HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 3 Devils most likely to be traded

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2003, 04:34 PM
NJDevils#4
Since 2002, bishes

vCash: 500
Top 3 Devils most likely to be traded

Gomez
Rafalski
Elias

Thats my list for now.

Who do you think are the top 3 Devils most likely to be dealt?

Old
09-22-2003, 04:49 PM
JasonMacIsaac

vCash:
Rafalski????

Gomez
Berglund
Bicek

Old
09-22-2003, 04:49 PM
Missionhockey

I'd put Elias at the top of the list and Gomez as a close second. I'd think they'd both get very good quality players unfortunately the Devs would be losing a lot.

Old
09-22-2003, 05:20 PM
Guttersnipe
Leave Zubrus Alone!

You should have made 3 players other than Gomez, who should just change his name to Trade Bait. We would need to get a center in return.

Rafalski is an interesting choice. I don't think we can afford to trade him now, but I always thought if Oleg had worked out, they would shop Rafalski. The bigger question is will NJ be able to keep Nieds and/or Rafalski when they become UFAs.

I don't Elias isn't going anywhere, but that's just me.

With really can't afford to trade a D-man or a top-6 forward, unless we can get something spectacular in return. Does Ari have any trade value? Goalie prospects are like cute 10 year olds... they can get ugly real fast.

So,
1) Rupp.
2) Rupp. Please.
3) Rupp. God.

I think we may lose Bicek in the waiver drafts. Just my gut.

Old
09-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Niedermayer21

1. Turner Stevenson
2. Bicek or Berglund
3. Brylin (Only because he will be an UFA and is so injury-prone)
4. Lou shouldn't trade Gomez or Elias unless he gets an offer he can't refuse. Even with sub-par seasons, we still won the Cup. If they can get their acts together, just imagine how much better we can be!

Old
09-22-2003, 06:01 PM
Guttersnipe
Leave Zubrus Alone!

Why no love for Sarge? He can't have much trade value, is a valuable role player and Burns loves the guy.

I like Turner, but if Lou can get anything for 1.3 million dollar groin injury, more power to him.

I'm hoping this will be Berglund's year to get it together.

Old
09-22-2003, 06:01 PM
Blackjack

Gomez? What would that leave us with at center? Larionov, Madden, Rupp, Rasmussen...geez

Nobody's going to trade a better center for Gomez and a 2nd, so forget it.

If you trade Elias you'll see Langenbrunner and Friesen's production go down the toilet. Those guys are great secondary scorers because they are usually not matched up against the shutdown centers and 1st pairing dmen.

I personally don't understand the trade itch, we just won a cup playing as a team, why break it up?

I suppose if I had to choose 3

1) Rupp
2) Bicek
3) Berglund

Old
09-22-2003, 06:08 PM
I Hate Tie DOMI

I'd say

1. Berglund (Hasn't done much and might have run out of chances to prove himself)
2. Elias (Needs to carry the offense, if he falters early I can see him going even if his value is lowered because of it)
3. Clemmenson (With Schwab here this year and a UFA after this season, Ahonen should claim the back up role after the possible lockout. Therefore the only place for Clemmenson to play is Albany but another team may look for a backup goalie which he would be here next year if we didn't have Ahonen.)

Old
09-22-2003, 07:12 PM
M V Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack
Gomez? What would that leave us with at center? Larionov, Madden, Rupp, Rasmussen...geez

Nobody's going to trade a better center for Gomez and a 2nd, so forget it.

If you trade Elias you'll see Langenbrunner and Friesen's production go down the toilet. Those guys are great secondary scorers because they are usually not matched up against the shutdown centers and 1st pairing dmen.

I personally don't understand the trade itch, we just won a cup playing as a team, why break it up?

I suppose if I had to choose 3

1) Rupp
2) Bicek
3) Berglund
I'm going to have to agree on that one. If anything, one of the three mentioned (berglund, bicek, and rupp), don't see any major moves involving the others. I just hope we DON'T trade any of our D-Line prospects. Anything but that.

Old
09-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Tbg1515

I think my top 3 to be traded would be

1.Berglund
2. Bicek
3. Brylin, or Stevenson

Old
09-23-2003, 04:37 AM
NJDevils#4
Since 2002, bishes

I just figured Rafalski is getting a bit older, and is a FA next year. It also seems like his production has gone down a bit, as far as goal scoring is concerned anyway, and he is a non-factor on PP. With Hale and Martin coming up, I can see him being dealt if they play well.

Gomez is self explanatory.

Elias I'd hate to deal, but if we can get maybe 2 wingers or something I might do it. Then again its Lou, so who knows.

Old
09-23-2003, 08:11 AM
Blackjack

Rafalski is one of the best power play quarterbacks in the league, the problem on the powerplay was certainly not on the points. Rafalski is almost as good a defneseman as Niedermayer, and is a better passer and playmaker, it makes far more sense to try to sign him than it does to trade him.

I don't understand how Gomez is self explanatory. He's making pocket change to score 50-60 points per year and is our only semi-reliable scoring line center. I don't see any reason to trade him.

What two wingers are you going to get for Elias? Certainly neither will be better than Friesen or Langenbrunner, so you'd be plugging a second line hole at best. Not a good reason to deal him IMO.

For arguments' sake, Madden is also a UFA after next season, but I wouldn't dream of trading him. I think Niedermayer is a UFA after the work stoppage too. Impending free agency is no reason to trade unless you are coming up on the trade deadline and your team is out of the chase.

