Nationals
4. Slater Koekkoek - Notre Dame Hounds
5. Brendan Gaunce - Markham Waxers
6. Scott Laughton - Toronto Marlboros
7. Jarrod Maidens - Hamilton Jr Bulldogs
8. Cristoval Nieves - Syracuse Nationals
9. Jacob Trouba - Detroit Compuware
10. Justin Kea - Central Ontario Wolves

Old
01-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Default101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow77 View Post
Top 10 Rankings per thescout.ca

1. Nick Ebert -Waterloo Blackhawks
2. Matia Marcantuoni -Toronto Marlboros
3. Matthew Campagna -Toronto Young Nationals
4. Slater Koekkoek - Notre Dame Hounds
5. Brendan Gaunce - Markham Waxers
6. Scott Laughton - Toronto Marlboros
7. Jarrod Maidens - Hamilton Jr Bulldogs
8. Cristoval Nieves - Syracuse Nationals
9. Jacob Trouba - Detroit Compuware
10. Justin Kea - Central Ontario Wolves
Any relation to JC Campagna?

Positions available?

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Tigers1992

Campagna is from Mississauga and JC Campagna is from Ohio, so i do not think that there is any relation.

Koekkeok is a defenceman, as is Ebert.

The rest are forwards. There are more high end forwards this year it seams.

Its a shame that Nieves is not interested in the OHL, that kid is a real talent.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Falcons93

Is it a surprise to anyone that Brady Vail (USHL-Waterloo) isn't on this list? Does he have commitments to NCAA or something? Most people are pretty high on him as a player. Thescout.ca is pretty accurate though, I think it got at least 10/20 first rounders last year. I guess Kea's stock isn't dropping even though his team has been awful recently.

Old
01-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Tigers1992

Vail is struggling badly this year from reports i have heard, but what the hell do i know lol.

I like thescout.ca, they do good work. There rankings where pretty bang on last year. They would have had more but they ignore college commitments and draft games (Harrington stayed 3 despite his college threat).

Old
01-06-2010, 10:51 PM
doogie24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
(Harrington stayed 3 despite his college threat).
Yet another steal by London.

Im assuming the Waterloo Blackhawks are a USHL team?

I like that thescout.ca provides enough information for free to make visiting their site worthwile.

doogie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 09:18 AM
1hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie24 View Post
I like that thescout.ca provides enough information for free to make visiting their site worthwile.
I spent the $59 for the subscription and find the site's comments on players to be pretty accurate and not based on "scouting reports" from the kids themselves or their parents. The reports on the various tournaments are also good. Their draft projections issued in mid-December are a little suspect since I don't think they had seen all the teams play by then. But it's only a preliminary projection. Good information, though, for the price.

1hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Default101

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie24 View Post
Yet another steal by London.

Im assuming the Waterloo Blackhawks are a USHL team?

Harrington was indeed a hell of a steal.. wonder how he made it all the way down to London at 19 when he was projected a top 5 pick

Old
01-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Default101

Quote:
Campagna is from Mississauga and JC Campagna is from Ohio, so i do not think that there is any relation.

Koekkeok is a defenceman, as is Ebert.

The rest are forwards. There are more high end forwards this year it seams.

Its a shame that Nieves is not interested in the OHL, that kid is a real talent.
But... If he has a brother that decided he wanted to play in the OHL, he could have come to Mississauga for the year and played there for this year to help his draft stock....

just like how there are a few canadians available in this draft playing for american based teams this season.

Old
01-07-2010, 11:00 AM
simple1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hockey View Post
I spent the $59 for the subscription and find the site's comments on players to be pretty accurate and not based on "scouting reports" from the kids themselves or their parents. The reports on the various tournaments are also good. Their draft projections issued in mid-December are a little suspect since I don't think they had seen all the teams play by then. But it's only a preliminary projection. Good information, though, for the price.
TheScout and ISS are pandering to gullible minor parents who's curiosity rationalizes $60 so they can see what's behind the curtain. Do you really think the next level of hockey uses/needs/cares about the services of a self appointed scout who visits a few minor-midget tourneys? As another famous publisher of speculation puts it "Inquiring minds want to know!"

I'm not a big fan of any of these services, but if you need to pick one I'd choose scoutingnews. Sure they use parent scouts, sure they pander to subscribers, but the bottom line is they have hundreds of parents supplying info and they have proven they can sort it out as the kids get older. By the time kids hit Min/Maj Midget their hit rate and depth (past top 10) of their predictions blows the other services out of fthe water. I know their content gets sold to a few online services, I'm guessing at least ISS and theScout as they they don't appear to have the resources to produce the content they publish.

Old
01-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg View Post
But... If he has a brother that decided he wanted to play in the OHL, he could have come to Mississauga for the year and played there for this year to help his draft stock....

just like how there are a few canadians available in this draft playing for american based teams this season.
Campanga was playing Minor Midget last year with the Mississauga Senators.

Old
01-07-2010, 12:03 PM
1hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple1 View Post
TheScout and ISS are pandering to gullible minor parents who's curiosity rationalizes $60 so they can see what's behind the curtain. Do you really think the next level of hockey uses/needs/cares about the services of a self appointed scout who visits a few minor-midget tourneys? As another famous publisher of speculation puts it "Inquiring minds want to know!"

I'm not a big fan of any of these services, but if you need to pick one I'd choose scoutingnews. Sure they use parent scouts, sure they pander to subscribers, but the bottom line is they have hundreds of parents supplying info and they have proven they can sort it out as the kids get older. By the time kids hit Min/Maj Midget their hit rate and depth (past top 10) of their predictions blows the other services out of fthe water. I know their content gets sold to a few online services, I'm guessing at least ISS and theScout as they they don't appear to have the resources to produce the content they publish.
I didn't say that the scouts use this service. I am a parent of a MM 94 and it's interesting to see someone else's views on my kid and the kids he's played with and against since novice. I wouldn't sign up for either of these services if I didn't have a son in the mix.

I know that my son and others will (or won't) get drafted based on how they play, not what thescout.ca or scoutingnews say. Only a fool would think that OHL scouts use these services.

1hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Tigers1992

Sooo...back to the draft lol....

Laughton looks to be a kid that is really smart, I like him lot.

A kid that hasn't really got a lot of mention is Matt Finn, hes solid, played good at both ends of the ice. Should be a top 40 player.

Old
01-07-2010, 02:18 PM
simple1

Quote:
Sooo...back to the draft lol....

Laughton looks to be a kid that is really smart, I like him lot.

A kid that hasn't really got a lot of mention is Matt Finn, hes solid, played good at both ends of the ice. Should be a top 40 player.
I like Laughton alot, he will be a top 40.

I used to think Finn had the opportunity to contend with some of the better D out there, not sure he's worked enough on speed and footwork, still a little clumbsy in those areas.

Old
01-08-2010, 02:53 PM
ladywithafan

Saw a few ‘94’s in Windsor recently. These kids all play midget major, which in my universe makes them stand out above those that tool around in the kiddy pool of midget minors. Partial evaluations:

Delaurier (Kapuskasing)—Big, fast kid with a knack for the net. Kinda has blinders on, but soft hands and strong on the puck. Had a good tournament with 10 pts in 5 games.

Boyer (Soo North Stars)—read a lot about this little guy. Good wheels, nice hands, sees the ice better than most kids older than him, seems to be a team leader out there. Small player though. Saw him dominated by bigger kids more than once.

Bednar (Mahoning Valley Phantoms--US) Huge kid, gonna get bigger, I’m told. Kind of a clunky skater Strong defensively but one of the most offensive D-men in this age group.

Lamontagne (Kapuskasing)—good skater, part of a group of strong ‘94s for this team, nice hands and can snipe the puck. Competes hard and keeps the game intense.

Dagnal (Pittsburgh Predators--US)—Skates with two very fast, older forwards. Big with soft hands, very strong on the puck, especially in the corners, drove the net like a truck. Cannot be moved in front of the net.

Giommi (Soo North Stars)—Good size and speed, skates with Boyer and Syrette quite a bit. Dominant line for that team. Nice passes, good vision for a young player.

Syrette (Soo North Stars)—Another big kid, though his size might be exaggerated. Great skater, smooth stride. Lotsa offense when he, Giommi and Boyer are together.

Other ‘94s that were there, but didn’t see much of:

Adam Lebel, Branden Plourde, Martin Levebrve. Drew Luciani ,Josh Hicks

Not sure where any of these fellas will fall into the draft, but they all get extra points for skating with ’91-‘93s and putting up decent numbers.

ladywithafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:07 PM
colts99

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlightreel View Post
I agree with you on Hulton, The kid played really well against the Bulldogs but he needs to play like that every time to have a shot of getting drafted. Checked the stats and it looks like Mossman and Kyle had good tourny. Kyle had a 5 point game
Yah i seen that game where Kyle had 5 points he really showed what he can do when he brings his head ready to play. I think he will be a 5-6 rounder if he keeps that hard work up.

colts99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:03 PM
simple1

The GTHL decided on their top prospects for the upcoming showcase game:

Goaltenders:
George Argiropolous - Majors
Borden Bessette – Nats
Denny Dubblestyne – JRC
Alex Lepore – Reps
Jake Paterson – Marlies
Dawson Sprigings – Sens

Defence:
Daniel Camilletti – Marlies
Joshua Chapman – JRC
Gianluca Curcuruto – Reps
Jake Emilio – JRC
Matt Finn – Marlies
Jesse Graham – Nats
Daniel Lombardi – JRC
Luke Mercer – Nats
Adam Pelech – Marlies
Gavin Shantz – Rebels
Darryl Snelling – Reps
Patryk Wojenski – Rebels.

Forwards:
Peter Angelopoulos – Marlies
Matt Campagna – Nats
Adam Chapman – JRC
Slater Doggett – Reps
Cosimo Fontana – Nats
Brett Gustavsen – Rebels
Conner Jarvis – Nats
Andres Kopstals – Nats
Scott Kosmachuk – Marlies
Matt Lane – Reps
Scotty Laughton - Marlies
James Lewis – Nats
Ryan Lomberg – Reps
Matia Marcantuoni – Marlies
Chris Marchese – Marlies
Sean Monahan – Rebels
Cody Payne – Reps
Trevor Petersen – Majors
Jordan Poirier – Majors
Robert Polesello – JRC
Kyle Rowe – Reps
Christopher Shugart – Nats
Terry Trafford – Reps
Thomas Wilson – JRC.

Upon deeper review, I don't think these are necessarily the top prospects from the league, but the top players from the first 5 place teams (6 for goalies). A third of these these players would not make the Nats, Marlies, or Rebels.

Goalies: I'm thinking 4 of these are 'top 6'
Def: 8 of the 12 are tops 12.
Forwards: 14 of the 24 are from top 24.

Last edited by simple1: 01-11-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Rethinking
Old
01-09-2010, 08:16 PM
TheKnownHockeyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywithafan View Post
Saw a few ‘94’s in Windsor recently. These kids all play midget major, which in my universe makes them stand out above those that tool around in the kiddy pool of midget minors. Partial evaluations:

Delaurier (Kapuskasing)—Big, fast kid with a knack for the net. Kinda has blinders on, but soft hands and strong on the puck. Had a good tournament with 10 pts in 5 games.

Boyer (Soo North Stars)—read a lot about this little guy. Good wheels, nice hands, sees the ice better than most kids older than him, seems to be a team leader out there. Small player though. Saw him dominated by bigger kids more than once.

Bednar (Mahoning Valley Phantoms--US) Huge kid, gonna get bigger, I’m told. Kind of a clunky skater Strong defensively but one of the most offensive D-men in this age group.

Lamontagne (Kapuskasing)—good skater, part of a group of strong ‘94s for this team, nice hands and can snipe the puck. Competes hard and keeps the game intense.

Dagnal (Pittsburgh Predators--US)—Skates with two very fast, older forwards. Big with soft hands, very strong on the puck, especially in the corners, drove the net like a truck. Cannot be moved in front of the net.

Giommi (Soo North Stars)—Good size and speed, skates with Boyer and Syrette quite a bit. Dominant line for that team. Nice passes, good vision for a young player.

Syrette (Soo North Stars)—Another big kid, though his size might be exaggerated. Great skater, smooth stride. Lotsa offense when he, Giommi and Boyer are together.

Other ‘94s that were there, but didn’t see much of:

Adam Lebel, Branden Plourde, Martin Levebrve. Drew Luciani ,Josh Hicks

Not sure where any of these fellas will fall into the draft, but they all get extra points for skating with ’91-‘93s and putting up decent numbers.
Very nice in depth report, I myself think that 94's playing Major Midget should have the upper hand in the draft because of the age difference. The gnml 94's were playing 91's in Windsor, do most Major Midget players get drafted high in the OHL draft?

TheKnownHockeyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 08:41 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl123 View Post
Very nice in depth report, I myself think that 94's playing Major Midget should have the upper hand in the draft because of the age difference. The gnml 94's were playing 91's in Windsor, do most Major Midget players get drafted high in the OHL draft?
You have to be exceptional to be drafted high from the GNML. Even the leading draft eligible forward Darcy Haines was picked in the 14th round.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Bob1234

Yes but, Darcy Haines did not have the best attitude and was not very discipline. Those few from the soo have a likely chance to get drafted whether its the 5-7 or 13-15.

Bob1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 05:34 AM
ladywithafan

So what are the criteria for Americans getting drafted? Nick Ebert is at the top of the list. He's a D-man playing in the USHL. He's doing OK there, not setting the world on fire. Another projected top 10 kid, Jacob Trouba, is a D man playing midget minor AAA at Compuware and is also doing OK. That's a HUGE difference in playing levels (Junior A vs 16UAAA midget minor) and yet these two guys are both talked about in the same round. They are D-men and good players, and they might have made it clear that they are set on the OHL instead of the NCAA, or their advisors (agents?) know someone who knows someone who has a friend in the business, but it's really tough to reconcile that disparity.

ladywithafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:04 AM
heusy_79
! kool uoy edam

The Belleville Bulls are gonna be looking to hit a home run in this draft to continue their rebuild. Their pick will almost certainly be in the top 5. As always their pick must be someone who is a strong skater to play on their big ice, and judging by their lack of ability to score this year I would think they would be targeting a top-flight forward. Who are the guys that fit this criteria for the upcoming draft?

heusy_79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:52 AM
JSilvius*

Here are my rankings of the 1994 players that are eligible for the draft:

Round 1:

1) Matia Marcantuoni - Toronto Marlboros (GTHL)
2) Matthew Campagna - Toronto Nationals (GTHL)
3) Nick Ebert - Waterloo Blackhawks (USHL)
4) Slater Koekkoek - Notre Dame Hounds (SMHL)
5) Brendan Gaunce - Markham Waxers (ETA)
6) Scott Laughton - Toronto Marlboros (GTHL)
7) Jacob Trouba - Compuware (MWEHL)
8) Jarrod Maidens - Hamilton Jr. Bulldogs (SCTA)
9) Justin Kea - Central Ontario Wolves (ETA)
10) Cristoval Nieves - Syracuse Nationals (USA-U16)
11) Chris Marchese - Toronto Marlboros (GTHL)
12) Gianluca Curcuruto – Mississauga Reps (GTHL)
13) Matthew Finn - Toronto Marlboros (GTHL)
14) Max Iafrate - Belle Tire (MWEHL)
15) Connor Crisp - York Simcoe Express (ETA)
16) Marcus McIvor - Whitby Wildcats (ETA)
17) Cosimo Fontana - Toronto Nationals (GTHL)
18) Connor Carrick - Chicago Fury (MWEHL)
19) Michael Clarke - London Jr. Knights (Alliance)
20) Troy Donnay - Belle Tire (MWEHL)

I think this is going to be a big year for American born players. Six American players being drafted in the first round is typically unheard of. This ranking is not taking NCAA commitments into consideration. No offence to anyone posting in here, but I can’t see a player from the GNML being drafted before the 5th round, and that is being quite generous. I don’t mean to be rude or offensive, whether you are a player from the GNML, or a parent trying to discuss your child, that’s just my opinion. If anyone wants any additional information on any of these players, perhaps a scouting report, feel free to ask and I’ll do my best to provide. If anyone is interested in 2nd or 3rd round rankings, I will do my best to accommodate these requests as well and will hopefully post it a little while after receiving the request. Good luck to all these players as the draft is fast approaching.

JSilvius* is offline   Reply With Quote