HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Petteri Simila traded to Barrie (Update: Now on KalPa of SM-Liiga)

Old
01-08-2010, 09:23 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

vCash: 500
Petteri Simila traded to Barrie (Update: Now on KalPa of SM-Liiga)

Petteri Simila was traded to Barrie Colts along with Pietrangelo and DeSousa. Obviously the focal point of the deal is Pietrangelo... But just thought you guys should have the heads up of this

I don't know too too much about the OHL so I don't know whether this is good for Simila or not. Barrie's current #1 is some Di Salvo character, but I don't know how good he is

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

vCash: 246
Barrie is already a very good team, with Pietrangelo they are stacked.

Di Salvo is a very good goalie too, so im not sure how Simila can stack up against him.

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Mtl6

He didn't play a lot in Niagara so it must be good. The backup in Barrie has won his 8 starts this season, seems to be a decent backup...they don't seem to need another one...

Mtl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
He'll be in a winning environment at least.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

He sucks like Missaien, at least he wasn't a 4th round pick chosen ahead of actual goalies with potential, like Jaroslav Janus, Mike Murphy, Dustin tokarski, etc. He also has more potential than Missiaen, so he could be a servicable 3rd string. Missiaen will be nothing more than a pylon.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
He sucks like Missaien, at least he wasn't a 4th round pick chosen ahead of actual goalies with potential, like Jaroslav Janus, Mike Murphy, Dustin tokarski, etc. He also has more potential than Missiaen, so he could be a servicable 3rd string. Missiaen will be nothing more than a pylon.
lol I think it's pretty obvious they drafted him for his potential...I mean he's a 6'9'' goalie who shows flashes of being unbeatable. He's a project goalie if there ever was one.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
lol I think it's pretty obvious they drafted him for his potential...I mean he's a 6'9'' goalie who shows flashes of being unbeatable. He's a project goalie if there ever was one.
You do wonder how the 22nd NA goalie on the CSS list was needed to be picked in a 4th round. I had wished we could have picked some more big centerman at that time like James Wright who was still available.

As far as Simila, I preferred him to Missiaen when I saw both of them at the last dev. camp. We'll see what that trade will do to him. Either he loves it and can get a starting job next year. Either he doesn't like it and might end up a starter in Finland. We'll see how it will play out. But so far, being in a winning environment cannot be negative.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 12:10 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
So Simila will be the 3rd stringer?

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 12:22 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenYoung View Post
So Simila will be the 3rd stringer?
I have no idea but I think he was just thrown in because Niagara would have had 3 Euro players.

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 09:51 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You do wonder how the 22nd NA goalie on the CSS list was needed to be picked in a 4th round. I had wished we could have picked some more big centerman at that time like James Wright who was still available.

As far as Simila, I preferred him to Missiaen when I saw both of them at the last dev. camp. We'll see what that trade will do to him. Either he loves it and can get a starting job next year. Either he doesn't like it and might end up a starter in Finland. We'll see how it will play out. But so far, being in a winning environment cannot be negative.
I only saw Simila once but didn't like what I saw at all. Not sure what the Habs were thinking with their interest in any of our goalie prospects not named Desjardins. I haven't seen Mayer in Cincy but can't say I saw anything to make me think he's a guy they should have signed, but hope he changes my opinion of him. Simila I figured he has to be better then Mayer but now I'm not sure, either way I don't see why the Habs went with either, I felt the same way about Lacasse (although I really liked what I saw in his few games in Hamilton but he was Melanson's guy from what I heard)

Missiaen I don't know what to make of, but I did think he looked a lot better this year then he did in the couple games I saw him last year. I would rank Missiaen as our 2nd best goalie prospect behind Desjardins.

I do wonder how things will shake out next year, since both Missiaen and Simila can turn pro, with Mayer in the mix and Desjardins as the likely starter for the Dogs.

But when it comes to goalies I can't say I'm overly confident in my opinions of them. It's the only position I never played. I liked Garon, then I didn't after the Citdelles got thumped by Hamilton, then I loved him when he was in Hamilton and as our backup I thought he would be a really solid goalie in the NHL, I hear mixed reviews on his play since we traded him, haven't followed him but am a big fan of him as person much like Yann Danis, as I always heard great things about both off the ice.

I thought Danis was going to be great after his huge senior year in the NCAA and a impressive rookie year in Hamilton, only to think he would never make the NHL after losing his starting job repeatedly to Price/Halak and not looking good at all.

So my opinions on our goalie prospects are all over the place. I never thought Desjardins would be this good, I don't like the way he handles the puck and when he's having trouble with rebounds it can get ugly, but this year he's been so much better. I didn't see much of him in the Q/ECHL but I saw just about every game he's played in Hamilton and while he was very solid last year, I thought it was more to do with the team, since they were 2nd in the AHL overall (Dogs look like they are going to win 100 games between last season and this one, they had 49 last year, on pace for 52 this year I think) but he's really stepped up his game in a big way, so we'll see what the future holds for the other 3. I can't say I have much hope for any of Missiaen/Simila/Mayer but am hoping to be proven wrong again.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Missiaen is alright. I'm not sure he'll make the NHL, but a guy with that size is at least intriguing.

