HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prince Chad

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2010, 06:39 PM
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS

vCash: 500
aaron voros led the league in points at one point....just saying.

Old
01-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Vali was 1.00 in his first game this year. Let's trade both lundqvist and johnson. What do we need them for?

Old
01-08-2010, 06:45 PM
NYRangers84

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
Vali was 1.00 in his first game this year. Let's trade both lundqvist and johnson. What do we need them for?
Vali is a career backup and possibly career AHLer now. Johnson is a rookie with great potential yet we just throw him to the side and label him as a backup forever..

Old
01-08-2010, 06:48 PM
NYRangers84

I'm tired of arguing if my point isn't coming across. I'm gonna say this as simple as possible: Lundqvist is our starter for sure ATM but if Johnson proves that he is capable of being a starter too then it wouldn't be so bad of an idea to consider trading Lundqvist for scorer(s) we desperately need. That's it.
This might be a long shot so in NO WAY am I saying this is something we do now. Obviously we have a lot more of Johnson to see before we can make that assessment so lets just root for our team and whatever happens hopefully will benefit them.

Old
01-08-2010, 06:50 PM
DBone19

I'd just like to say I was the first one to say how good Johnson would be. I've watched him since he was 16 and I knew he'd be a good goalie in the NHL.

Old
01-08-2010, 06:55 PM
NYR MacTruck

I cannot believe this is a thread

Old
01-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers84 View Post
I'm tired of arguing if my point isn't coming across. I'm gonna say this as simple as possible: Lundqvist is our starter for sure ATM but if Johnson proves that he is capable of being a starter too then it wouldn't be so bad of an idea to consider trading Lundqvist for scorer(s) we desperately need. That's it.
This might be a long shot so in NO WAY am I saying this is something we do now. Obviously we have a lot more of Johnson to see before we can make that assessment so lets just root for our team and whatever happens hopefully will benefit them.
ah the good ol' mystery box

Old
01-08-2010, 07:34 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Monglobster View Post
People saying Johnson played only decent are downplaying his game a little bit. His positioning was really good, and he made some difficult saves look easy (no not the blocker save Michelletti was talking about).

For his first NHL game he looked very impressive, he kept his cool and did not look out of place by any means. At times he was the only reason the Rangers kept the lead when his team was being outworked.

Does this mean he will pass Lundqvist at some point in his career? I really don't think so. But hopefully it does mean that we have someone who can play 20 games a year and give us a chance to win.
I'm not downplaying chad's game last night. He made some great saves. But he definitely did have a lot of luck and if you want to ignore that fact then I cant do anything about that. I would be saying the same thing if it was lundqvist in net last night. You got a pass across to an open Peverly (i think it was him) from bogosian and he didnt get all of the shot which gave chad time to get over. And again kovalchuk in the shootout was terrible, i still dont know what he was thinking. Atlanta really did not test him much last night until the end of the game. For first half they were barely shooting and when they were they had already passed themselves out of a good scoring position. He was exposed on the 5-hole too easily and yeah that needs work.

I think chad did great for his first NHL game...BUT to come on here and start projecting he is going to take henrik's job in the near future, is sheer stupidity. And its not because Henrik is God, because he has problems going down too early and getting beat up high...he's not god to us, or me at least,...its the fact that henrik lundqvist a proven NHL netminder who has been a vezina nominee. Henrik has single handedly carried this team the past few seasons. Chad Johnson has played ONE NHL game...ONE. And it was against an atlanta thrasher team that has some talent but did not impress me at all with the way they played. Lets see how chad does when he's put in against a more dangerous team such as the capitals or penguins before we start penciling him for the number one job.

Old
01-08-2010, 07:50 PM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

Quote:
Judging from the kids history at every level he's played at and his performance in preseason and his solid game last night, I think Chad can either become just as good if not better than Lundqvist in the near future. I'm just being honest here but I'm not saying trade Lundqvist right away...
When did you guys get Price?

Old
01-08-2010, 08:21 PM
darko

Quote:
Vali is a career backup and possibly career AHLer now. Johnson is a rookie with great potential yet we just throw him to the side and label him as a backup forever..

Yet Penguins traded him within the division for a 5th rounder. Lucky us.

Old
01-08-2010, 09:35 PM
haveandare

Quote:
It's not that your point is coming across, its just that most people don't agree with it. If Johnson turns out to be good, too good to be a backup per se, why not trade HIM and keep our 3 time vezina nominated goalie who has an olympic gold medal and has never played a season in the NHL without winning at least 30 games? The chances of Chad doing any of those things are very, very slight. Not because he doesn't look promising, but because few goalies ever do those things and few goalies the caliber of Hank are in the league at all. To me, Johnson showing that he has what it takes to be a starter says that we have a valuable trading piece in him, not in hank, just because hank is more than a starter, he's the kind of talent that rarely comes along and getting rid of him would be insane. To each his own though.

Old
01-08-2010, 09:49 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
It's not that your point is coming across, its just that most people don't agree with it. If Johnson turns out to be good, too good to be a backup per se, why not trade HIM and keep our 3 time vezina nominated goalie who has an olympic gold medal and has never played a season in the NHL without winning at least 30 games? The chances of Chad doing any of those things are very, very slight. Not because he doesn't look promising, but because few goalies ever do those things and few goalies the caliber of Hank are in the league at all. To me, Johnson showing that he has what it takes to be a starter says that we have a valuable trading piece in him, not in hank, just because hank is more than a starter, he's the kind of talent that rarely comes along and getting rid of him would be insane. To each his own though.
there's really a lot of quality goaltending available these days. there's a good chance a ufa like pekka rinne gets signed for under 3 mil this summer.

would it be so asinine to consider the notion of platooning him with a guy like johnson and trying to move lundqvist for a 40 goal scorer?

for the record, i do not advocate any of this, i just feel that it is very natural for some to be having these feelings.

Old
01-08-2010, 10:00 PM
John Torturella

This is the most hysterical thread on here and that is saying a lot. What has Johnson proven in this league that he has a chance to be half as good as Henrik Lundqvist?

Henrik has been a major part of our post lockout success and has been an absolute workhorse. The guy has not even entered his prime. Thats what you folks (sorry to generalize) dont seem to understand. It takes a while for most goalies to develop.

Henrik was a special case. He had success from his first game on. Most guys struggle for seasons before becoming top starters. Johnson might not become a 1A goalie for 3 years if ever. Henrik already is one.

Its amazing how unintelligent this board can be. Next start he could get bombed and we would be waiving him...............

Old
01-08-2010, 10:15 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
there's really a lot of quality goaltending available these days. there's a good chance a ufa like pekka rinne gets signed for under 3 mil this summer.

would it be so asinine to consider the notion of platooning him with a guy like johnson and trying to move lundqvist for a 40 goal scorer?

for the record, i do not advocate any of this, i just feel that it is very natural for some to be having these feelings.
Why not move Johnson then?

If some want to move Lundqvist because they believe he will net a 40 goal scorer, then it means that they think Lundqvist carries more value than Johnson. So why not keep the better goaltender in Lundqvist?

The Rangers don't have a problem with their starting goaltender. Other teams do. It's why teams like Ottawa platoon Leclaire and Elliott.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Lundqvist is one of the top goalies in the league and there's no reason to consider trading him.

Old
01-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
I was being sarcastic...

If Johnson shows promise of being a good starter he could be traded for a good forward + backup..

Old
01-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Johnson is a rookie with great potential yet we just throw him to the side and label him as a backup forever..
He won't be a backup forever... And he won't be a Rangers starter as long as Lundqvist is on the Rangers and unless some freak injury happens to Lundqvist, and it takes him out for a while, and "Prince Chad" plays so well that Lundqvist is going have to win back his job.

Johnson won't be Ranger for more than two years. We'll eventually trade him because we have Lundqvist.

Old
01-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
I was being sarcastic...

If Johnson shows promise of being a good starter he could be traded for a good forward + backup..
Exactly. There's no way in hell he takes Lundqvist's job just because he's young and shows promise. His value will be real high because of that, so, like you said, trade for a decent foward and a backup.

Old
01-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Is it me, or does anyone else think this is sickening that some think Johnson's going to take over Hank's throne?

Old
01-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Its amazing how unintelligent this board can be. Next start he could get bombed and we would be waiving him...............
Those people make me wanna punch my ****ing monitor with the **** they're coming up with.

Old
01-08-2010, 10:29 PM
NYRangers84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
Is it me, or does anyone else think this is sickening that some think Johnson's going to take over Hank's throne?
Of course, you would have to get a new user name

Old
01-08-2010, 10:32 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
It's partially the HFBoards mentality of overvaluing prospects at the expense of a proven commodity.

Throw in some Lundqvist haters and some really big Chad Johnson fans and then you have this thread.

Old
01-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Of course, you would have to get a new user name
ha
ha?

Old
01-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
It's partially the HFBoards mentality of overvaluing prospects at the expense of a proven commodity.

Throw in some Lundqvist haters and some really big Chad Johnson fans and then you have this thread.
Oh, I see that. It's such a joke.

Old
01-08-2010, 10:58 PM
ocarina

I love the guy and think we potentially got a steal in trading a 5th rounder for him, but what do people see in Johnson that makes them think he could overtake Lundy?

As mentioned before, his 5-hole looked weak. But for me, his reflexes looked a bit on the sluggish side at times. Sometimes, he didn't seem to react to a shot naturally (at least the way Lundqvist does). He is an example of the new kind of goalie in today's game, a big guy with pretty good lateral movement who knows how to position himself and let the puck do the work. What separates him from a guy like Lundy though, is that he doesn't seem to have the natural athleticism and talent to come up with big saves the way a #1 goalie would.

I don't mean to mean to devalue him or anything, but I don't see how he as of now can project as a legitimate starter in this league, let alone overtake a guy as good as Lundqvist. If he turns out to be a good back-up guy who can give his team a chance to win every time he plays and give Lundy a break, then I think we did pretty damn good for ourselves.

Old
01-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

I'd agree he needs to work on the 5-hole.

I think that breakaway shot that went in was between the legs, and so was the shot in the shootout

Needs to be a bit quicker with dropping down.

And quit bringing up what was traded for or what round someone was picked in. That's irrelevant. Don't forget, lundqvist was a 7th round pick who almost didn't even make it to the NHL, and look at where he is now. Probably the best late round pick ever.

There's plenty of 1st round picks who never even play in the NHL, so who cares what was paid for johnson.

Closed Thread