HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

If Rozsival is so terrible, why does he get so much ice time?

Old
01-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Ice Hockey

vCash: 500
If Rozsival is so terrible, why does he get so much ice time?

I think the hate for the guy around here is uncalled for and it appears he's hated no matter how he plays. He's been consitently playing solid hockey and nobody can argue with that. Pound for pound his contract is much better than Drury and Redden's. Flame away, sirs!

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 03:21 PM
BrianNYR

People dont like him because hes not really all that much to watch. Hes big and clumsy, and sticks out like a sore thumb when he makes a mistake
I dont think hes been all that bad this season and doesnt deserve to be booed every time he handles the puck at MSG.
He has a much better K than dreary and dreaden but he gets grouped in with them because his contract is similar to theirs.

BrianNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
I think the hate for the guy around here is uncalled for and it appears he's hated no matter how he plays. He's been consitently playing solid hockey and nobody can argue with that. Pound for pound his contract is much better than Drury and Redden's. Flame away, sirs!
Because a lot of people on here have nothing better to do then pick a target and grill him now matter how hard he tries or well he does. I think Staal has been playing much better when paired with Rosie also

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 03:23 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

To answer your question, someone has to get ice time. We have 2 d-man who we would love to not give them a ton a ice time. Redden the other. Can't go with 4 d-man.
I don't care how either of them play-good or bad. In a perfect world neither would be on the team for me. If I can still get rid of both I'd do it in a NY minute.
Rozsival is tradeable. Redden is a lost cause. They need to find some way to park him in Hartford.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 03:24 PM
ruckus*

Once Rangers fans turn on you there is no turning back. One of the problems with having a larger fanbase means having tons of people who think they're huge fans but in reality don't know what they're talking about. Rozsival also is the type of player whose mistakes are far more noticeable. Terrible giveaways and turnovers. Falling down at terrible times. Pinching and getting caught.

The biggest thing though like I said is Rangers fans have made up their mind. Once that happens there is no turning back.

The most embarrassing part is when the guy assists on 2 goals and gets boo'd at home during the announcements of those assists like on Wednesday against the Stars.

I understand the fanbase has made up their minds. Fine. But boo the guy for the things he deserves to be boo'd for then. Boo'ing him when he assists on goals and they're making the announcement really pisses me off. I feel for the guy regardless of how much he makes.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Not a big fan of bashing players. But...lets call a spade a spade here. Roszival has been terrible since he resigned for the big contract. Even if he has played harder lately. He is supposed to play that way all the time.

He was rewarded with an exhorbitant salary and since then has been collecting paychecks and nothing more. How many reasons do fans need to not approve of this guy?

The lazy coasting into corners
Constantly losing one on one battles
The inability to throw a hit, or even playing even remotely physical.
Coughing up pucks all to often always at inopportune times.
Never even so much as a dirty look when Henrik gets run over.
Inability to be the PP QB they were hoping when he resigned.

Sorry for the Rozsival lovers of the board, but the reality of it is this guy brought the hate on himself.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 03:39 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNYR View Post
He has a much better K than dreary and dreaden but he gets grouped in with them because his contract is similar to theirs.
What does this mean???

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 03:47 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Rozsival has been much better recently. Rozsival's contract structure makes him tradeable. $4 million next season and $3 million in 11-12. The Canadian dollar closed yesterday at 97 cents. Three weeks ago,Bettman said if the CDN dollar stayed at the current level of 94-95 cents,the cap would increase by $1 million or so. The dollar has gone up which means the cap will go up. The loony is expected to reach parity with the US dollar this year.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:01 PM
satrabyk

If he was American it would probably be a different story. Sad but True. The guy plays a solid game on D, always has no matter how much the so called Ranger fans boo him. The times he makes mistakes usually comes at home because again we have these fans putting him in difficult situations by getting on his case, and he cannot play his game. Is he worth somewhere from 3.5 to 4 in my opinion yes, but hey there are worse D contracts much worse.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Once Rangers fans turn on you there is no turning back. One of the problems with having a larger fanbase means having tons of people who think they're huge fans but in reality don't know what they're talking about. Rozsival also is the type of player whose mistakes are far more noticeable. Terrible giveaways and turnovers. Falling down at terrible times. Pinching and getting caught.

The biggest thing though like I said is Rangers fans have made up their mind. Once that happens there is no turning back.

The most embarrassing part is when the guy assists on 2 goals and gets boo'd at home during the announcements of those assists like on Wednesday against the Stars.

I understand the fanbase has made up their minds. Fine. But boo the guy for the things he deserves to be boo'd for then. Boo'ing him when he assists on goals and they're making the announcement really pisses me off. I feel for the guy regardless of how much he makes.
I agree with this, you shouldn't boo a guy when he does something right. Boo all you want when he makes a dumb play that results in a puck in our net. If you don't like him when he gets an assist, keeping your mouth shut is good enough. Nobody's making you cheer for him.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Its entirely because of his contract. Rozsival is a good 2nd pairing dman who was a 1st pairing during Jagr's tenure which earned him a big paycheck. Unfortunately, no matter how well he does, like Drury and Redden his support will be limited by his salary.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Vitto79

Rozy has his moments. He got his contract because he was a high scoring Dman a few yrs back

If the right deal comes of course they move him though, lets not kid ourselves. The Better he plays the better the team plays though. He and Redden will always be hated because of their contracts though

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Ice Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Not a big fan of bashing players. But...lets call a spade a spade here. Roszival has been terrible since he resigned for the big contract. Even if he has played harder lately. He is supposed to play that way all the time.

He was rewarded with an exhorbitant salary and since then has been collecting paychecks and nothing more. How many reasons do fans need to not approve of this guy?

Sorry for the Rozsival lovers of the board, but the reality of it is this guy brought the hate on himself.
do you live in an area where you aren't able to watch ranger games? sure sounds like it!

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:20 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Because a lot of people on here have nothing better to do then pick a target and grill him now matter how hard he tries or well he does. I think Staal has been playing much better when paired with Rosie also
Agree, I've always thought Rozy and Staal have been at their best when playing with each other. They've played together for the most part since Staal broke into the league and have decent chemistry.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:31 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post

Say what you want about Rozy, but he tries hard. It's not lazyness, unfortunately, the guy is just slow.

As far as physicality goes, Rozy has 61 hits, ranked 10th on the team, 21 more than Redden and Gilroy. He has 76 blocked shots, ranked 2nd the team. Rozy is not as soft as you make him out to be.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:35 PM
The Thomas J.*

The 1 thing that drives me crazy about him is that He cannot handle the puck while on a power play. How many times have we seen him unable to control the puck, it skips over the blade of his stick, or he just isn't able to make a play to keep it in. It's a killer.

When Rozi is on he is on, when his confidence get's shaken it takes a while for him to get it back.

He is not as over paid as other guys on this team, & he is tradeable in the off season.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:51 PM
FLYLine24*

He's been playing better over the past month and Torts is using him a bit more.

Torts doesn't like to play the rookies in the 3rd periods in close games all the time, he'd rather play vets (or Staal)...which im perfectly fine with as long as Rosy is playing well, which he has been.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

hes been playing better once paired with Staal.

Girardi was playing much better once paired with Staal.

pretty much anyone who is paired with Staal starts playing much better. I wonder why.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Rozi has been a bit better but IMHO it's the extra second he takes with the puck that makes me have issues with him. It's that delay that closes the passing lane or shooting lane and once his options are exhausted he's screwed.

He's had that issue for two years now.

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:17 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
What does this mean???

Strike outs...

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:36 PM
tjs252

Using ice-time as a measure of value is about as useful as using at bats in baseball.

Somewhere along the line, someone has to get minutes.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:37 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
1) Because nobody else is there to take his spot. Having so much ice time as a veteran with Redden as the only other guy with over 5 seasons does not say a lot.

2) I still feel if we had Malik that Rozivahl would be more comfortable and play better. Those two had chemistry.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucer View Post
1) Because nobody else is there to take his spot. Having so much ice time as a veteran with Redden as the only other guy with over 5 seasons does not say a lot.

2) I still feel if we had Malik that Rozivahl would be more comfortable and play better. Those two had chemistry.
Malik is no longer playing in North America, in case you haven't heard.

And I think Roszival has earned his minutes over the last 2 months.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 08:10 PM
bumrusherer

Its not that he is terrible, its that he is playing below a level that a lot of us feel he could consistently play at.

But yes, he is getting minutes because who else will get them? I mean you could run Staal, Girardi and MDZ out there for 40 minutes a night but that might make them tired after a week.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Back From Cally

He's pretty good most of the time, but when he actually makes a mistake it seems to cost the team. For example he'll turn the puck over in the offensive zone when everyone has already started the breakout and it leads to a 2 on 1 or he'll lose the puck on a powerplay and the other team will take it the other way. I don't think his contract is nearly as bad as Redden's or Drury's, but I still like him the least of the 3. I think its stupid that he'll get boo'ed for no reason at the garden. Personally I think Redden has been the better of the 2 this year but some people can't seem to let go of last season and continue to see him as worthless because of his contract. But as many people have said on this board numerous times, if you want to blame someone for the ridiculous contract blame Sather not the player. The players going to take the maximum offer that he gets.

As far as the amount of ice time he receives, don't forget that we have 2 rookies on the team and Girardi who can't handle too much ice time as we've seen this year. It makes sense to give a veteran more ice time.

And as the most tradable contract of the big 3, I think it would be in our best interest to try to get rid of him at the deadline to a fringe playoff team who needs a veteran on the blueline.

Back From Cally is offline   Reply With Quote