HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Carcillo fined for throat-slash gesture

Old
01-08-2010, 06:05 PM
FoppaFlyers21

vCash: 500
That Penguins game was probably the most frustrating match I've ever had to watch as a Flyers fan. That Gagne goal was so obviously a goal that it was sickening. Carter was not offsides; It was entirely obvious as well. Some of those penalty calls vs. the Flyguys was an absolute embarrassment. The NHL is really disappointing me with their officiating. Anyone nonbias here that feels the same? I mean seriously it was pathetic.

FoppaFlyers21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 06:07 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Whenever someone gets in trouble because they were driving drunk and such, we hear about it just as well. Mark Bell was also suspended for his DUI. Hockey players have a squeaky clean reputation, and they're held to it as well.
Ok this is going to sound racist but it isn't meant to be, but look at where the players in the NBA/NFL come from that are getting in trouble for these sorts of things. They are coming from "the hood" being brought up in bad areas where doing illegal things is the norm (not saying everyone in the NBA/NFL or everyone who gets in trouble is from this situation, but most are). On the flip side, look at where hockey players come from. You pretty much have to have money to play hockey because it is so expensive. That is why there aren't too many good inner city hockey clubs and players are normally from the suburbs and such.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 06:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoppaFlyers21 View Post
That Penguins game was probably the most frustrating match I've ever had to watch as a Flyers fan. That Gagne goal was so obviously a goal that it was sickening. Carter was not offsides; It was entirely obvious as well. Some of those penalty calls vs. the Flyguys was an absolute embarrassment. The NHL is really disappointing me with their officiating. Anyone nonbias here that feels the same? I mean seriously it was pathetic.
Not sure any of the penalties they took wasn't legit. Timonen interfered with Crosby, Coburn held Rupp. Those are penalties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Ok this is going to sound racist but it isn't meant to be, but look at where the players in the NBA/NFL come from that are getting in trouble for these sorts of things. They are coming from "the hood" being brought up in bad areas where doing illegal things is the norm (not saying everyone in the NBA/NFL or everyone who gets in trouble is from this situation, but most are). On the flip side, look at where hockey players come from. You pretty much have to have money to play hockey because it is so expensive. That is why there aren't too many good inner city hockey clubs and players are normally from the suburbs and such.
Just because you don't live in the inner city, doesn't mean you're not capable of their stereotypical behaviors. Eric Lindros was connected to Joey Merlino, a convicted mob boss in Philadelphia. Rick Tocchet was involved in an illegal gambling ring.

Sound like people who knew better because they were from the suburbs?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 06:30 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
I enjoy drinking and smoking "herbs" but Im average joe. if I was being paid millions to be a professional something, i wouldnt do those things during the season. I mean it is illegal yes, and drinking CAN be illegal, but if you dont do anything to draw attention to urself u dont get caught, simple as that. But as a professional athlete your life is under such a microscope its just not worth doing it

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 06:46 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

Areanas was suspended indefinitely.

It makes the NHL what they are - a league who holds their players to the highest of standards on and off the ice.

When was the last time someone in the NHL got arrested or suspended for smoking pot?
I just watched the video. I thought he actually went to the bench and did it. He was just yelling from the bench and did that. I do that all the time, never meant to be offensive. Really, NHL? Really?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 06:47 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Not sure any of the penalties they took wasn't legit. Timonen interfered with Crosby, Coburn held Rupp. Those are penalties.

Just because you don't live in the inner city, doesn't mean you're not capable of their stereotypical behaviors. Eric Lindros was connected to Joey Merlino, a convicted mob boss in Philadelphia. Rick Tocchet was involved in an illegal gambling ring.

Sound like people who knew better because they were from the suburbs?
That's a different kind of stupid. Guys like Gilbert Arenas bringing guns to the arena or Plaxico Burress shooting himself in the leg. Not that gambling (or whatever Lindros was doing) in some forms is any less illegal than guns and drugs, it is just that it is a different kind of crime. Crimes involving guns are far worse than gambling and in most cases completely stupid. Gambling isn't something that is going to turn heads and make some one say "What the hell were they thinking? They should be in jail!" Shooting yourself in the leg, bringing guns to the arena, etc is. I know those are two that just happened but there are plenty of examples. And not saying that all NHLers are saints and NFL/NBAers are criminals, I'm just saying that the guys getting in trouble from the NBA and NFL are brought up in a certain atmosphere that NHLers are not. You can't really dispute that (and of course I don't mean every NHLer was a rich kid and every NBA/NFLer was a poor kid in the inner city so please don't come back saying that that is what I meant by giving examples of rich basketball players and poor NHL players).

