HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden to minors?

Old
01-10-2010, 11:45 AM
bumrusherer

vCash: 500
I'd love to trade his contract away but he hasnt been bad enough to send down. In fact he doesnt really hurt the team on the ice, just hurts the franchise off the ice in terms of cap flexibility. But that is their fault and not his.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Vitto79

They would not eat a 3.25 cap hit on re-entry if they were actually to demote him.

If he were demoted that's the end of his career in the NHL, and the rangers would eat the salary.[/QUOTE]

Redden is a NHL D man, His contract sucks but he is not useless

If the TB lightning and other teams buy out players and take cap hits then the Rangers would do the same if it came down to it

what I am saying is a team out there would likely claim him on re-entry so if he is sent to Hartford he would get picked up on re-call

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
No way this goes down.

No way. He'd be traded before he got sent down.
He has a no-trade clause (Except for a list of like 8 teams).

And who's going to want him?

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Too good to be true.

Even if he's played better of late... if you can erase that huge mistake (Gomez erased... Drury, Rozi, Kotalik still hurting us) you should.

I'm not saying this is the best way to erase it... it just might be the only way.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:03 PM
howztheglass

They would not eat a 3.25 cap hit on re-entry if they were actually to demote him.

If he were demoted that's the end of his career in the NHL, and the rangers would eat the salary.[/QUOTE]

I say "A" bury him in the minors Dolan can eat the contract.

'B" worst case (IF) he gets claimed on re-entry waivers and we have to eat 3.25 million the next 4 years better then paying him 6.5 million for the same span of time.

At least we would have another 3.25 million to spend for our cap sitution.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:11 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
He had a decent game last game and was pretty good against Atlanta. Before that, he's been terrible since his injury. I don't know what to think of the guy this year. Started off the year great. Got injured and played like absolute ass. Maybe he's finally healed and we'll see more solid D from the guy, but who really knows?

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Crazyhorse30

We all wish.

But remember, Garrioch is the Eklund of Canada.

Crazyhorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:33 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
it's true, they can't do it. Bottom line is they would have to eat half the price unless they want to acquire something like Jeff Finger and Jason Blake for him. It's either crap for crap or a 3.25 cap hit on re-entry

Honestly is that bad if they say lose Redden on Re-entry and play the heck out of the kids for the next few yrs?. ,DZ. Gilroy, McD,Sangs...........they can all be paid cheap till the cap hit is gone. I figure Girardi is gone due to the cap as he will be due a raise and Staal is going no where

to be honest

Its not a smart move in the long run.... imo
I'm not sure why people don't get that if they send him down he's not being recalled this season. Thus, there is nothing to eat.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:33 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Garroich is a rumor-monger! But I definately question his scources, and wonder if they aren;t anything more than fans posting on message boards.
A rumor manufacturer might be a more appropriate description. I see stuff in his columns that I never see anywhere else. None of it ever comes true.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:36 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

I doubt this is going to happen. Here's what management might be thinking however. Remember when he got benched? He freaked out, got into a yelling fight with Torts. That tells me he's a very proud guy. Maybe they're thinking if they send him to Hartford he would retire (removing his contract from the books), as he is too proud to play in the AHL. That would be awesome. One can always dream...

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:40 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Garrioch is terrible, and I'd be stunned if this actually happened.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:41 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikTheKing30 View Post
One can always dream...
I have nothing personal against Redden. By all accounts he's a good guy. But the sooner he is off the squad the better for all of us.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:10 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quick question about the re-entry waiver rule. Does it apply only to the season in which the guy gets sent down, or is it for the duration of his contract or for as long as he's with the organization?

As much as we all hate the guy because of this contract, what if we send him down and he actually plays well? What if Girardi or Staal get hurt and miss a lot of time? What if we go into next season and actually think Redden should be called back up? What if Dolan says he doesn't want to pay a minor leaguer $6 million and puts pressure on Sather to call him back up? If we waive him it seems like there's a handful of situations where we might actually want the guy back on our roster at some point. At that point there's a serious risk of another team claiming him for $3 million, and then we're stuck paying him $3 million for another couple of years. Being on the hook for that amount for a couple years might actually be worse for us than just keeping him on the team as a 3rd pairing player.

