HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prince Chad

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2010, 06:39 PM
  #101
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS
 
ryan41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Monmouth County, NJ
Country: Ireland
Posts: 604
vCash: 500
aaron voros led the league in points at one point....just saying.

ryan41 is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 06:41 PM
  #102
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 500
Vali was 1.00 in his first game this year. Let's trade both lundqvist and johnson. What do we need them for?

Hockey Team is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 06:45 PM
  #103
NYRangers84
Registered User
 
NYRangers84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
Vali was 1.00 in his first game this year. Let's trade both lundqvist and johnson. What do we need them for?
Vali is a career backup and possibly career AHLer now. Johnson is a rookie with great potential yet we just throw him to the side and label him as a backup forever..

NYRangers84 is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 06:48 PM
  #104
NYRangers84
Registered User
 
NYRangers84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
I'm tired of arguing if my point isn't coming across. I'm gonna say this as simple as possible: Lundqvist is our starter for sure ATM but if Johnson proves that he is capable of being a starter too then it wouldn't be so bad of an idea to consider trading Lundqvist for scorer(s) we desperately need. That's it.
This might be a long shot so in NO WAY am I saying this is something we do now. Obviously we have a lot more of Johnson to see before we can make that assessment so lets just root for our team and whatever happens hopefully will benefit them.

NYRangers84 is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 06:50 PM
  #105
DBone19
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
I'd just like to say I was the first one to say how good Johnson would be. I've watched him since he was 16 and I knew he'd be a good goalie in the NHL.

DBone19 is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 06:55 PM
  #106
NYR MacTruck
Registered User
 
NYR MacTruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 380
vCash: 500
I cannot believe this is a thread

NYR MacTruck is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 07:06 PM
  #107
Jim Morrison
Registered User
 
Jim Morrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers84 View Post
I'm tired of arguing if my point isn't coming across. I'm gonna say this as simple as possible: Lundqvist is our starter for sure ATM but if Johnson proves that he is capable of being a starter too then it wouldn't be so bad of an idea to consider trading Lundqvist for scorer(s) we desperately need. That's it.
This might be a long shot so in NO WAY am I saying this is something we do now. Obviously we have a lot more of Johnson to see before we can make that assessment so lets just root for our team and whatever happens hopefully will benefit them.
ah the good ol' mystery box


Jim Morrison is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 07:34 PM
  #108
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Monglobster View Post
People saying Johnson played only decent are downplaying his game a little bit. His positioning was really good, and he made some difficult saves look easy (no not the blocker save Michelletti was talking about).

For his first NHL game he looked very impressive, he kept his cool and did not look out of place by any means. At times he was the only reason the Rangers kept the lead when his team was being outworked.

Does this mean he will pass Lundqvist at some point in his career? I really don't think so. But hopefully it does mean that we have someone who can play 20 games a year and give us a chance to win.
I'm not downplaying chad's game last night. He made some great saves. But he definitely did have a lot of luck and if you want to ignore that fact then I cant do anything about that. I would be saying the same thing if it was lundqvist in net last night. You got a pass across to an open Peverly (i think it was him) from bogosian and he didnt get all of the shot which gave chad time to get over. And again kovalchuk in the shootout was terrible, i still dont know what he was thinking. Atlanta really did not test him much last night until the end of the game. For first half they were barely shooting and when they were they had already passed themselves out of a good scoring position. He was exposed on the 5-hole too easily and yeah that needs work.

I think chad did great for his first NHL game...BUT to come on here and start projecting he is going to take henrik's job in the near future, is sheer stupidity. And its not because Henrik is God, because he has problems going down too early and getting beat up high...he's not god to us, or me at least,...its the fact that henrik lundqvist a proven NHL netminder who has been a vezina nominee. Henrik has single handedly carried this team the past few seasons. Chad Johnson has played ONE NHL game...ONE. And it was against an atlanta thrasher team that has some talent but did not impress me at all with the way they played. Lets see how chad does when he's put in against a more dangerous team such as the capitals or penguins before we start penciling him for the number one job.

RGY is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 07:50 PM
  #109
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On
 
HabsHockey*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers84 View Post
Judging from the kids history at every level he's played at and his performance in preseason and his solid game last night, I think Chad can either become just as good if not better than Lundqvist in the near future. I'm just being honest here but I'm not saying trade Lundqvist right away...
When did you guys get Price?

HabsHockey* is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 08:21 PM
  #110
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 31,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers84 View Post
Vali is a career backup and possibly career AHLer now. Johnson is a rookie with great potential yet we just throw him to the side and label him as a backup forever..

Yet Penguins traded him within the division for a 5th rounder. Lucky us.

darko is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 09:35 PM
  #111
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers84 View Post
I'm tired of arguing if my point isn't coming across. I'm gonna say this as simple as possible: Lundqvist is our starter for sure ATM but if Johnson proves that he is capable of being a starter too then it wouldn't be so bad of an idea to consider trading Lundqvist for scorer(s) we desperately need. That's it.
This might be a long shot so in NO WAY am I saying this is something we do now. Obviously we have a lot more of Johnson to see before we can make that assessment so lets just root for our team and whatever happens hopefully will benefit them.
It's not that your point is coming across, its just that most people don't agree with it. If Johnson turns out to be good, too good to be a backup per se, why not trade HIM and keep our 3 time vezina nominated goalie who has an olympic gold medal and has never played a season in the NHL without winning at least 30 games? The chances of Chad doing any of those things are very, very slight. Not because he doesn't look promising, but because few goalies ever do those things and few goalies the caliber of Hank are in the league at all. To me, Johnson showing that he has what it takes to be a starter says that we have a valuable trading piece in him, not in hank, just because hank is more than a starter, he's the kind of talent that rarely comes along and getting rid of him would be insane. To each his own though.

haveandare is online now  
Old
01-08-2010, 09:49 PM
  #112
TheHotRock
Registered User
 
TheHotRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 2,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
It's not that your point is coming across, its just that most people don't agree with it. If Johnson turns out to be good, too good to be a backup per se, why not trade HIM and keep our 3 time vezina nominated goalie who has an olympic gold medal and has never played a season in the NHL without winning at least 30 games? The chances of Chad doing any of those things are very, very slight. Not because he doesn't look promising, but because few goalies ever do those things and few goalies the caliber of Hank are in the league at all. To me, Johnson showing that he has what it takes to be a starter says that we have a valuable trading piece in him, not in hank, just because hank is more than a starter, he's the kind of talent that rarely comes along and getting rid of him would be insane. To each his own though.
there's really a lot of quality goaltending available these days. there's a good chance a ufa like pekka rinne gets signed for under 3 mil this summer.

would it be so asinine to consider the notion of platooning him with a guy like johnson and trying to move lundqvist for a 40 goal scorer?



for the record, i do not advocate any of this, i just feel that it is very natural for some to be having these feelings.

TheHotRock is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 10:00 PM
  #113
John Torturella
Registered User
 
John Torturella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
This is the most hysterical thread on here and that is saying a lot. What has Johnson proven in this league that he has a chance to be half as good as Henrik Lundqvist?

Henrik has been a major part of our post lockout success and has been an absolute workhorse. The guy has not even entered his prime. Thats what you folks (sorry to generalize) dont seem to understand. It takes a while for most goalies to develop.

Henrik was a special case. He had success from his first game on. Most guys struggle for seasons before becoming top starters. Johnson might not become a 1A goalie for 3 years if ever. Henrik already is one.

Its amazing how unintelligent this board can be. Next start he could get bombed and we would be waiving him...............

John Torturella is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 10:15 PM
  #114
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
there's really a lot of quality goaltending available these days. there's a good chance a ufa like pekka rinne gets signed for under 3 mil this summer.

would it be so asinine to consider the notion of platooning him with a guy like johnson and trying to move lundqvist for a 40 goal scorer?



for the record, i do not advocate any of this, i just feel that it is very natural for some to be having these feelings.
Why not move Johnson then?

If some want to move Lundqvist because they believe he will net a 40 goal scorer, then it means that they think Lundqvist carries more value than Johnson. So why not keep the better goaltender in Lundqvist?

The Rangers don't have a problem with their starting goaltender. Other teams do. It's why teams like Ottawa platoon Leclaire and Elliott.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Lundqvist is one of the top goalies in the league and there's no reason to consider trading him.

OverTheCap is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 10:15 PM
  #115
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers84 View Post
Vali is a career backup and possibly career AHLer now. Johnson is a rookie with great potential yet we just throw him to the side and label him as a backup forever..
I was being sarcastic...

If Johnson shows promise of being a good starter he could be traded for a good forward + backup..

Hockey Team is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 10:22 PM
  #116
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers84 View Post
Johnson is a rookie with great potential yet we just throw him to the side and label him as a backup forever..
He won't be a backup forever... And he won't be a Rangers starter as long as Lundqvist is on the Rangers and unless some freak injury happens to Lundqvist, and it takes him out for a while, and "Prince Chad" plays so well that Lundqvist is going have to win back his job.

Johnson won't be Ranger for more than two years. We'll eventually trade him because we have Lundqvist.

Florida Ranger is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 10:24 PM
  #117
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
I was being sarcastic...

If Johnson shows promise of being a good starter he could be traded for a good forward + backup..
Exactly. There's no way in hell he takes Lundqvist's job just because he's young and shows promise. His value will be real high because of that, so, like you said, trade for a decent foward and a backup.

Florida Ranger is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 10:26 PM
  #118
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Is it me, or does anyone else think this is sickening that some think Johnson's going to take over Hank's throne?

Florida Ranger is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 10:29 PM
  #119
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Its amazing how unintelligent this board can be. Next start he could get bombed and we would be waiving him...............
Those people make me wanna punch my ****ing monitor with the **** they're coming up with.

Florida Ranger is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 10:29 PM
  #120
NYRangers84
Registered User
 
NYRangers84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
Is it me, or does anyone else think this is sickening that some think Johnson's going to take over Hank's throne?
Of course, you would have to get a new user name

NYRangers84 is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 10:32 PM
  #121
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
Is it me, or does anyone else think this is sickening that some think Johnson's going to take over Hank's throne?
It's partially the HFBoards mentality of overvaluing prospects at the expense of a proven commodity.

Throw in some Lundqvist haters and some really big Chad Johnson fans and then you have this thread.

OverTheCap is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 10:35 PM
  #122
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers84 View Post
Of course, you would have to get a new user name
ha
ha?

Florida Ranger is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 10:38 PM
  #123
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
It's partially the HFBoards mentality of overvaluing prospects at the expense of a proven commodity.

Throw in some Lundqvist haters and some really big Chad Johnson fans and then you have this thread.
Oh, I see that. It's such a joke.

Florida Ranger is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 10:58 PM
  #124
ocarina
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,415
vCash: 500
I love the guy and think we potentially got a steal in trading a 5th rounder for him, but what do people see in Johnson that makes them think he could overtake Lundy?

As mentioned before, his 5-hole looked weak. But for me, his reflexes looked a bit on the sluggish side at times. Sometimes, he didn't seem to react to a shot naturally (at least the way Lundqvist does). He is an example of the new kind of goalie in today's game, a big guy with pretty good lateral movement who knows how to position himself and let the puck do the work. What separates him from a guy like Lundy though, is that he doesn't seem to have the natural athleticism and talent to come up with big saves the way a #1 goalie would.

I don't mean to mean to devalue him or anything, but I don't see how he as of now can project as a legitimate starter in this league, let alone overtake a guy as good as Lundqvist. If he turns out to be a good back-up guy who can give his team a chance to win every time he plays and give Lundy a break, then I think we did pretty damn good for ourselves.

ocarina is offline  
Old
01-08-2010, 11:44 PM
  #125
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 500
I'd agree he needs to work on the 5-hole.

I think that breakaway shot that went in was between the legs, and so was the shot in the shootout

Needs to be a bit quicker with dropping down.

And quit bringing up what was traded for or what round someone was picked in. That's irrelevant. Don't forget, lundqvist was a 7th round pick who almost didn't even make it to the NHL, and look at where he is now. Probably the best late round pick ever.

There's plenty of 1st round picks who never even play in the NHL, so who cares what was paid for johnson.

Hockey Team is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.