Old
01-08-2010, 07:00 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
I think this proves that Carcillo is the closest thing to a Hanson brother that the NHL has

01-08-2010, 07:21 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
That's a different kind of stupid. Guys like Gilbert Arenas bringing guns to the arena or Plaxico Burress shooting himself in the leg. Not that gambling (or whatever Lindros was doing) in some forms is any less illegal than guns and drugs, it is just that it is a different kind of crime. Crimes involving guns are far worse than gambling and in most cases completely stupid. Gambling isn't something that is going to turn heads and make some one say "What the hell were they thinking? They should be in jail!" Shooting yourself in the leg, bringing guns to the arena, etc is. I know those are two that just happened but there are plenty of examples. And not saying that all NHLers are saints and NFL/NBAers are criminals, I'm just saying that the guys getting in trouble from the NBA and NFL are brought up in a certain atmosphere that NHLers are not. You can't really dispute that (and of course I don't mean every NHLer was a rich kid and every NBA/NFLer was a poor kid in the inner city so please don't come back saying that that is what I meant by giving examples of rich basketball players and poor NHL players).
A different kind of crime is still a crime, especially when people involved could have gone to or are in jail. And an NHLer is supposed to be a saint, that's the whole image they're putting forth. "We're so intense and fierce on the ice, but off the ice we're regular Joe's pumping our own gas and shopping for groceries."

Old
01-08-2010, 10:01 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
A different kind of crime is still a crime, especially when people involved could have gone to or are in jail. And an NHLer is supposed to be a saint, that's the whole image they're putting forth. "We're so intense and fierce on the ice, but off the ice we're regular Joe's pumping our own gas and shopping for groceries."
I know and I said that. I am just saying the types of crimes in the NHL are not the same types of crimes as the ones in the NFL/NBA.

Old
01-08-2010, 10:18 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRiles View Post
Rule 89E: Players are no longer allowed to show emotions during a game.
John Stevens, the new poster boy of the NHL.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

I loved the majority of Dan's antics against the Leafs. The throat slash has always bothered me though. Not so much because I find it offensive or over the top, but rather because it's so ****ing unoriginal. You're better and much more entertaining than that Mr.Carskillo.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 02:16 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I loved the majority of Dan's antics against the Leafs. The throat slash has always bothered me though. Not so much because I find it offensive or over the top, but rather because it's so ****ing unoriginal. You're better and much more entertaining than that Mr.Carskillo.
\m/ \m/

Old
01-09-2010, 03:30 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
\m/ \m/
LOL!! Took me a minute to figure that out!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:02 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
LOL!! Took me a minute to figure that out!
I'm still not getting it. What am I missing here?

Old
01-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Boys have a penis. Girls have a vagina.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:17 PM
IAN aka RYAN

Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Boys have a penis. Girls have a vagina.
...since his head is so big, he cant wear any hats.

IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Look at JLHockeyKnight's avy and see if you get it then.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:08 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Look at JLHockeyKnight's avy and see if you get it then.
Got it. Nice.

Old
01-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Got it. Nice.
Good. I expect it will become a new trend around here.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:19 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Good. I expect it will become a new trend around here.
what did i start.

Old
01-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
\m/ \m/

Tremendous.

Old
01-10-2010, 12:38 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
O noes! Don't smoke pot! O noes!

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:05 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

It's not about not smoking pot. If people here smoke pot, good for them. But if you're playing professional sports, you're not allowed to smoke pot. It's kind of as simple as that.

Old
01-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
It's not about not smoking pot. If people here smoke pot, good for them. But if you're playing professional sports, you're not allowed to smoke pot. It's kind of as simple as that.

+1....especially if it's good pot.

Old
01-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Jester

Quote:
If you believe leagues are REALLY cracking down on pot smoking...you're kidding yourself.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote