HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers getting involved for Kovalchuk?

Old
01-09-2010, 11:11 PM
captainpaxil

vCash: 500
i kinda got flamed for this cuz yes it is insane but the only way i could see the flyers doin this is as a colossal blockbuster.

to atl
danny briere
kimo timonen
pat maroon/ other prospect not on roster
conditional 1st

to philly
tobias enstrom
ilya kovalchuk
ondrej pavelec
conditional 1st

teh conditional 1sts are for if kovy does or doesnt resign. atlanta gets a seat filler in briere and is a better team now with both players locked up for a while plus a possible first and the flyers free up enough capspace to make signing kovalchuk a possibility. we get pretty hosed if kovy doesnt re sign but the conditional 1st would at least lessen the blow.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:15 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Parent/Coburn + Hartnell for an unsigned Kovalchuk + conditional 2nd.

Parent/Coburn + Hartnell + Briere for a signed Kovalchuk.

That's the extent of my offer. Since it's not going to happen, Kovalchuk never becomes a Flyer if I'm Paul Holmgren.

EDIT: Don't like it? Unfair value? Who cares? Kovalchuk will not be a Flyer.
I agree. It's not going to happen, I don't care.

We're playing good, we don't need any trades.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:18 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Who cares if Carter is over 6' foot and doesnt use his size a lot? The dude scores goals and is a solid offensive threat.

We have tons of guys who hit and can't score, it seems so silly to ***** about one of the few guys who CAN score. At least Carter doesnt get injured and miss games like Lindros or Forsberg always did.
because the poster i responded to made a point about how he's the only big center we have. What's the point of saying he's a "big" Center if he doesn't use his size.

And yeah, I noticed he could score, but thanks for reminding me.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:08 AM
rixXx

Gainey wanted Carter for Halak? WAT THE ****...

rixXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:03 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixXx View Post
Where did you see that. If so that's a pretty ballsy opening offer by the bobsled.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:13 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Where did you see that. If so that's a pretty ballsy opening offer by the bobsled.
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
From Garrioch...

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../12406066.html

Source say the Flyers are looking for help in the net because they’re not convinced that G Ray Emery is the answer. Canadiens GM Bob Gainey asked for C Jeff Carter in return for G Jaroslav Halak before the Christmas break, but Gainey’s demands are expected to change so a deal can get done

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:22 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'm sorry...what exactly is your point? Sometimes rumored/attempted trades don't actually happen? If so...genius stuff there.

The Pronger deal alone punches a massive hole in your argument, btw.
"Massive" is your go-to adjective, eh?

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 05:33 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixXx View Post
I like Halak and think he's the real deal but Gainey must be off his meds.

"Yeah, Paul, hey this Bob Gainey. Just wanted to call you with a bat**** insane trade proposal. Right, just as crazy as usual, Paul. So, I was thinking Halak for Carter."

*click*

"Hello... Hello?"

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 05:37 AM
decadentia

Carter for Halak? Did Gainey think karma owed him something after trading for Gomez?

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 06:08 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I like Halak and think he's the real deal but Gainey must be off his meds.

"Yeah, Paul, hey this Bob Gainey. Just wanted to call you with a bat**** insane trade proposal. Right, just as crazy as usual, Paul. So, I was thinking Halak for Carter."

*click*

"Hello... Hello?"
Paul: I'm still here.

Bobsled: So...?

Paul: Um . . . . give me a second here . . . (shakes magic eight ball) . . . 'signs point to no'. My counter is Pyorala and a cheese steak for an hour alone with your wife.

Bobsled: I am kind of hungry . . .

Old
01-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
i kinda got flamed for this cuz yes it is insane but the only way i could see the flyers doin this is as a colossal blockbuster.

to atl
danny briere
kimo timonen
pat maroon/ other prospect not on roster
conditional 1st

to philly
tobias enstrom
ilya kovalchuk
ondrej pavelec
conditional 1st

teh conditional 1sts are for if kovy does or doesnt resign. atlanta gets a seat filler in briere and is a better team now with both players locked up for a while plus a possible first and the flyers free up enough capspace to make signing kovalchuk a possibility. we get pretty hosed if kovy doesnt re sign but the conditional 1st would at least lessen the blow.
Yeah, don't see two vets with NMC waiving them to go to an Atlanta team without Kovalchuk and the team's best goalie.

Kovalchuk will cost, bare minimum, Carter and JvR or Giroux. Probably more.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Banger

there's no way this is happening. Flyers don't have the extra pieces it will take nor the cap room. The assets they can or may want to trade all have no movement or no trade clauses.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 08:14 AM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
the only "big" name i can think of the flyers havent been linked to in a while is marian hossa.

as far as trading carter for halak. i'd kill myself if that ever happened.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Yeah, don't see two vets with NMC waiving them to go to an Atlanta team without Kovalchuk and the team's best goalie.

Kovalchuk will cost, bare minimum, Carter and JvR or Giroux. Probably more.
I'm pretty sure if Waddell is sure he won't get Kovalchuk resigned, he would be happy to get Carter in a deal straight up, or JVR and a pick. Carter and JVR together would never happen. Ever. Particularly in a capped NHL.

Old
01-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if Waddell is sure he won't get Kovalchuk resigned, he would be happy to get Carter in a deal straight up, or JVR and a pick. Carter and JVR together would never happen. Ever. Particularly in a capped NHL.
If the Flyers are among 4 teams involved, he'll get that. The other teams will drive up the price to insane levels.

Hell Chicago could offer Sharp, Versteeg and Cam Barker just because they'd need to clear the cap room.

Besides, the Flyers would have to offer Carter plus $2.5mm in salary just to fit Kovalchuk's current deal.

Old
01-10-2010, 08:28 AM
sickamore

This all sounds like such a horrible idea it's almost a lock that Holmgren will do one of these or possibly find something worse.

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamore View Post
This all sounds like such a horrible idea it's almost a lock that Holmgren will do one of these or possibly find something worse.
The ONLY way it's a good idea is if Holmgren can unload a veteran guy with a lot of years left and convince Kovalchuk to re-sign for less than the rumored $10mm per year.

Old
01-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
If the Flyers are among 4 teams involved, he'll get that. The other teams will drive up the price to insane levels.

Hell Chicago could offer Sharp, Versteeg and Cam Barker just because they'd need to clear the cap room.

Besides, the Flyers would have to offer Carter plus $2.5mm in salary just to fit Kovalchuk's current deal.
I want to disagree with you . . . . but the starting price for Halak is Jeff Carter. So, I clearly don't know what I'm talking about.

Hopefully the Flyers aren't the team that overpays for him. If I was Chicago, I don't even know that they're not better off keeping Versteeg, Sharp and Barker for this year. Depth is huge for a cup run, and they're kicking the hell out of everybody as it is. Why mess with a winning formula if you don't have to? I understand that at the end of the year they're going to have to make some choices, but they're better off just making some trades for picks at the draft and restocking the system (as opposed to using those assets to get a rental). With the dollars they have committed to their core, they'd do well to ensure they have some affordable talent on ELC's to surround them with for the next few years.

Old
01-10-2010, 08:51 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Garrioch is the Eklund of Canada. No one believes a word the guy says.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
I want to disagree with you . . . . but the starting price for Halak is Jeff Carter. So, I clearly don't know what I'm talking about.

Hopefully the Flyers aren't the team that overpays for him. If I was Chicago, I don't even know that they're not better off keeping Versteeg, Sharp and Barker for this year. Depth is huge for a cup run, and they're kicking the hell out of everybody as it is. Why mess with a winning formula if you don't have to? I understand that at the end of the year they're going to have to make some choices, but they're better off just making some trades for picks at the draft and restocking the system (as opposed to using those assets to get a rental). With the dollars they have committed to their core, they'd do well to ensure they have some affordable talent on ELC's to surround them with for the next few years.
Gainey asking for Carter was just wishful thinking that Holmgren was drunk or had been hit in the head with a shovel.

I agree that trading for Kovalchuk is dumb and doesn't do enough to help the Flyers on the ice or in the books.

To get him, the Flyers would need to clear at least two big contracts, and then have to replace at least one of those big contracts with a spare part...

Say they could do it for Hartnell and Timonen. Obviously, Kovalchuk replaces Hartnell, but then they have to rely on Syvret or Parent to replace Timonen, because they'd be paying Kovalchuk the same amount of cap room they were handing to Hartnell AND Timonen.

I see the interest-Kovalchuk is a machine. Putting him with a good, top notch playmaker is adding a 50 goal guy. But under a cap?

Old
01-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Did you read the whole thread, or just skip to the end?

The whole argument was vintage mountain-out-of-molehill. Anyone who took exception to it should probably step outside and have a cigarette.
I did...at no point did your point ever really make much of any sense. Therefore the question for clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
All of this plus the fact our prospect pool is so shallow that trading Giroux or JVR (a guarantee in a Kovalchuk deal) just completely obliterates our stock of young players. It's not happening.
Screw the prospect pool...if you want to deal for Kovalchuk you have to move serious salary in order to make it happen, and that's before whatever young players you're going to have to look at.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
"Massive" is your go-to adjective, eh?
In the "I don't really care" writing of the message board world.

Sure.

Old
01-10-2010, 09:54 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I did...at no point did your point ever really make much of any sense. Therefore the question for clarification.
You've over-analyzing then. You're right, rumors that didn't come true. Rocket science it was not. I don't see where clarification is needed unless you're trying to write an essay.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
You've over-analyzing then. You're right, rumors that didn't come true. Rocket science it was not. I don't see where clarification is needed unless you're trying to write an essay.
Just trying to better understand what the hell you were trying to point out and then argue with folks about.