HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Mass. Speaker wants annual outdoor Bruins game

Old
01-07-2010, 08:40 PM
kaiser matias

vCash: 500
Mass. Speaker wants annual outdoor Bruins game

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=512788

Apparently Massachusetts House Speaker Robert DeLeo sent a letter to Bettman stating this:

Quote:
"For the NHL, maintaining a permanent outdoor presence in Boston could help to both solidify the league's base in our area and help ensure a healthy future for the game," DeLeo wrote in the letter. "It is my hope that this event can be recreated -- even if not on New Year's Day, of course -- in the years ahead. As last week's game showed, fans in Boston -- the ‘Hub of Hockey' and the best sports town in America -- are eager to support an outdoor hockey game year after year."
Obviously the NHL won't go for that, but it is interesting that the Massachusetts state government looked so highly towards the game to want to have it yearly.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 09:00 PM
ChicoEats
Formerly Ziggyluc

They could continue you with more outdoor college games like the ones tomorrow.

ChicoEats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 09:47 PM
SilverSeven

I know that I have always thought of Boston as the hub of hockey and the best sports town in America

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:26 PM
dafoomie
blinding rage

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
They could start playing the Beanpot outdoors, thats 4 games. They'd never be able to pay for it without the Bruins playing one too though.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:28 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Bettman addressed this during the NHL Hour today. (As you'd expect, non-committal, vanilla response made publicly )

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Badger36

I think itd be really cool if a lot more cities that have the weather to support an outdoor rink had outdoor stadiums.
Perhaps some people think that hockey fans wouldnt go to game outside on a regular basis, but with how popular the winter classic is and with how many colleges are having outdoor games, clearly there is an interest in outdoor hockey.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:48 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
I think itd be really cool if a lot more cities that have the weather to support an outdoor rink had outdoor stadiums.
Perhaps some people think that hockey fans wouldnt go to game outside on a regular basis, but with how popular the winter classic is and with how many colleges are having outdoor games, clearly there is an interest in outdoor hockey.
They might be this popular because they are once a year.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
They might be this popular because they are once a year.
Perhaps. Its debatable whether or not the outdoor games would lose their cool factor if they happened more than once a year. An outdoor rink would be a huge advantage for a northern team when a southern team is in town. Could you imagine a southern team having to play in a place like Minneapolis or Calgary in the dead of winter? LOL
I can tell you that when warm-weather football teams come and play up here in Wisconsin during the late fall or winter, a lot of them dont know how to deal with the cold and its a huge advantage for our teams.

Old
01-08-2010, 04:06 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
Perhaps. Its debatable whether or not the outdoor games would lose their cool factor if they happened more than once a year. An outdoor rink would be a huge advantage for a northern team when a southern team is in town. Could you imagine a southern team having to play in a place like Minneapolis or Calgary in the dead of winter? LOL
I can tell you that when warm-weather football teams come and play up here in Wisconsin during the late fall or winter, a lot of them dont know how to deal with the cold and its a huge advantage for our teams.
And the disadvantage would be fans sitting in freezing temperatures for 10-30 games in some markets. Not that I have anything against it, but what if it's -25 (celsius) outside? Do you think parents want to take their kids and sit there for three hours a night. It may work for football in some markets, but they have a much shorter schedule.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanker View Post
And the disadvantage would be fans sitting in freezing temperatures for 10-30 games in some markets. Not that I have anything against it, but what if it's -25 (celsius) outside? Do you think parents want to take their kids and sit there for three hours a night. It may work for football in some markets, but they have a much shorter schedule.
True, but people who live in those markets are used to the cold. Sitting in the cold like that for hours is no big deal. You just gotta dress for the cold.