He's been doing alright on a terrible Peterborough team. I mean, his backup has a S% with more than a .04 difference. That's huge.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I only saw Simila once but didn't like what I saw at all. Not sure what the Habs were thinking with their interest in any of our goalie prospects not named Desjardins. I haven't seen Mayer in Cincy but can't say I saw anything to make me think he's a guy they should have signed, but hope he changes my opinion of him. Simila I figured he has to be better then Mayer but now I'm not sure, either way I don't see why the Habs went with either, I felt the same way about Lacasse (although I really liked what I saw in his few games in Hamilton but he was Melanson's guy from what I heard)

Missiaen I don't know what to make of, but I did think he looked a lot better this year then he did in the couple games I saw him last year. I would rank Missiaen as our 2nd best goalie prospect behind Desjardins.

I do wonder how things will shake out next year, since both Missiaen and Simila can turn pro, with Mayer in the mix and Desjardins as the likely starter for the Dogs.

But when it comes to goalies I can't say I'm overly confident in my opinions of them. It's the only position I never played. I liked Garon, then I didn't after the Citdelles got thumped by Hamilton, then I loved him when he was in Hamilton and as our backup I thought he would be a really solid goalie in the NHL, I hear mixed reviews on his play since we traded him, haven't followed him but am a big fan of him as person much like Yann Danis, as I always heard great things about both off the ice.

I thought Danis was going to be great after his huge senior year in the NCAA and a impressive rookie year in Hamilton, only to think he would never make the NHL after losing his starting job repeatedly to Price/Halak and not looking good at all.

So my opinions on our goalie prospects are all over the place. I never thought Desjardins would be this good, I don't like the way he handles the puck and when he's having trouble with rebounds it can get ugly, but this year he's been so much better. I didn't see much of him in the Q/ECHL but I saw just about every game he's played in Hamilton and while he was very solid last year, I thought it was more to do with the team, since they were 2nd in the AHL overall (Dogs look like they are going to win 100 games between last season and this one, they had 49 last year, on pace for 52 this year I think) but he's really stepped up his game in a big way, so we'll see what the future holds for the other 3. I can't say I have much hope for any of Missiaen/Simila/Mayer but am hoping to be proven wrong again.
I'm not that great with my opinions on goalies either though I said that Steve Mason would end up a great goalie in this league (though this year is probably not the year to remind people of such statement....). I have and still have high hopes for Jake Allen and Peter Delmas.....doesn't look for me, though I'm still pretty certain that Allen will be a significant goalie. Goalies' progression are obvioulsy not on the same curse than all the other players.

As far as our own players, well out of the camps I've seen, Desjardins was the goalie I prefered as far as the prospects we've had lately. I prefered Simila to Missiaen in the last dev. camp. Mayer....well this is where it gets complicated as far as I'm concerned. He was on my ND list in his draft year. I would not have picked him even in the 7th round. Hated him. But I suggested that we should invited him and so we did and frankly, he looked real good. Actually much better than a certain Nicola Riopel. To which, I think, I mentioned that we would be signing Mayer and I wouldn't be surprised....and so we did. But then going back to his junior team, he showed once again why I hated him. I've rarely seen so much inconsistency in a long time. And it doesn't seem how he'll fix that, though like I said, it's a long winding road....

So aside from Desjardins, I don't have a whole lot of hope. But we can certainly be surprised. But both Missiaen and Simila picks were pretty strange and seemed to be based on one thing only....their size. Not sure that it automatically means becoming a great goalie. The fact that they ended up picking Simila with the last pick, I didn't like it 'cause I had other picks in mind (Denny Mattson, Andrej Stastny, Nate Schmidt, Adam Polasek, Andrei Kuchin, Tim Schaller, Dennis Rasmussen....)

But the Missiaen pick for me is more problematic. A 4th rounder on his was not necessary. He would have falled pass that point. Easy to say, I know, but rarely do we see a goalie that far on every list that surprises and be picked that soon. We usually see the contrary where a guy listed fairly high, ends up slipping. And in this 4th and 5th rounds, there were guys at other positions much more interesting especially when you are suppose to go BPA. Like Wright, Grant, Moon, Nyquist, Loktionov...(my god...), Berglund.....Honestly, potentially speaking, they were at that time way above Missiaen.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:10 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I'm not that great with my opinions on goalies either though I said that Steve Mason would end up a great goalie in this league (though this year is probably not the year to remind people of such statement....). I have and still have high hopes for Jake Allen and Peter Delmas.....doesn't look for me, though I'm still pretty certain that Allen will be a significant goalie. Goalies' progression are obvioulsy not on the same curse than all the other players.

