HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Ushl

Old
01-08-2010, 10:30 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Ushl

Hi,

I just moved to Indianapolis and I see they have a USHL hockey team, the Indiana Ice. I'm curious where the USHL league ranks in terms of development. From their website, they seem to be a feeder league to the NCAA, does that mean its a JR age league?

How is the hockey level? Can anyone tell me anything about it? I'm probably going to go see a game but I wouldn't mind having some info about what I'm going to see.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 12:53 AM
sbkbghockey

vCash: 500
The USHL is the tier I Jr A league/the top junior league in the United States. its for players who are 16-20 years of age and is strictly amateur, most of the players in U are looking, or already commited to NCAA college hockey. some go to Major Jr hockey in Canada too. (a bunch of the current Ice roster are committed to NCAA DI Universities.)

Welcome to Indy, as to the Ice, they're the 2008-09 Clark Cup champions. I believe they're doing pretty good right now this season too.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 08:17 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
Welcome to Indy, as to the Ice, they're the 2008-09 Clark Cup champions. I believe they're doing pretty good right now this season too.
Hey thx for the welcome, nice to meet another hockey fan in Indy. Do they have a pro team, my g/f seems to think they do, but I suck at google searches.

I noticed tonight, they won the clark cup, we beat the Sioux team tonight but they owned us most of the game but our apparantly back up goalie kept us in the game.

Here is my TR that I posted in my home forum, I really enjoyed the experience.

Well I went to the game tonight and I was impressed. I went to one other JR game this year, the Halifax Mooseheads vs Quebec Remparts (I lived in Halifax and I never got to see my hero in person).

The Mooseheads really suck this year and I think they brought the Remparts down to their level. Prior to that, I probably haven't seen a JR game in 15 years, so this is my compass.

For the first 15 minutes, I was impressed, I thought it was really good hockey, comparable / faster than the Q. Then I looked at the shot stat and it was like 6-1, pretty pathetic.

In the 2nd, I realized that the players were alot smaller than Canadian Jr players, then it made me wonder if the age was lower for the league. Then I surmised that the better 19-20 year old have probably left the league for NCAA.

By the 3rd, I realized the major difference was that they didn't employ any systems. However you could see the raw talent of some of the players was similar to Canadian JR hockey but not using any systems, make it a tier below imo.

Overall its a decent league and I can see why we would draft from there but it is a tier below CHL overall. But I bet it makes finding the stars that much easier from a scouting perspective.

Now, non hockey stuff. It was a blast. There were 2 ticket prices, $15 and $9, however the $9 tickets were half price, I debated getting low seats near the glass but when it came down to it, I couldn't spend 3 times as much when I could get 2 tickets for under $10. When I went for a piss, I was near the goalie end, so I went for a peek to check out the stands and was I ever glad, I didn't buy the $15 tickets, man was there ever a lot of empty seats. (I'd guess attendance 5-600)

So we decided, we'll go take our seats and move elsewhere once the game started. Well the $4 seats were pretty damm good, near the goalie (all the action was in our end) and not high up at all, so we stayed there the whole game).

However it was funny to watch / listen to American cheer for hockey. The arena was the state fair ground (read rodeo) changed to a arena for the winter. Fans brought their cowbells in the masses and airhorns (ugh), I'm glad we have them banned in Canada.

But it was funny listening to them ask for a foul for tripping. But you can't go wrong with the $2 beer. I'll definately go again.

Does anyone know if Indianopolis has a Pro team, I heard rumours that they do. I want to check that out next.

Old
01-09-2010, 10:12 PM
james bond

I guess before you get too clever with your snide remarks about the level of hockey, dont forget that a couple of USHL teams made the long bus ride to Quebec a couple of years ago, played a couple of Q teams and beat them. I think one of the scores was 8- 0. Maybe you should hire someone to show you the finer points of the game.

james bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:11 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond View Post
I guess before you get too clever with your snide remarks about the level of hockey, dont forget that a couple of USHL teams made the long bus ride to Quebec a couple of years ago, played a couple of Q teams and beat them. I think one of the scores was 8- 0. Maybe you should hire someone to show you the finer points of the game.
Maybe you should hire someone to teach you to read. Lets take a look at what I actually said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Here is my TR that I posted in my home forum, I really enjoyed the experience.

Well I went to the game tonight and I was impressed. I went to one other JR game this year, the Halifax Mooseheads vs Quebec Remparts (I lived in Halifax and I never got to see my hero in person).

The Mooseheads really suck this year (Here I am cutting down the Q) and I think they brought the Remparts down to their level (cutting down the Q even more). Prior to that, I probably haven't seen a JR game in 15 years, so this is my compass.

For the first 15 minutes, I was impressed, I thought it was really good hockey, comparable / faster than the Q. (I think this is complimenting the USHL) Then I looked at the shot stat and it was like 6-1, pretty pathetic.

In the 2nd, I realized that the players were alot smaller than Canadian Jr players, then it made me wonder if the age was lower for the league. Then I surmised that the better 19-20 year old have probably left the league for NCAA.
This last point is very important and imo is why its one tier below the CHL. I know the Canadiens have drafted like 9 players from the USHL. However, they end up going to NCAA route and when I looked at the age of the players, most were 18 and 19 year olds with the odd 17 yr old and maybe a 20 yr old here and there. In the CHL, we don't have kids leaving for college because college / university hockey in Canada is substandard. So all the 19/20 year olds stay in the CHL because its the best development league for the NHL.

So having more developed 19/20 year olds compared to 18/19 year olds is going to result in players being smaller and not as polished. Heck in the CHL, each team is even allowed an overager on their roster. And being older makes a difference at this level.

But if you actually read my post, you'd realize I wasn't cutting down the USHL. I stated quite emphatically that I enjoyed the experience. I also don't think that highly of the QJHML fwiw.

Old
01-10-2010, 05:56 PM
derbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond View Post
Oh, for crying out loud. Here's the link to the page that has all four games:

http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_en/index...mode=0&month=9

I'm all for the USHL and the fact that they've gotten much stronger over the past few years. But it was pre-season, and even so Indiana didn't win a game. Omaha went 2-0, and both Rimouski and Quebec went 1-1. That's with weakened rosters due to NHL camps. From my perspective the OP was speaking pretty highly of the USHL overall...

derbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 08:02 PM
macavoy

I have a feeling Mr Bond won't be coming back to this thread.

Old
01-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Choate51

Hey, it's always nice to see another hockey fan in Indy! Pepsi coliseum is a bit of a relic in a bad part of town, but it's decent hockey. It's more of a Defensive game compared to other Jr. leagues. You can't miss Pack the House Night at Conseco Fieldhouse, that's a great time at a really nice arena.

I usually go to 2-3 games a month. Let me know of the next one your going to and me and the wife could come and say HI. I am always in an Indiana Ice Bauscherbach jersey or a Bergeron Bruins jersey.

Choate51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:44 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choate51 View Post
Hey, it's always nice to see another hockey fan in Indy! Pepsi coliseum is a bit of a relic in a bad part of town, but it's decent hockey. It's more of a Defensive game compared to other Jr. leagues. You can't miss Pack the House Night at Conseco Fieldhouse, that's a great time at a really nice arena.

I usually go to 2-3 games a month. Let me know of the next one your going to and me and the wife could come and say HI. I am always in an Indiana Ice Bauscherbach jersey or a Bergeron Bruins jersey.
Hey sounds good. When is the Pack the House Night at Conseco Fieldhouse?

I'd definately enjoy meeting up with you and your wife. A weekend game would be best, let me know the next time your going on a weekend and we are available.

Old
01-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Choate51

Feb 28 vs. Team USA is pack the house night.

Old
01-17-2010, 01:37 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Feb 28 vs. Team USA is pack the house night.
That sounds fun, I'll definately be interested in seeing that.

However I see that next Friday, Jan 22, is cheap night ($2beer), you got any plans for Friday?

Alternatively, I see we are also hosting the All Star game the following weekend, will that be any good?

Old
01-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Choate51

The all star game will be good if you are a hockey fan and want to see the best talent the USHL has to offer. But, there will probably be more people working concessions then people in the stands.

The $2 beer night is a bogus deal, they give you a dixie cup and call it $2 beer! Unless i get suckered into work I will be at one of the games this weekend.

Old
01-18-2010, 10:02 AM
macavoy

Quote:
The $2 beer night is a bogus deal, they give you a dixie cup and call it $2 beer! Unless i get suckered into work I will be at one of the games this weekend.
<------sucker

Old
02-14-2010, 09:54 PM
straka91*

I think they are one of the top American development leagues right now. Its a lot more skilled now but back in the late 90's it was a very physical league. The only minor beef I have with the league is the cockiness of the players gets out of hand at times. One game a kid hopped a bench to get back up a player fighting 2 other guys. When he got ejected he was pumping fists and banging his hands on the glass like a gorilla at a zoo lol. Another incident was when the Stars coach got ejected and 2 players were dancing and throwing peace signs and stuff lol. Entertaining but gets on my nerves.

GO LINCOLN STARS!! (even though they are horrible this year)

straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:32 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by straka91 View Post
I think they are one of the top American development leagues right now. Its a lot more skilled now but back in the late 90's it was a very physical league. The only minor beef I have with the league is the cockiness of the players gets out of hand at times. One game a kid hopped a bench to get back up a player fighting 2 other guys. When he got ejected he was pumping fists and banging his hands on the glass like a gorilla at a zoo lol. Another incident was when the Stars coach got ejected and 2 players were dancing and throwing peace signs and stuff lol. Entertaining but gets on my nerves.
In Canada, he would be a hero / fan favorite.