So does that risk only apply for the rest of this season, or for the rest of Redden's contract?

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Nick00

They would do this in a second if the opportunity was there to trade for a star player.
Don't think that some kind of unwritten veteran etiquette would ever get in the way.

Is that type of deal in the works... who knows (Kovalchuk?).

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:17 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post
Quick question about the re-entry waiver rule. Does it apply only to the season in which the guy gets sent down, or is it for the duration of his contract or for as long as he's with the organization?
He would have to come back on reentry only for the balance of the season he is sent down. He could start next year with NYR without going through reentry. Of course, he then could be sent down again if they chose.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Why?
Why would it?

I'd like to see it, though, so we can open up some space specifically for Kovalchuk. And only for that reason, unless Sather tries to spice things up by adding a first round pick along with Redden just to get rid of his contract straight up, and picking a nice defensman. Not too cheap and not too expensive.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:31 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

If the Rangers were going to make this move,they would have made it in December. The Olympic roster freeze is five weeks away and it ends three days before the trading deadline. Not much time remaining in the 2009-10 season to make moves.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

This would be the effective end of Red's NHL career. He won't be able to spend 3.5 years in the minors, then come back as a 36-year-old. He might attempt a try-out contract to join someone as a #6-7 defenseman for the league minimum, but even that is as likely to fail as to succeed at that point.

Because of the stupid NHLPA rules not allowing him to lower his salary, he can't even do anything to help his situation.

There's a good chance that he'd be willing to drop his salary a couple million a year to stay with the Rangers or be moved to another NHL team.

I would gladly give someone a second rounder to take Redden off our hands. He stays in the NHL and we don't have a massive contract in the minors.

Either way, he needs to be moved off the team to get a spot for Heineken who will bolt at the end of the season unless he gets an NHL spot.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Why now? We planning on trying to aquire Kovalchuk?

Its not like he has played poorly enough to justify sending him down for anything other than cap reasons.

Also... Cant we get strung up for 3.25 mil if he gets claimed by somebody?
Only on re-entry waivers does this happen.

As far as why send Red down now, I think keeping Heineken is important. I think the kid is a real asset and has a good chance of being a solid 4-5 blueliner.

Old
01-10-2010, 01:50 PM
eco's bones

Whether or not it happens this year it's going to happen eventually. I think it's unlikely that he'll be on the 2010-11 team let alone four years from now when his contract will be officially over. It's just too much cap space for what he brings. And the Rangers won't pick up half the tab for someone else. If they send him down they'll bury him.

On what it means to do it now would free up about $3 mil of cap space this year--if they're looking to add a big ticket player for a playoff run that pretty much does the trick for what's left of this season. As for how prospective UFA's might see it--the Rangers need to be more selective anyway.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Osminator

Welcome back Heikkinen and Bobby Sangs!!!

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
If the Rangers were going to make this move,they would have made it in December. The Olympic roster freeze is five weeks away and it ends three days before the trading deadline. Not much time remaining in the 2009-10 season to make moves.
Man, there will be some wild three days. GMs will be talking all throughout the Olympic break, and rather than spreading the end of the season deals over a month, on the first day post freeze, the flood gates will just burst with a bunch of trade everyone one of those 3 days.

Old
01-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Vidic15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I disagree. They make this move soon because we are getting closer to the deadline when trades are actually made. Nothing was ever going to happen in December. Rangers are handcuffed from improving the team with Rozy's and Redden's salaries at the deadline and in the summer. They need to get the hell off the team.

Vidic15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

If they do this I would imagine that Kovi would be part of (if not THE) the reason.

Can't imgine them pulling this kind of trigger just to have the "space"... Slats would be spending it.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 02:16 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Redden hasn't seemed that bad because he hasn't been getting that much ice time IMO. Maybe he's servicable, and I've been the first to defend him, but I'm tired of him being in the lineup. If we got rid of him I'm sure there are other veteran options out there not only on the trade block that would come for cheap but maybe even free agency/the waiver wire.

It won't surprise me to see him sent down at some point, especially before the trade deadline, and then bought out at the end of the year.

Being sent down to the minors is most likely not the end of Redden's NHL career, it's certainly the end of playing with the Rangers though.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote