HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Now Tortorella is the one on a leash

Old
01-08-2010, 04:50 PM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
LAME. Pussification of America. Another step towards completely taking all emotion and passion out of the NHL.
Yeah!

Let's make the NHL like the NFL and NBA, where men are men, where players carry loaded guns in the locker room and players routinely assault people in the streets.

The NHL is *********. The players should be allowed to attach razor blades to their sticks and gloves and if a few guys die, so what? It's better than being *********!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Yeah!

Let's make the NHL like the NFL and NBA, where men are men, where players carry loaded guns in the locker room and players routinely assault people in the streets.

The NHL is *********. The players should be allowed to attach razor blades to their sticks and gloves and if a few guys die, so what? It's better than being *********!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, god forbid someone in the media hears Torts say a naughty word.
We can't put their lives at risk like that.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 04:57 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Journalists aren't part of the league.
You actually answered that seriously? And if they wanted to do something about journalists they could. Who do you think gives them the pass to get into the conference?

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
This has to make you laugh no?

Say sloppy seconds to the media you get banished for half a year and put into a mental ward. Yet these great quotes get a warning?

"Sweden can go PUCK themselves." Mikael Samuelsson

"I don't PUCKIN know why we suck" Torts

"The Flames can go PUCK off" Theo Fleury

"You haven't scored in ten PUCKIN games" -Ron Wilson

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
I wonder if you actually said puck on TV in that context if you'd get bleeped lol

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:39 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I disagree. If I saw Wade Redden walking towards a puddle I would lay my jacket over it, like I would for any lady.
Post of week.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:43 PM
pwoz

Political correctness is a cancer.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:51 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Not swearing or using foul language is not political correctness.

01-08-2010, 06:15 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
People constantly crying about political correctness when they don't even understand what it is is a pandemic.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 06:37 PM
MrAlfie

aaaaww ****ing ****!

Un****ingbelievable! Don't these mother****ing *******s have much more important **** to do?

But seriously, America the beautiful.
I love this country, I really do. I love living here and I like the people and everything but the fact that people cry over profane language and female nipples on tv yet at the same time it is okay to show heads being chopped off people being sliced open is perfectly fine is laughable.

I don't curse much if even at all but I don't take offense if people talk that way. I guess some hypocrite complained and the NHL was kind of bored so they came up with this crap.

P.S.: I little off topic, but a couple of weeks ago I watched True Lies on regular TV in the states for the first time ever, I couldn't stop laughing when they ruined the best scene and pretty much the only scene worth watching in this movie when the blurred out Jamie Lee Curtis ass in a thong. Really?
Oh the humanity...
I wish south park or any other show would dedicate a complete episode to profanity spewing nipples and butts.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
... but the fact that people cry over profane language and female nipples on tv yet at the same time it is okay to show heads being chopped off people being sliced open is perfectly fine is laughable.

I don't curse much if even at all but I don't take offense if people talk that way. I guess some hypocrite complained and the NHL was kind of bored so they came up with this crap...
Pretty much this. This is the part I have never understood about US culture, it completely baffles me. It's the bible belt's fault I guess.

I am also of the opinion that cursing is a part of ordinary language, as it can be a strong expression to show others how upset you are, or how extreme the situation was. Curse too much though and your language gets watered down. The old myth "those who curse are illiterate, dumb and have a small vocabulary," is ridiculous. That's sort of what you can see on a painting in some old - soon to be retired - teacher's office in a public school in Sweden.

Like seriously. Parents complaining that their kids might learn foul language from TV. Well, do they go to kindergarden? Do they interact with other children? Then they are cursing anyway dammit. It's a natural child process to say forbidden things (like cursing) in the development of a child. The same to learn how babies are made. I fail to see what's so terrifying about it? Sure, a child shouldn't insult others or overuse cursing for the sake of testing their parents' patience, but like cursing when your thumb gets smashed by a hammer, your car is on fire or you're the coach of a bunch of idiots? Fine, by all means, vent your frustration.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-08-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
But seriously, America the beautiful.
I love this country, I really do. I love living here and I like the people and everything but the fact that people cry over profane language and female nipples on tv yet at the same time it is okay to show heads being chopped off people being sliced open is perfectly fine is laughable.

