HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spezza?

Old
01-08-2010, 05:14 PM
darko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Great proposal, go post that on the trade board!

hahaha my thoughts exactly.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:30 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Any trade with Ottawa for a decent player would include Dubinsky, first off, they've made it clear they like him. Then they would want prospects to mitigate the fact that the Rangers can only sign Spezza if they send a contract out the other way, too. In addition, the Sens won't want any D-men prospects, because their stable is every bit as stacked as ours (if not more).

So that would end up looking something like:

Dubinsky
Stepan
Roszival
and maybe Werek

...wait a minute, I don't even like Spezza that much, even if the Rangers made sense with Ottawa as a trading partner!

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:52 PM
PCooper

Sens fan, coming in peace:

First off, Spezza's only 26 years old, he is going to be the centrepiece of a "rebuild" if we have one.

Second, this is going to be Spezza's team once Alfredsson retires. He's still a bit young and is learning how to play the game differently, not just because Heatley's gone, but because he needs to have more than one dimension to his game in order for the team to "become his" in the future.

Anyway, any trade involving Spezza to the Rangers would HAVE to include Dubinsky and Staal as a start and I'm assuming the Rangers likely wouldn't want to give even that, plus a high-end prospect/draft pick or two, nor do you have room to eat up some money that we would want to throw in.

Honestly, I'm still on the fence about Spezza. I really want to believe that he just needs a little more time/experience/maturity and he will become the player we thought he could be when we drafted him. It's still to early for the organization to look in another direction.

In the four seasons since the lockout he has 90, 87, 92, 73. The 73 coming in a year when the whole team sat on the ******* the entire year.

He was obviously playing hurt (bad back) before he got injured, which, along with his shifting toward a less "pure offense" game hurt his production tremendously, but Michalek was on fire for the first little bit playing beside him. Spezza is one of those guys who makes players around him better (imagine him next to Gaborik?)

Anyway, just wanted to shed a little more light on Spezza and let you know that although it's incredibly unlikely he gets dealt, if you even want to talk about it, you're starting with Dubinsky and Staal.

The organization has a lot of hope for the future with Spezza, and as has been said in this thread before, it will take a huge overpayment for Ottawa to even consider trading him.

PCooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 06:42 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCooper View Post
Anyway, any trade involving Spezza to the Rangers would HAVE to include Dubinsky and Staal as a start and I'm assuming the Rangers likely wouldn't want to give even that, plus a high-end prospect/draft pick or two, nor do you have room to eat up some money that we would want to throw in.
Alright I understand Dubinsky, a high end prospect, and maybe one or two draft picks but I honestly think you're nuts to say that Spezza is going to command that much.

If we were to look at the Hossa deal (I know different scenario) even still they didn't get that much and even though Atlanta was backed in a corner they could have gotten more for Hossa.

To say that we have to give up Dubinsky AND Staal plus picks and a top prospect just seems that you're exaggerating Spezza's value imo. I think hes a good player but if I saw a deal with that amount being given up I'd personally better see someone's name that's a top 5 scorer in the league coming our way. And then on top of that you'd have to throw in maybe a Rosival for ca purposes and you're talking 5 or 6 players for one, that's a little much imo.

Again Spezza is good, and I know that Dubinsky won't be a star, and Staal will be a top pair defenseman, but I really feel like you're overvaluing Spezza.

Last edited by New York RKY: 01-08-2010 at 06:56 PM.
New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 06:52 PM
ThirdEye

Surprised he only has 19 points this season. I guess losing a 50 goal scorer from your line will do that to ya.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 07:28 PM
LamoTheKid

Roszivol, Higgins and Sanguinetti is the new Ryder Halak and a Third. Give it up people.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 07:55 PM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Roszival/Higgins/+ is really the go to package this season, eh?

Like Prucha/Kalinen/+ from last season.
No clearly it is Roszival + Dubinsky + 2nd. Don't you know anything?

01-08-2010, 09:35 PM
trilobyte

Oh boy, what to say about Spezza.

The main thing to say is that he is the last player NYR needs. What a comfortable little nest he has made in Ottawa, feathered with underperformance, for years. He got a bit better and at least started to play defence, but he is already over the hill.

NYR has to improve. Getting Spezza doesn't jive at all.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 09:36 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Three for one tradesalmost always favor the team getting the best player. Let me paraphrase your original question...

If you're Ottawa, why?

bobbop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 10:32 AM
dccuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Three for one tradesalmost always favor the team getting the best player. Let me paraphrase your original question...

If you're Ottawa, why?
The ottawa fan's opinion is interesting. I gathered the sentiment was that Ottawa and its fans were ready to move on from Spezza given his two year decrease in production and his large cap hit. But if he is envisioned as the remaining piece from a minor rebuild then he for sure would cost a lot more. Because of the low salary cap, cap room is a valuable commodity and is the reason valuable players are often under-valued at the trade deadline. There are numerous example over the past several years of players being acquired for what seems to be far less than they're worth. If Ottawa thinks its a worthy contract then of course the nucleus of any deal changes drastically.

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Gardner McKay
What a time

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
Sens are 1 pt ahead in standings. Spezza is out another 6-8 weeks. Figure by the time he gets back theyre either out of the race or in it enough where they decide Spezza is expendable. If they do, he could be perfect center for gaborik and probably attainable.

He's getting around 7 a year, which is a lot for a player who needs a goalscorer... but we have a goal scorer and he could be equally as effective with gaborik.

So here's the thought, and read it through.

Rozsival
Higgins
Sanguinetti/Sauer

Spezza

Why?

Well Volchenkov is free in the off season and will likely get big bucks elsewhere. Yes Rozi's contract is cap hit heavy but its front loaded and his actual pay is less on the back end, allowing a likely rebuilding sens to come closer to the cap floor while paying less and retaining a slightly mobile, veteran defenseman.

Higgins is also free and if wanted, could be retained for several years for a decent price given his low production year.

Sanguinetti/Sauer is a nice young piece.

Spezza gives us the #1 playmaking center we could truly use to bolster gabby's scoring ability. Over last four years with heatley - spezza averaged nearly 86 pts per year despite playing only 73 games a year (although given his current injury he's clearly injury prone) - AND... Ottawa gets rid of him.

Spezza's hit is 7 mill a year for five more years but... because he's backloaded (8,8,8,5,4) he also becomes more tradable over time assuming his play doesnt drop off.

This is of course contingent on Kovalchuk not being obtainable. However, i think rather than mortgaging the farm for Kovalchuk, Spezza and his contract (lower than what kovy will get) might be ripe for the snatchin.

Prospal Spezza Gaborik
Callahan Dubinsky Kotalik (this is a combo i'd love to try out)
Avery Anisimov Drury
Brashear Boyle Lisin
This is probably one of the worst proposals I have ever seen... Not to mention pathetically flawed logic.

If Ottawa is still in the playoff hunt, why the **** would there top line center all of the sudden become expendable?

Not to mention, on what planet could we get him for Higgins Blowitzall and Sanguenetti because it sure as hell is not hell is not earth.

Spezza would cost one of : Stepan/Grachev/Anisimov + Dubinsky + 2nd round pick.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Gardner McKay
What a time

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCooper View Post
Sens fan, coming in peace:

First off, Spezza's only 26 years old, he is going to be the centrepiece of a "rebuild" if we have one.

Second, this is going to be Spezza's team once Alfredsson retires. He's still a bit young and is learning how to play the game differently, not just because Heatley's gone, but because he needs to have more than one dimension to his game in order for the team to "become his" in the future.

Honestly, I'm still on the fence about Spezza. I really want to believe that he just needs a little more time/experience/maturity and he will become the player we thought he could be when we drafted him. It's still to early for the organization to look in another direction.

In the four seasons since the lockout he has 90, 87, 92, 73. The 73 coming in a year when the whole team sat on the ******* the entire year.

He was obviously playing hurt (bad back) before he got injured, which, along with his shifting toward a less "pure offense" game hurt his production tremendously, but Michalek was on fire for the first little bit playing beside him. Spezza is one of those guys who makes players around him better (imagine him next to Gaborik?)

Anyway, just wanted to shed a little more light on Spezza and let you know that although it's incredibly unlikely he gets dealt, if you even want to talk about it, you're starting with Dubinsky and Staal.

The organization has a lot of hope for the future with Spezza, and as has been said in this thread before, it will take a huge overpayment for Ottawa to even consider trading him.
You seriously under-rate the value of Staal to this Rangers franchise, hes not going anywhere. Dubinsky? Im all ears.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 10:55 AM
satrabyk

Well its great to put that much thought into it, and Spezza is not a bad player, hes got size, skill and vision which makes for a good play maker, but the proposal is a bit weak. Again most likely when looking at a trade like that they would probably want a Dubinsky in return and a prospect. Personally I just dont think this team can afford that not only financially but also playing wise. Also giving up Dubi with his low cap hit does not make any sense unless it is getting a guy that is really something and is potentially overpaid as Spezza could quite possible become. Also even if Spezza clicked with Gaby it would not be good enough to make us any contender for the cup because we still have too many overpaid players that are hurting us. To the last poster there is no way we move Dubi and Stall, and you have the guts to say take on a bad contract. That is way to much.

Last edited by satrabyk: 01-09-2010 at 11:02 AM.
satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:48 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post

Rozsival
Higgins
Sanguinetti/Sauer

Spezza
I'm sending this in to Puck Daddy as my nominee for worst HFBoards proposal of the week (if not the year).

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote