HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why the hate against Larry?

View Poll Results: What do you think about Larry Brooks?
I like him a lot 39 21.43%
He ok 44 24.18%
I'm neutral 31 17.03%
Not my cup of tea 29 15.93%
Can't stand him 39 21.43%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Why the hate against Larry?

I've always wondered why there's so much hate against the guy. I always liked him more than any other writer in New York.

The biggest beef against him seems to be that he makes up rumors. But I don't think that he does. I distinctly remember him calling several trades, including major ones like Turgeon and Palffy with Dead Fish.

His hit-and-miss seems very good. Obviously not all trade negotiations will pan out. Even if Slats was blogging about his daily activities, most of the trades he discussed would not pan out. Didn't you guys ever do fantasy hockey or tried to buy a house or tried to get a job/employee?

When he writes about things that already happened but not yet known, he's almost always right.

It seems like the guy is being bashed for doing good journalism work. He gets more new information - which is the real job of a journalist - than all the other New York writers combined.

Meanwhile John Dellapina states his opinion and everyone thinks he's great because he has the same opinion as most people. He plays it safe and everyone loves him.

Even with Brooks states his opinion, he's more likely to go out on the limb. I like that. Even if I disagree, it makes me think. In fact, that (thinking out of the box) also is a sign of good journalism. Dellapina makes me fall asleep.

I don't have any personal connection to any of these guys, nor to any others. But Brooks gets bashed all the time and to me, he's the most worthy of the name journalist.

Am I the only one here who thinks that? I'd really like people's opinions.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 01:30 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I opened this thread thinking that Brooks wrote an article about Dancing Larry

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Because he's a dick.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Kind of Blue

While I'm not exactly a fan, I have felt like he's had his finger on the pulse pretty consistently over the last year or two, and I've been pretty satisfied reading him. In the past, I really disliked his work. (Not sure if there was a shift or its something that can be attributed to me or something else)

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Ranger_Engineer
ordo ab chao

At times, he's a sensationalist and his writing style is amateurish, but I appreciate that he asks the hard questions sometimes.

Ranger_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 02:01 PM
pld459666

used to get pissed off at him, but I've come to understand Larry Brooks.

He's a reporter for the NY post....that's where in begins and ends. He's looking to post content that you and I will buy and read (well read on the internet)

There are things he says I do not agree with and there are things he says that I do agree with.

Met him at the ice Hutch in Mt. Vernon chatted with him a bit. He seemed like a nice enough guy.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I like brooks, and think he has gotten way better over the years. I liove that he sees the need for a physical brand of hockey. I love that he hates to see Henrik get run over.

Could do without some of the rumors he used to post, but...lets face it. Brooks has a very tough GM to work with here. Glen just never gives the fanbase anything. I think he does a good job.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 03:39 PM
greasch#4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I thought the same thing. I have been enjoying Dancin Lary's work on Califorinication...

greasch#4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

The NY Post is a tabloid so that's why his stuff seems "sensationalist" or "amateurish" at times. It's the type of newspaper you are reading.

I like what he has to say more often than not, and when I disagree I just disagree. He is good to read when the team is doing bad because he isn't afraid to call people out unlike some like Gross or Zipay who are more "nice".

I still think Gross is the best with Zipay a close 2nd in terms of how much information they provide. Brooks is good commentary.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:19 PM
HAPPY HOUR

When there are three papers in front of me and I'm looking to read about hockey, I always have reached for the Post first.

He did annoy me a bit during the lockout with his over the top support of the players, but he is paid to give his opinion and i respect that.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Nick00

I like him because he asks the tough and honest questions and tackles the controversial subjects that other beat reporters are afraid to touch.

Sure sometimes he goes too far with his provocative attitude, but he brings personality to the coverage and it makes the articles more interesting and entertaining to read.
Zipay and Gross are great for up to the minute information but the little commentary they provide is bland and sterile.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:28 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

My favorite was Walt McPeek of the Star Ledger..He fell off the face of the earth about 10 years ago..Second favorite was Frank Brown..I read Brooks everyday,so i guess i like him..

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Heat McManus

Brooks isn't that terrible when it comes to the game itself. He adds sensationalist crap regarding trades and signings that make him no better than Garrioch, but when he's commenting on hockey he's not that bad.

I don't read the Post because I think 99% of it's utter garbage, but I think it's great that they actually give a good amount of ink to the Rangers. The Daily News didn't even mention the US WJC win.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:15 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I'm neutral. Sometimes he writes really good articles, sometimes they're garbage.

Old
01-09-2010, 05:40 PM
mucker*

The better question is, why is Larry so well known amongst non-Ranger fans leaguewide and why isn't there another bigdog in town in the media, why not JohnD from the Daily News, to get attention?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:46 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucer View Post
The better question is, why is Larry so well known amongst non-Ranger fans leaguewide and why isn't there another bigdog in town in the media, why not JohnD from the Daily News, to get attention?
John Dellapina doesn't work for the Daily News anymore. He's been working for the NHL for about a year now.

Old
01-09-2010, 05:54 PM
BwayBshirt

In print, the Post easily has the best sports section of all the papers because they give sufficient space to everybody. The others why even bother?

As for Brooks, when he's not rumor-monging he's just fine.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 06:07 PM
The Thomas J.*

There was a period of time, before the lock out & maybe the 1st year after the lock out that I really hated Brooks, He was just throwing so much **** out there trying to see if anything would stick, he was bashing messier on a regular basis & it drove me crazy. Alot of his articles were just head scratching, somedays it did not even seem like he was trying back then.

The past couple of years it seems to me he is more on with his articles than in the past, I don't know if he is trying harder or has better sources, but I'm ok with him now than I was.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 07:00 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
You are not alone.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 07:15 PM
blue2noise

The fanboys don't like him because the truth hurts.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Back From Cally

He can write some awesome articles but can also write some terrible ones, and his reported "trades" kind of annoy me but overall i think hes pretty good overall.

Back From Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:14 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

The Rangers have one regulation loss in their last 12 games. Would you know that by reading ANY LB article? I voted neutral, but the Post is really negative about the Rangers and NY sports in general.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 05:09 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
The Rangers have one regulation loss in their last 12 games. Would you know that by reading ANY LB article? I voted neutral, but the Post is really negative about the Rangers and NY sports in general.
That's a great point.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG MVP View Post
He can write some awesome articles but can also write some terrible ones, and his reported "trades" kind of annoy me but overall i think hes pretty good overall.
Actually, that's my favorite part. I don't think he makes up stuff like Ek does. I think that he's reporting real negotiations, but as with any negotiations, whether in the NHL or when buying a house or anything, they usually fail.

But it's interesting stuff to know.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:54 PM
blueshirt4lyfe

Brooks is very negative about the rangers, but sather has done alot of stupid **** over the years. He calls it like it is.

I happen to like his articles and the fact that he gives a lot of info.

Some of his commentary is stupid though. for example, he said anisimov's potential was a defensive third line center with some offensive upside. wtf?

blueshirt4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote