HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Souray To Caps

Old
01-08-2010, 11:23 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Souray has NTC
We're not trading the heart of the team unless it's for something worthwhile!
While I understand the "something worthwhile" thing...why mention the NTC?

Would Souray really turn down a trade to a legitimate contender as compared to staying with Edmonton? I know he's an Alberta guy and all...but really?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 11:35 AM
copperandblue

If the Oilers are offering Souray and a pick for those guys, Washington should jump on it. Judging from Tambellini's GMing so far, the pick would likely be Edmonton's 2010 first rounder.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
If the Oilers are offering Souray and a pick for those guys, Washington should jump on it. Judging from Tambellini's GMing so far, the pick would likely be Edmonton's 2010 first rounder.
Because he's made such horrible trades so far?
Posted via Mobile Device

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 11:59 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Souray's good for a few things the Caps could use but his contract is too big and too long for this team.

The Caps will get someone (Kubina would be ideal, I think) but they will be a rental or MAYBE be signed for one more year.

There's too much to do in the offseason with the core players to commit that kind of money/term to one guy who may or may not work out. This will not happen because of Souray's contract.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:00 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Because he's made such horrible trades so far?
Posted via Mobile Device
He hasn't made any good trades so far but more to the point he hasn't shown he has a pulse on what this team needs, a plan to impliment or the ability to execute it.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:24 PM
GRIZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
This trade actually makes sense on a number of levels. Firstly, the Caps are obviously looking at making a run and desire a PP dman and Souray is that. The Oilers need future considerations, and a goalie who at least in name keeps hopes up in Edmonton. They make it look like they're trying, while not hurting their chances at getting Hall, Seguin, Fowler. But Thoedore at this point is a cap chip for sure. Della Rovere and Fehr are what the deal is all about for Edmonton. Picks would have to be messed with to even it out, but I think this makes a lot of sense.
As An Oilers Fan, I do this in a heartbeat

GRIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 04:24 PM
pman25

I think caps would be better off going after Kaberle or Kubina.

Souray is good, but he is more expensive and signed to a longer term, whereas Kubina is a ufa after this year and Kaberle is signed through 2011, and he is better and cheaper.People say Washington needs a shutdown guy, but I don't really see any shutdown guys available, maybe Sarich? I seriously doubt Ottawa would give up Volchenkov if they are in the playoff race.

My point being is that the caps can pursue cheaper, better defensemen than Souray.

pman25 is offline   Reply With Quote