HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kovalchuk Trade Talks Underway

Old
01-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph42 View Post

I'm sure Atlanta would ship Kovie to Chicago as soon as they offered Sharp, Versteeg and Barker, but I don't think Chicago is going to shake up the team like that when they're the #1 team in the league..
That will not be happening

We are not giving up Sharp!

Versteeg + Barker + Assets is more then enough

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
WOW.....YOU SHOULD BE A SALESMAN WHEN YOU GROW UP...
IF YOU WANT KOVALCHUK, YOU NEED TO SELL YOUR GUYS AS WHAT ATL NEEDS, NOT DISCREDIT THEM!
No, no he doesn't. I really wish people would stop trying to "sell their guys". It's ****ing ******** considering this is a discussion forum. You aren't negotiating on behalf of your team, you are just speculating about what might happen. It makes alot more sense to give an honest assessment, rather than being a raging homer.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:24 PM
teme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
This is your typical broken logic of A = B therefore B must = C. Sorry but A /= C in this case as Los Angeles is not Atlanta.
I post here so infrequently that "typical logic" is kind of funny. First of all, there are players who want the money, and then there are others who take a discount to play for a powerhouse. And Grossman's clients tend to take the money, I don't blame them for it, with the parity nowadays and teams going up and down It really doesn't even matter so much what team they play for, Lecavalier's contract for example makes it impossible for him to even get traded to say Red Wings. Players are not so stupid they won't realize this.

Second, Kings are not a powerhouse team. They had a good start, so did Thrashers. Now they are barely in play-offs, something they haven't qualified for in seven seasons. Yes they have a lot of good young and improving players, so do the Thrashers.

The most logical explanation for the Kovalchuk situation is that he is headed to KHL. And hey, why not? Money is good, he'll be in his home country, schedule is lighter and he'll get to play for the national team which is something he seems to appreciate. He can simply not sign and therefore force Waddell to trade him into a contender, thus getting a shot at the cup. And if KHL doesn't work out, he can always come back 20 million or so richer.

teme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Pierrot

Good or not , Barker is your 6th D... and you want to give him and versteeg with 1/2 draft/prospect for kovalchuk?? Come on...
Start with a 3rd/4th D and a second line, add a pick and all right.

Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierrot View Post
Good or not , Barker is your 6th D... and you want to give him and versteeg with 1/2 draft/prospect for kovalchuk?? Come on...
Start with a 3rd/4th D and a second line, add a pick and all right.
Ok,,,,

Campbell (#3 dman) + Ladd (Played on 2nd line yesterday) + pick for Kovalchuk

I like that alot better actually

Old
01-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Knowledge*

Atlanta
Kovalchuck (with 7 yr 9.2 mil a yr contract, balanced)

Buffalo
Vanek
MacArthur
Lydman
Mancari (Prospect)
2nd rd pick (2010)
3rd rd pick (2011)

This would clear the cap needed for Buffalo to accept that contract.
I think people need to understand something on Kovalchuck, he is never, and I mean never, going to get anymore than 9 to 9.3 mil a season. The system is based on player worth or value. Ovechkin and Crosby have established this at 9.5 mil a season. Kovalchuck has no track record of success like these 2 players.
Sorry Kovalchuck fans, but it is what it is.

The next question would be, Is Buffalo prepared to part with that much? I would say yes.
Lydman is a UFA.
Mancari is in the organizations doghouse (but is a good player).
MacArthur needs a change of scenery and is also a very good player.

The following players are truly untouchable, why people even attempt to put them in a deal is just baffling.

Roy (Good player, cheap price)
Myers
Miller
Ennis
Kassian
Connolly

Buffalo needs an Eric Staal (who doesn't) type center in order for Vanek to thrive to full potential. Kovalchuck would be an immediate impact on either Roy or Connolly and Stafford/Pomminville.

Buffalo should trade for him, it makes complete sense to. No one should buy into what Kozlov or Afineganov have told Kovalchuck about Buffalo. Kovalchuck wants a longterm contract with a team that will contend for the Cup for years to come.

Welcome to the new Buffalo Sabres Kovalchuck. You want a solid team that you would complete, come on over.

Knowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:46 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Ok,,,,

Campbell (#3 dman) + Ladd (Played on 2nd line yesterday) + pick for Kovalchuk

I like that alot better actually
Hell I'll give them Campbell and first liner Troy Brouwer if that's what it takes.

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:47 PM
embracedbias

Quote:

That would depend if Waddell (or any of his pro scouts) ever watch Barker play.

I think that LA could put together a better package, but I guess it depends on what Waddell is looking for.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:56 PM
who_me?

This LA team has proven nothing in terms of playoff success. Are they gonna go from missing the playoffs for how many years to all of the sudden winning the Cup with Kovalchuk? Just dumb. They should see how well they do with this team this season, then sign Kovy during the summer if that's what they think they really need.m

If LA bows out of the playoffs after a round or 2, that would hurt Kovy's chance at a 100M contract. If Chicago wins with Kovy, there will be teams offering 10M/year long term contracts, even turning over their roster to do so.

who_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 05:27 PM
JMFJ 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
Bernier doesn't get traded for a possible rental. Yes, Quick has taken over the starting job but Bernier can surpass Quick.
It's all contingent on a contract extension, DL would never trade Bernier+ for a rental, regardless of how great he is. Kovalchuk is on the way out though, he becomes worthless to ATL when the trade deadline passes.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 05:53 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
I would be surprised if the Flyers got Kovalchuk without giving up Carter.
given all the extenuating circumstances i seriously doubt the flyers consider dealing carter for kovalchuk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
Flyers would be wise to not keep dumping assets. Kovalchuk would be great, but the Flyers don't have the cap space to resign him. I think LA is probably in the best position to nab Ilya since they have the space and a plentiful cabinet of prospects/picks.
i think la is probably the best fit if they are looking for a combination of picks and prospects. they also have the cap space to deal for kovy and not move significant chunks of thier roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman25 View Post
Yeah, philly doesn't have a first or a second, this yearso Atlanta probably wouldn't get any picks from Philly. Philly also doesn't really have any good prospects, unless you count jvr.

philly actually has a couple of really solid mid tier prospects but teh guys with serious top end potential are playing on the team. as far as roster talent goes i think philly could actually make the best offer in that respect as any deal would mean freeing up enough cap space to resign kovalchuk.

i think it would be something like
danny briere
kimo timonen
marc andre bourdon
pat maroon

for
ilya kovalchuk
tobias enstrom
ondrej pavelic

with conditional additions on kovy resigning or atlanta making the playoffs

its essentally two deals one being briere + for kovalchuk and enstrom+ for timonen but the flyers pretty much have to move both to accomodate kovalchuks salary. and dealing with atlanta allows for better balance going both ways.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:

No it's not

Cam Barker SUCKS when will people realize this? and he's paid 3 million per year.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 06:08 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
its essentally two deals one being briere + for kovalchuk and enstrom+ for timonen but the flyers pretty much have to move both to accomodate kovalchuks salary. and dealing with atlanta allows for better balance going both ways.
Enstrom is better than Timonen right now, no way the Thrashers move their best defenseman.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 06:18 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Enstrom is better than Timonen right now, no way the Thrashers move their best defenseman.
Timonen has had a shaky season so far (I'd say part of this is because of Coburn's rough start), but he's still a top-tier defenseman in this league. Enstrom is having a great year, but I'm hesitant to say he's better than Timonen, who could be considered a top-10 defenseman in this league.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Torts

Do the math, well kinda

Bruins - Scoring + Kovy = Playoffs

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 06:37 PM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph42 View Post
That's the thing, Chicago doesn't need a rental to lose guys like Sharp, Versteeg and Barker. If they don't trade for Kovie, keep thier team in tact and then move someone like Campbell at the draft, they get to keep Versteeg, Sharp and Barker. They're #1 overall right now in the NHL, why would they want to risk that?

It's not about being, "thick skulled," about a rental player, it's the notion that the Hawks would want to gut their team when they may not necessarily have to.
They are going to have to trade those players that would be in the deal for Kovy anyways in the off season. I am not saying they should do it because it will make them that much better. THEY HAVE TO TRADE A WAY SALARY TO BE UNDER THE CAP NEXT YEAR. And if you think anyone will trade for Campbell you are crazy.

son of earl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Trade Sharp, Versteeg and Barker, and he may not be a rental.

Wherever Kovalchuk goes, I don't think it will be as a rental.

A denied rumor is still a rumor.
I agree with the bold but the Hawks cant afford to trade 3 key roster players for Kovalchuk..

I wouldn't be shocked to see Campbell involved in the deal...

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Romo9 View Post
No it's not

Cam Barker SUCKS when will people realize this? and he's paid 3 million per year.
Wrong...

Old
01-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
Wrong...
Yeah, he's only paid 3 million and every year loses his spot to anyone Hawks pull out of their ass from Wisniewski to Hjarmalsson to Sopel to Hendry.

Great asset you have there!

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto77 View Post
Yeah, he's only paid 3 million and every year loses his spot to anyone Hawks pull out of their ass from Wisniewski to Hjarmalsson to Sopel to Hendry.

What?

Wisniewksi lost his job to Hjalmarsson
Sopel has played well this year

Barker is not as good as Hjalmarsson

Hendry is playing well

Old
01-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I find myself trying harder and harder to think that Cam Barker is worth more than he is, but the more and more I see him play... I start thinking that he's a waste of a roster spot with the Hawks. He just doesn't fit in. This being said, Barker could definately play in the top 4 of other teams D corps and has some time to develop into his potential before he is considered a dud with this team. I'd rather have Hendry up than Barker at this point.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 06:56 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Yeah, as a Flyers and Thrashers fan, you're way off here. Half of Enstrom's points come from feeding Kovalchuk for his one-timer.

Don't get carried away.

He's solid, but Timonen is upper echelon. It's not really that close.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto77 View Post

Old
01-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slesh View Post
Atlanta
Kovalchuck (with 7 yr 9.2 mil a yr contract, balanced)

Buffalo
Vanek
MacArthur
Lydman
Mancari (Prospect)
2nd rd pick (2010)
3rd rd pick (2011)

This would clear the cap needed for Buffalo to accept that contract.
I think people need to understand something on Kovalchuck, he is never, and I mean never, going to get anymore than 9 to 9.3 mil a season. The system is based on player worth or value. Ovechkin and Crosby have established this at 9.5 mil a season. Kovalchuck has no track record of success like these 2 players.
Sorry Kovalchuck fans, but it is what it is.

The next question would be, Is Buffalo prepared to part with that much? I would say yes.
Lydman is a UFA.
Mancari is in the organizations doghouse (but is a good player).
MacArthur needs a change of scenery and is also a very good player.

The following players are truly untouchable, why people even attempt to put them in a deal is just baffling.

Roy (Good player, cheap price)
Myers
Miller
Ennis
Kassian
Connolly

Buffalo needs an Eric Staal (who doesn't) type center in order for Vanek to thrive to full potential. Kovalchuck would be an immediate impact on either Roy or Connolly and Stafford/Pomminville.

Buffalo should trade for him, it makes complete sense to. No one should buy into what Kozlov or Afineganov have told Kovalchuck about Buffalo. Kovalchuck wants a longterm contract with a team that will contend for the Cup for years to come.

Welcome to the new Buffalo Sabres Kovalchuck. You want a solid team that you would complete, come on over.
In my opinion, Buffalo overpays a little here.

Paralyzer008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 07:10 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Boston seems like the best fit.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
I agree with the bold but the Hawks cant afford to trade 3 key roster players for Kovalchuk..

I wouldn't be shocked to see Campbell involved in the deal...
Waddell will NEVER take Campbell off your hands, unless you guys are going to massively overpay.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote