HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What kind of a contract do you think Marc Staal will get?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-09-2010, 05:02 PM
  #1
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,908
vCash: 500
What kind of a contract do you think Marc Staal will get?

Just curious. Staal doesnt put up points like MDZ (though he isn't far behind with 15 points considering he doesnt play the PP nearly as much), but he is so damn important to this team right now (and in the future) its ridiculous. Hes the anchor for the defense, plays every game, plays a crapload of minutes, plays against the teams top opposition...hes hugely important.

so, the question is, how much do you think he gets this offseason? If its me, id love to lock him up for 5 years or more if we could, hell id even go with the 10-12 year contract and underpay him for length if that can be done... Guy should be in Ranger blue for the rest of his career imho.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:07 PM
  #2
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Guy is fairly overrated by management and fans and will therefore likely get a contract larger than he should. I assume he has arbitration rights so I don't think 3.75 mil is a stretch at all.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:08 PM
  #3
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
Well offense is starting to come from him more now so that would bump up him tag a bit,

-He's on pace to double his offensive production from last year with and could end up with 30 points, and that's with very limited PP time.

-His defense over the past month is the defense we've all grown to love and expect from him nightly. The rough patch early on in the team was Staal trying to do to much to fast...it's to be expected when a defensive player is told to be more offensive.

-He averages the most ice time on the team at just under 23 minutes (but on some nights plays over 25 minutes, again with almost no PP time)

-He is our #1 Dman on the team, and would be a top pair dman on any team(except the Flames maybe).

I see something like this for him in the offseason:

2-3 years at 4.25-4.75M

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:10 PM
  #4
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Well offense is starting to come from him more now so that would bump up him tag a bit,

-He's on pace to double his offensive production from last year with and could end up with 30 points, and that's with very limited PP time.

-His defense over the past month is the defense we've all grown to love and expect from him nightly.

-He averages the most ice time on the team at just under 23 minutes (but on some nights plays over 25 minutes, again with almost no PP time)

-He is our #1 Dman on the team, and would be a top pair dman on any team.

I see something like this for him in the offseason:

2-3 years at 4.25-4.75M
i was hoping more like 5-6 years at 4.5M per.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:11 PM
  #5
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i was hoping more like 5-6 years at 4.5M per.
That wouldnt be bad at all for us, but I doubt Staals agent would accept a long term deal like that.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:14 PM
  #6
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
That wouldnt be bad at all for us, but I doubt Staals agent would accept a long term deal like that.
either way, Rozsival and Redden have to go so we can accommodate our own young, excellent players, thats for sure.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:14 PM
  #7
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,619
vCash: 500
Staal has no arb. rights. Sather could handle Staal like he did Dubinsky... wouldn't be surprised if Slats offered him a contract in the range of $3 million.

Hopefully Staal gets locked up relatively early so we don't have to worry about it the whole summer like with Dubi.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:16 PM
  #8
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Staal has no arb. rights. Sather could handle Staal like he did Dubinsky... wouldn't be surprised if Slats offered him a contract in the range of $3 million.

Hopefully Staal gets locked up relatively early so we don't have to worry about it the whole summer like with Dubi.
Well that helps. No point offering a guy with no arb rights 4-5 million.

How many 1 dimensional dmen get 4 mil, even as UFAs anyways? Staal may be an O.K. 1B. Doesnt mean he deserves a UFA's top pairing contract.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:19 PM
  #9
Emptyvoid
Registered User
 
Emptyvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,366
vCash: 500
Hmmm i'd love to sign Staal is a long long term deal (Duncan Kieth like) for a reasonable cap hit.

Those deals scare me though because you don't know what the future brings....

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:21 PM
  #10
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i was hoping more like 5-6 years at 4.5M per.
Some of the comparable contracts that will be used by both sides in the negociations will be:

Brent Seabrook: 3yr 3.5million
Cam Barker: 3yr 3.1million
Ryan Suter: 4yr 3.5million
ME Vlasic: 4yr 3.1million

All 2nd contracts for those players. Staal should not get more money then Suter or Seabrook. Both of whom are considered very good shutdown D-men that can put up points (more pts then Staal has so far as well). Both are on their countries respective olypmic squads.

3 or 4 years at around $3-3.25 million cap hit is closer to what he will get. He will not get $4 million + unless he signs long term, like over 5 years long term.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:22 PM
  #11
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Well that helps. No point offering a guy with no arb rights 4-5 million.

How many 1 dimensional dmen get 4 mil, even as UFAs anyways? Staal may be an O.K. 1B. Doesnt mean he deserves a UFA's top pairing contract.
hes 54th in the NHL in points by a defenseman. Meaning, on average most teams have only 1 or 2 defenseman who have scored more points than him. You have to believe that at least 1 of those defenseman, on each team, plays regular PP minutes, and odds are both of them do. On our PP, the first 2 options on the blueline are MDZ and Kotalik, next 2 are Gilroy and Rozsival. Staal gets very very little time on the PP.

This season hes been much better offensively, and defensively hes been just as strong for about 80% of the season (he did have 1 rough spot, but thats long behind him imho)

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:24 PM
  #12
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Some of the comparable contracts that will be used by both sides in the negociations will be:

Brent Seabrook: 3yr 3.5million
Cam Barker: 3yr 3.1million
Ryan Suter: 4yr 3.5million
ME Vlasic: 4yr 3.1million

All 2nd contracts for those players. Staal should not get more money then Suter or Seabrook. Both of whom are considered very good shutdown D-men that can put up points (more pts then Staal has so far as well). Both are on their countries respective olypmic squads.

3 or 4 years at around $3-3.25 million cap hit is closer to what he will get. He will not get $4 million + unless he signs long term, like over 5 years long term.
Hmm..I guess i'd lower my offer then after seeing that...About 3.5 for a couple years sounds right.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:25 PM
  #13
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
hes 54th in the NHL in points by a defenseman. Meaning, on average most teams have only 1 or 2 defenseman who have scored more points than him. You have to believe that at least 1 of those defenseman, on each team, plays regular PP minutes, and odds are both of them do. On our PP, the first 2 options on the blueline are MDZ and Kotalik, next 2 are Gilroy and Rozsival. Staal gets very very little time on the PP.

This season hes been much better offensively, and defensively hes been just as strong for about 80% of the season (he did have 1 rough spot, but thats long behind him imho)
He has been, its my personal opinion that he is over performing offensively right now. If he's not, fantastic. But I dont see him as a dman who will put up more than 22-23 points a season.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:25 PM
  #14
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 30,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Brent Seabrook: 3yr 3.5million
Cam Barker: 3yr 3.1million
Ryan Suter: 4yr 3.5million
ME Vlasic: 4yr 3.1million

I would be extremely happy if we could sign him something along the lines of those 3. I can see a 1 year deal however relatively cheap and then going for big bucks following summer.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:26 PM
  #15
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Some of the comparable contracts that will be used by both sides in the negociations will be:

Brent Seabrook: 3yr 3.5million
Cam Barker: 3yr 3.1million
Ryan Suter: 4yr 3.5million
ME Vlasic: 4yr 3.1million

All 2nd contracts for those players. Staal should not get more money then Suter or Seabrook. Both of whom are considered very good shutdown D-men that can put up points (more pts then Staal has so far as well). Both are on their countries respective olypmic squads.

3 or 4 years at around $3-3.25 million cap hit is closer to what he will get. He will not get $4 million + unless he signs long term, like over 5 years long term.
yep, good research there...i definitely want to lock him up long term. like i said, ideally id love to sign him for like 10-12 years at a lower cap rate but the tradeoff is he gets security for that entire team. hell throw in a NMC. the kid is the real deal, he has been since the moment hes stepped on the NHL ice. no reason to feel his game will fall off, especially since youd be signing him right through his prime years.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:27 PM
  #16
EmDeeZee4MVP
Registered User
 
EmDeeZee4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Well that helps. No point offering a guy with no arb rights 4-5 million.

How many 1 dimensional dmen get 4 mil, even as UFAs anyways? Staal may be an O.K. 1B. Doesnt mean he deserves a UFA's top pairing contract.
Bingo.

No chance he gets $4mil. I can see him getting somewhere between $2.75m-$3m per.

EmDeeZee4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:34 PM
  #17
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Hmm..I guess i'd lower my offer then after seeing that...About 3.5 for a couple years sounds right.
Now you see what it is like to look through the eyes of Glenn Sather lol. Give RFA and UFA offers without doing research.

"Ah Chris Drury, I think your worth...(Throws a dart at a wall with dollar figures on it)... $7 million over 5 years.... Damn i'm good". Then Thinks to himself," I'll use the same process for Wade Redden next summer as well! Seeing how good this process has worked so far!"

lol

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:36 PM
  #18
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
yep, good research there...i definitely want to lock him up long term. like i said, ideally id love to sign him for like 10-12 years at a lower cap rate but the tradeoff is he gets security for that entire team. hell throw in a NMC. the kid is the real deal, he has been since the moment hes stepped on the NHL ice. no reason to feel his game will fall off, especially since youd be signing him right through his prime years.
And a 10 year deal would put him "only" at the age of 32 when the contract is up. Still could be in his prime, but on the tail end of it.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:54 PM
  #19
clmetsfan
Registered User
 
clmetsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,781
vCash: 500
Those 10-year contracts scare the crap out of me. Ideally I'd like to see us lock him up to something like 6 years, $22 million.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:58 PM
  #20
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
I'd like to see a 20 year contract with the last 5 years paying 525K.

If the other teams pull that crap so should we.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 06:01 PM
  #21
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Those 10-year contracts scare the crap out of me. Ideally I'd like to see us lock him up to something like 6 years, $22 million.
They don't scare me as much when the player is 22 years old when they sign the contract. It does when the player is 27 or older. Staal wouldn't sign for 3.66 million per year for 6 years. Over 5 years the Rangers would have to put up $4 million or more per season, because they would be cutting into his UFA years.

The most realistic scenario is either a 2 year deal w/ a cap hit of $2.75 million ($2.5 the first year and $3.0 the second) or a 3 year deal w/ a cap hit of $3.25 ($3.0 the first year, $3.25 the second, and $3.5 for the third).

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 06:09 PM
  #22
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,440
vCash: 500
3yrs @ $2.75M per. He hasn't proven to be as capable offensively as a guy like Seabrook or Suter. I could see the Rangers possibly going a little higher if it meant pushing the contract an additional year or two.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 06:40 PM
  #23
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.
 
OrbitalDynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stalag Luft LGA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,984
vCash: 50
3 @3.25ish.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 06:40 PM
  #24
bumrusherer
Registered User
 
bumrusherer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
3 million per for a 3-4 year stretch. He is back to being that solid defender now after a month of being quite shaky and careless.

We cant overpay though because none of us really expect to see a great offensive game sprout out of him but we will have to bend a little, seen as how important he is already and how good he is already.
22 years old playing like a 30 year old.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 06:46 PM
  #25
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post

How many 1 dimensional dmen get 4 mil, even as UFAs anyways? Staal may be an O.K. 1B. Doesnt mean he deserves a UFA's top pairing contract.
Jeff Finger, 3.5. Mike Komisarek, 4.5.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.