I don't curse much if even at all but I don't take offense if people talk that way. I guess some hypocrite complained and the NHL was kind of bored so they came up with this crap.
Are you guys kidding me? The sentiments in this thread are essentially that the NHL should take a page out the book of radial terrorists and all "metrosexuals" should be killed because cursing is not in line with the image the NHL is trying to align itself with?

There's no cursing on this website, yet everyone here is able to find a way to deal with it.

This has NOTHING to do with US culture, or "manly-ness", or any of the other BS coming from the top of soap boxes here. It's about etiquette in the business world and having some degree of professionalism and pride in the product you're putting out.

Chimp, I'd love for you to be on the other end of the phone call from the CEO of Brand Management @ Honda and explain to him how regular uncontrolled explosions of vulgarity are benefitting him and the 3 year commitment he made as the largest corporate sponsor to the NHL. It's as far from the image Honda wants for itself as it is for the NHL.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 08:11 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I disagree.

This has everything to do with the way you want the game perceived and the way sponsors want to be perceived as supporters of it. Neither wants to be associated with loose-cannon vulgarity artists who can't control their own emotions. This isn't John Tortorella losing his mind on his free time, in his house. He's doing it while representing the game, the team and the sponsors on the wall behind him during these press conferences.
This.

I don't curse in meetings at work because it's not the appropriate forum for that kind of language. It's called being professional.

If Torts can't say what he feels in a press conference without swearing, then maybe he needs some anger management.

David Stern made players wear suits when traveling, so the comments about "this wouldn't happen in other leagues" is flat out wrong. And look at how hard Goodell has come down on players who get into trouble off the field.

Like it or not, image matters.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 09:23 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Are you guys kidding me? The sentiments in this thread are essentially that the NHL should take a page out the book of radial terrorists and all "metrosexuals" should be killed because cursing is not in line with the image the NHL is trying to align itself with?

There's no cursing on this website, yet everyone here is able to find a way to deal with it.

This has NOTHING to do with US culture, or "manly-ness", or any of the other BS coming from the top of soap boxes here. It's about etiquette in the business world and having some degree of professionalism and pride in the product you're putting out.

Chimp, I'd love for you to be on the other end of the phone call from the CEO of Brand Management @ Honda and explain to him how regular uncontrolled explosions of vulgarity are benefitting him and the 3 year commitment he made as the largest corporate sponsor to the NHL. It's as far from the image Honda wants for itself as it is for the NHL.
Agree 100%. Regardless of whether the NHL puts in a rule or not, the fact is people should be able to conduct themselves in a professional setting like a press conference. Rangers fans should be ashamed when they see their head coach cussing like he has no regard for the situation he finds himself. This isn't the locker room or ice where he can say whatever he wants to his players, this is live television and it is assumed you are not going to cuss. Having him not curse in a press conference does not in any way effect how his players perform, and the fact that the NHL has to issue statements for what should be 100% obvious is so silly.

I highly doubt the people who don't mind him cussing would be swearing to the public in a similar situation.

If Torts did it once or twice, that is fine, we all loose our cool once in a while, but right now it's getting a little ridiculous.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 10:07 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
Agree 100%. Regardless of whether the NHL puts in a rule or not, the fact is people should be able to conduct themselves in a professional setting like a press conference. Rangers fans should be ashamed when they see their head coach cussing like he has no regard for the situation he finds himself. This isn't the locker room or ice where he can say whatever he wants to his players, this is live television and it is assumed you are not going to cuss. Having him not curse in a press conference does not in any way effect how his players perform, and the fact that the NHL has to issue statements for what should be 100% obvious is so silly.

I highly doubt the people who don't mind him cussing would be swearing to the public in a similar situation.

If Torts did it once or twice, that is fine, we all loose our cool once in a while, but right now it's getting a little ridiculous.
Aren't they previously taped?

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Agree 100%. Regardless of whether the NHL puts in a rule or not, the fact is people should be able to conduct themselves in a professional setting like a press conference. Rangers fans should be ashamed when they see their head coach cussing like he has no regard for the situation he finds himself.
Why exactly should I be ashamed? A grown man, coaching a professional sports team in America (with that thing called the 1st Amendment), drops an f bomb or a ******** every once in a while, to very accurately describe a situation, and I'm supposed to be ashamed? Why exactly do I care? It's a word...thats all it is. He's not kicking a stray cat, or giving an atomic wedgie to Brooksie here. He's using words that most people use on a regular occurrence when they are conveying their anger.

Also, this is hockey. It's a rough, emotional sport. It's part of the everyday language of hockey players to curse. They aren't high society. They make a living beating the crap out of each other on ice. Coaches aren't any different...they are just old players, after all.

Quote:
This isn't the locker room or ice where he can say whatever he wants to his players, this is live television and it is assumed you are not going to cuss. Having him not curse in a press conference does not in any way effect how his players perform, and the fact that the NHL has to issue statements for what should be 100% obvious is so silly.
Television...the same place where you can watch women objectified on "music" channels and movies depicting murders in gruesome details during prime-time, but someone says 'fack' before 11 and we all get offended...

Also, MSG doesn't seem to mind the cursing all that much. They hype his press conferences more than the actual game. What? They don't have sponsors too? Why isn't Honda complaining to MSG, but only to the NHL.

And if no one assumes someone is going to cuss...then why does MSG have the bleep censors ready. Seems to me that they do assume, and they are perfectly fine with it or they wouldn't air it.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Sloppy Seconds!

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreification View Post
No more swear-filled post games..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=305246
You can't even show some emotion anymore without getting into trouble? That's pretty weak IMO.

****ing party poopers.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

When some of the sproutlings around here grow up they'll get it. Thats if they ever get over the whole 'political correctness', its often blown out of proportion, like some of the reactions in this thread. You have a problem with it in your own life, that has nothing to do with what the NHL is doing here, end of story.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
This has everything to do with the way you want the game perceived and the way sponsors want to be perceived...
Doesn't that say something about how sad it is that it's more about money and sponsorships, and instead of the game of hockey? It's disgusting really.

This is a frivolous and completely unnecessary rule. Of all of the things that need to be addressed about hockey, this is what they are spending their time deliberating over? It's ridiculous. We're all adults (mostly) and the younger fans watching this hear far worse at school WITHOUT editing. Yes, let's give a league built around violent physical play and all out fist fights a clean image by cutting out the foul language during a press conference. I don't even know what else to say about how incredibly stupid this is.

Make sure to keep that smile on your face JT when your team plays 60 minutes of ****. Whatever you do, don't show any emotion and wait until you get in your office to kick the garbage can and call it a terrible piece of **** where your intended message will be completely wasted.

Can a coach be effective at being livid with his team without using profanities? Of course, but everyone has their own style, and to try and force them to do things differently because of an "image" and sponsors is inane.

Edit:

Quote:
Chimp, I'd love for you to be on the other end of the phone call from the CEO of Brand Management @ Honda and explain to him how regular uncontrolled explosions of vulgarity are benefitting him and the 3 year commitment he made as the largest corporate sponsor to the NHL
If Honda wants to sponsor something that is espousing classy gentlemen who represent the "dignified" members of our society they can go cut a deal with golf. Maybe that wholesome family man Tiger Woods will do a spot for... oh wait. They want to advertise in a market of people who will potentially spend their hard earned money on their products, and then they also want to decide how these people should think and feel, by using their monetary leverage to control what they view? Isn't that a bit disturbing to anyone else? (As an example, I'm not necessarily saying Honda was the one breathing down the leagues neck for this.)

This is nothing more than self-righteous rhetoric and it's completely absurd. Intelligence, and vulgarity are not mutually exclusive. You can be both.

Last edited by Ail: 01-09-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 12:00 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

When some of the sproutlings around here grow up they'll get it. Thats if they ever get over the whole 'political correctness', its often blown out of proportion, like some of the reactions in this thread. You have a problem with it in your own life, that has nothing to do with what the NHL is doing here, end of story.
That's weak note. Just because someone disagrees with your opinion doesn't mean he needs to "grow up" and has an immature opinion.

I just turned 29 have a 14 month old kid and will soon face the challenge to make sure my son is not going to adopt this hip hop ghetto slang "Yo wassup homie!".
Like someone else already stated. As soon as a kid gets to school there is no hiding the profanity. F-Bombs will be flying all over the place and a Tortorella PC is absolutely nothing.
It's one thing if you use profanity to express your anger and another thing if you use profanity just to uphold an image.

And I'm not kidding, if you guys get offended by profanity you sure as heck should be offended at violent movies or video games that endanger our children much more than a lousy pc after a hockey game. If not you are hypocrites.

Comparing a CEO to a coach of a hockey team is also not the smartest thing to do. Apples and Oranges.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Heat McManus

Watch your mouth around the media. Really? The sky is falling because of this?

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Chimp

Quote:

Yeah, like the word "frack" in Battlestar Galactica. Cursing is a part of a language, trying to hide it behind some lame filters or *bleeeps* is, simply put, hypocrisy. I personally find it incredibly ridiculous. We are swearing, but are using substitutes that mean the same, because for some odd reason, real swearing is so much worse than the other words that mean the same. Insulting or hurting someone is one thing, cursing as a usage of strong expressional adjectives is another.

I guess Torts will have to learn to say "frack" and "fracking" and he will be fine. Just lol.
Quote:

If he thinks people will buy less Hondas because Torts is cursing in interviews when his team sucks, I've got news for him. If they put up a fat Honda logo in the back, because the Torts interviews are usually more entertaining than the actual, I've got news for him.

This whole corporate, capitalistic, religious world never ends to amaze me at the ridiculousness of things, what is important and what's not. Everyone are too busy being offended by anything and everything, instead of enjoying life. And the almighty Q1-Q4 productivity reports, which are so holy - and so laughable. Perhaps Honda should ask NHL to switch to padded boards as well. We can't have any injuries if Honda is sponsoring the game. No fighting either.

They are the ones who should question what the hell - oh sorry, heck - they want with their exposure with NHL hockey. If they want cars that scream afternoon tea, pullovers, well cut lawns, well balanced, exquisite and well spoken language usage, where it depends on which person who's telling a joke how much you will laugh, perhaps they should've chosen another sport.
Quote:
That's weak note. Just because someone disagrees with your opinion doesn't mean he needs to "grow up" and has an immature opinion.

I just turned 29 have a 14 month old kid and will soon face the challenge to make sure my son is not going to adopt this hip hop ghetto slang "Yo wassup homie!".
Like someone else already stated. As soon as a kid gets to school there is no hiding the profanity. F-Bombs will be flying all over the place and a Tortorella PC is absolutely nothing.
It's one thing if you use profanity to express your anger and another thing if you use profanity just to uphold an image.

And I'm not kidding, if you guys get offended by profanity you sure as heck should be offended at violent movies or video games that endanger our children much more than a lousy pc after a hockey game. If not you are hypocrites.

Comparing a CEO to a coach of a hockey team is also not the smartest thing to do. Apples and Oranges.
I highly agree, writing off opinions as "immaturity" is simply really weak. Some of you want me to give you the phone numbers to numerous language professors (one whom I studied under) who believe profanity and cursing has its place in languages? I mean, if you don't want to listen to 29 year old kids who hold no "real" opinion? Well, listen to the "experts" then. But I guess the real language experts are stuck up Honda CEOs.

I have a question for you all who are so much against the horror of profane language on television and stand behind sponsors and NHL:
If the sponsors are telling NHL to ban fighting - and NHL complies - will you defend that too?

Last edited by Chimp: 01-09-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 03:04 PM
haveandare

The thing that bothers me more than anything is that there was no memo going around about checking people in the face when Booth and Drury were both seriously hurt by careless idiots making those plays, but they send out a memo about not cursing in the post game? Tortorella cursed I think two times in the infamous freak out post game and the other night he let one go about Avery being on a leash. Its not like the guy is letting the profanity fly every time they point a camera at him. Also, how about the broadcast going to the guy between the benches where we can all overhear Avery and a player from the other team screaming profanity at each other? Thats alright? Are there seriously that many wholesome, traditional folks who hate cursing watching hockey? And then, beyond that, watching the post game and even further, getting offended by bleeped out curses? Focus on keeping the players from killing one another first, I say. That says much worse things about the sport than a pissed off coach getting bleeped out twice during a conference.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

You're right about that but lets look at what they're disagreeing with - only a young person could getaway with not understanding why in a professional setting there should be no foul language. If you're 29 and still don't get thats the way things are done then I don't know what to tell ya.

No matter what your job title is, you have to be professional when you're representing the organization that employs you.

Kids going to school and hearing swears/ movies and TV show violence has nothing to do with this.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote