HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers feel Stepan is year away,McD ready

Old
01-10-2010, 06:23 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers feel Stepan is year away,McD ready

Quote:
There was speculation following the tournament that Team USA captain and Rangers' draft pick Derek Stepan would bolt Wisconsin to play junior hockey, but Slap Shots was told on Friday by a well-placed source that the center will complete his sophomore year with the Badgers.

The Blueshirts, we're told, believe Stepan needs another year of development either at school or in junior hockey before he's ready to turn pro, but are keenly interested in getting Wisconsin defenseman Ryan McDonagh -- acquired from Montreal in the Scott Gomez deal -- into the organization following the completion of this, his junior season.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...MVQXTzaBPXY9vK

The Wisconsin people fear Stepan will bolt after his sophomore season.

The Rangers need a physical defenseman in McDonagh's mold in the worst way.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
I think McDonagh is ready as well. He's looked pretty good in the couple games I have watched.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 08:38 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Get the feeling the Rangers don't have a good handle on Stepan

Reading some of Clark's comments from a few days ago

Quote:
Chosen in the second round of the 2008 Entry Draft (No. 51) out of Shattuck-St. Mary's prep school, Stepan has 22 points in 18 games as a sophomore this season at the University of Wisconsin.

"He's a very highly skilled guy with his head and hands," Gordie Clark, the Rangers' director of player personnel, told NHL.com. "We were hoping the body would have to mature and come along. He's a little ahead of the curve right now."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=512343

Quote:
Clark said when center Derek Stepan was drafted in the second round in 2008, they were unaware of his leadership qualities. But as captain of the U.S. team, Stepan, who is attending Wisconsin, was impressive on and off the ice, and "that's a big plus for Derek and us."

Clark said scouts compare Stepan's playmaking skills to Craig Janney (563 assists in 760 NHL games) and Adam Oates (1,079 assists in 1,337 games). "I don't know if I'd put him in that category, but they can make a play at any time to win you a game and that's what he showed," he said. Stepan led all players with 14 points on four goals and 10 assists.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...team-1.1688045

Old
01-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
that's really cool to hear i'm excited to get McD in our lineup, he sounds like a hard hitting dman that is what we need, i think the big question is how do we get rid of a large contract dman.

I'm excited to stepan to join the team, they say he is a year away, but maybe, if he is already ahead of the curve he may just surprise and open a lot of eyes i training camp in september, i mean a guy that plays big like that lead the WJC with 14 points, not sure how many games, but that is a great player and I think will be great for us, if not next season definitely the 2011 season

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:09 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
that's really cool to hear i'm excited to get McD in our lineup, he sounds like a hard hitting dman that is what we need, i think the big question is how do we get rid of a large contract dman.

I'm excited to stepan to join the team, they say he is a year away, but maybe, if he is already ahead of the curve he may just surprise and open a lot of eyes i training camp in september, i mean a guy that plays big like that lead the WJC with 14 points, not sure how many games, but that is a great player and I think will be great for us, if not next season definitely the 2011 season
Maybe Girardi becomes the odd man out. Group II this summer with arbitration rights. Could be a group III next summer. Trade him.

Old
01-10-2010, 09:19 AM
bumrusherer

However we feel about our Franchise off the ice. I think we can all agree that over recent years they have done a good job with promoting prospects at the right time and avoiding stunting their growth because of undeserved promotions.

I'd go along with what Brooks said. IMO, you lean on the side of caution with forwards...so Stepan can take his time, for me.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:23 AM
FLYLine24*

People who think we are going to get a Big Beukeboom type player in McD are going to be very disappointed.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

So Stepan is a puck distributor eh?

Who said McDonagh was beukeboom? From what i've heard he is a complete, well rounded defenseman in all aspects of the game. Unlike our prospects like Sauer or Kundratek, Sanguinetti and Heikkinen, he has the potential to be a legitimate 1A. Very excited about this guy.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:39 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
So Stepan is a puck distributor eh?

Who said McDonagh was beukeboom? From what i've heard he is a complete, well rounded defenseman in all aspects of the game. Unlike our prospects like Sauer or Kundratek, Sanguinetti and Heikkinen, he has the potential to be a legitimate 1A. Very excited about this guy.

No...no he doesn't.

Old
01-10-2010, 09:40 AM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Maybe Girardi becomes the odd man out. Group II this summer with arbitration rights. Could be a group III next summer. Trade him.
definitely should trade him. i feel like his value was at an all time high this time last year. its never going to get higher than it is now...he's not getting younger and he's not really gonna get any better.

he'd be a nice piece of a package deal for a top 6.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:46 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
definitely should trade him. i feel like his value was at an all time high this time last year. its never going to get higher than it is now...he's not getting younger and he's not really gonna get any better.

he'd be a nice piece of a package deal for a top 6.
I'd say we have to get rid of at least one of the big contracts on defense anyway (and I think Rozy in the summer coul have a tiny little bit of value to cap floor teams as his salary will be well below his cap-hit) and then we should rather keep Girardi as a "veteran"

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post

No...no he doesn't.
Suit yourself. I made this assessment based on watching college hockey and how he has played with the competition. I think he can be a Paul Martin-esque top pair defender.

Old
01-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Also per hf; "If not a No. 1 blueliner, he has the talent to easily stake a long-term claim on the first defensive pairing. "

Old
01-10-2010, 10:11 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
Suit yourself. I made this assessment based on watching college hockey and how he has played with the competition. I think he can be a Paul Martin-esque top pair defender.
I think/hope that McDonagh can be a Brooks Orpik type of player, this is where I see his development going. I don't think he is going to put up alot of points at the next level, but will be a physical tough to play against Dman.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:12 AM
The Perfect Paradox

I haven't gotten to watch McD, what is his game like?

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...MVQXTzaBPXY9vK

The Wisconsin people fear Stepan will bolt after his sophomore season.

The Rangers need a physical defenseman in McDonagh's mold in the worst way.
We had the Brooks poll the other day here, and pieces like this are why I think uncle Larry is among the best.

Even though they may seem small little drips of info, he seems to have them with more frequency than on others, maybe Gross being the exception. Also, love what he is saying about the World Junios game. Definately a scheduling blunder by having NHL games on the same night as the Gold Medal. The need to work around that next year. The more people tune into those World Junior games, the better it is for this sport.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
I haven't gotten to watch McD, what is his game like?
Balance to his game. He is capable in all areas, but obviously the hype is on his hitting because there is a distinct lack of that in the Ranger's system.

My personal assessment is a first pair version of Dan Girardi, I think he will be a better skater and passer than Dan.

Old
01-10-2010, 10:20 AM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
Balance to his game. He is capable in all areas, but obviously the hype is on his hitting because there is a distinct lack of that in the Ranger's system.

My personal assessment is a first pair version of Dan Girardi, I think he will be a better skater and passer than Dan.
Very nice to hear, sounds like he has some snarl to his game. Sounds like the type of guy we can use on this team. I really can't wait to see the D next season.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:26 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

It would be easy to project the D next year but it's so much up in the air what's going to happen to Rozsival and Redden.
Will both be here? Will one be gone? Will both be gone?

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:31 AM
rangerjoe

Hello Uncle Larry, anybody home?

"we believe Zach Parise is the only player on Team USA who would have been selected to play for Team Canada."

Oh really? Ever hear of a guy in Chicago with the last name of Kane?

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
It would be easy to project the D next year but it's so much up in the air what's going to happen to Rozsival and Redden.
Will both be here? Will one be gone? Will both be gone?
And then you have Girardi's contract with arbitration rights to work out. If he asks for more than 2.3 mil rangers management would be wise to let him go. Maybe we get lucky and Lowe offers him a 4 mil offer sheet.

Old
01-10-2010, 10:35 AM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
...i think the big question is how do we get rid of a large contract dman.
Bury one in Hartford. Thankfully Rozsival's annual salary dips after this season. The problem is the horrendous contract Slats gave Redden. I can't figure out if the salary or the # of years given was more brutal...

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:15 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Also per hf; "If not a No. 1 blueliner, he has the talent to easily stake a long-term claim on the first defensive pairing. "
HF saids a lot of silly stuff...saying his ceiling is a No 1 blueliner and his basement is still a first pair is grossly overrating him.

He will likely be very good second pair dman, which is still very good...hopefully to replace Girardi.

Old
01-10-2010, 11:16 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjoe View Post
Oh really? Ever hear of a guy in Chicago with the last name of Kane?
This is OT, but who would have Kane bumped off? He only plays a high-end skill game. He's not versatile. Canada's got skill in spades.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
This is OT, but who would have Kane bumped off? He only plays a high-end skill game. He's not versatile. Canada's got skill in spades.
Bergeron. or Corey Perry.

But the point is a good one, Canada needs role players more than they need skill players.