Old
09-23-2003, 09:15 AM
ctynan44

Send a message via AIM to ctynan44 Send a message via Yahoo to ctynan44
Here's my list of 3 Devils that I think will be traded:

1) Gomez
2) Elias
3) one of Bicek/Rupp/Berglund

Old
09-23-2003, 09:41 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
1) Patrik Elias. If fans were disappointed with his gloom and doom stuck in the past moodswings, repeated slumps, and continuing downward spiral scoring production trends last season just think how they'll react en masse to yet another year like this previous one with the added stipulation hanging over his head that you can now bank on him for 82 points! That was an awfully bold prediction for him to make to the NY Post this past weekend. Give the man credit for stepping to the pump and calling all the attention in the world to himself like this, but wow could it ever backfire big time from a fans perspective. Folks were growing impatient with him two plus seasons ago. I think he'll be dealt for possibly two balanced consistent goal scorers sometime around or after Dec. 30th.

2) Christian Berglund. Still waiting for him to be this impressive agitating offensive force upfront who will help fans forget all about losing Bobby Holik's chippiness/tenacity. Didn't really think much of him last season in his callups. Less consistency game to game then what Rupp had all in all. Looks to be like the NJ Devils version of Landon Wilson without the awesome playoff round against the Hurricanes he had when he played for Pat Burns in Boston. Tons of potential there, but what will it take to ever get it out of him consistently.

3) Stephen Guolla. Not sure his future has a NJ Devils sweater with his name on the back at this point.

Old
09-23-2003, 10:59 AM
John Flyers Fan

Question for Devils fans

What's the deal with Berglund, and why does he not play on a regular basis ???

Whenever I see him, he always plays well. Good skater with good size, looks to be like a typical Devil.

I know if I had my choice I would much prefer him over the injury-prone Gionta.

Old
09-23-2003, 11:17 AM
JasonMacIsaac

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Question for Devils fans

What's the deal with Berglund, and why does he not play on a regular basis ???

Whenever I see him, he always plays well. Good skater with good size, looks to be like a typical Devil.

Last year it seemed he wasn't skating well, he came into camp in bad chape and not ready for the season. This year he looks alot better with his speed and if he continues to play well in camp he should keep a position, depending on his camp, maybe on the top line with Elias or a spot on the 4th line.

Old
09-23-2003, 12:23 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Did he have any injuries besides his broken ankle last year? I can't remember any.

Old
09-23-2003, 03:09 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Pretty sure the broken ankle was the only one of significance. He might have missed some other games with the flu as it seemed like at one point in time every Devils player/coach/asst. coach had the dreaded flu bug when all the talk of SARS was in the news. I know in advance that the Devils will get an all out incredible effort from start to finish from Brian Gionta. Same thing can't be said about last years Christian Berglund. Hopefully he puts it all together this season and he works on his consistency and intensity a lot moreso. Little G. works his tail off in practice AND in games and it shows even if it doesnt find its way into the post game recaps and box scores.

Old
09-23-2003, 04:38 PM
Blackjack

I agree with you about Gionta, and I think the Devils organization does too, that's why he's not fighting for a spot. I remember when that damn flu was going around, it seemed like every day somebody else had it.

Old
09-23-2003, 04:40 PM
Niedermayer21

I love Sarge and do NOT wish to trade him. But he is getting older and more brittle. I know he will sign with us when his contract is up, but I rather get something for him a year too early than a year too late. If Bicek and Berglund can make the team, there might not be enough room for Brylin AND Turner Stevenson on the 23-man roster. I rather trade Sarge than lose Bicek in the waiver draft, if that is the case. I have to look at the rules again and see who we have to protect.

Can anyone other than me envision this lineup at year's end?

Elias--Larionov/Foster--Suglobov
Friesen--Madden--Langenbrunner
Pandolfo--Rasmussen--Marshall
Pihlman/Rupp--Gomez--Gionta/Berglund

Rafalski--Stevens
Niedermayer--Hale/Brown
Martin/Giroux/DeMarchi--White

Brodeur
Schwab

Where does that leave Sergei Brylin and Turner Stevenson, if they are not already on the IR? Just thinking ahead!

Old
09-23-2003, 04:58 PM
Blackjack

Where is this brittle stuff coming from? The guy is 28 years old and is one of our heart and soul players. He was injured last year because someone crunched his wrist into the boards. I find that Sergei keeps himself in unbelievable shape considering the abuse he takes to make plays and how hard he goes into the corners.

Old
09-23-2003, 05:05 PM
Sticky*

I don't think that the Devs' will trade Elias.

Old
09-23-2003, 05:11 PM
NJDevils#4
Since 2002, bishes

Quote:
Where is this brittle stuff coming from? The guy is 28 years old and is one of our heart and soul players. He was injured last year because someone crunched his wrist into the boards. I find that Sergei keeps himself in unbelievable shape considering the abuse he takes to make plays and how hard he goes into the corners.
Agreed. But he still won't ever get any respect unfortunately. I find myself not giving him respect and I watch him play well day in and day out. Just one of those types of players i suppose.

Old
09-23-2003, 05:35 PM
Guttersnipe
Leave Zubrus Alone!

Quote:
I don't understand how Gomez is self explanatory. He's making pocket change to score 50-60 points per year and is our only semi-reliable scoring line center. I don't see any reason to trade him.
I was actually refering to how he is always named in trade rumors, not that everyone wants him gone (I have a Gomer jersey myself).

When the WFAN interviewed Gomez in camp they asked him what it was like to be constantly named in trade rumors. He doesn't like it but he's used to it. He did say it was pretty depressing to be watching Sportscenter with your roommate one night after a game and hear that "by tomorrow morning Scott Gomez will be a LA King".

Closed Thread