HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wake Me Up In 6 Weeks...Habs Lose 2-1 in OT

Old
01-10-2010, 01:01 AM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
Because people in general look for someone to blame and it is too easy to blame the goalie, especially when you have two #1's.. When one of them loses, the argument is that the other one is better and that we would have won with him.
I agree, but I also think that the vast majority of people don't know enough about hockey so they convert to an easy thing to analyze, which is goaltending. I mean its easy to judge whether a goal was weak or not, or how a goalie played. However, the majority of posters can't come up with something like this:

This game was a tight match, between two conservative teams. Unfortunately, I think the major reason the Habs didn't pull out the win was going 0/3 on the PP. We had a chance to go ahead late in the second, and the PP was completely lackluster. Special teams are incredibly important in this game now, and that was a major difference, although the PK was quite good. Another thing I didn't like about thier game was the gap between the defensemen and forwards was much to large for the majority of the game. On a number of instances, the Montreal defenders had possession of the puck, but instead of the forwards(or even just one) coming back to support and give options, they opted for touch passes and long low percentage passes that hurt the breakout and cost us possession. Another problem was in the offensive zone we are having trouble driving to the net with the puck, too often we have room and space down the wing but elect to pass the puck or take bad angle shots, I would like to see players drive to the net with the puck more often on the rush especially.

Some things I did like about this game were the defensive coverage down low, and around the net. Sans the goal by New Jersey, very little room was given on the end boards and in front of the net that allowed the Devils' players to create chances. Mara did a particularly good job of this, as this was one of his best games in a Habs jersey. When Mara is on, he is a tough opponent to beat 1 on 1 and tight ropes the line between being aggressive and choosing when to be passive. I also liked the Gionta, Gomez and Pouilot line, like usual. They created the majority of the Habs' chances on 5 on 5 play. Gomez played an excellent game, he carried the puck as well as all season, made some great feeds to supporting players and helped out on the defensive end as well. I also liked their ability to get the puck deep and keep pressure in the offensive zone, something they have been clearly working on. I also liked their physicality as well, they laid out a number of good hits, and a few of them angered the opposition to the point of almost taking penalities and getting into fights, would like to see that continue.

No one really had a bad game, which was nice to see, but on the other hand there was only a handful of players that had good games in my eyes, which is probably why they didn't come out with the win. In the end, this game was essentially a coin toss, a well contested match against two teams. Its unfortunate that it ended on such a fustrating play where the Devils' player broke his stick and ended up getting a breakaway out of it, but thats how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
He actually plays wing with the Dogs, I remember reading an interview on Cyberpresse earlier in the year saying he hasn't played center in a while. I too would like to know if he has the speed and the strength to survive in the NHL, I keep thinking back to Maxwell last year who looked literally invisible for 3 games.

I think Trotter has earned a callup though, however perhaps they have plans for him as they do for Subban.
Wow cool, he's been playing wing, thanks for the info. Makes me wonder what the hold up is then. I understand why they would want to keep Subban down for the year but a forward is bit different, especially one that would surely just be a band-aid till Kostitsyn gets back. I get the feeling that Martin and Gainey are going to (or maybe have?) give D'agostini and Paccioretty a shot on the 1st line before making a call-up. I'll admit that D'ago hasn't played badly on that line, but it must be clear to the coach and the brass by now that he just doesn't have the knack to make things happen with two very talented players. Can't know if Trotter would be any better, but Gainey doesn't have anything to lose. I think it would be silly to do anything rash like make a trade, but Gainey needs to get creative here. After all, the next six weeks could make or break the season.

Last edited by Markowicz: 01-10-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 02:04 AM
PyrettaBlaze

Holy ****. I'm beginning to think that 90% of the people who post on the Habs board either just started watching hockey this year, or are just a bunch of immature 14 year olds.

I don't even know why I bother coming back to HF... What happened to the good old days where the posters were actually knowledgeable and knew what the **** they were talking about? People are actually blaming Halak for the loss? Are you ****ing kidding me?! He was ****ing outstanding! I mean, we have posters from the Devils' board saying he was pretty damn solid, but yet we have morons here who think we lost because of him. I don't even get the whole Price vs Halak debate... We have two great goalies, end of story. All you fanboys are ruining the boards. You're supposed to cheer for the TEAM not individual players.

PyrettaBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:09 AM
CuteHockeyBunny

I think everyone knows that the goalie debate makes 0 sense. They're both legit #1 goalies and they're both equally (for the sake of argumentation) good.

Everyone knows our real problem is our offense. We have close to 0 depth up front.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:32 AM
Rizzuto88

if only we had more guys with grit.....Good game by Moen stepping up. Maybe BGL and the rest....should step up and watch what moen does.

Rizzuto88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:47 AM
TomPlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
you call this a breakaway !?!??!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIWmik-Gqi0
What's the difference? If anything, that goal is harder because the goalie has less time to adjust. He was ALONE in front of the goalie. Price made the first stop and had nowhere to put the rebound because Elias was right in front of him.

That's not the point here though. It's people like you who give this fanbase a black eye. No one should be blaming Price for that game. And thanks for proving my point EXACTLY.

Let me make this clear: in no way am I blaming this loss on Halak AT ALL. That's not what I'm trying to get across. I'm just trying to show half of this stupid fan base the CLEAR double standard when it comes to Price vs. Halak. It needs to be done because I'm so ****ing sick of seeing a new thread pop up about it every single day.

Neither Price nor Halak are the reasons for our recent losses.

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:03 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRacicot View Post
Oh, really, eh? Whatever happened to the "win and you're in, lose and you're out" system you guys are so quick to trumpet when Price loses 2-1? You people ... my God.
I never ever trumpeted that . It's the way Martin is working but I hope he changes it because Halak has never ever gotten the opportunity to start after a good performance (despite a lose) unless Huet or Price was injured.

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:06 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
What's the difference? If anything, that goal is harder because the goalie has less time to adjust. He was ALONE in front of the goalie. Price made the first stop and had nowhere to put the rebound because Elias was right in front of him.

That's not the point here though. It's people like you who give this fanbase a black eye. No one should be blaming Price for that game. And thanks for proving my point EXACTLY.

Let me make this clear: in no way am I blaming this loss on Halak AT ALL. That's not what I'm trying to get across. I'm just trying to show half of this stupid fan base the CLEAR double standard when it comes to Price vs. Halak. It needs to be done because I'm so ****ing sick of seeing a new thread pop up about it every single day.

Neither Price nor Halak are the reasons for our recent losses.
you've never watched hockey before heh ? A rebound and a breakway goal are two differnet things. That goal was brutal because it was such a weak shot that there was no reason for Price to give up such a juicy rebound. If he chooses to give up a rebound, he should make sure it goes far away from the net and no where near Elias.

Old
01-10-2010, 04:48 AM
TomPlex

Quote:
you've never watched hockey before heh ? A rebound and a breakway goal are two differnet things. That goal was brutal because it was such a weak shot that there was no reason for Price to give up such a juicy rebound. If he chooses to give up a rebound, he should make sure it goes far away from the net and no where near Elias.
1) That goal was nowhere near brutal. He made the initial save with Elias in tight. Like I said, it's hard to control that rebound because Elias was essentially on top of him.

2) Regardless, you're proving my point. You're on Price for that goal whereas I haven't said a thing about the goals that Halak allowed tonight. Almost every Price hater gives Halak carte Blanche for the goals he lets in but every single goal Price allows gets analyzed under a microscope. It's a vicious double standard.

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 05:17 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
1) That goal was nowhere near brutal. He made the initial save with Elias in tight. Like I said, it's hard to control that rebound because Elias was essentially on top of him.

2) Regardless, you're proving my point. You're on Price for that goal whereas I haven't said a thing about the goals that Halak allowed tonight. Almost every Price hater gives Halak carte Blanche for the goals he lets in but every single goal Price allows gets analyzed under a microscope. It's a vicious double standard.
Absolutely not. Halak's goal tonight (the first one) was brutal.

But please don't compare Parise on a breakaway to a bad rebound given up by Price. This is funny because it's usually Halak who is blamed for "bad rebound control"

Old
01-10-2010, 07:12 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Holy ****. I'm beginning to think that 90% of the people who post on the Habs board either just started watching hockey this year, or are just a bunch of immature 14 year olds.

I don't even know why I bother coming back to HF... What happened to the good old days where the posters were actually knowledgeable and knew what the **** they were talking about? People are actually blaming Halak for the loss? Are you ****ing kidding me?! He was ****ing outstanding! I mean, we have posters from the Devils' board saying he was pretty damn solid, but yet we have morons here who think we lost because of him. I don't even get the whole Price vs Halak debate... We have two great goalies, end of story. All you fanboys are ruining the boards. You're supposed to cheer for the TEAM not individual players.
This ^.
Sometimes i can't believe how downhill we are going here. Grow up people and start cheering for the HABS ! The only way these debates end is by us winning
6-2. That way you will realize that goaltending ISN'T the problem. It's our not so potent offense. Sheesh.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:13 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Absolutely not. Halak's goal tonight (the first one) was brutal.

But please don't compare Parise on a breakaway to a bad rebound given up by Price. This is funny because it's usually Halak who is blamed for "bad rebound control"
You know, I've heard so much about Halak's bad rebound control (and it's evident he gives up quite a few), but I honestly can't think of more than one instance where it actually cost us a goal.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:16 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

why was everyone blaming MAB for letting Parise loose???
Markov was the one on his ass behind Brodeur

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
why was everyone blaming MAB for letting Parise loose???
Markov was the one on his ass behind Brodeur
because some people are arguing that once Markov pinched in, there should be somebody who is covering for him back there ...

it's hard to blame one person back there .. I could easily say one of the forward should of been back once Markov pinched in. Those things happen in a game , you see it in the nhl everyday.

Old
01-10-2010, 09:39 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
because some people are arguing that once Markov pinched in, there should be somebody who is covering for him back there ...

it's hard to blame one person back there .. I could easily say one of the forward should of been back once Markov pinched in. Those things happen in a game , you see it in the nhl everyday.
I think the reason people are blaming Bergeron is because he was on that side of the ice at the blueline. I could be 100% wrong, but I think their were two forwards, Markov, and Bergeron. When Markov pinched in, Bergeron was still at the blueline and oblivious to the fact that Parise had went to the bench.

I don't blame Bergeron as much as I blame the team for not being aware.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Great game by Halak , deserves to get the start on Thursday !
He played very well and made some huge saves in the game especially in the 3rd,but the 1st goal was a crappy one that should have been stopped

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:51 AM
RushDP

Quote:
I think a lot of people are just trying to show the other side of the story. I think Halak played a great game, almost identical to Price's game against the Devils, yet after Price's loss it was HIS fault that we lost the game. Price let in a bad goal, Halak let in a bad goal, they both played great for the remainder of the game, and then they both let in a goal on a breakaway.

You have to admit that plenty of Halak fans would've been all over Price for letting in the 1st goal and the goal against Parise, whereas they won't even discuss the goals now because Halak was in nets.
Well said. This goalie comparison is as stupid as the debate that Halak should start because he wins. Well if the "you win you play" reward system is for real we should see Price on Thursday.

Both these goalies will suffer with the way they are being played IMO. Keep one trade the other and bring in a veteran number 2. I'm sick of these Halak Price debates.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Missing in Action

I know it's been awhile since I've been here but here is my two cents.

We need to remember that Hockey is a team sport. One person cannot carry the weight of the team all by themselves. It takes everyone to do their part and contribute. The first NJ goal was suspect however Halak gave the team everything he had to keep them in the game and potentially even win it against a top conference rival. We need more offense but Cammalleri was trying his best and the Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta line has been great as of late. We need to keep in mind that this team hasn't played a game at full strength at all this season and as far as I'm concerned they did not look out of place tonight. Mistakes happen but as long as the Habs keep on trucking things will happen!
Don't trash our Habs, Support them! The season is not over yet.

Missing in Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Go Habs Go

Halak can't be blamed for this. He played a great game.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He played very well and made some huge saves in the game especially in the 3rd,but the 1st goal was a crappy one that should have been stopped
yes but he absolutely robbed the Devils 4-5 times and 2 of them , I thought were 100% goals but Halak somehow got across to make the save.

Old
01-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Lemurs

NJ fan weighing in. I love reading GDT's here in the Habs forum most of the time, just good stuff. I do have to admit to being baffled by the Halak-hate this game. As somone who has watched virtually every game of Brodeur's career, I can tell you a few things.

1) Even on their best days, Brodeur, Luongo, Hasek, or Roy would only stop Parise on a breakaway maybe 50% of the time. He is money in the bank in 1-on-1 scenario. It's uncanny. I've seen few players as good, and certainly none in NJ's history are even in his galaxy.
2) Even the best goalies give up 1 soft goal from time to time. The key is never giving up 2, and not giving it up late in the game. Halak gave up a sorta-softie in the 1st, then locked it down tight. He did his job. The rest of the team didn't do theirs. They needed to get him 2 goals, and they needed to not hang him out to dry. They did neither.
3) That was as good as I've been the Habs play NJ since Roy left town. Even including 07-08. It actually has me concerned if we face MTL in the playoffs if the games all play like that one.

Lemurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurs View Post
NJ fan weighing in. I love reading GDT's here in the Habs forum most of the time, just good stuff. I do have to admit to being baffled by the Halak-hate this game. As somone who has watched virtually every game of Brodeur's career, I can tell you a few things.

1) Even on their best days, Brodeur, Luongo, Hasek, or Roy would only stop Parise on a breakaway maybe 50% of the time. He is money in the bank in 1-on-1 scenario. It's uncanny. I've seen few players as good, and certainly none in NJ's history are even in his galaxy.
2) Even the best goalies give up 1 soft goal from time to time. The key is never giving up 2, and not giving it up late in the game. Halak gave up a sorta-softie in the 1st, then locked it down tight. He did his job. The rest of the team didn't do theirs. They needed to get him 2 goals, and they needed to not hang him out to dry. They did neither.
3) That was as good as I've been the Habs play NJ since Roy left town. Even including 07-08. It actually has me concerned if we face MTL in the playoffs if the games all play like that one.
The whole thing is constant retaliation now. Price gets **** on for everything so them some people rip Halak when the same happens and vice versa.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurs View Post
And then I saw this post, NOW I'M A BELIEVER.
Not a trace, of stu-pi-di-ty,
I'm in love, ooooooooooh-ahhhhh, I'm a believer!

Seriously, thank you.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
So? If he lets in one goal like that and then proceeds to shut the door for the rest of the game against one of the best teams in the conference (until Parise is allowed to do whatever he wants from the blueline in), why bother bringing it up?

Halak played very well... at least he's getting a few backhanded compliments now. People wanted him to show up against the best teams in the league, he stops 26 of 27 shots, but lets in a breakaway (against one of the best wingers in the game, who had all the time in the world to do whatever he wanted) to lose in overtime. Halak played great last night and absolutely robbed the Devils on more than just a couple of occasions.

Unbelievable how insecure Price fans continue to get, trying to exaggerate every little mistake as if they possibly overshadow Halak's great performances lately. We are all reasonably sure which one of the two is going to be here long term, but seriously at this point many (not necessarily you, despite my choosing your post to respond to) are clearly revealing themselves to be the completely biased and inept armchair analysts that I already suspected they were.

In other news, I thought Gomez had a really good game, and turned a few good looks into good opportunities, and made nothing but solid decisions both with and without the puck. I have been ragging on him a lot, as you all know, so I would be remiss if I didn't applaud him on a performance like last night. Would have been a really nice capper if he could have gotten the overtime winner for the Habs, especially against his old team.

And Brodeur, well, he was unfortunately Brodeur. Man, that guy is great. Not like y'all didn't know already, but damn.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 01-10-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:45 PM
IRON JELLY*

Quote:
That goal was brutal, because our defense literally let Elias waltz right in there uncontested.

When someone takes a shot from a foot away it's pretty damn hard to have any sort rebound control, you just have to get in front of it and hope your defense can clear the rebound if there is one. Unfortunately there was, and unfortunately the only person close enough to get the rebound was Elias.

Blame the defense on that one, not Price.

IRON JELLY* is offline   Reply With Quote