As far as our own players, well out of the camps I've seen, Desjardins was the goalie I prefered as far as the prospects we've had lately. I prefered Simila to Missiaen in the last dev. camp. Mayer....well this is where it gets complicated as far as I'm concerned. He was on my ND list in his draft year. I would not have picked him even in the 7th round. Hated him. But I suggested that we should invited him and so we did and frankly, he looked real good. Actually much better than a certain Nicola Riopel. To which, I think, I mentioned that we would be signing Mayer and I wouldn't be surprised....and so we did. But then going back to his junior team, he showed once again why I hated him. I've rarely seen so much inconsistency in a long time. And it doesn't seem how he'll fix that, though like I said, it's a long winding road....

So aside from Desjardins, I don't have a whole lot of hope. But we can certainly be surprised. But both Missiaen and Simila picks were pretty strange and seemed to be based on one thing only....their size. Not sure that it automatically means becoming a great goalie. The fact that they ended up picking Simila with the last pick, I didn't like it 'cause I had other picks in mind (Denny Mattson, Andrej Stastny, Nate Schmidt, Adam Polasek, Andrei Kuchin, Tim Schaller, Dennis Rasmussen....)

But the Missiaen pick for me is more problematic. A 4th rounder on his was not necessary. He would have falled pass that point. Easy to say, I know, but rarely do we see a goalie that far on every list that surprises and be picked that soon. We usually see the contrary where a guy listed fairly high, ends up slipping. And in this 4th and 5th rounds, there were guys at other positions much more interesting especially when you are suppose to go BPA. Like Wright, Grant, Moon, Nyquist, Loktionov...(my god...), Berglund.....Honestly, potentially speaking, they were at that time way above Missiaen.
I wanted us to pick Delmas but that was just based off things I heard about him. Two NCAA guys I have liked a lot were Ben Bishop (stl) and Joe Fallon (chi) Bishop is like Simila/Missiaen with his huge frame but he's certainly better then our guys.

I wasn't a fan of the Michaud or Mayer signings, and the Lacasse/Missiaen/Simila picks were head shakers to me but we'll see what happens since these are the guys that picked Halak and Price, and it's clear Timmins has an eye for talent but I have my doubts that any of these picks will do much for us. Missiaen is the one guy I have some hope for, when I would see him play, he'd see so many pucks that he would make some big saves that look really good but then he'd let in a softie or two every time. This year he looks better but it could be more to do with the team, I don't follow the CHL too much, so once he hits Hamilton I'll see him a lot.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 05:39 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Simila Off to KalPa of SM-Liiga

http://www.kalpa-hockey.fi/sitenews/...ngid/1/nid/801

Old
01-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
That's what I figured. Let him develop down there for a few years.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 05:46 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

It would have been nice if he went back to where he came from though, wasn't he supposed going to be coached my the man who helped develop Rinne?

Old
01-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
It would have been nice if he went back to where he came from though, wasn't he supposed going to be coached my the man who helped develop Rinne?
Yup, that,s what gave people hope Simila would become at least decent. Rinne 6'5, Simila 6'6, could turn out good.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I'm 6'10, it takes me an eternity to get up from my knees when I fall.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 08:04 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
The point is that even when he's on his knees... He covers the entire net

Old
01-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
do you weight a 600 pounds?

I am sure Lebron gets up quite fast, same with lots of NBA players, what i mean is it might take years for a huge player to get used to his body, its a risk

talking about big guys, what a gem Myers is for buffalo, incredible player yet so young, i really wonder how gms didnt drafted such a fluid and talented kid with such a huge size. I am jealous.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 10:39 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Peter Delmas
was he ever brutal for the quebec remparts this year, bad goal after bad goal then get traded to halifax (worst team in the league) and get players of the week honor patrick roy know **** about goaltending

as it seems we like huge goalie dont be surprised if we drafted Delmas teammate in Halifax 6"6 Mathieu Corbeil who's rated 3rd by CSS

as for Simila, will see how he developped back in finland and its clear now it was a mistake to come over the ohl.

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Habs

Quote:
The point is that even when he's on his knees... He covers the entire net
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
do you weight a 600 pounds?

I am sure Lebron gets up quite fast, same with lots of NBA players, what i mean is it might take years for a huge player to get used to his body, its a risk

talking about big guys, what a gem Myers is for buffalo, incredible player yet so young, i really wonder how gms didnt drafted such a fluid and talented kid with such a huge size. I am jealous.
Sorry, that should have read 5'10 on my part.. huge typo on my part.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:18 PM
wings5

Yeah I though he would get more playing time in the OHL but that wasn't the case.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 12:39 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Similä played his first game back home today, playing for KalPa Jr with a 3-2 SO win, 23 saves on 25 shots and 3 for 4 in SO.

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote