HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now Tortorella is the one on a leash

Old
01-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Now Tortorella is the one on a leash

No more swear-filled post games..

Quote:
Whether the salty language comes from Tortorella, another NHL coach, or team personnel, the National Hockey League has had enough and today issued the following memo, acquired by TSN, to remind teams and club representatives there may be consequences.

"Recently, we have had several instances of team personnel using inappropriate and profane language in media interactions and, in particular, in press conference settings. We appreciate the intensity and passion with which you approach your jobs, however, what is said publicly, and how it is said, reflects directly on the images of your respective organizations, the National Hockey League, and the game of hockey generally. In this context, profanity in public areas or where likely to be overheard by members of the media and/or general public is clearly inappropriate and unacceptable and, as previously advised in a memorandum to Clubs dated April 28, 2006, will be deemed a violation of the Media Regulations, NHL By-Law 17.4(a) (prohibiting statements "prejudicial to the welfare of the League or the game of hockey or of a Member Club"), and Article 6.3(j)(1) of the NHL Constitution (prohibiting conduct "detrimental to the League or the game of hockey"). Please be reminded that any such violations will subject both the individuals involved and their Clubs to potential fines."
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=305246

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:12 PM
FLYLine24*

vCash: 500
Nice! The John Tortorella rule!

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
I think it was more triggered by Ron Wilson's stunt the other day, but yea it is basically the Torts rule.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I can understand when a coach uses it once and awhile. But some guys use it as part of their 'bravado' and it becomes almost an every postgame occurrence.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
BULL----

They're going to crack down on a swearing in a game loaded with violent checks and fighting?

Please NHL...

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Don't be a pottymouth, somebody might get offended.

Im all for cleaning up the game. But not allowing the coaches to express themselves is a little ridiculous.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:17 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Torts is certainly good for some lulzy pressers.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
BULL----

They're going to crack down on a swearing in a game loaded with violent checks and fighting?

Please NHL...
What sport are you watching ? That hasn't been in the NHL since Gary Butthole took over

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:19 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Thread title led me to believe that his job was in jeopardy which:

1) got me super excited because I thought Sather had spoken to the media.
2) made me "WTF" since this isn't really the best time to put the coach on the line after getting points in 10 out of 11 games.

But anyway I don't know how for this new rule I am but I guess I can see where they're coming from.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:30 PM
OverTheCap

Once again, the NHL is acting a little hypersensitive and is overreacting to something that would not be an issue in the other professional sports leagues.

First it was the "sloppy seconds" comment, which was essentially an excuse to suspend Avery, and now the profanity ban. I don't think the NFL was freaking out over Jim Mora's or Dennis Green's profanity-laced tirades.

It would be nice if Bettman exercised the same diligence in making an effort to curb hits to the head as he does with silly things like "sloppy seconds" and cursing.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

That's the messed up thing.

If avery slashed the guy in the neck and sent him to the hospital, he probably would've gotten a lesser suspension then what he got.

Old
01-08-2010, 02:38 PM
ogie

The nhl swear jar ...all proceeds will go to keep unnamed teams in their southern american cities.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:39 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
That's the messed up thing.

If avery slashed the guy in the neck and sent him to the hospital, he probably would've gotten a lesser suspension then what he got.
Yup.

Avery got a 6 game suspension for saying "sloppy seconds" while rarely do players get that many games for an intentional hit to the head or a knee-on-knee. Normally they'll get in the neighborhood of 2-4, maybe 5, games.

It still bothers me. What an awful precedent to set.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:45 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Yup.

Avery got a 6 game suspension for saying "sloppy seconds" while rarely do players get that many games for an intentional hit to the head or a knee-on-knee. Normally they'll get in the neighborhood of 2-4, maybe 5, games.

Bettman is a lawyer who probably has never taken a shift in a game at any point in his life. Not that you need to be a former player to be an effective leader, but sometimes it seems like the game is foreign to him and his priorities are way out of order.

Old
01-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Yup.

Even bertuzzi would've gotten a lesser suspension then 6 games for what he did. Only reason he got suspended for so long is because the results were disastrous.

Yeah it was a really retarded thing for avery to say on national TV, but a suspension for it? If anything they should've just not called instigator on the other guy if he chooses to take it up personally on the ice...

Old
01-08-2010, 02:46 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

This sucks. lol Torts is funny when he's pissed and starts cussing. Oh well...
Be interesting to see how he fights himself when he's really angry as he tries to avoid foul language.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Bettman is a lawyer who probably has never taken a shift in a game at any point in his life. Not that you need to be a former player to be an effective leader, but sometimes it seems like the game is foreign to him and his priorities are way out of order.
Yeah, be a guy who's gotten slashed in the face and suddenly words on TV don't seem that bad

Old
01-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Once again, the NHL is acting a little hypersensitive and is overreacting to something that would not be an issue in the other professional sports leagues.

First it was the "sloppy seconds" comment, which was essentially an excuse to suspend Avery, and now the profanity ban. I don't think the NFL was freaking out over Jim Mora's or Dennis Green's profanity-laced tirades.

It would be nice if Bettman exercised the same diligence in making an effort to curb hits to the head as he does with silly things like "sloppy seconds" and cursing.
Actually Mora never cursed in that tirade, and Green said Bull-**** twice. Not really 'laced'.

Quote:
Yup.

Actually it was a great precedent. This isn't the WWE, that kind of 'smack talk' doesnt belong in pro sports, if you allow it imagine what kind of precedent THAT sets.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:52 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Actually Mora never cursed in that tirade, and Green said Bull-**** twice. Not really 'laced'.

Actually it was a great precedent. This isn't the WWE, that kind of 'smack talk' doesnt belong in pro sports, if you allow it imagine what kind of precedent THAT sets.
If the league is going to penalize players for vulgar comments, fine, whatever, I may not agree with the severity of it but I understand. But to make words appear more serious than violent actions on-ice seems misguided at best and ludicrous at worst.

Old
01-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

should've been a 1 game suspension + fine max, just to send a message that it's inappropriate.

That's already pretty severe for just saying something.

Old
01-08-2010, 02:56 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
should've been a 1 game suspension + fine max, just to send a message that it's inappropriate.

That's already pretty severe for just saying something.
Yeah. As it was, 1 game for being vulgar, 5 games for being Sean Avery.

Old
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
This sucks. lol Torts is an embarassment when he's pissed and starts cussing. Oh well...
fixed it for you.

Though I agree with the second part of your statement. Clenched tight lips and a rising red face. HE'S GONNA BLOW HIDE BEHIND BROOKSIE!!!

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

Ok, If you're a player, would you rather have a guy talk crap about you on TV? Or would you rather have him slash you in the face with his stick?

This is setting a precedent that the latter is more acceptable then the former.

Old
01-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I disagree.

This has everything to do with the way you want the game perceived and the way sponsors want to be perceived as supporters of it. Neither wants to be associated with loose-cannon vulgarity artists who can't control their own emotions. This isn't John Tortorella losing his mind on his free time, in his house. He's doing it while representing the game, the team and the sponsors on the wall behind him during these press conferences.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:00 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Ok, If you're a player, would you rather have a guy talk crap about you on TV? Or would you rather have him slash you in the face with his stick?

This is setting a precedent that the latter is more acceptable then the former.
The more dangerous precedent being set is not letting players police themselves and arbitrary suspensions/fines handed out by Buttman and Colon. Players get mad, if you dont let them fight, its McSorley or Bertuzzi all over again (also see: instigator rule). But this is another discussion all together so i wont get into it anymore in this thread).

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote